PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How much for a Magic Marker?

Dormammu
2015-03-18, 03:19 PM
I'm referencing the tool from NetHack: http://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Magic_marker

Basically I'm letting it write spells into a spellbook or create scrolls quickly (in a few rounds or so, instead of days). What would the cost of such an item be? Per spell level?

Does something like this exist already?

GilesTheCleric
2015-03-23, 01:08 PM
Amanuensis from SC/ MoF might be what you're looking for. It's a 0th level spell, too, so it would be very cheap to put into a magic item (wand with 50 charges: 375gp; command word item: 900gp). Combine with one or more unseen servants to have books filled while you're busy elsewhere.

Sith_Happens
2015-03-23, 01:25 PM
Amanuensis from SC/ MoF might be what you're looking for.

Big difference between the versions of this spell. The SpC version is 0th level and doesn't work on spells from spellbooks, the MoF version is 3rd level and does. Neither can create scrolls, for that the closest thing is the Quill of Scribing in Complete Mage (1750 gp), which does all of the scribing work for you but takes the same amount of time that you would.

Necroticplague
2015-03-23, 01:35 PM
Eh, I'd just say the ink needed is the cost of normally scribing/writing things, you can 'pre-load' the marker with extra ink ahead of time, and 1 round per level of the spell to write it down. Considering the fact it only saves on time, and not a scrap of money, I'd put it on the same level as a Dedicated Wright. 5,800 to buy an empty one, ink sold seperately. Maybe a 50% markup for letting you make things in the middle of a crawl.

atemu1234
2015-03-24, 10:51 AM
Big difference between the versions of this spell. The SpC version is 0th level and doesn't work on spells from spellbooks, the MoF version is 3rd level and does. Neither can create scrolls, for that the closest thing is the Quill of Scribing in Complete Mage (1750 gp), which does all of the scribing work for you but takes the same amount of time that you would.

I like this spell. Maybe I should make another Wizard / Archivist theurge.