PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Negative Energy Everywhere

Jicnon
2015-03-18, 03:28 PM
So in our current campaign we are starting out at character lvl 14, have access to pretty much any book for choice of class/race/etc, and get the standard starting gold for lvl 14 to buy any magic items we wish(so 150k for our level). I figured it would be interesting to play a Dread Necromancer and so I told my party they should take Tomb Tainted Soul so I can heal them with my plethora of negative energy spells while hurting enemies, and they listened. For a race I am playing a Lesser Aasimar for the Cha bonus without a LA. It is a 3.5 campaign.

However, I was curious if there was a better way to go about massing negative energy or if there were any feats PrC or anything I should get to make it better. I am relatively new to 3.5 so I do not know a lot of the optimization tricks or anything like that. If anyone knows of another class which would be better, or has another guide specifically talking about how best to output negative energy I would greatly appreciate it.

Zanos
2015-03-18, 03:47 PM
Lord of the Uttercold metamagic from Complete Arcane will let you change half of any [Cold] spells cold damage to negative energy damage. Requires 9 ranks in Kn(planes), Energy Substitution(Cold), and the ability to cast spells with the cold descriptor.

Lets you throw down cold spells without hurting your allies, or healing them some if they have cold resistance.

Jicnon
2015-03-18, 07:23 PM
That is one thing I was considering as well. Mostly what I am looking for are races/classes/feats that allow me to either cast more of these spells a turn and/or make the spells I do cast of this nature more powerful. Under Dread Necromancer I don't know that there are any spells that are good for the feat you described as compared to simply me casting mass inflict wounds spells where my party is healed by the entirety of the damage of the spell.

BioCharge
2015-03-18, 07:48 PM
Dread Necromancers rebuke undead, yes? If so, the feat Profane Boost from Complete Divine allows anyone who casts one of the Inflict line spells to cast it as if it was Maximized with no adjustment or increased casting time. It's a standard action to use, but it lasts until the *end* of your next turn so that you can benefit from its use.

Profane Lifeleech from Libris Mortis allows you as a standard action deal 1d6 points of damage to every living creature within 30 ft. and you are healed for a likewise amount.

Profane Aura from Player Handbook II grants a concealing cloud and gives undead an extra 2 AC when within. Requires level 9 though.

These are just the ones off the top of my head. If I find more, I'll post.

Jicnon
2015-03-18, 10:26 PM
What about a Dread necromancer build into an Ultimate Magus or similar prestige class? I am looking for the best output of negative energy spells more than animating dead or anything like that.

Jicnon
2015-03-18, 10:51 PM
I would also be fine with switching classes if it meant I could dish out more negative energy. I just like DN because they could wear light armor already and their spells are only dependent on one stat so I could just pump everything into charisma.