PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons of Doom (Room 1)

Silkenfist
2007-04-10, 06:48 PM
Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom. You are all going to die down here sooner or later. You shouldn’t have killed the DM’s favourite character to death…or called him with the name of his female elven character in front of his boss. Now you face the consequences. As you enter the next dungeon, all of you step onto a 40 by 40 feet field teleport trap that instantly transports you in the deepest cavern of a dungeon completely unknown to you. There is no escape and there is no exit. Just try to stay alive as long as you can.

Room 1
With a silent snap, you appear in the middle of a dungeon. Startled and slightly sickened by the sudden teleport, you look around. This is certainly not the Level 3 Dungeon of Minor Inconvenience you had expected to visit.
You are standing on a narrow protrusion in front of a large chasm. Somewhere deep below your feet, you can hear a raging river but you can only guess where it is as the Chasm is filled with thick stinking smoke. Even the few of you with sight-enhancing utilities are not able to see more than a few feet into the blackish green cloud that makes even approaching the Chasm painful. As you look around, you see that the protrusion doesn’t reach far. It ends only inches besides your feet and the wet, slippery surface of the rock around you doesn’t look too inviting, besides the fact that no end of the rock above your heads is visible. As you check the rock immediately behind you, you discover a narrow passage that leads away from the chasm. Seeing no other exits, you decide to try your luck in it.
As you enter the passage, the first thing you notice is the putrid smell of the place while the featureless floors and walls offer few means of orientation. Step by step you advance the corridor, looking for branches or doors. However, there are no branches away from the main passage to be seen while the passage itself becomes more and more steep and twisting, leading up into the dungeon. For a few moments you sense hope of reaching ground level soon, but those are soon vanquished as the corridor becomes flat again. You are now standing in one of the flat sections of the corridor. Here, it is about twenty feet wide and fifty-five feet long. Behind you, it leads down in a curve, while in front of you; the corridor ends in a curve as well, staying level. The floor in this corridor is rather flat and even, while the walls and the narrow ceiling (barely seven feet) are rather cragged and uneven with a lot of bumps in them. As you advance through the corridor, you start to hear a sound in the distance. You identify a rumbling from somewhere beyond the corner, slowly but significantly increasing in size. As the echoes throughout the dungeon grow louder, you also notice the stench of the place increasing in magnitude…

What do you do? Describe your actions until Sunday, 7 AM Eastern

:durkon:: The Support Thread. Check out Gear and Physical State of you and your companions (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40427)

{table="head"]{colsp=2}The Players in the Dungeon of Doom
Aegeus|Alive
Akaziel|Alive
Altharis|Alive
Amiria, Countess of Mispelling|Alive
Calamity|Alive
Case|Alive
Castaras|Alive
Deckmaster|Alive
DLD|Alive
Eldritch Knight|Alive
El Jaspero|Alive
evnafets|Alive
Fredricus|Alive
Frigs|Alive
GenericPC|Alive
Gezina|Alive
Gnome Barbarian|Alive
GoC|Alive
Hivemind Ghost|Alive
HyramGraff|Alive
Jazzman|Alive
KewlKat|Alive
Krystal Tiger|Alive
Kyrian|Alive
Lucid Archon|Alive
Maggie the Cat|Alive
Mewtarthio|Alive
Meynolds|Alive
Orzel|Alive
pendell|Alive
pingcode20|Alive
Rigel Cyrosea|Alive
Rumda|Alive
Thes Hunter|Alive
Warpfire777|Alive
Zar Peter|Alive[/table]

Mewtarthio
2007-04-10, 11:13 PM
Hmm... Whatever it is, it sounds large... and stupid.

Mewtarthio readies his Wand of Charm Monster, though he's also prepared to quickly brandish his other wand (Cure Critical) should the stench turn out to be decomposing undead horror.

Eldritch Knight
2007-04-10, 11:20 PM
Use wand of Fireball, fling spell down hallway to illuminate oncoming monster, so that we know what it is, and so that it might be weakened.

pingcode20
2007-04-10, 11:45 PM
((For this, I am Corven Visionclear, Courier Adventurer Extraordinaire))

Corven took out his wand of cancellation, positioning himself behind Mewthario, ready to zap whatever came out. He ran his fingers along his scroll case, thinking about the deadly scroll he had been charged with carrying to the place of its destruction when he was teleported here.

DarkLightDragon
2007-04-10, 11:53 PM
DLD readies her Keyblade in a position where she can hit any monsters that come too close but can also use the gauntlets if she needs to. She also makes sure that she is behind Eldritch Knight when he uses the wand of fireball.

evnafets
2007-04-11, 12:30 AM
evnafets holds his nose to block the smell, and moves out of the center of the corridor, towards the right hand wall (the right hand wall when walking up the corridor)

Hivemind Ghost
2007-04-11, 03:24 AM
Suryc (my character for this. Apologises to Cyrus.) puls
ls out a shuriken of floating and throws it down the corridor. Then scatters some cantrops to block the way.

Castaras
2007-04-11, 03:38 AM
Castaras glances round the place, and concentrates on her pie-staff. She summons one of her deadly dwarven bread throwing pies, wielding it in one hand, waiting for the creature.

Calamity
2007-04-11, 04:37 AM
Calamity looks around the room to see where the rumbling is coming from and he readies his staff of ice for battle.

Jazzman
2007-04-11, 04:52 AM
Jazzman, his ring of invisbility active, backs into the wall, willing his (also invisible) metamorphic sword into a thick sheet of adamantine. The hilt and the tip of the blade go ethereal and into the floor and ceiling, the tangible part forming a wall of metal, which he puts against the wall at an angle, creating an invisible wedge. Once in position, the sword becomes completely tangible again, securing it completely.

Jazzman is now shielded behind the wedge, staying in contact to continue its invisibility, tensely awaiting whatever is round the corner.

Akaziel
2007-04-11, 05:15 AM
Akaziel readies Pitchfork and clings to the wall. His Wand of Jelly Thoughts is in his other hand as well, also at the ready. The Anymug has been prepared with Liquid Gelatin/Jelly.

He is now prepared to make a distraction.

What creature can't resist jelly? None, after I cast Jelly Thoughts... and what do you know? I just happen to have some with me, thanks to the Anymug. I throw it on the ground, near the monster... then cast the spell. After it gets preoccupied with its eating, we can either sneak away or kill it...

Fredricus
2007-04-11, 05:24 AM
Fredricus lights his double lightsabre and readies for the creature to come. He waits behind the corner for it.

Amiria
2007-04-11, 06:04 AM
Amiria walks up the wall a bit with her fuzzy bunny slippers and brandishes her staff over the the heads of her companions.

Deckmaster
2007-04-11, 07:31 AM
Deckmaster activates the x-ray vision function of his glasses to try and see what's coming around the corner. He also draws his scimitar and holds it at the ready.

pendell
2007-04-11, 08:16 AM
Pendell hides in shadows. Using the uneven crags, He will attempt to get off the floor somewhat, in case whatever it is is not a monster, but instead a collapsing floor or such like. While most likely a monster, the stench could be caused by a sulfur vent opening or such like.

Since he has no weapons, he will wait until one is dropped or other opportunity presents itself.

Pendell sends his cat (hereafter named Xena) ahead as scout, with orders to be VERY VERY CAREFUL and to TAKE NO RISKS, to stay in shadows and to flee back at the first sign of trouble.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Rigel Cyrosea
2007-04-11, 09:03 AM
Rigel of Cyrosea takes out a Wyrm Ditherbomb, but doesn't shake it yet. He will wait until everyone else has attacked the monster, or if things are looking bad, he will use the acid explosion to melt the wall and escape.
EDIT: He also plugs his nose.

Kyrian
2007-04-11, 09:37 AM
Kyrian uses his shades of nightvision to look around, and draws Renegade, but doesn't yet activate the blade's magic. Subconciously, he's a little jealous of DLD, since his player picked up Kingdom Hearts 2 again last night and kinda wishes his player had thought of using a keyblade. I mean, who wouldn't want a keyblade? It's a key...AND a blade. FUN!

Thes Hunter
2007-04-11, 10:55 AM
First off guys, we are going to have to work together. It's the only way we will have all the items necessary to be able to get around all these traps.

Next, before we decide the best way to tackle a problem, we need to understand it.

I am not sure that what we hear coming in a monster. The clues we have is the stench...
And...
That the floor slopes behind us, but not in front of us.
That the floor is smooth on the bottom but not on the walls.

So Mr. DM, I am sorry I drank all your beer, but could is the stench more like a sulfur stench or a dung stench, or an unwashed body stench?

Silkenfist
2007-04-11, 11:35 AM
Thes: All of the above. Remember whent that plague struck and the farmers threw all rotting pit corpses into the cesspit. That's the stench. Only a bit worse.

Eldritch Knight
2007-04-11, 11:48 AM
Me thinks... ACID!

I quickly glance behind us to see if there is anything amiss. (Spot Check, I'd assume)

Lucid_Archon
2007-04-11, 12:44 PM
Lucid sniffs the air, lost in thought. Then, he speaks. "The odor and noise seem consistent with an undead creature of some variety, but I wouldn't bank on it..." He raises a hand to touch the ceiling. "Thankfully, we know it can't have dimensions greater than seven or so feet. Oozes don't make sound when they travel, and we know whatever it is isn't flying. It may be a swarm of some kind..." Lucid breaks of from contemplation, and readies his shield, aiming to block any incoming swarm of fluid.

Aegeus
2007-04-11, 02:13 PM
Aegeus says "I agree, Lucid. It could be a monster, but it might also be a fluid of some sort, or possibly a machine. There is also the possiblitiy that the threat could come from behind, creating a cliched 'Run for your Life' scenario." In fact, judging from the unpleasant nature of the room we appeared in, the hazard is most likely to come from behind"

Aegeus faces the way they came and whips out his adamantine dagger. He then removes a sack from his bag and rips it open. He drapes the tough burlap over himself (leaving a space for his head) as an extra layer of clothing, hoping that if a flood of acid or lava comes toward him, the sack will buy him a few seconds to flee before he is incinerated. Lastly, he moves to stand behind the nearest adventurer with a large shield.
"I'll guard the rear, you guard the front, and my sack guards against acid and stuff."

OOC: Do I have enough contingencies?

Silkenfist
2007-04-11, 02:39 PM
Aegeus: Yes. You have to assume a weird crouching position but you can hull yourself in the sack.

Thes Hunter
2007-04-11, 02:47 PM
"I think EK has a good point about it being some sort of acid. Rushing fluid does make considerable about of noise. I think we all will need to crowd up next to the ceiling."

"How about all those people with spider climb slippers rope and other sorts of things pull up and protect people who don't have those things."

Thes begins to fashion a sling to hold herself up against the ceiling with her bucket, towel and the drill bit on the swiss army knife.

Zar Peter
2007-04-11, 02:52 PM
That's a good idea.

Äh, Amiria, könntest du mir vielleicht nach oben helfen? Bitte, bitte, bitte (fällt dabei auf die Knie und nimmt die Sonnenbrille ab)

Amiria
2007-04-11, 03:08 PM
"Aber gewiss doch. So schwer schaust du ja nicht aus.", says Amiria and holds out a hand to Zar Peter.

Zar Peter
2007-04-11, 03:16 PM
Vielen, vielen Dank. Ich werde versuchen mein Gewicht so gut wie möglich zu verteilen.

Zar Peter climbs up the hand of Amiria and tries to find something to hold up the wall.

Amiria
2007-04-11, 03:24 PM
Amiria shuffles to the ceiling with the gnome in tow. "I fear that I'm not strong enough to pull bigger people up." She looks out for cracks and niches in the ceiling that might serve as cover or a hiding place.

pendell
2007-04-11, 03:25 PM
Pendell continues moving up towards the ceiling on the uneven crannies and ledges, hoping that Xena can evade and jump way high when running back, if acid is what it is.

Mein Buchstabe spricht nicht Deutsches und kann niemand sehr gut erstechen nicht sprechendes Common, auf der Annahme, die sie plotten.

Continuing ...

"May I suggest that the party agree on a common language, such as English Common? "

(No, I don't speak German. If that is horribly mis-translated, blame Babelfish).

((OOC: Everyone has seen
The Giant's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2362760&postcount=17) Policy, right?)
Respektvoll,

Brian P.

Zar Peter
2007-04-11, 03:31 PM
Sorry pendell.

I begged Amiria to let me up (referring a little bit to the Blues Brothers) and she agreed.

I will not use German in this thread any more, promised!

Silkenfist
2007-04-11, 03:35 PM
But maybe I will drop important survival clues in German. Bahahaha!

Oh and to the Germans among you. I have access to fluid speakers in Finnish, Corean, Hebrew, Italian, Spain, Swedish, Polish, Czech and Russian as well. Bahahaha!

pendell
2007-04-11, 03:35 PM
No problem. If you don't mind my asking, what DID babelfish spit out at you?

I know what I *meant* to say, but babelfish probably mangled it into "Floating bicycles fish in fiery boglally" or something like.

Many thanks!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Amiria
2007-04-11, 03:41 PM
((Sure, but I might use words like leitmotiv, kindergarten, or gestalt :smallwink:

Uh, pendell, what did you enter in Babelfish ? The german translation is pretty hilarious :smallbiggrin:

"Mein Buchstabe spricht nicht Deutsches und kann niemand sehr gut erstechen nicht sprechendes Common, auf der Annahme, die sie plotten."

back-translated (by me) is

"My letter speaks not German and can nobody very good stab not speaking Common, on the presumption, which they plot."))

pendell
2007-04-11, 03:44 PM
I thought it might be. :)

What I MEANT to say was 'My character does not speak German and *may* backstab anyone speaking something other than Common, on the assumption that they're plotting'

(i.e., conspiring to do something nasty to the party as a whole)

(I also want to emphasize the word 'may', which is different from 'shall' or 'will'. It means it is a possible consequence, not that it is guaranteed to happen. My character's paranoid, but doesn't enjoy killing).

So... that's what I meant to say.

So babelfish translated 'character' as 'letter' rather than 'persona in a roleplaying game'. The author must be a nethack player :)

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Fredricus
2007-04-11, 03:44 PM
OOC: darn, so I don't get away with something I say in Finnish or Swedish. Oh, well

Fredricus cuts footholds and handholds in the wall and climbs up to the ceiling and cuts there a suitable place to sit. He offers anyone help with his rope.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-11, 04:12 PM
So babelfish translated 'character' as 'letter' rather than 'persona in a roleplaying game'. The author must be a nethack player :)

((Or a computer programmer. Though I'd expect "letter" would be slightly less common a definition than "player in a story."))

"Hey, guys, I think you might be on to something with the acid theory. This whole thing is starting to look like some sort of drain. Maybe acid, maybe just sewage, but I doubt it's something we want on us. Can anyone tell how fast it's coming? Or at least get up some sort of early-warning system?"

Jazzman
2007-04-11, 05:17 PM
Jazzman shimmers into visibility.

"I agree everyone, we're only going to die really really quickly if we just look after ourselves.

Anybody who needs to can hide behind my barrier. I've shaped it to be solid adamantine, nothings getting through THIS baby in a hurry"

Orzel
2007-04-11, 05:20 PM
Orzel takes out his magic stick. "My guess is a flood of liquid." He then places the stick between his legs and claws up a few of the footholes and handholes carved by Fredricus.

"I suggest we avoid the floor. Evening if the liquid is safe to touch, who knows what it carries."

Orzel then squeezes his legs on the magic stick and aims it to a crack in the wall.

Silkenfist
2007-04-11, 05:25 PM
Jazzman, his ring of invisbility active, backs into the wall, willing his (also invisible) metamorphic sword into a thick sheet of adamantine. The hilt and the tip of the blade go ethereal and into the floor and ceiling, the tangible part forming a wall of metal, which he puts against the wall at an angle, creating an invisible wedge. Once in position, the sword becomes completely tangible again, securing it completely.

Jazzman is now shielded behind the wedge, staying in contact to continue its invisibility, tensely awaiting whatever is round the corner.

Uhhmm...one question, though. Since when is your sword able to become ethereal? I have no problem approving it but you should stick to the descriptions of the items you gave me beforehand.

Rigel Cyrosea
2007-04-11, 05:41 PM
Rigel of Cyrosea decides to to take up Jazzman's offer of a shield. He hides behind it, thanking him.

Jazzman
2007-04-11, 05:44 PM
Sorry Silky. When I said "can change the elemental makeup" of the sword I was including the four traditional elements...the way redcloak incorporates standard D&D with his "passing grade chem" knowledge. It utilised the Air element to become ethereal.

Sorry, if you like I'll rephrase my action.

KewlKat
2007-04-11, 05:48 PM
"Hmm, I wonder if I can wedge my pole into the walls..." KewlKat says as he jabs his 10ft pole into the wall.

Deckmaster
2007-04-11, 05:57 PM
Deckmaster takes out his Tome of Infinite Knowledge. (He is still using his x-ray vision to try and see what's around the bend).

"Oh, tome, whose knowledge is infinite! Um...is that acid I smell?"

Silkenfist
2007-04-11, 05:59 PM
Sorry Silky. When I said "can change the elemental makeup" of the sword I was including the four traditional elements...the way redcloak incorporates standard D&D with his "passing grade chem" knowledge. It utilised the Air element to become ethereal.

Well...this threatens to become a philosophical debate, but to my knowledge the ether is not covered by the air element. If you can provide me with information that ether is part of the air element, you can do these tricks; if you don't, you will have to find a different trick to install your wedge. I'll look forward to it either way.

Silkenfist
2007-04-11, 06:00 PM
Deckmaster: The tome answers "Yes. Your nose is currently perceiving the smell of acid."

Orzel
2007-04-11, 06:12 PM
Orzel rocks back legs and with hard thrust yells "Arborden!" The magic stick instantly grows into a huge club and wedges itself in the wall. "Anyone with ropes, poles, or short ranged teleportation is welcome to a seat" Orzel shouts from his new wooden throne.

Jazzman
2007-04-11, 06:22 PM
No need, Silky. I'll just rephrase my action. Sorry for the mix-up.

Hmmm...okay, well if adamantine can cut through solid rock and diamond anyway, I guess I'll make the sword-hilt sharpen itself to a point, then both ends slicing up and down, embedding themselves in the rock. The same happens to the edge of the sword in contact with the wall, effectively creating a sealed wedge.

Hope that's better, Silky :)

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2007-04-11, 06:40 PM
El Jaspero pulls out his spool of endless twine and reels off enough to reach Orzel's perch six times. He then makes it into a loop and ties knots in the ends, forming a crude and rather loose rope, which he tosses up to Orzel. "Gimme a hand and tie that end to something up there, and then we can pull some more people up!"

Krystal_Tiger
2007-04-11, 06:44 PM
*first i wake up*:smallbiggrin:

Krystal_Tiger uses her ring of the living movie munches (RotLMM?) to summon a half sphere made of pizza,pies,chips and coke cans around herself and up to two other people with her. Its not as comfeting as a big wall of stone, but it'll do!

So, ill just wait here, and if I get hungry, a can grab a snack.

(*giggle*)

Kyrian
2007-04-11, 06:49 PM
Kyrian takes a quick look at his crossed out Marauders Map, and smiles slightly.

pingcode20
2007-04-11, 07:12 PM
Corven takes cover behind Krystal_Tiger's shield, still brandishing the Wand of Cancellation.

Lucid_Archon
2007-04-11, 07:20 PM
Lucid looks up at Orzel's perch. "Thanks, much better than sitting down here." Lucid grabs his pole, and vaults himself up to the ledge.

KewlKat
2007-04-11, 08:04 PM
KewlKat abandons his own attemps to wedge his pole in the wall as Orzel does so rather more successfully.

Hey, that's not a bad idea.

He leans his pole against the club temporarily and pulls himself up into a sitting position. He then grabs the pole and readies himself for any possible creatures coming this way.

Yeah, quite nice up here, thanks Orzel.

GoC
2007-04-11, 08:08 PM
GoC accepts Fredricus' offer and climbs up, readying his Staff of Power and wishing he'd brought a Staff of the Magi and a Moaning Diamond instead (who cares if they'd have broken almost all of Silkenfist's rooms:smallbiggrin:).

Mewtarthio
2007-04-11, 08:58 PM
Mewtarthio wraps himself in his cloak, mutters "sulperine," and instantly teleports onto Orzel's perch.

"Thanks, I feel a bit safer up here. Somehow, I'm beginning to doubt that Enchantment will have much of an effect on whatever's coming here."

Deckmaster
2007-04-11, 09:04 PM
Deckmaster runs all the way back to the edge of the chasm and gets out of the way of the passageway.

(if that's possible)

Mewtarthio
2007-04-11, 10:34 PM
"...Was that the guy with that massive Tome and those magic glasses? Okay, that's a little unnerving..."

Akaziel
2007-04-11, 11:10 PM
Akaziel also takes cover behind Krystal's shield, holding Pitchfork and his wand.

DarkLightDragon
2007-04-12, 12:02 AM
DLD easily gets up to a spot at the ceiling and uses the Keyblade to make a more suitable place to hide from the acid.

Not as roomy as I'd like, but it'll do.

Castaras
2007-04-12, 03:58 AM
Castaras moves back, watching the people up ahead. Her grip tightens on her throwing pie.

Rumda
2007-04-12, 06:19 AM
Rumda looks at the people climbing up the walls and get ready to use his rod of wonder on what ever is approaching

pendell
2007-04-12, 09:59 AM
Suddenly suspicious, Pendell thinks ... 'we're all getting on the ceiling ... I wonder if that's what the DM wants us to do?'

After Pendell is in a stable position, Pendell looks at his ten foot pole and says

I doubt this will support anyone's weight, but if anyone needs one, I can loan them mine.

Once he's stable, he does a spot and search check -- walls and ceiling. In particular, I'm looking to see if there are any potential secret entrances or if the ceiling is collapsible.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Akaziel
2007-04-12, 10:21 AM
Akaziel, seeing what the others are doing, decides to climb up. He carves a ladder into the walls and climbs it. He then embeds Pitchfork into the part of the wall just above the ladder and sits on the handle. "I can only hope that this can support my weight." He readies his wand, and offers some space for people willing to share (if the trident can support more than one person).

Castaras
2007-04-12, 10:23 AM
Castaras watches everyone climbing up, and stays down for the moment, summoning another throwing pie.

Hivemind Ghost
2007-04-12, 01:54 PM
Suryc looks at everyone climbing up, shrugs and sticks one of his Shurikens in his arm. Once he floats to the top of the ceiling, he tries to grab on, but realises that floating helplessly means you can't even move your arms.

"Hey, anyone want to pull this thing out? For that matter, anyone want to throw a CLW over here?"

Aegeus
2007-04-12, 02:03 PM
Aegeus decides to follow Pendell's example and extracts a 10-foot pole from his belt.
"Remember, people. A 10-foot pole (or two) will get you out of any situation."
Aegeus cuts another hole in his sack and sticks the 10-foot pole through it. He wedges it into a crack in the wall.
"If it's a sustained stream of acid, we're all going to die anyway. If it's just a flash flood, being well-braced and well-protected will be very important. And if it's a monster, hopefully the people with bigger weapons will kill it.

Castaras
2007-04-12, 02:09 PM
Castaras looks up at the people climbing. She throws one of her dwarven bread throwing pies at the chasm wall, hoping it sticks in the wall.

Kyrian
2007-04-12, 02:25 PM
If El Jaspero has finished his rope, Kyrian uses it to join the others up above.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-12, 02:59 PM
"If it's a sustained stream of acid, we're all going to die anyway. If it's just a flash flood, being well-braced and well-protected will be very important. And if it's a monster, hopefully the people with bigger weapons will kill it.

"I think the ceiling's safe enough. If this is some sort of acid, and if it's a regular occurrence, it probably doesn't fill the entire height of this... drain. See how only the floor is smooth, while the ceiling is rough?"

Aegeus
2007-04-12, 05:17 PM
"The walls are rough too, which implies that any liquid in the corridor is only a few millimeters deep, at best. I think that I can survive that long enough to climb the walls with the handholds that Fredricus carved. Anyway, I still think that any threat will come from the nasty pit of black smoke behind us, which is why I'm facing the back."

pingcode20
2007-04-12, 05:46 PM
Shrugging, Corven tweaks his ring of controlled teleportation and blinks up to the club, still brandishing the wand of cancellation.

Akaziel
2007-04-13, 07:13 AM
Akaziel ,perched on top of Pitchfork, touches the bumpy parts of the ceiling and wonders if this can be a suitable place to hang from. Even if it is, he doubts that he could hold it long enough to avoid the acid, and decides against it.

Castaras
2007-04-13, 07:14 AM
Castaras grabs her dwarven bread pie and climbs up on top of it, prepared to jump down if something comes down from the ceiling.

pendell
2007-04-13, 01:01 PM
Pendell braces himself with his 10-foot pole, then looks around to see if anyone else needs help.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Calamity
2007-04-13, 01:33 PM
Calamity decides to climb up the rope that El J and Kyrian used.

Hivemind Ghost
2007-04-13, 02:42 PM
Just then, the float effect wore off Suryc, and he started to fall, and grabbed frantically at any handhold on the ceiling. He managed to get his hand to one, and swung his feet onto a bump on the wall, and braced himself between the wall and ceiling.

Jazzman
2007-04-13, 07:08 PM
Hearing all the theories from the rest of the group about a wave of acid, or similar liquid, Jazzman decides he needs to make the wedge watertight. The parts of the sword in contact with the wall morph into a semi-liquid state edging into every rise and fall along the wall. After a seal has been formed, it immediately turns back into rock-hard adamantine.

"Guys, if it's really acid or liquid or whatever, I can keep anyone behind the wedge safe. It's a watetight seal against the wall, and I can extend it's length so it protects lots of people, and have some space left over so none of us get hit by the backwash!"

2007-04-13, 08:16 PM
El J keeps reeling out twine and helping people climb up.

Copacetic
2007-04-13, 09:36 PM
Sorry for being tardy, teacher. I was attacked by the holidays

I move close to the corner and peer at whatever is on the other side

Eldritch Knight
2007-04-13, 10:28 PM
Um... What if it's an acid breathing dragon or something? What if the acid comes from above instead of below? Acid wouldn't smooth things out, it would cause even more imperfections...

Aegeus
2007-04-14, 08:03 AM
"Yes, but other liquids, like running water or maybe even lava, would smooth out the floor. Anyway, I'm not afraid of a dragon. If you haven't noticed, most people here have some very heavy-duty weapons."

Castaras
2007-04-14, 08:05 AM
Castaras smirks and stays on her dwarven bread, watching. She summons some smaller throwing pies and watches, waiting.

Thes Hunter
2007-04-14, 11:59 AM
"Hey El J? Can I have some of that twine? It would certainly help me make my towel Hammock."

(( Thinks she shouldn't have tried to go too old school, and she could have at least made her towl have a couple magical properties. ))

HyramGraff
2007-04-14, 12:45 PM
I use my ladder to join everyone else who is hanging out up on the celling. I pull my ladder up behind me.

2007-04-14, 12:46 PM
"Yar, o'course lass."

El J reels a few dozen feet of his spool of twine and tosses it over to Thes.

Thes Hunter
2007-04-14, 08:58 PM
"Lass?!" Thes intones dangerously.

Thes then goes back to making her hammock with her towel and the twine from El J, and the club put up for support and all the holes she has drilled in the rock with the swiss army knife.

Jazzman
2007-04-15, 05:09 AM
Jazzman turns to Rigel

"Okay Rigel, if whatever comes down from there has any kind of weight to it, I'm gonna need you to help me brace the wedge."

Jazzman puts one arm against the wedge, and takes hold of Rigel, willing both them and the wedge into invisibility once more.

Jazzman
2007-04-15, 07:57 AM
((Quick question, Silky. Did you mean 7am Eastern, or 7PM Eastern?))

Castaras
2007-04-15, 08:02 AM
(( Sunday, 7 AM Eastern.

That means round about now. Don't knock it. ))

Jazzman
2007-04-15, 08:25 AM
((I'm not knocking it, I just know from the Showdown that it's often 7pm.

Shutting up now :) ))

Silkenfist
2007-04-15, 09:50 AM
Effect 1: The Sewer Purge
You will all lose your lives sooner or later, but you will lose your dignity first. You are entering the dungeon through its sewers and are about to witness what happens when the Goblin Servants have just removed an obstruction. A large flash flood of fluid wastes rushes towards you...

Survival Criterion:
Everyone who is secured to (or standing rech of) wall, ceiling or a braced object is able to hold on long enough to not be flushed away.

Altharis, Case, GenericPC, Gezina, Gnome Barbarian, MaggieTheCat, Meynolds and Warpfire do nothing except for standing in the middle of the corridor and looking dumbfounded. The flood hits them and flushes them down the sloped corridor and into the chasm below the dungeon.

Deckmaster stands on the protrusion next to the dungeon, panting heavily. He has managed to evade the flash flood but he is back at the starting point and will have to walk through Room 1 again while the others are further down.

Up in the corridor, Eldritch Knigt looks around and shoots a fireball forward to buy time. Unfortunately, this only ignites the wastes and doesn't protect him in any way. He is flushed down as well.
Rumda is not protected either. As the waye approaches him, he casts a spell off his rod of wonder in desperation. Fortunately for him, he got the correct spell. A large cone of sewage in front of him turns ethereal all of a sudden. He is still hit by the sewage but the impact is lessened enough for him to remain standing.

Evnafets stands directly at the right hand wall and is able to get a hand into one of the cavities just in time.

Jazzman and Rigel Cyrosea have a solution which is even better. They are standing behind an artificial wedge that prevents the impact completely. Still the backdraft causes at least their shoes to become soiled.

Krystal Tiger is braced behind the pizza sphere which narrowly holds firm until the flash flood has passed. Unfortunately, the food has become inedible.

Frigs has approached the corner to peek directly around. This causes him to see the flood in time and hold on to the wall since he stands directly next to it.
Next to Frigs, Xena is looking around the corner as well. Unfortunately it is not able to hold onto anything and is flushed away as soon as the flood hits her.

Pendell mourns the loss of his familiar, but other than that he is fine, as he stands on the wall with a firm grip both in the natural holds and the handholes carved by Fredriucs. Fredricus himself as well as Aegeus, Amiria, DLD, Hivemind Ghost and Zar Peter are also wedged there as well and hold on long enough to resist the flood.

The largest group of players can be found atop of Orzel's ledge that he had created out of his magic stick. Wedged firmly into the walls, it offers a safe grip for anyone on top of it: Orzel, Akaziel, Calamity, Castaras, El Jaspero, GoC, HyramGraff, KewlKat, Kyrian, Lucid Archon, Mewtarthio, Orzel, pingcode, and Thes Hunter are secured to it and survive the flood.

Silkenfist
2007-04-15, 10:04 AM
Loot Criterion:
Other than sewage stains, there is no loot to be found. Several of your companions died, but their worldly possessions are flushed down the drain and can not be looted.

pendell loses his housecat familiar Xena as it is flushed down the charm.

The others lose nothing except their dignity

{table="head"]{colsp=3}The Players in the Dungeon of Doom
Aegeus|Alive|Room 2
Akaziel|Alive|Room 2
Altharis|DEAD|Room 1
Amiria, Countess of Mispelling|Alive|Room 2
Calamity|Alive|Room 2
Case|DEAD|Room 1
Castaras|Alive|Room 2
Deckmaster|Alive|Room 1
DLD|Alive|Room 2
Eldritch Knight|DEAD|Room 1
El Jaspero|Alive|Room 2
evnafets|Alive|Room 2
Fredricus|Alive|Room 2
Frigs|Alive|Room 2
GenericPC|DEAD|Room 1
Gezina|DEAD|Room 1
Gnome Barbarian|DEAD|Room 1
GoC|Alive|Room 2
Hivemind Ghost|Alive|Room 2
HyramGraff|Alive|Room 2
Jazzman|Alive|Room 2
KewlKat|Alive|Room 2
Krystal Tiger|Alive|Room 2
Kyrian|Alive|Room 2
Lucid Archon|Alive|Room 2
Maggie the Cat|DEAD|Room 1
Mewtarthio|Alive|Room 2
Meynolds|DEAD|Room 1
Orzel|Alive|Room 2
pendell|Alive|Room 2
pingcode20|Alive|Room 2
Rigel Cyrosea|Alive|Room 2
Rumda|Alive|Room 2
Thes Hunter|Alive|Room 2
Warpfire777|DEAD|Room 1
Zar Peter|Alive|Rooom 2
[/table]

Good coordination saves the day for most of you. Let's see whether you are able to do so in the next rooms as well.

Room 2 will be opened somewhat later today.

DarkLightDragon
2007-04-15, 10:49 AM
Nice! Go Keyblade! ...IN AMERICA! Geez, that's three times I've said that in the last 24 hours.

Copacetic
2007-04-15, 11:22 AM
Yeah! I live!!

Silkenfist
2007-04-15, 11:27 AM
Rolling for the next room in advance:

Room 1 (for Deckmaster): [roll0]
Room 2 (for you): [roll1]

GoC
2007-04-15, 11:29 AM
I'm alive!

But we need to send an expedition to rescue Deckmaster and his very useful magical items! He won't survive otherwise.
I'm going as long as we have four other people with diverse abilities going too.

Silkenfist
2007-04-15, 11:30 AM
Well....you could choose to stay, I guess. In that case, you would be reunited with Deckmaster, but your Room Count would remain at 1.

Room 2 is delayed and won't go up before tomorrow. You have one day to decide whether you wish to advance or stay in Room 1. If you don't reply, I assume you advance. Players who stay in Room 1 will receive the same challenge as Deckmaster.

So...what do you think is the more evil room, 13 or 51?

Jazzman
2007-04-15, 11:47 AM
Yuck...sewage...

Ah well, go wedge-sword! Aside from some slightly smelly footwear, and a very smelly sword (which i'll wipe clean at the earliest opportunity), that went well. Something tells me Rigel and I were the least soiled of the rest...wish I could change my earmuffs to noseplugs :P

Mewtarthio
2007-04-15, 11:48 AM
Mewtarthio mutters a few quick respects to the fallen.

"There will be time to mourn the others once we're safely aboveground, though I get the feeling we'll be joining them soon enough. Let's go. Anyone who thinks Deckmaster survived may go ahead and search with GoC, but anyone who wants out of this dungeon as soon as possible should come with me."

Deckmaster
2007-04-15, 11:51 AM
What do the numbers mean? Will room 1 be something different now?

GoC
2007-04-15, 12:01 PM
"Mewtarthio, you must be deaf if you can't hear him trying to get back here. His tome is what saved us. I say we wait here for him."

Castaras
2007-04-15, 12:25 PM
I'm moving into the next room. I'll see you guys later.

Thes Hunter
2007-04-15, 12:30 PM
Yay! Go team us!

Silkenfist
2007-04-15, 12:49 PM
Yep. Each Room will feature a new challenge during each round. The Sewer Purge has already happened, so you won't encounter it again. But maybe the Red Dragon happens to wander by or the Sphere of Annihilation is just being installed.

Hivemind Ghost
2007-04-15, 01:43 PM
Meh, never liked the guy. I head through to the next room.

Zar Peter
2007-04-15, 03:09 PM
Many thanks, Amiria. If you need some help I would be happy to serve you.

I forgot: To the next room please!

Fredricus
2007-04-15, 03:22 PM
To the next room!

GoC
2007-04-15, 03:24 PM
Am I the only person who thinks a Tome of Infinite knowledge is useful?

Deckmaster
2007-04-15, 03:32 PM
Unfortunately, a Tome of Infinite Knowledge is useless against a tidal wave of raw sewage.

GoC
2007-04-15, 03:57 PM
Unfortunately, a Tome of Infinite Knowledge is useless against a tidal wave of raw sewage.

It helped save many lives though.

Amiria
2007-04-15, 04:25 PM
Many thanks, Amiria. If you need some help I would be happy to serve you.

"Null Problemo, my star-robed friend."

"Onwards ! To infinity, and beyond !"

Jazzman
2007-04-15, 04:46 PM
Jazzman morphs his sword back to normal, wrinkling his nose slightly at the stench now emanating from the blade.

"That wasn't very pleasant. I think I would have *preferred* acid...."

Everyone okay? Good. Rigel, if you want to stick with me, you're more than welcome. Your ditherbombs combined with my sword-shield could make a formidable combo.

Jazzman sets off up the slightly slippery incline in search of the next challenge.

Rigel Cyrosea
2007-04-15, 06:33 PM
Everyone okay? Good. Rigel, if you want to stick with me, you're more than welcome. Your ditherbombs combined with my sword-shield could make a formidable combo.

Jazzman sets off up the slightly slippery incline in search of the next challenge.

Sound's good. I'll be right behind you.

Thes Hunter
2007-04-15, 07:12 PM
Onward, we must show that darn DM that he shouldn't whine so much when I just happen to eat his last bag of cookies.

Akaziel
2007-04-15, 07:14 PM
Akaziel consumes the liquid jelly in the Anymug and walks down to the next room with his three items.

Silkenfist
2007-04-15, 07:24 PM
Onward, we must show that darn DM that he shouldn't whine so much when I just happen to eat his last bag of cookies.

But...they were chocalate ship cookies. With animal shapes.

*sniff*

You will pay for them. For every last one of them.

Eldritch Knight
2007-04-15, 07:50 PM
At this point I'll mention that we probably would have lost a lot more had I not made my initial observation. I thought I had declared climbing up, but I guess I didn't. And I never said that I entered the corridor, either...

Aegeus
2007-04-15, 08:40 PM
Aegeus extracts himself from the filthy sack. "Well, at least it kept my clothes dry." After discarding the torn and smelly sack, he heads into the next room.
"I won't hang around in this room just to get killed without even gaining the prestige of surviving a room."

By the way, if I drank the DM's mountain dew while we were running this Gygaxian monster dungeon, what would happen? Would I encounter a doubly dangerous monster dungeon? Would I simply get struck down by lightning?

GoC
2007-04-15, 09:08 PM
GoC sighs and continues to the next room.

Orzel
2007-04-15, 11:54 PM
"Looks like my magic stick said many a butt. If we reach a room filled with nonvorpal gold, nonpoisoned food, or nonsouldraining kisses; I expect a slightly bigger share" Orzel jokes.

After allowing all on his makeshight ledge to get down, Orzel returns his stick to its smaller size and rejoins the group. Stroking his goatee, Orzel thinks abouts the future.

"If a well sized party wishes to go rescue Deckmaster, I'll head back with them. I can hand one of the forward party my magic rock, then teleport myself, Deckmaster, and the rescuers to the rock's location. But I am not going alone."

DarkLightDragon
2007-04-16, 12:25 AM
I will go to the next room.

pendell
2007-04-16, 06:54 AM
I will stay and look for Deckmaster, if we can meet the requisite minimum of 5 party members to wait for him. If at the end of the day there are < 5 members who wish to get a tome of infinite knowledge, I will proceed to room 2. I have no weapon and I just lost my scout, so I can't go alone.

Oh, well, at least we won't have to bury those poor souls.

And *Xena* ... sob.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

DarkLightDragon
2007-04-16, 06:58 AM
((How many are going after Deckmaster?))

pingcode20
2007-04-16, 07:06 AM
I will do as Pendell does and wait for Deckmaster if there are at least 4 other people wanting to hold up for him.

Silkenfist
2007-04-16, 07:15 AM
Orzel: If you do that, your fate becomes tied directly to that of the person carrying the rock. It is perfectly possible but it bears some risk.

Kyrian
2007-04-16, 07:38 AM
I shall go on to room 2

Orzel
2007-04-16, 09:34 AM
Orzel: If you do that, your fate becomes tied directly to that of the person carrying the rock. It is perfectly possible but it bears some risk.

I know. The entire rescue party would be at risk. Therefore I would have to give my rock to someone I and the other rescuers trust to stay alive.

pendell
2007-04-16, 09:40 AM
((How many are going after Deckmaster?))

At this point the rescue party consists of:

GoC
Orzel
Pendell
pingcode20

All we need is one more volunteer and the mission is a go.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Jazzman
2007-04-16, 10:47 AM
Orzel, if you need someone to look after your magic rock, I'll happily do so.

And pendell, wouldn't Deckmaster himself count as one, if you meet up with him on your way back?

Calamity
2007-04-16, 10:59 AM
At this point the rescue party consists of:

GoC
Orzel
Pendell
pingcode20

All we need is one more volunteer and the mission is a go.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

I volunteer, and Orzel and El J, thank you, you are the reasons I'm still alive.

GoC
2007-04-16, 12:45 PM
I volunteer, and Orzel and El J, thank you, you are the reasons I'm still alive.

Operation "rescue Deckmaster" is a go!
Anyone else want to join?

EDIT: Just realized that my Dimension Door spell (which combined with the Tome of Infinite knowledge will get us back) is only CL 17 so noone else can come.

pendell
2007-04-16, 12:54 PM
Just to remind, the rescue team roster currently consists of

GoC
Orzel
Pendell
pingcode20
Calamity

+ Jazzman, who has agreed to hold the magic rock.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Jazzman
2007-04-16, 01:28 PM
"I shall carry the sacred stone as I venture forth into the fiendishness that is Room 2!

Onward!"

Jazzman wills the hilt of his sword to thicken, and conjures up a hole in the middle of the hit. He holds the rock in the hole, then reforms the metal around it. It now looks like a sword with a knobbly bit of metal on the hilt (He can extract it at any time by reversing the process). This way, even if I get eaten, as long as my sword remains, you can teleport to it.

Copacetic
2007-04-16, 04:01 PM
"Onward to room 2!" Frigs draws his sword and readies his shield

Aegeus
2007-04-16, 05:41 PM
This way, even if I get eaten, as long as my sword remains, you can teleport to it.

You realize that with those words you've just condemned us to a round of nothing but rust monsters and other weapon-breaking monstrosities?

Generic PC
2007-04-16, 05:48 PM
Sorry i died right away... i missed the entire week on a band trip with no computer usage at all... didnt even see the thread until today...

Mewtarthio
2007-04-16, 06:23 PM
Sorry i died right away... i missed the entire week on a band trip with no computer usage at all... didnt even see the thread until today...

When I have to tell your mother why she doesn't even have a body to bury, I'll be sure to mention it.

Orzel
2007-04-16, 08:15 PM
Okay Jazzman, I trust you with my rock until my return. Fight defensively because 6 lives are on your shoulders.

Okay team. Here's the plan
Find Deckmaster
Defeat the possible encounter
Everyone touches me and I teleport us (Team 1) to Jazzman's sword's location or GoC DD us to the rest of the party (Team A).

Let's go Team 1!

pingcode20
2007-04-17, 06:16 AM
Well, I've got a ring of controlled teleportation as well, though it's only personal. So that means I, at least, don't need to rely on rock-portation.

2007-04-17, 11:10 AM
El Jaspero climbs down his twine-rope and draws his rusty cutlass before joining the group heading into Room 2.

Silkenfist
2007-04-17, 11:30 AM
Uhm...pingcode? You know that in order to teleport to a certain location, you have to know where it is. You can't use it to "teleport to Room 2 wherever it is"

GoC
2007-04-17, 02:09 PM
Uhm...pingcode? You know that in order to teleport to a certain location, you have to know where it is. You can't use it to "teleport to Room 2 wherever it is"

We'll manage. :smallwink:

Jazzman
2007-04-17, 04:26 PM
I think pingcode was planning on combining his dimension door spell with Deckmaster's tome of Infinite Knowledge, so he'll know where room 2 is.

Silkenfist
2007-04-17, 04:31 PM
Ah...Dim Door won't work, I can tell you that much beforehand. The rooms are too far away to be reached through it.

Tome of Infinite Knowledge and Controlled Teleport...can work, but once again: Everything will entirely depend on how you phrase your question to the tome.

GoC
2007-04-17, 07:42 PM
Ah...Dim Door won't work, I can tell you that much beforehand. The rooms are too far away to be reached through it.

Tome of Infinite Knowledge and Controlled Teleport...can work, but once again: Everything will entirely depend on how you phrase your question to the tome.

So the rooms are over 600 ft apart?

How about:
"What could Deckmaster say to GoC that would allow GoC, Orzel, Pendell, pingcode20, Calamity and Deckmaster to teleport within 5 ft of Jazzman without any of them being killed or injured within 10 seconds of teleportation?":smallbiggrin:

Or maybe:
"What are the coordinates (to the nearest ft) of Jazzman's right eye considering the origin at GoC's right eye, the x and y axis' parallel to the floor, the x axis going from GoC's right eye to to any part of the line segment connecting Deckmaster's right eye and the center of the Earth (Deckmaster's eye must have a positive x coordinate), with Orzel having a positive y coordinate and GoC's feet having a negative z coordinate?"

Silkenfist
2007-04-17, 08:18 PM
600? I have 400 in the SRD. But apart from that, I don't have fixed numbers for the distance between rooms. I'll come up with a system to determine distances, next room you will just have to try out whether it works.

Jazzman
2007-04-18, 08:27 AM
Gah! Didn't realise the new rooms were up :S