PDA

View Full Version : Abjurant Champion/Argent Savant question.

Metahuman1
2015-03-18, 07:34 PM
So, let's say I wanted to get a character who's got 5 levels in Abjurant champion and 3 levels of Argent Savant.

What would be the lowest level such a character could be, and how can this be done with the lowest caster level? Bonus points if it can be accomplished with as many feats as possible to make spells harder to dispel.

The reason I'm looking for this build is I'm gonna be making magic items for the part of Luminous Armor and Shield, using Mage of the Arcane Order to get the spells. So I figured since I'd have to put some meaningful cash down anyhow for these with out the bonuses, might as well get the bonuses for the party.

Thanks!

Troacctid
2015-03-18, 08:02 PM
Illumian Duskblade 5/Abjurant Champion 5/Argent Savant 3

Duskblades automatically qualify for Abjurant Champion at 5th level, so that's easy. For Argent Savant, your spell list includes Bigby's Striking Fist, Bigby's Tripping Hand, Deflect, and Lesser Deflect. That's four spells, none of which is 5th level or higher. However, you can add another one via the Arcane Disciple feat, and you can boost your spells to 5th level by taking Versatile Spellcaster, Heighten Spell, and Improved Sigil (Krau).

It gets easier if you add Mage of the Arcane Order 3 before the Argent Savant levels, since three more levels of Duskblade casting will give you access to Bigby's Interposing Hand, removing the need for Arcane Disciple and Improved Sigil (Krau).

Crake
2015-03-18, 08:56 PM
The reason I'm looking for this build is I'm gonna be making magic items for the part of Luminous Armor and Shield, using Mage of the Arcane Order to get the spells.

Mage of the arcane order a) doesn't get access to sanctified spells, and b) still doesn't allow a spontaneous caster to cast sanctified spells even if it did. Only prepared casters can cast sanctified spells, clerics getting the added bonus of being able to spontaneously convert them.

KillianHawkeye
2015-03-19, 12:12 AM
Also, the AC improving features of the Abjurant Champion only apply to spells you cast, not magic items you use or make.

Crake
2015-03-19, 12:16 AM
Also, the AC improving features of the Abjurant Champion only apply to spells you cast, not magic items you use or make.

In addition, luminous armor isn't personal, so you can just cast that on your allies anyway. Be sure to have some rods of bodily restoration handy to cure the str damage though

KillianHawkeye
2015-03-19, 12:40 AM
In addition, luminous armor isn't personal, so you can just cast that on your allies anyway. Be sure to have some rods of bodily restoration handy to cure the str damage though

Shield, on the other hand, is. And that's unfortunate, but at the levels we're talking about here (mid-teens) everybody should have pretty decent rings of protection anyway.

I would think the bigger problem is that luminous armor can only be put onto Good creatures, at least the way my group usually plays. LOL :smallamused:

Crake
2015-03-19, 01:40 AM
Shield, on the other hand, is. And that's unfortunate, but at the levels we're talking about here (mid-teens) everybody should have pretty decent rings of protection anyway.

I would think the bigger problem is that luminous armor can only be put onto Good creatures, at least the way my group usually plays. LOL :smallamused:

shield stacks with rings of protection though, so it would have been nice. There's some bracers in DMG2 that let you share personal spells with someone within 60ft, though the duration is halved for the both of you. Still, at that level, 10 minutes halved for 5 minutes each, especially when you can cast it as a swift action, plus it's extended because of ajurant champ anyway.

KillianHawkeye
2015-03-19, 03:47 AM
shield stacks with rings of protection though, so it would have been nice.

oh durr, I must've had a major brain fart! Of course, it's totally different from a ring of protection! :smallsigh: