PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing an abjuration battle mage

Yagyujubei
2015-03-18, 08:01 PM
so I'm gonna need a new character soon, and I've been thinking about this combo for a while, but trying to make it playable has been a bit tricky for me.

basically my end goals for the build are
-arcane ward/AoA combo
-polearm master/heavy armor
-two attacks during my attack action

so with that in mind the build to go for seems like 2warlock/6fighter/12wizard but the curve seems like it's gonna be pretty bad...I was thinking 2warlock, then 4wizard to get the combo online, then 6 fighter for the attacks, then all wizard the rest of the way. but that seems like it will be unimpressive during most of the mid levels. Spell slots and stuff can be salvaged a bit by going eldritch knight and i'll still get 5 ASI's so thats good but still...

I feel like that might just be the price i have to pay, but if anyone can suggest tweaks to optimize it a bit more I'd appreciate it.

Giant2005
2015-03-18, 08:40 PM
If you want Heayv Armor proficiency, then Fighter should be the first level you take, otherwise you will have to waste a feat on it at a later time.

Strill
2015-03-19, 01:09 AM
Fighter 1 for heavy armor, Heavy Weapon fighting style, and Constitution saving throw proficiency.
Alternatively: Tempest Cleric 1 for Heavy armor, cantrips, spellcasting, and 2d8 lightning damage as a reaction.

Pact of the Blade Warlock 5 for your second attack.

Wizard 14.

Variant Human would be your best option with this build, so that you can get Polearm Master at level 1. You're going to be pretty far behind in your spellcasting, so Polearm Master will help make up for the difference.

Yagyujubei
2015-03-19, 09:00 AM
Fighter 1 for heavy armor, Heavy Weapon fighting style, and Constitution saving throw proficiency.
Alternatively: Tempest Cleric 1 for Heavy armor, cantrips, spellcasting, and 2d8 lightning damage as a reaction.

Pact of the Blade Warlock 5 for your second attack.

Wizard 14.

Variant Human would be your best option with this build, so that you can get Polearm Master at level 1. You're going to be pretty far behind in your spellcasting, so Polearm Master will help make up for the difference.

hmm i totally hadnt though of thirsting strike (or whatever its called)...that might be a good way to keep the character relevant all the way up. were getting more than a little MAD here though...and I do lose a feat. If I can get my DM to allow invocations scaling from player level rather than warlock level though...that's 100% problems solved there. straight up 16wizard/3warlock/1fighter would work out great.

or just 4 warlock and ill use the asi to grab heavy armor.

xyianth
2015-03-19, 09:50 AM
Your MADness is inherent to your concept. You want to be polearm focused, which usualy means you need strength. Heavy armor reduces the need for dex at least. Everyone wants con, and melee fighters need it. Wizards need int, you can avoid maxing it by sticking to spells that don't use attack rolls or saves though. Everyone wants a decent wis score so they don't get hit with nasty effects. And multiclassing as a warlock requires a decent cha.

I'm with Strill on the best method of pulling this off:

race: human(variant)
27pt: 13(14) str, 10 dex, 13(14) con, 14 int, 11 wis, 13 cha
build: fighter 1/warlock 5/wizard 14
ASIs: polearm master(1), +2 str(5), +2 str(10), resilient[wis](14), +2 str(18)
fighting style: great weapon
patron: fiend
pact: blade
invocations: armor of shadows, devil's sight, thirsting blade
cantrips: eldritch blast, any 2 warlock cantrips, any 4 wizard cantrips
spells: armor of agathys, hex, darkness, any 3 warlock spells, any wizard spells
equipment: glaive/halberd, plate mail

If you were willing to give up on polearm master, you could pursue a dex focus instead:

race: half-elf
27pt: 8 str, 15(16) dex, 13(14) con, 14 int, 10 wis, 12(14) cha
ASIs: +2 dex(5), +2 dex(10), resilient[wis](14), alert(18)
fighting style: dueling
spells: armor of agathys, hex, darkness, any 3 warlock spells, any wizard spells
equipment: rapier/whip, shield

Both builds can take advantage of the same tricks:

darkness + devil's sight
arcane ward refilled by armor of shadows
armor of agothys + arcane ward
if equipment is stolen, you can summon your magic weapon and conjure mage armor
when armor of agathys runs out, continue getting extra temp hp from patron feature
eldritch blast can be used when you need ranged or force damage

jazzymantis
2015-03-19, 01:50 PM
Just keep in mind that while spell slots scale by all caster levels (except warlock), access to high level spells don't

12 Wizard/ 6 Eldritch knight gets you the spell slots for level 7 spells but you can't cast any high level spells.

I like the warlock thirsting blade idea, if you do short rests you get some spells each time which is a nice bonus as well.

jazzymantis
2015-03-19, 02:04 PM
race: human(variant)
27pt: 13(14) str, 10 dex, 13(14) con, 14 int, 11 wis, 13 cha
ASIs: polearm master(1), +2 str(5), +2 str(10), resilient[wis](14), +2 str(18)
fighting style: great weapon
equipment: glaive/halberd, plate mail

If you can buy armor it is not worth it to waste your invocation, also armor can't get dispelled.
Here is suggestions on that other invocation: -Agonizing blast if you dump dex and get Cha to 14
-Repelling blast great battlefield control
-Misty visions silent image is a good spell
-one with shadows weak invisibility?

MrStabby
2015-03-19, 02:08 PM
Wouldn't you be better as a paladin?

Paladin 2, Wizard 2, Warlock 5 to begin with to get your replenishing wards and smites from the Paladin.

All the extra spell slots will fuel the smiting. Paladin does require a second level to give you this but also gives you the proficiencies and fighting style if you begin with it. If you do hive high Cha channel divinity at lvl 3 will raise your damage for a minute if you pick devotion. If you pick oath of ancients then it gives you the ability to ensnare an enemy (then poke it with sharp things with reach).

SharkForce
2015-03-19, 02:44 PM
If you can buy armor it is not worth it to waste your invocation, also armor can't get dispelled.
Here is suggestions on that other invocation: -Agonizing blast if you dump dex and get Cha to 14

yeah, but you can't charge up your ward with plate mail.

xyianth
2015-03-19, 08:04 PM

Err, the armor of shadows invocation is so you can rapidly and freely recharge your arcane ward between fights. The trick to this build is that your arcane ward absorbs damage from hits, but armor of agathys does retributive damage when you get hit as long as its temp hp remain. Normally, temp hp doesn't stack, so each damage instance uses up your temp hp a little. Arcane ward however can intercept damage, preventing you from losing temp hp. Therefore, armor of agathys damages them (they hit you), you take no damage (arcane ward absorbs it), and you still keep your full temp hp buffer. Plate mail is used for AC, armor of shadows is how you fill up your ward. (Technically, wizards can ritual cast alarm for the same purpose, but that takes much longer to recharge the ward and costs money)

Wouldn't you be better as a paladin?

Paladin 2, Wizard 2, Warlock 5 to begin with to get your replenishing wards and smites from the Paladin.

All the extra spell slots will fuel the smiting. Paladin does require a second level to give you this but also gives you the proficiencies and fighting style if you begin with it. If you do hive high Cha channel divinity at lvl 3 will raise your damage for a minute if you pick devotion. If you pick oath of ancients then it gives you the ability to ensnare an enemy (then poke it with sharp things with reach).

This can work, though I highly recommend you move the build around to: paladin 2/warlock 5/wizard 13. The arcane ward doesn't really do much until you have a few levels as a wizard to help it out. You will lose out on the spell resistance feature of abjuration wizards and your smites will compete with your armor of agathys uses for slots. It also delays second attack to ECL 7.

MrStabby
2015-03-19, 08:41 PM
Yeah, that makes sense. I wasn't thinking about order in which these came!