PDA

View Full Version : Building a custom weapon

Nosta
2015-03-18, 08:07 PM
hello i was wondering how to go about making a great sword that acts as a rod of absorption.

Nibbens
2015-03-18, 08:26 PM
hello i was wondering how to go about making a great sword that acts as a rod of absorption.

If I were your DM, I'd say:

Since the cost and requirements of the Rod of Absorption are Craft Rod, spell turning; Cost 25,000 gp (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rods/rod-of-absorption). I'd add 5-10 points in the Craft Arms and Armor skill and + 1/2 the price of a Greatsword to the cost.

The logic here, is that you're forming the RoA in the shape of a non-magical greatsword, and that shouldn't be much of a problem. I mean, heck, hitting someone with a normal rod would do 1d6 damage anyway, so why not fluff it up a bit and give it two edges, a point, a handle and 1d6 extra damage. lol.

Or, if you wanted the Sword to be magically enhanced and act like a rod of Absorption - I know there are some rules regarding the cost of an item to an already existing item. I think it's

First Item's Cost X 1.5
added to
Second Item's Cost X1.5
(Then the item can be created as long as the creator has all the perquisites to create BOTH items)

but I'm not 100% sure. Double check the errata for that (or someone else here. lol.) ((This also depends on the edition you're playing. I believe the above formula exists in PF but I'm not sure of it's legitimacy in other games.))

Flickerdart
2015-03-18, 08:41 PM
Duct tape the rod to the crossguard.

Nibbens
2015-03-18, 08:51 PM
Duct tape the rod to the crossguard.

</3

Oh! Let's turn D&D into Dead Rising/Dead Island. While we're at it, we could get the great Punpun to create a stick that the Sphere of Annihilation cannot destroy. We attach the Sphere to a stick via some adhesive (which the great Punpun can protect from the annihilation effect with his awesomeness) and we can hold onto the stick to smack Orcus over the head with it. I like this game! :D

Crake
2015-03-18, 08:51 PM
If I were your DM, I'd say:

Since the cost and requirements of the Rod of Absorption are Craft Rod, spell turning; Cost 25,000 gp (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rods/rod-of-absorption). I'd add 5-10 points in the Craft Arms and Armor skill and + 1/2 the price of a Greatsword to the cost.

The logic here, is that you're forming the RoA in the shape of a non-magical greatsword, and that shouldn't be much of a problem. I mean, heck, hitting someone with a normal rod would do 1d6 damage anyway, so why not fluff it up a bit and give it two edges, a point, a handle and 1d6 extra damage. lol.

Or, if you wanted the Sword to be magically enhanced and act like a rod of Absorption - I know there are some rules regarding the cost of an item to an already existing item. I think it's

First Item's Cost X 1.5
added to
Second Item's Cost X1.5
(Then the item can be created as long as the creator has all the perquisites to create BOTH items)

but I'm not 100% sure. Double check the errata for that (or someone else here. lol.) ((This also depends on the edition you're playing. I believe the above formula exists in PF but I'm not sure of it's legitimacy in other games.))

Its expensive item cost x1 + each subsequent cheaper enchantment x1.5 (with some exceptions, though rod of absorption is not among them).

So a +3 greatsword, being 18,000, would be the cheaper part of the enchantment, meaning it gets x1.5 for 27,000, plus the 50,000 of a rod of absorption. If the sword was +5, they'd both be 50k, so it doesn't matter which one is multiplied, and it would cost 125k, and when the sword's total enhancement goes to 6+, then it's the rod that is multiplied by 1.5

Nibbens
2015-03-18, 08:54 PM
Its expensive item cost x1 + each subsequent cheaper enchantment x1.5 (with some exceptions, though rod of absorption is not among them).

So a +3 greatsword, being 18,000, would be the cheaper part of the enchantment, meaning it gets x1.5 for 27,000, plus the 50,000 of a rod of absorption. If the sword was +5, they'd both be 50k, so it doesn't matter which one is multiplied, and it would cost 125k, and when the sword's total enhancement goes to 6+, then it's the rod that is multiplied by 1.5

Is that for PF or 3.X or both? I'm uncertain. Sorry.