PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Melee Bow?

ShadowfireOmega
2015-03-18, 09:44 PM
I seem to remember reading in one of the supplement book that there are bows with blades attached that allow for melee attacks while wielding them, does anyone know what book this was, or if they even exist? I found the Long Blade Bow and dandwiki.com, it does not seem to be in the homebrew section but I still don't know the source.

Ephemeral_Being
2015-03-18, 09:49 PM
There's an Elvencraft bow in Races of the Wild that does blunt damage, and threatens squares around you. There's also a Swordbow in that same book. Either would suit your purpose.

Elric VIII
2015-03-18, 09:49 PM
Races of the Wild has elvencraft bow modification (it's a nonmagical property that adds a few hundred to the cost) which double as a club or quarterstaff for short and long, respectively. Each part needs its own enchantment.

Complete Scoundrel has the bayonette item, but that's only for crossbows.

UristMcRandom
2015-03-18, 10:14 PM
Complete Scoundrel has the bayonette item, but that's only for crossbows.

It also has the bow blade, which functions as a punching dagger of the appropriate size.

ShadowfireOmega
2015-03-18, 10:26 PM
Thanks guys, I looked at them. I was really looking for something like a non-magical exotic weapon that could be used as both to cheese it up a bit with the fighter weapon focus/spec. line of feats, only needing to take it for the one weapon and getting the bonuses to both ranged and melee, but alas WotC saw through that one xD

NoseFeratu
2015-03-18, 10:29 PM
There's also always the spell Bowstaff, if your DM allows PF stuff.

Elric VIII
2015-03-18, 11:45 PM
Thanks guys, I looked at them. I was really looking for something like a non-magical exotic weapon that could be used as both to cheese it up a bit with the fighter weapon focus/spec. line of feats, only needing to take it for the one weapon and getting the bonuses to both ranged and melee, but alas WotC saw through that one xD

It is highly unlikely that this would be overpowered, especially with weapon focus/spec. I'd just ask your DM for something like that.

RoyVG
2015-03-19, 05:23 AM
If you want something similar but different, in Magic Item Compendium there is a trio of Swordbow magic weapons. As a free action you can switch between a +1 Rapier/+1 longsword/+1 greatsword into a +1 shortbow/+1 longbow/+1(+4 Str) Composite longbow respectively. They are quite expensive (6000+ GP)and especially if you want to enchant them, because any enchantment that can be added to both weapons must be paid for twice (so Flaming and Keen get doubled, but Distance does not.)

Darrin
2015-03-19, 06:52 AM

The exotic weapon you're looking for is probably the yuan-ti serpent bow (Secrets of Xen'drik p. 137). However, you still have to pay for ranged and melee enchantments separately.

Vertharrad
2015-03-21, 01:11 AM
Razorbow (Hornsaw: Forest of Blood) is a weapon used by the elves of the Hornsaw Forest in Scarred Lands.