PDA

View Full Version : Making a Fiendbound Marauder for a Playtest

Ironsides
2015-03-18, 10:47 PM
I am making a lvl 2 Demon-hand Warlock Fiendbound Marauder for a campaign. The Emerald Spire campaign goes to lvl 13 we are using the fast experience track. All 1st party material plus all DSP material is accepted. We are using a 20 point buy with 2 traits. I am using the Oggr from Bloodforge since it is by DSP. This character is for AGrinningCat’s playtest for Saturday.

http://archive.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1365/90/1365904985037.jpg

What I think of when I imagine the Demon-Hand Warlock Fiendbound Marauder.

Here are my stats STR 17, DEX 10, CON 16, INT 16, WIS 10, CHA 7.

Since I am making this for a playtest game I wanted to make a two-weapon fighter using the Prodigious Two-Weapon Fighting feat from POWE. The PC’s name is Akashii and she likes to punch things. This may be more difficult that other option but I wanted to try it out.

Now Oggr’s have powerful build so that means the damage di on his Fiend’s Grip goes up 3 sizes from medium instead of 2. The original dice for a medium creature is 1d4. Please check my math because I am confused by the new rules. I posted the FAQ in the spoiler.

Size Changes, Effective Size Changes, and Damage Dice Progression: I'm confused by how to increase and decrease manufactured and natural weapon damage dice when the weapon's size or effective size changes. There's a bunch of different charts, and I'm not sure which to use. (And now this FAQ now makes things worse lol - Ironsides)
When the damage dealt by a creature’s weapons or natural attacks changes due to a change in its size (or the size of its weapon), use the following rules to determine the new damage.
• If the size increases by one step, look up the original damage on the chart and increase the damage by two steps. If the initial size is Small or lower (or is treated as Small or lower) or the initial damage is 1d6 or less, instead increase the damage by one step.
• If the size decreases by one step, look up the original damage on the chart and decrease the damage by two steps. If the initial size is Medium or lower (or is treated as Medium or lower) or the initial damage is 1d8 or less, instead decrease the damage by one step.
• If the exact number of original dice is not found on this chart, apply the following before adjusting the damage dice. If the damage is a number of d6, find the next lowest number of d6 on the chart and use that number of d8 as the original damage value (for example, 10d6 would instead be treated as 8d8). If the damage is a number of d8, find the next highest number of d8 on the chart and use that number of d6 as the original damage value (for example, 5d8 would instead be treated as 6d6). Once you have the new damage value, adjust by the number of steps noted above.
• If the die type is not referenced on this chart, apply the following rules before adjusting the damage dice. 2d4 counts as 1d8 on the chart, 3d4 counts as 2d6 on the chart, and so on for higher numbers of d4. 1d12 counts as 2d6 on the chart, and so on for higher numbers of d12.
• Finally, 2d10 increases to 4d8 and decreases to 2d8, regardless of the initial size, and so on for higher numbers of d10.
Damage Dice Progression Chart
1d2
1d3
1d4 <- Where we start for medium.
1d6 <- This is for Large size from powerful build.
1d8 <- Now we are Huge size.
1d10
2d6 <- Now we are Gargantuan size.
2d8
3d6 <- This is the damage I use with Improved Natural Attack.
3d8
4d6
4d8
6d6
6d8
8d6
8d8
12d6
12d8
16d6

Did I follow the rules correctly? I think I get 2d6 for my Fiend’s Grip but the rules are confusing.

I am also going with two traditions for this build which may be a bit ambitious. I am picking up Eternal Guardian and Thrashing Dragon. This build will try to focus on maneuvers from Thrashing Dragon, Eternal Guardian, and Black Seraph.

I am unsure what feats I should get. I know I will get both Prodigious Two-Weapon Fighting from POWE and Two-Weapon Fighting but I don’t know what I should do for the rest of my feats. If there is something better I should be using please tell me!

1. Prodigious Two-Weapon Fighting (A do nothing feat at this level. I refuse to put more points into dex.)
3. Two-Weapon Fighting
3. Thrashing Dragon Style
5. Improved Natural Attack (Fiend’s Grip) now I roll 3d6 for damage. (Is this worth a feat?)
7. Thrashing Dragon Pounce
8. Improved Two-Weapon Fighting (Is this feat also worth it?)
9. Open
11. Thrashing Dragon Whirlwind
13. Open
13. Open

My thoughts so far on the Archetype and my build.
I really wish Prodigious Two-Weapon Fighting did something more for me. As it stands it is just a way to get around the TWF dex requirements. Don't get me wrong I like that the feat exists but I wish it did more for my build. I have a feeling that people will tell me to just suck it up until I reach my 3rd level. Because of the penalties to hit I am going with a fist and shield until I get my feats at the next level up. :smalleek:

I think that Eternal Guardian would make sense to be added to the Disciplines of the Demon-Hand Warlock Fiendbound Marauder.
I liked the name Demon-Hand Warlock for the archetype… Fiendbound Marauder just isn't evocative to me.

I am looking for magic items that compliment the build but most are too expensive fore me at the moment. Here are the two standouts.

Giant Fist Gauntlet (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/gauntlets-giant-fist): They increase the size of my fists by one size category. Call me Gipsy Danger because I am huntin' kaiju now. Note that with the improved Natural Attack that I am now hitting for 4d6 and you get a free bull rush with a hit.

Grasp of Granite (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/grasp-of-droskar): Is an interesting cursed item that increase +2 enhancement bonus to strength but makes your left hand unusable and you take a -4 on checks that use both hands. It also gives you one extra natural attack and your attacks with that hand count a +1 Adamantine and you can use Stone Shape once per day. It also requires a 5th level spell to take it off. Seems cool but I am inexperienced and would like a second opinion on this item.

Now I am looking for useful or cool traits. I am open for more suggestions.

Dim Seer (Regional): You gain a +2 trait bonus on Perception checks in dim light, and Perception is always a class skill for you.

Bred For War (Racial Human): You gain a +1 trait bonus on Intimidate checks and a +1 trait bonus on your CMB because of your great size. You must be at least 6 feet tall. I can get this with the adopted trait.

Fiery Glare (Racial Ifrit): You can always take 10 on Intimidate checks, even in combat.

Tell me what you guys think. What pitfalls am I making? Could I do better with something else? I would like to use as much stuff as possible from POW and POWE so I can give Lord_Gareth and Errant X feedback on stuff. Thanks in advance for the help.