PDA

View Full Version : Totem Barbarian Questions

Joshmaster
2015-03-19, 12:27 AM
Hi, I was wondering how the Barbarian animal totems in Unearthed Arcana (pg 48-49) interact with the spiritual totems in Complete Champion (pg 46). Are they all one list that I can choose only one from? Can I select one from each as long as they don't replace the same class feature? Finally, is there any source I can reference about how they interact that I can show to a DM?

KillianHawkeye
2015-03-19, 12:46 AM
They are totally unrelated. You can, with your DM's permission, use any number of alternate class features as long as they don't require you to give up the same ability more than once.

Personally, I would totally understand if a DM said you couldn't take two different totems even it would legally work, just on the grounds that it doesn't make much sense.

Joshmaster
2015-03-19, 01:42 AM
Thanks, that's how I figured it would work.

Darrin
2015-03-19, 10:06 AM
Hi, I was wondering how the Barbarian animal totems in Unearthed Arcana (pg 48-49) interact with the spiritual totems in Complete Champion (pg 46). Are they all one list that I can choose only one from? Can I select one from each as long as they don't replace the same class feature? Finally, is there any source I can reference about how they interact that I can show to a DM?

Most of the totems trade away Fast Movement, so this generally limits you to one totem, but there are a couple exceptions. In Unearthed Arcana, the Horse Totem and Wolf Totem do not trade away Fast Movement, which means you still have it available to trade if you want to pick up one of the Complete Champion "Spirit Totems". The most popular combo is Spirit Lion Totem to pick up Pounce and then Wolf Totem Barbarian to pick up Improved Trip.

There's no "official" source that says they were intended to be combined this way, and some DMs put the kibosh on this because they consider it "unrealistic" or "too cheesy". (Other more enlightened souls might refer to this as MCHNT, or "Melee Can't Have Nice Things".)

If you want to make an argument that two totems does make sense, I would try:

1) Monotheism is a relatively modern invention, and not all that widespread among many tribal cultures.
2) How many totem poles have you seen with a single animal?
3) The tribe has a totem spirit that the entire tribe worships, but individual warriors are encouraged to seek out their own spirit guide.
4) The character is from a mixed family, where his father's tribe worshiped one totem but his mother's tribe worshiped another.