PDA

View Full Version : Boss battle music suggestions?

desero clades
2015-03-19, 01:07 AM
My players are fighting their first big boss battle and I was looking for some cool music to play alongside the fight.

They are fighting against oozes and an aspect of an ooze deity (powered black pudding). So maybe something slowish, or creepy sounding? Any ideas?

Gwendol
2015-03-19, 03:31 AM
Pink Floyd "The Wall"? You get a reference to pudding at the end.

themaque
2015-03-19, 09:39 AM
Actually, I would suggest looking into Final Fantasy Soundtracks.

The music is generally regarded as excellent, even in the poorer games. It's made to be looped, get you ready for action, however not be to intrusive.

Those last few points can be said for any Video game soundtrack, but few really manage to pull it off. Anything with clear lyrics has the potential to be distracting for some players.

mephnick
2015-03-19, 10:28 AM
Look up Two Steps from Hell. You're welcome.

It's mostly really epic, but there's some slower ones as well.

Shining Wrath
2015-03-19, 10:32 AM
Ride of the Valkyries is dramatic without being fast.

Anything by Bob Dylan sounds like someone gargling :smallbiggrin:

MustacheFart
2015-03-19, 11:43 AM
Probably not applicable to this encounter but I like to play AC/DC's thunderstruck. More specifically David Garrett's violin cover of said song.

jazzymantis
2015-03-19, 12:10 PM
I've been using Zelda music for my games. People really like it when they get the little jingles for opening a secret door.

Ocarina of time and wind waker have some good boss music.

Pyon
2015-03-19, 12:34 PM
Try Monster Hunter Tri OST! The Tundra Battle song is what I remember when I think of "creepy crawly" but epic.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-19, 12:53 PM
Have the players each pick a battle song.

Roll a dwhatever to determine which song that boss gets. Then the next boss do the same thing except don't count the song used at the first boss, but don't replace it either, let the other character's choices be heard.

Plus you might find new and cool battle songs.

But don't tell them it's specifically for boss battles ;)

MrStabby
2015-03-19, 03:54 PM
Hall of the mountain king could be good if you time it right - less suited to being looped though.

Also Sprach Zarathrustra is pretty good victory music.

Rallicus
2015-03-19, 06:27 PM
I use this for every boss battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omOYI3x61W0

I don't know how well it will work with oozes... but then again, I don't know how well anything will work with oozes.

Grayson01
2015-03-19, 06:53 PM
Enemy by Disturbed

Maxilian
2015-03-20, 10:32 AM
We actually enjoy using game music, mostly because it goes pretty well with the game, we like using Monster Hunter music (normally when fighting a really big boss), for creepy music you could try checking Diablo 2 and 3 soundtrack, Child of Light musci fo well when figthing anything that's holy or fey, in general it depends on the theme you need for the fight

Note: Games like GW2 and WoW have a lot of different soundtracks that you could use for those battle

Aurthur
2015-03-20, 02:06 PM
Actually, I would suggest looking into Final Fantasy Soundtracks.

This. I typically use (in Roll20) one of the three different standard FF fight musics...and throw One-Winged Angel in for boss fights. I also throw in the Star Trek Fight Music on occasion...

And...always...everytime...do I use this song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YCN-a0NsNk)for when they emerge victorious. :) It's actually pretty funny and gets a smile out of the group every time.

Other songs I like for these include the Lonely Man theme from the Incredible Hulk for dungeon wandering, Matrix Fight Song "Clubbed To Death" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_FM2sl5lZk) for tense roleplaying, and some other assorted great ones. :)

mephnick
2015-03-20, 02:33 PM
Also, the first boss of Demon's Souls is literally an Ooze battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMphk_j27yw

desero clades
2015-03-20, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I did end up going with some monster hunter music. I wish I remembered the demons souls music. It would have been perfect!

burninatortrog
2015-03-20, 04:49 PM
Just to add to the list of quality game soundtracks, I suggest giving Okami a listen.

Demonslayer666
2015-03-20, 05:16 PM
The Soundtrack to Conan the Barbarian.

Chadamantium
2015-03-20, 09:02 PM
probably not great for oozes but for another Boss fight, Mourning ritual's cover of Bad Moon Rising is great entrance music.

Easy_Lee
2015-03-20, 09:13 PM
There's a lot of good stuff in here:
http://vip.aersia.net/vip.swf

Envyus
2015-03-20, 11:05 PM
I personally love some of the Shin Megami Tensei IV music and find it can work really well for encoutners.

Totema
2015-03-22, 01:51 PM
For any kind of TRPG music, I prefer avoiding commercial music and instead choose some kind of soundtrack, the logic being that commercial music is designed to get stuck in your head which makes it distracting during play, and soundtracks are designed to blend into the background and set a tone.

supergoji18
2015-03-22, 02:12 PM
My players are fighting their first big boss battle and I was looking for some cool music to play alongside the fight.

They are fighting against oozes and an aspect of an ooze deity (powered black pudding). So maybe something slowish, or creepy sounding? Any ideas?

Halo's Flood theme is absolutely perfect for this type of battle