PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Fleshing out a character concept: Illumian with devil bloodline

KillingAScarab
2015-03-19, 08:39 AM
I have been thinking about trying to build a character using the Unearthed Arcana bloodlines (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm), recently, and I think I have hit upon something which might be intriguing: giving an Illumian a bloodline. I'm considering the devil bloodline, though I haven't ever tried to play even a Tiefling. I have long known about Illumian power sigils, but I haven't ever really tried to understand Illumians before. As long as I'm throwing together multiple things I have never tried, Hexblade seems like a good compliment to this. Now I need to pull this all together, so I'm here to solicit opinions, mostly on Illumians.

As the living embodiments of a magical language, it seems like I may not even need to come up with any extraplanar branches on the family tree to explain the devil bloodline; it could result from some sort of corruption of the language. The description of Soorinek gave me the idea that there could be someone with ties to devils who is responsible for this character's bloodline. Might be a hook a DM would appreciate. Does this seem valid to anyone else? Also, any idea on what type of devil might have particularly strong ties to languages? I think there's a hexblade spell which lets you turn into a hellcat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/devil.htm#hellcatBezekira), but I don't know if they're a likely candidate as they seem closer to magic beasts.

The impression that I have of Illumians is that the majority of them consider written language to be more important than spoken language, which might be something of a point of aggravation or pride for a hexblade. I'm still not sure how to justify the character becoming a hexblade, though. A side effect of the character's heritage, perhaps, or a result of their two power sigils? So far, I'm considering a lawful neutral character, thinking that it would involve clinging to a code to avoid temptation. Any thoughts on what sort of self-imposed code an Illumian might come up with? Would it depend more upon the type of cabal (if any) the character is attached to?

I would also be interested in opinions on roleplaying a familiar versus using the dark companion alternate class feature for a hexblade. The last 3.x character I made had a soulspark familiar, and I think I didn't handle it very well, but I understand that hexblades might make an attractive class to have a familiar.

Troacctid
2015-03-19, 01:05 PM
Well, what do devils and written language have in common? Contracts. Your Illumian may have a natural affinity for contract law. He may not necessarily be signing anyone's soul away, but some ranks in Profession (Lawyer) would be very thematic.

Red Fel
2015-03-19, 02:36 PM
Well, let's put it all together, shall we? First, heritage. You're going with a Devil, hm? What about a Logokron Devil (Tome of Magic)? These are the Truenamers of the Baatezu; exceptionally powerful schemers with legions at their command and a mastery of Truespeech, the language of reality. They are also known to make frequent trips to the Material plane for their research into Truenames. This latter detail is perfect - perhaps the Logokron ancestor, as part of some long-reaching scheme, took up with a mortal (for bonus points, a mortal librarian, which suited his research needs perfectly), producing the line from which your Illumian is descended. Further, because of the complexity of Logokron schemes, it's entirely possible that your PC's inevitable birth was the intended outcome, which means Great Grandpa will soon come a-callin'.

Next, race. Illumian. The connections are obvious. Devils are schemers, some Illumians rise within the cabal through ambition and scheming. Devils are rigidly hierarchical, Illumians are rigidly hierarchical. Logokrons recognize the power of words, Illumians are the power of words. It all fits nicely.

So, lastly, Hexblade. Where does Hexblade fit in? Well, that's trickier, in part because it's not the best class. (As an aside, I hope you're taking the Hexblade dead level (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x) fix.) Well, what is a hex? A hex is a manipulation of reality to make things worse for the target. Easily refluffed as more words. A word of misfortune or calamity; an Illumian word, perhaps, tinged with Truespeak and flavored with Baatezu heritage.

All in all, I really like the concept. So now that I've amused myself with my own musings, let's get to your more specific questions.

First: According to Dictum Mortuum's handbook (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/08/hexblades-handbook.html) on the subject, Dark Companion is really very good. Requires no save, moves on its own. And because it automatically reduces AC and saves, it ensures that, whether you use weapons, spells, or hexes, you will connect, which is a great way to ensure that your daily resources are used well. Unless you planned to use your familiar for combat and flanking (it's certainly more suited to it than a Wizard's), I'd suggest taking Dark Companion.

Second: As I suggested above, you can justify Hexblade as the PC inadvertently channeling his Illumian heritage into his Baatezu and Truespeech heritage. Basically, his own unique sigils incidentally channel just a hint of Devilish power, tinged with just a smidge of the underlying language of reality, to make a target extraordinarily uncomfortable.

Third: Code would very likely be derived from his Cabal. The question is whether his code would be the result of adopting the philosophy of his Cabal, or rejecting it. For example, if he is from an Ascension Cabal, it's quite possible that he adopted their philosophy (dedicating all resources towards the apotheosis of a single subject) while rejecting their specific goal (because he wasn't the subject of apotheosis). As a Devil-blooded being, ambition is literally in his blood, and seeking to become almighty isn't unreasonable. Similarly, if he came from a Gauntlet Cabal, it would be perfectly in-line with his heritage (Logokron are known to manage Baatezu spy networks) for him to seek to expand his influence through knowledge and espionage. In the alternative, he could have come from a Gibber Cabal, and, infuriated with the idea of creation through deliberate chaos, could seek to quash chaos in pursuit of absolute stability, order, and stasis. (You can't rule a world that keeps changing, right?)

Now, you say he's LN. Well, you can easily change from "control" to "maintain order." An LN character could still seek apotheosis (Ascension Cabal), or seek to preserve stability through espionage (switch Gauntlet Cabal to Chain Cabal), or crush the chaotic and novel (rebel against Gibber Cabal). The specific code would basically be a set of guiding principles; come up with his key values (e.g. "order," "power," "knowledge," "status,") and then prioritize them. For example, "Preserve knowledge of words above all things. Preserve order where it can be found, and create it where it cannot, except where doing so would destroy words." And so forth.

daremetoidareyo
2015-03-19, 03:10 PM
Dark speech in BOVD (p. 32) has no written component....yet. Perhaps an enterprising logokron found a way to commit some of it to written form...hence, your illumian.

Dark speech the feat has some nasty pre-reqs though (int and cha of 15 and a will save of +5). But it does neat things and flows nicely with Red Fel's suggestions. Especially as a hexblade (are you married to that class? duskblade is a much better chassis. But if so, here is a pretty ok handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7412.0))

KillingAScarab
2015-03-24, 04:38 AM
Thanks for the responses, thusfar. Red Fel, Logokron sounds like the kind of devil I was looking for, indeed. I don't currently have Tome of Magic, but I'll consider picking that up. I also was not aware of those "dead level fix" articles.

I'm aware the duskblade is a much more attractive gish than the hexblade is, but hexblade fits the concept I have, so far. The only thing it doesn't quite fit is the description of Illumians being trained in both weapons and wizardry (or some other combination of classes) as juveniles, while a hexblade has to grow into their spellcasting. I think I have a solution for that, which also solves my inability to commit to a cabal. I think this character I'm building was a sentinel in Elirhondas before becoming an adventurer, but before that I think something happened to separate the character from an actual cabal. This could mean the character received an irregular training which focused more on martial prowess, I just need to work a bit more on how that happened. So far, I'm thinking that an obvious devil influence on appearance created an incentive to run away from the cabal, which would have a portal to Elirhondas. Being so much larger than a cabal, Elirhondas could be a place where the character could enjoy a bit more freedom (or is at least tolerated a bit more). It also means I don't need to figure out the answer to "How do you solve a problem like Maria? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_%281959_song%29)"

Now, this is where D&D cosmology might make things a little weird. Elirhondas is a city built on the Plane of Shadow. I have to consider that this character would be played from 1st level, in which case would a DM for 3.5 be willing to allow planar travel in a player character's background?

atemu1234
2015-03-24, 09:46 AM
Dark speech in BOVD (p. 32) has no written component....yet. Perhaps an enterprising logokron found a way to commit some of it to written form...hence, your illumian.

Dark speech the feat has some nasty pre-reqs though (int and cha of 15 and a will save of +5). But it does neat things and flows nicely with Red Fel's suggestions. Especially as a hexblade (are you married to that class? duskblade is a much better chassis. But if so, here is a pretty ok handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7412.0))

Also, combine that with the Profession (Lawyer) idea, and you get Asmodeus' secretary.

Red Fel
2015-03-24, 10:02 AM
Now, this is where D&D cosmology might make things a little weird. Elirhondas is a city built on the Plane of Shadow. I have to consider that this character would be played from 1st level, in which case would a DM for 3.5 be willing to allow planar travel in a player character's background?

That's very "ask your DM" territory, and it risks evoking "special snowflake" sensibilities, but in my mind, a one-way ticket from Shadow to Material is not only intriguing, it creates motivation - if you ever want to get home again, you'd better become strong enough to do it on your own.

Be aware that it also dramatically limits hooks, however. There's no casual visits to/from home, no sudden realization that a family member is in peril and you must go help - that's still quite a few levels off.

But generally? If you can come up with a reason and a means for a first-level adventurer to have been shunted, one-way, from Shadow to Material, I wouldn't scream bloody murder.