PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Earth Elemental Grafts - Magic of Eberron

Wacky89
2015-03-19, 10:11 AM
So I've been looking at this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12154.0) handbook.
Under Stony Plates from a earth elemental it mentions they stack? Does that mean you could purchase 10 of them and they would stack?
I've looked it up, I dunno where they got it from.

Maglubiyet
2015-03-19, 11:15 AM
No, you can't stack Stony Plate grafts. The stacking it's referring to is just reiterating the rules for modifier types (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm). It can stack with other types of AC bonuses (enhancements, dodge, size, etc.), but not other natural armor bonuses.

Generally the rule is that only one of any given type of modifier counts when applying the bonus. So if you had on an Amulet of Natural Armor +3 (enhancement to natural armor) and someone cast Barkskin (+2 enhancement bonus to natural armor) on you, you would not get +3 +2 = +5. You would just get the +3.

Likewise, if you had Stony Plate grafts and took the Mineral Warrior template (natural armor bonus) you would only get the higher bonus, not the two combined.

However, the bonuses from different types DO stack. So a Mineral Warrior (+3 natural armor) creature wearing and Amulet of Natural Armor +2 would have +5 AC.

Bronk
2015-03-19, 11:36 AM
I think that as an untyped non-magical bonus it does stack with other bonuses, just not with itself. So only that +1.

Are you sure your link goes to the guide you're using and not the better minmax boards one? I don't find Stony Plates on there at all...

Maglubiyet
2015-03-19, 11:40 AM
I think that as an untyped non-magical bonus it does stack with other bonuses, just not with itself. So only that +1.

It says it's a natural armor bonus in the Magic of Eberron.

Are you sure your link goes to the guide you're using and not the better minmax boards one? I don't find Stony Plates on there at all...

Yeah, I didn't see it in that link either.

Bronk
2015-03-19, 05:25 PM
The entry for 'Stony Plating' actually says "Your natural armor bonus to AC improves by 1," then follows it up by explaining that if you don't already have a natural armor bonus, it is +0, and thus it improves to 1.

It definitely stacks, as a specific effect of the graft.

Wacky89
2015-03-19, 07:39 PM
The entry for 'Stony Plating' actually says "Your natural armor bonus to AC improves by 1," then follows it up by explaining that if you don't already have a natural armor bonus, it is +0, and thus it improves to 1.

It definitely stacks, as a specific effect of the graft.

But can't you only have 1 skin graft?

Bronk
2015-03-19, 08:25 PM
But can't you only have 1 skin graft?

Yes, that's what it looks like. In this case, the graft location is 'skin', it says it merges with the skin, so your skin becomes 'graft'. The next one wouldn't have any actual skin to merge with.

Also, it looks like you can only ever have 5 Eberron style elemental grafts at a time (you had asked about having 10). That's a rule that's specific to Eberron grafts though, not the other ones you might have seen on the list you were looking at.