PDA

View Full Version : RPG like this Game?

Mr. Mask
2015-03-19, 11:26 AM
I was wondering if there were any tabletop RPGs similar to Freedom Planet. This game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMEmcVRNZvI

I'm not sure what'd be best for simulating the feel of the game. GURPS?

Maglubiyet
2015-03-19, 11:41 AM
If there's an RPG tailored to furries that would probably work.

Kid Jake
2015-03-19, 12:00 PM
To simulate the general feel of that game, from my viewing at least, the system is unimportant. Instead, pick a system at random and then have one of the players stand behind the rest shouting "Faster! Go faster! WHY ARE YOU SO FREAKING SLOW!? Go faster, damn your eyes!"

Red Fel
2015-03-19, 12:34 PM
So you want an RPG based on a game based on Sonic the Hedgehog? (Seriously, I can't be the only one who saw this trailer and thought it was a Sonic sequel.)

... Is there a StH RPG? I feel like there should be. I think someone was positing one on the Homebrew forums awhile back.

As an aside: Feel of the game? It's a twitch platformer. The feel of the game is button-mashing and avoiding/destroying obstacles.

RunrunrunrunJUMP!runrunrun STOP-TURN runrunrunrunJUMP! JUMP! OHGODJUMP! runrunrunrun BEAT THE LEVEL!

That's not exactly something that's easy to reproduce with dice, pencil, and paper. I mean, how would it look?

"Okay, roll to run. Good. Roll to keep running. Okay, I'm going to need a jump check. Ooh, sorry, you hit the spikes and died."

JNAProductions
2015-03-19, 01:10 PM
Having played FP a decent chunk, if you want the feel, get a DM who can make the writing shine through. FP has some good characters and a simple atmosphere (not a nice one, later on, but hey) that makes it really charming to me.

If you want to RP FP, you need the characters and charm. The system is probably irrelevant.

(Un)Inspired
2015-03-19, 04:51 PM
LARP it. LARP it hard.

themaque
2015-03-19, 05:00 PM
BESM? Is that still a thing? I honestly don't know but that's my first gut reaction.

Tengu_temp
2015-03-19, 05:11 PM
I'd run it with Mutants and Masterminds, but that's my general system for games that don't have their own dedicated system already. For a cinematic and fast-paced game it definitely works better than GURPS (GURPS is more suited for realistic systems), and it's better than BESM in general.

The most important thing, like JNAProductions said, is to get a DM who can replicate the atmosphere of the game - a world full of wonder and adventure, threatened by a genuinely intimidating and ruthless villain.

As an aside: Feel of the game? It's a twitch platformer. The feel of the game is button-mashing and avoiding/destroying obstacles.

RunrunrunrunJUMP!runrunrun STOP-TURN runrunrunrunJUMP! JUMP! OHGODJUMP! runrunrunrun BEAT THE LEVEL!

That's not exactly something that's easy to reproduce with dice, pencil, and paper. I mean, how would it look?

"Okay, roll to run. Good. Roll to keep running. Okay, I'm going to need a jump check. Ooh, sorry, you hit the spikes and died."

You're missing the point. You're talking about replicating the game mechanics, what the OP wants is something that will replicate the atmosphere of the game.
(Also Freedom Planet has almost no twitch "jump now or you fall into a pit/on spikes and die" segments. Which is good.)

LibraryOgre
2015-03-19, 05:32 PM
Though I rarely say it, Rifts.

Furries who run around, alternately avoiding stuff and blowing it up? That's Rifts. Or TMNT. But they're the same.

Karl Aegis
2015-03-19, 09:52 PM
Platformers don't translate well onto a tabletop.

So you want an RPG based on a game based on Sonic the Hedgehog? (Seriously, I can't be the only one who saw this trailer and thought it was a Sonic sequel.)

... Is there a StH RPG? I feel like there should be. I think someone was positing one on the Homebrew forums awhile back.

Nah, dude. It's the Megaman Zero franchise except it doesn't seem to have the iconic "defeat enemy to gain their ability" that most Megaman games have. Maybe it's just the non-scaling character of the original Donkey Kong with the fast pace and combat system of Megaman Zero with none of the good qualities of either.

Knaight
2015-03-19, 09:56 PM
This might actually be a good place to break out TOON.

Mr. Mask
2015-03-19, 10:40 PM
JNA, Tengu: The world does have a very enjoyable atmosphere, so a lot of it would be up to GM skill.

Tengu: This is a good suggestion. Limit it to powers that make sense in the setting, and you can get all the mobility powers and attacks suited to the genre.

Tengu, Jake, Red: On that note, some kind of platformer inspired tabletop game would be interesting to see (they managed it it with Street Fighter, so why not?). It might have sections where you try to collect as many rings and powerups as you dash through a stage as you possibly can (characters with more mobility powers having an easier time). Battles might work on a 2d side-view grid, just like 2d platformers, where you have to strategically move out of the way of an enemy's attacks, but still be in a position with enough action points to hit them inbetween/while dodging, or when their weakness is exposed.

Mark: Interesting. What's the system like? I was wondering what could get the mobile, hit and run mentality.

Karl, Red: It plays a lot like Sparkster/Rocket Knight and Sonic. I've seen it compared to Megaman and Gunstar Heroes. Having played the Megaman, X and Zero series, I don't feel it's worse (it isn't very similar, though).

Knaight: I'm not very familiar with TOON. I thought it played more like Warner Brothers cartoons?

Tengu_temp
2015-03-20, 08:52 AM
I think TOON is too silly for Freedom Planet. It's also for comedy games that operate on cartoon logic.

Nah, dude. It's the Megaman Zero franchise except it doesn't seem to have the iconic "defeat enemy to gain their ability" that most Megaman games have. Maybe it's just the non-scaling character of the original Donkey Kong with the fast pace and combat system of Megaman Zero with none of the good qualities of either.

Nah, the gameplay of FP feels like a combination between MMZ and a Sonic game, but even for Carol (who's most Megaman-like) it's still more Sonic than anything. Also, man, you really didn't like this game, did you? I thought it's pretty awesome.

---

Sidenote, and a PSA for everyone: there are people who don't like or dismiss Freedom Planet because they have the standard internet knee-jerk reaction against anything that has furries in it. Please don't be those people. If you don't like it, don't like it on its own merits.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2015-03-21, 02:40 PM
D&D would actually be a good fit. Let's see...

Lilac is a dragon bloodline sorcerer.
Carol is a thief rogue.
Milla is either an abjurer wizard or a shaper psion.

I would dispose of races altogether, since the variety in the setting is ridiculous. Perhaps let everyone come up with a custom racial bonus feat of 1-3 abilities.

However, your choice of system should be based on the needs of your setting. Going into dungeons and looting stuff is D&D's forte, and that'll be fine if that's what you're doing.

BESM? Is that still a thing? I honestly don't know but that's my first gut reaction.

I think that Fate Accelerated would be a better generic system for this.

Platformers don't translate well onto a tabletop.

No but the setting does. Three kingdoms on the brink war, one of which employs an ice mage as its chief of security. One BBEG evil villain pulling the strings, who also has an army of cannon fodder robots, who is fond of using cybernetics and advanced tech to make leaders for his troops. One kingdom uses a ancient power source from a precursor race that left advanced ruins out in the monster-infested wilds. Airships, full stop. There's also a literal clan of ninjas who disguise their hideout as a racetrack.

It could totally work, you just need to come up with a plot.