PDA

View Full Version : Can you move and cast 1 round casting time spells?

magicalmagicman
2015-03-19, 12:49 PM
My DM said he wasn't sure and told me to ask here.

Normally when you cast a 1 round spell, you spend your move action and your standard action casting the spell, and the effect happens at the start of your next turn assuming you haven't been interrupted.

But is this possible? You move and spend your standard action casting the spell, and on your next turn you use up your move or your standard action to finish the spell, and have 1 action left. If so can I choose what action I use up?
move action: I used my standard action in turn 1, so it makes sense that I use my move action in turn 2
standard action: Makes sense that continuing a spell is a standard action
I get to choose which action I use up: If the above two makes sense, why not this one as well?

Flickerdart
2015-03-19, 12:53 PM
When you split up a full-round action, you use a standard action in both turns. You may not choose to use a move action to complete the spell.

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-19, 11:39 PM
When you split up a full-round action, you use a standard action in both turns. You may not choose to use a move action to complete the spell.

Oh cool, I did not know this!

So you can move, start to cast
move next turn, finish casting?

Duke of Urrel
2015-03-19, 11:54 PM
I believe you should move, start casting, finish casting, and then move again. I don't believe you can interrupt a spellcasting action with a standard move.

Start/Complete Full-Round Action

The "start full-round action" standard action lets you start undertaking a full-round action, which you can complete in the following round by using another standard action. You can’t use this action to start or complete a full attack, charge, run, or withdraw.

Look up the text here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#startCompleteFullRoundAction).

elvengunner69
2015-03-20, 10:04 AM
I'm pretty sure there is a feat that lets you cast and move but maybe I'm remembering that incorrectly?

Ogh_the_Second
2015-03-20, 10:18 AM
I'm pretty sure there is a feat that lets you cast and move but maybe I'm remembering that incorrectly?

That would be Mobile Spellcasting (from Complete Adventurer?).

Darrin
2015-03-20, 10:58 AM
If you're casting a summoning spell, you can add Golden Desert Honey (300 GP, Complete Mage) to reduce the casting time to a standard action. Chronocharm of the Uncaring Archmage (500 GP, Magic Item Compendium) can also do this 1/day.