PDA

View Full Version : Fire Spells and Igniting Objects

ruy343
2015-03-19, 02:02 PM
The following is intentionally left ridiculous:

The text for many fire spells says that it does not ignite flammable material if it is being worn or carried. However, another object in the equipment section (oil for lanterns) says that it can be ignited. If you throw the bottle on an NPC, then cast scorching ray or fireball, does their clothing not ignite?

What's the flash point? What temperature is necessary for spontaneous combustion? If the spell doesn't reach that temperature, does it really burn the person? Should they take half damage from a fireball if wearing something particularly combustible, since the ambient temperature couldn't get high enough to ignite it? Should they take cold damage in some cases?

I don't seek an answer: this is clearly ridiculous. I just wanted to bring it up for the munchkins out there to throw at their DM. Are there any other odd things about the new system that break apart under this sort of strain? I want to be prepared for my munchkins...

JNAProductions
2015-03-19, 02:15 PM
Solo monsters are pretty vulnerable to grapple. A Rogue or Bard Strength build with Athletics Expertise can easily get +10 to Athletics by level 5. Combine that with something like Enlarge (can grapple huge creatures, advantage on all Strength checks such as Athletics) and they've got a greater than 50% chance of grappling someone with 30 Strength, like Tiamat. Against most monsters, they'll win incredibly reliably and can impose a lot of penalties on your monster, such as shoving them prone. Disadvantage on all attacks, grants advantage to all melee attacks, and if the grappler is a Variant Human with the Grappler feat, they can even be restrained for disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws.

Easily countered by Freedom of Movement, a high Athletics or Acrobatics skill, or using mobs, though, so nothing to worry about too much.

Mr.Moron
2015-03-19, 02:19 PM
The wizard is about to cast a fireball and we're surrounded by barrels of gasoline! Quickly, pick up the barrels of gasoline!

TrexPushups
2015-03-19, 03:36 PM
The following is intentionally left ridiculous:

The text for many fire spells says that it does not ignite flammable material if it is being worn or carried. However, another object in the equipment section (oil for lanterns) says that it can be ignited. If you throw the bottle on an NPC, then cast scorching ray or fireball, does their clothing not ignite?

What's the flash point? What temperature is necessary for spontaneous combustion? If the spell doesn't reach that temperature, does it really burn the person? Should they take half damage from a fireball if wearing something particularly combustible, since the ambient temperature couldn't get high enough to ignite it? Should they take cold damage in some cases?

I don't seek an answer: this is clearly ridiculous. I just wanted to bring it up for the munchkins out there to throw at their DM. Are there any other odd things about the new system that break apart under this sort of strain? I want to be prepared for my munchkins...

What they are going for is getting hit by a fireball shouldn't ruin all your scrolls, torches, and oil.

As DM you are still following the rules by igniting oil a creature is cover in etc. Just refrain from having the oil safely in their pack igniting them and all their belongings.

Jlooney
2015-03-19, 04:34 PM
This came up in my group so often we have a house rule on it.

The item must make a dex save using the carriers dex mod but the dc is at half. Magic flammable items such as scrolls or spell books get a bonus on the roll equal to the highest spell level contained on it

example. A dc 15 fireball would allow a scroll of magic missle (2nd level) that is being carried by the wizard with a dex of 16 to make a reflex save of dc 8 with a +5.

This gives a chance at blowing it up or making your wizard think a little harder.

Bubzors
2015-03-19, 04:43 PM
This came up in my group so often we have a house rule on it.

The item must make a dex save using the carriers dex mod but the dc is at half. Magic flammable items such as scrolls or spell books get a bonus on the roll equal to the highest spell level contained on it

example. A dc 15 fireball would allow a scroll of magic missle (2nd level) that is being carried by the wizard with a dex of 16 to make a reflex save of dc 8 with a +5.

This gives a chance at blowing it up or making your wizard think a little harder.

has this worked well for you? Seems very crunchy and time consuming. Do you roll for each object, or just make one roll and calculate the different bonuses then add them?

Not sure I like this. Would bog down encounters and cause grief when you are holdING a level 4 or 5 scroll and burns to a level 2 spell...

EvanescentHero
2015-03-19, 05:39 PM
The wizard is about to cast a fireball and we're surrounded by barrels of gasoline! Quickly, pick up the barrels of gasoline!

I really like the image of this. I'd love to see it in OotS!

Jlooney
2015-03-19, 05:53 PM
has this worked well for you? Seems very crunchy and time consuming. Do you roll for each object, or just make one roll and calculate the different bonuses then add them?

Not sure I like this. Would bog down encounters and cause grief when you are holdING a level 4 or 5 scroll and burns to a level 2 spell...

It is a little crunchy but for as streamlined as the rest of the game is I find it negligible. I only use it if I feel there is something worth while. That scroll of Nystuls Magic aura blows up but a lightning bolt scroll? I'd roll for that.