PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder arcane strike and Barbarian question

kpumphre
2015-03-19, 04:45 PM
Ok saw in a guide that arcane strike is a suggested feat. However how does a barbarian get it with out multicasting?

Anlashok
2015-03-19, 04:48 PM
You can't. The guide is outdated.

Long ago, you could use SLAs (and therefore just pick a race with one) to qualify for feats like Arcane Strike, but Paizo decided that it was unfair and removed that capability.

As it is a fairly recent change, older guides will not reflect this.

kpumphre
2015-03-19, 04:56 PM
Ok, I thought that was strange.

Dysart
2015-03-19, 05:14 PM
A little off topic but I think that's kinda a bad move and I'd allow it in my Campaign.

Arcane strike is channeling magic through your blade, doesn't matter how your character has access to that magic in my books, it's still magic.

Worth an ask to the GM, as long as you're honest and say that it's been changed he may have a similar mindset to me.

Spore
2015-03-19, 06:10 PM
I really don't get the fascination with Arcane Strike. I don't really think dealing 1-5 damage is worth a feat.

Zanos
2015-03-19, 06:11 PM
I really don't get the fascination with Arcane Strike. I don't really think dealing 1-5 damage is worth a feat.
+1-5 damage per attack with no to hit penalty that stacks with everything is pretty nice.

Dysart
2015-03-19, 06:16 PM
+1-5 damage per attack with no to hit penalty that stacks with everything is pretty nice.

At the cost of a swift action? No character I would ever play would sacrifice the most useful action type for a couple of damage. But I see the benefit!

Der_DWSage
2015-03-19, 06:17 PM
A little off topic but I think that's kinda a bad move and I'd allow it in my Campaign.

Arcane strike is channeling magic through your blade, doesn't matter how your character has access to that magic in my books, it's still magic.

Worth an ask to the GM, as long as you're honest and say that it's been changed he may have a similar mindset to me.

This bugs me, as I'm actually one of the people that felt that FAQ reversal was wise and hadn't allowed such shenanigans beforehand.

So I'll ask the same question here that I did to the person that brought it to me-how is casting Darkness, Daylight, Ghost Sound, or Disguise Self helping you deal extra damage in any way that makes sense? (And if you answer 'Raw Arcane Energy,' I get to punch your beloved childhood pets. It's a nonsense non-answer if you don't have a good supporting argument.)

squiggit
2015-03-19, 06:24 PM
So I'll ask the same question here that I did to the person that brought it to me-how is casting Darkness, Daylight, Ghost Sound, or Disguise Self helping you deal extra damage in any way that makes sense?
How does casting Grease, Hypnotism and Youthful Appearance?

(And if you answer 'Raw Arcane Energy,' I get to punch your beloved childhood pets. It's a nonsense non-answer if you don't have a good supporting argument.)

Not seeing how it's a nonsense answer. We're talking about magic here. "Magic" being the answer seems perfectly reasonable. Being able to innately channel certain spells allowing you to channel energy through a weapon is no more or less arbitrary than not being able to.

Kraken
2015-03-19, 06:44 PM
This bugs me, as I'm actually one of the people that felt that FAQ reversal was wise and hadn't allowed such shenanigans beforehand.

So I'll ask the same question here that I did to the person that brought it to me-how is casting Darkness, Daylight, Ghost Sound, or Disguise Self helping you deal extra damage in any way that makes sense? (And if you answer 'Raw Arcane Energy,' I get to punch your beloved childhood pets. It's a nonsense non-answer if you don't have a good supporting argument.)

What? So who does arcane strike make sense for, then? Purely from a narrative perspective, I don't see how it makes sense for a bloodrager that can cast enlarge person and long arm to be able to use arcane strike, but not tieflings, elves, and other races that can use magic natively via SLAs.

Dysart
2015-03-19, 07:25 PM

Awesome, I love a challenge. So here's my question to you, explain where the magic for a Tiefling's Spell like ability comes from. If I was a new player, some random dude off the street who thought that when people say "DnD" they mean Larping or dressing up like people from Lotr (or something equally offensive). Explain to me exactly how magic is used in Pathfinder.

On the "raw arcane energy" here's my reasoning for the Gnome race:

"Gnome Magic: Gnomes add +1 to the DC of any saving throws against illusion spells that they cast. Gnomes with Charisma scores of 11 or higher also gain the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation, and speak with animals. The caster level for these effects is equal to the gnome's level. The DC for these spells is equal to 10 + the spell's level + the gnome's Charisma modifier."

So what that reads is that a Gnome through sheer force of personality (aka Charisma) is able to force small amounts of magic from deep within their blood/heritage (they are basically Fae afterall) and are able to produce effects that summon Light and Sound out of nothing. Or if we say the Illusion works only in the minds it affects, they're able to (by no other reason than being a gnome) able to force a sound into the mind of anyone close enough to be affected.
And you say that this exact same force that gives them such magical powers couldn't be channeled differently by adding a bit of extra weight behind the blow of their hooked hammer?

Sacrieur
2015-03-20, 04:51 AM
There was something to be said about how arcane magic is somehow using planar energies. An alternative explanation is that magic is an unseen force just like any other that exists and it can be manipulated and shaped. Or you could say that it's a system of interacting with an interface that changes the world around you, this functions because your character is actually living in a simulated Universe... Dun dun dun...

You may as well ask, "How are gods able to do anything?"

How can a Tarrasque have regeneration that's just some extraordinary ability? Like seriously the bugger can't die because of some natural process. Can't explain that.

I think it's intentionally supposed to be cryptic about what magic is, especially since designing some kind of magical framework really doesn't do anything but fluff the world and source material is more about providing rules and content than building your world for you.

skypse
2015-03-20, 05:29 AM
Ok saw in a guide that arcane strike is a suggested feat. However how does a barbarian get it with out multicasting?

On the topic, one of Barbie's main goals is to find a way to use rage-cycling. This is the ability the Barbie has to get into and out of rage every round so he can refresh the "once per rage" rage powers that he has. One of the earlier (and imho) most effective ways to do so, is to multiclass to Oracle on level 9, pick the lame curse and become immune to fatigue in general. Except from this being just awesome as an immunity for a Barbie, you also get the "Orisons" class feature from the 1level dip which basically means you get 0 level spells that you can use for the arcane strike :)

Pyron
2015-03-20, 06:01 AM
On the topic, one of Barbie's main goals is to find a way to use rage-cycling. This is the ability the Barbie has to get into and out of rage every round so he can refresh the "once per rage" rage powers that he has.

Am I the only one who's picturing a Barbie doll as a raging warrior decapitating other dolls?

skypse
2015-03-20, 06:30 AM
Am I the only one who's picturing a Barbie doll as a raging warrior decapitating other dolls?

Barbiarian Rogue multiclass:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wfSPHxeKGsc/ToRlzP2pSmI/AAAAAAAADy8/mz5yePxEfpw/s640/roguebarbie.jpg

Barbie Barbie:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-UpYn3U9NM5E/ToRlxJmplpI/AAAAAAAADy0/62tX1NkjWbg/s640/barbarianken.jpg

A girl's toys!

atemu1234
2015-03-20, 06:49 AM

Crom's Malibu Dream House?

Barstro
2015-03-20, 02:07 PM

Maybe the makers are old-school and remember when Barbarians were not allowed to possess any magic.

Dysart
2015-03-20, 02:11 PM
Maybe the makers are old-school and remember when Barbarians were not allowed to possess any magic.

If that's the case then I expect the next errata to be making it impossible for Gnomes to be Barbarians.

grarrrg
2015-03-20, 09:32 PM
Oracle...also get the "Orisons" class feature ...that you can use for the arcane strike :)

:smallconfused:I don't think Arcane Strike is the feat you are thinking it is.
ARCANE Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/arcane-strike-combat) requires Arcane casting.

Also, Arcane Strike just requires that you can cast Arcane Spells, you do not actually "cast" any spells when using the feat. So I'm not sure how Orisons/Cantrips are all that important.

Barbiarian Rogue multiclass:
I do believe this is one of those rare cases where "Rouge" is the correct spelling :smallwink:

The Random NPC
2015-03-20, 10:27 PM
At the cost of a swift action? No character I would ever play would sacrifice the most useful action type for a couple of damage. But I see the benefit!

Wait, what are you using for your swift actions?

kpumphre
2015-03-21, 09:42 AM

Actually that was my question beyond Bard I rarely play a caster. Some items have swift action but for a barbarian not that many swift that I can see.

lsfreak
2015-03-21, 03:03 PM
:smallconfused:I don't think Arcane Strike is the feat you are thinking it is.
ARCANE Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/arcane-strike-combat) requires Arcane casting.

Also, Arcane Strike just requires that you can cast Arcane Spells, you do not actually "cast" any spells when using the feat. So I'm not sure how Orisons/Cantrips are all that important.

Probably got confused, the 3.5 version has you burning spell slots in order to deal extra damage based on the spell slots sacrificed.

I'm also slightly missing why Swift actions are so important for barbarians. Granted I have very little PF knowledge, but I wasn't under the impression they added so many swift actions as to make them such a regular thing (outside certain builds, just like 3.5).

deuxhero
2015-03-21, 04:37 PM

Find something better a Barbarian could do with their swift action before the ACG.

There's pretty much nothing for them.

Dysart
2015-03-21, 05:06 PM

Sorry guys, been playing Pathfinder today.
If I was building a Barbarian I'd be heading down the Intimidating route so that I could use the swift action to demoralise all enemies within 30ft I believe!

I meant in general, for instance playing a magus, the swift action is the highest commodity.
It's important to remember that Immediate actions use up the swift action of your next turn (don't ask for rules citation as I can't find it atm) and I'm sure some Barbie stuff is immediate actions instead of Free.