PDA

View Full Version : The Sorcerer as a Druid

ChubbyRain
2015-03-19, 11:11 PM
So for a one shot a player has asked to use the sorcerer as a druid since they always thought druids should be more caster-ish and also use cha instead of wisdom for a casting stat.

I'm thinking of doing the following.

Use the Sorcerer class features as is.
Give them the druid spell list in place of the Sorcerer spell list.
Give them a choice of one list of Circle of Land additional spells.

This druid can not take wild magic.

How might this play out in a medium op game, say at level 8? This is not the definitive level we will start with, but it might be.

I'm really liking this "druid" actually and I might play it myself one day. Metamagic divine spells might be fun.

Tenmujiin
2015-03-20, 05:09 AM
So for a one shot a player has asked to use the sorcerer as a druid since they always thought druids should be more caster-ish and also use cha instead of wisdom for a casting stat.

I'm thinking of doing the following.

Use the Sorcerer class features as is.
Give them the druid spell list in place of the Sorcerer spell list.
Give them a choice of one list of Circle of Land additional spells.

This druid can not take wild magic.

How might this play out in a medium op game, say at level 8? This is not the definitive level we will start with, but it might be.

I'm really liking this "druid" actually and I might play it myself one day. Metamagic divine spells might be fun.

Wild magic seems more druidy than dragon.

Giant2005
2015-03-20, 05:26 AM
Why use a Sorcerer subclass at all?
the Sorc subclasses get abilities on 4 different levels and so do the Druids. All you would need to do is change the levels which the Druid subclass abilities show up, and you have a perfectly viable Sorc subclass.
Although I wouldn't recommend a Moon Druid - their abilities would be pretty lackluster if they don't have the Wildshape ability.

Hopeless
2015-03-20, 07:03 AM
Is this the right place to ask why not both?

As in multi-class or is that no longer possible?

Have they changed the rules regarding that?

Strill
2015-03-20, 07:05 AM
Is this the right place to ask why not both?Because you don't learn higher level spells.

As in multi-class or is that no longer possible?

Have they changed the rules regarding that?

You gain the same spell slots as a single-classed caster, but learn spells from each class separately. So you end up with a bunch of lower level spells, and no higher level ones.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-20, 07:17 AM
Wild magic seems more druidy than dragon.

Not at all, dragon is all about becoming one with a dragon. Replace that fluff with the element itself and you have great mechanics and decent fluff for a druid becoming one with an element of nature.

Wild Magic isn't about nature, just the weave of well, wild magic. I would say wild magic is the anti-nature because it causes effect ts that is in opposition to the natural order of things.

Why use a Sorcerer subclass at all?
the Sorc subclasses get abilities on 4 different levels and so do the Druids. All you would need to do is change the levels which the Druid subclass abilities show up, and you have a perfectly viable Sorc subclass.
Although I wouldn't recommend a Moon Druid - their abilities would be pretty lackluster if they don't have the Wildshape ability.

First off, wildshape won't be used at all. Not only does the player not want to deal with it but they just don't like the idea of druids wildshaping as a separate class feature from their spells (polymorph and other spells cover it).

There is no need to house rule or change things more than we need to. Dragon blood sorcerer gives the player the mechanics to be a caster druid and fluff their other mechanics to fit too.

The unarmored defense will be the druid's skin merging with an element. For example if they choose lightning their unarmored defense will be fluffed as them merging with lightning and becoming faster.

The land druid stuff to be given is only one circle of land extra spells (coast, mountain, under dark, etc...) to the spell list. The Sorcerer must still learn them, but this gives a bit of flexibility to the class. If the sorcerer wants to take an acid or lightning spell then they can get one outside the normal druid spell list.

It isn't like the Sorcerer will be overpowered with the extra spells added to their spell list.

However the primary goal of this chara ter is to be a battlefield control expert. I'm really looking forward to challenging the player.

SharkForce
2015-03-20, 10:27 AM
my gut feeling is that the druid spell list will be more powerful than the sorcerer's hamstrung spell list, but sorcerer is on the weaker side of the caster spectrum anyways. you'll probably wind up with something more like what i wish the sorcerer was, actually :P

in any event, like i was saying, i'd place this on the higher end of the caster scale, but it won't be stronger than the current strongest casters.

Joe the Rat
2015-03-20, 12:59 PM
I'd give them the choice between using the sorcerous origin options, or gaining the Circle benefits (normally 2, 6, 10, & 14) at the "Sorcerous Origin" levels (1,6,14, & 18). Natures Ward & Natures Sanctuary would come in late, but the bonus cantrip is fine early, and Land's Stride still hits at 6. That one can be a real benefit to a controller druid.

ChubbyRain
2015-03-22, 11:53 AM
So things went fantastically with this character.

I actually think the draconic sorcerer + base sorcerer class features make a much better druid then the current druid. It makes for a better sorcerer too (unless you want to blow stuff up). They used standard point buy to be state their ability scores.

Rick the Air Genasi Folk Hero "Druid". Level 6
"I'm never going to give you up, say good bye, or hurt you."

Str: 8, Dex: 16, Con: 18, Int: 8, Wis: 12, Cha: 16 (+2 at 4th level)
HP: 50
AC: 16

• Unending Breath
• Mingle with the Wind: Can cast levitate 1/day
• Rustic Hospitality: Commoners are willing to shelter you from some trouble
• Sorcerous Origin: Draconic Bloodline (Silver, Cold)
• Dragon Ancestor: You know Draconic and gain double your proficiency bonus on Cha checks when speaking with dragons
• Draconic Resilience: Gain 1 extra hp per level, and grow scales which have an AC of 13 when you aren't wearing armor• Font of Magic: You have 6sorcery points used to alter spells and regain spell slots
• Heightened Spell: You can give one target disadvantage against a spell's save for 3 sorcery points
• Twinned Spell: You can cast a single target non-self spell on two targets for 1 sorcery point per level
• Elemental Affinity: You can use a sorcery points to gain resistance to your draconic element for an hour and your spells of that damage type deal Cha mod extra damage

Everything dragon was refluffed as some sort if gift from nature.

Spells: Gain Arctic Spells to spell list, do not gain automatically.

Cantrips: Frostbite, Magic Stone, Produce Flame, Thorn Whip, and Guidance

1st: (4 slots) (3 Known): Goodberry, Entangle, Faerie Fire

2nd: (3 slots) (2 Known): Hold Person, Spike Growth

3rd: (3 slots)(2 Known): Sleet Storm, Spike Growth

The main tactic was to use Frostbite, just as any cold sorcerer would. Twinned when in need. Heighten spell wasn't used with this, as the "druid" targeted things that typically wouldn't have high con saves (lurkers, casters, ranged creatures).

While dealing with the boss battle the "druid" laid down spike growth while standing in the center of it. The druid didn't move but used thorn whip/twinned thorn whip to pull creatures into it and was actually able to take care of a lot of the minions with the strength rogue using shove to keep them near by (for the lolz, he didn't want to deal sneak attack damage as he was having to much fun with the "druid").

The others in the group was taking on the boss, as soon as the minions were done the druid heighten spell Hold Person and the Half-Orc Barbarian... Well yeah.

A dragon sorcerer with the druid spell list might be my favorite caster. Metamagic is wasted on being a striker, the real worth of metamagic comes with controlling.

WickerNipple
2015-03-22, 12:58 PM
I'd have no problems with this if one of my players wanted to do it.

Sounds fun to me.