PDA

View Full Version : Explosve spell: the spell that explodes.

Halcyon_Dax
2007-04-10, 09:17 PM
So I will be playing a wizard with a flare for the dramatic in an upcoming ebberon campaign. I have plenty of room to fool around with my feats and go for simply fun ones.

Otherwise I might inadvertantly become too powerful. :smallamused:

Anyways, I was wondering about the metamagic Explosive Spell.

Explosive spell says that it pushes creatures caught in its area.... well out of its area.

I dont have the book on me for exact wording, but there is one thing I really want to know.

Would a lightning bolt or other similar line spell shoot the opponent far back allong the line (effectively being an awsome Laser Bullrush) or instead just shunt them 5 feet to the side (yawn).

Any replies would be welcome, along with other perhaps fun uses of explosive spell.

Jasdoif
2007-04-10, 09:21 PM
Sorry, you're gonna yawn. :smalltongue: The feat's text says it moves them to outside the nearest edge of the spell's area. That'd be off to the side.

Halcyon_Dax
2007-04-10, 09:22 PM
Blaaaaaaaaah!

Raaaaaaaargh!

Grug
2007-04-10, 09:24 PM
Combine it with shape spell for a cone. i'm sure the dm will rule that since the cone travells away from the caster, the enemies would to.

Stevenson
2007-04-10, 09:34 PM
Yeah, well so does a lightning bolt. This isn't a bullrush metamagic though: it's explosive, it'll just blow 'em out of the area as directly as possible.

Jasdoif
2007-04-10, 09:37 PM
If your DM will allow it, Explosive Shout could be fun. "CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?"

Shout is a cone and does allow a Reflex save (albeit only for objects), so it technically qualifies for Explosive Spell....

Mewtarthio
2007-04-10, 09:43 PM
...Say, could you apply that to Shout and Greater Shout? Technically, they do allow Reflex saves (albeit to protect items), and while they don't deal damage per se, they can affect noncrystalline guys. It's not particularly valuable, of course, but I just love the image of a Wizard yelling and blowing everyone away with the sound of his voice.

Kinda reminds me of Kung Fu Hustle, now that I think about it.

EDIT: How? How can somebody who espouses loud shouting in battle become a ninja? How?!

Fax Celestis
2007-04-10, 09:45 PM
Explosive Great Thunderclap is terrific: Fort save or be deaf, Reflex or be prone, Will or be stuned, and you're pushed outside the area.

AtomicKitKat
2007-04-10, 10:59 PM
Don't forget Born of the 3 Thunders. If you can find a way to be immune to both electricity and sonic damage, you can place the effect on yourself, or any other position where the opponent has to move the most to leave the AoE. More importantly, since they'll be stunned/prone, they'll have to spend plenty of time getting up, which mitigates the Dazed effect.

Of all the core spells, I would say Ice Storm has the largest AoE, but the spell level makes it prohibitive. :/

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-04-10, 11:07 PM
Aracane Thesis for the favorite dramatic spell = much room for fun. Suddenly adding all those effects isn't nearly such a problem.

Jasdoif
2007-04-10, 11:09 PM
If you can talk your DM into making a metamagic rod of explosive spell (which will yield lots of fun in its own right), sunburst (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sunburst.htm) has an 80-foot radius and allows a reflex save. An explosive sunburst would be like a telekinetic cruise missile.

EDIT: How? How can somebody who espouses loud shouting in battle become a ninja? How?!Bwaha! None foresee the Screaming Ninja, nor the Shuriken of Sending Simultaneous Similar Statements Suggesting Shout...which are augmented by alliteration!

Fax Celestis
2007-04-10, 11:38 PM
If you can talk your DM into making a metamagic rod of explosive spell (which will yield lots of fun in its own right), sunburst (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sunburst.htm) has an 80-foot radius and allows a reflex save. An explosive sunburst would be like a telekinetic cruise missile.

Bwaha! None foresee the Screaming Ninja, nor the Shuriken of Sending Simultaneous Similar Statements Suggesting Shout...which are augmented by alliteration!

Widened Sunburst would have a 160' radius, if you ignore the fact that it'd take up an 11th level slot.

Kel_Arath
2007-04-10, 11:44 PM
ya, it throws them back. whats fun is get an enlarged explosive lightning bolt and cast it up at something (be a halfling laying down under a human), then they are flying in the air!

Jasdoif
2007-04-10, 11:46 PM
Widened Sunburst would have a 160' radius, if you ignore the fact that it'd take up an 11th level slot....Brilliant. New plan! Talk DM into allowing a metamagic rod of widening explosive spell. And/or lift the restriction on only using a single metamagic rod on a cast, and invest in Still Spell to forgo that somatic component stuff.

Helgraf
2007-04-10, 11:46 PM
Blaaaaaaaaah!

Raaaaaaaargh!

However, lightning bolt + 10 foot or smaller hallway = laser bull rush.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-11, 12:01 AM
Widened Sunburst would have a 160' radius, if you ignore the fact that it'd take up an 11th level slot.

Greater Metamagic Rod of Widen + Metamagic Reducer of Your Choice (Arcane Thesis, Easy Metamagic (Explosive), etc) = Fun!

EDIT: Ooh! With your Greater Metamagic Rod of Explosive, you could apply the metamagic to a Meteor Swarm! Make four ranged touch attacks to deal a total of 48d6 damage and push the poor sap 160 feet away! Sure, a Maximized Empowered Disintigrate is better damage-wise, and any non-damaging ninth-level spell blows it all out of the water, but you can not tell me that wouldn't look extremely cool!

Ninja Chocobo
2007-04-11, 12:14 AM
What happens to someone in the middle of an explosive Fireball spell?
Where do they get pushed to?

Mewtarthio
2007-04-11, 12:18 AM

I'd guess caster's choice. After all, they can aim to land in front of, behind, or to either side of the target, can't they?

PinkysBrain
2007-04-11, 12:20 AM
Greater Metamagic Rod of Widen
Doesn't exist AFAIK.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-11, 12:25 AM

They get tucked into a pocket dimension, the same one that Rogues disappear to while using Evasion.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-11, 12:30 AM
Doesn't exist AFAIK.

If a Greater Metamagic Rod of Maximize exists, there's no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to make a Greater Metamagic Rod of Widen for the same price, nor a Greater Metamagic Rod of Explosive for the price of a Greater Metamagic Rod of Empower.

Bag_of_Holding
2007-04-11, 01:40 AM
Explosive Great Thunderclap is terrific: Fort save or be deaf, Reflex or be prone, Will or be stuned, and you're pushed outside the area.

That's gonna hurt.:smalleek:

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-11, 02:41 AM
Explosive Apocalypse from the Sky. Extraordinary Spell Aim to exclude yourself.

BOOM.

Douglas
2007-04-11, 06:48 AM
Using one of the generic artifacts you are (RAW) assumed to have an unlimited supply of in your spell component pouch for the material component :smalltongue:

Halcyon_Dax
2007-04-11, 06:09 PM
Apocalypse from the sky.... I love it!

I like the mental imagery of widened exploding sunburst in the middle of a tightly packed orc army. As a DM I would have to say that most of the ones near the center are shot upwards from the blast. Like in videogames when an explosive blows up at someones feet.

Only with an army.

And 1,000,000 times (approx) more awesome.

How many squares along the ground could the widened sunburst hit?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-11, 06:12 PM
160' radius means a sphere 320' wide at its widest point. So, 64 squares in diameter at the widest point.

Indon
2007-04-11, 06:18 PM
Hmm... Explosive Earthquake? You'd need one of those Arcane Thesis-type things, though.

SpiderBrigade
2007-04-11, 06:18 PM
Explosive Apocalypse from the Sky. Extraordinary Spell Aim to exclude yourself.

BOOM.That would be about 1000 times as much fun as casting area spells on the bookcases in TES: Oblivion. Which is already hella amusing.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-11, 06:22 PM
Explosive control weather sounds fun.

Indon
2007-04-11, 06:23 PM
Explosive control weather sounds fun.

You'd need some way to give it a saving throw. Reflex to dodge the raindrops?

SpiderBrigade
2007-04-11, 06:23 PM
Doesn't have the reflex save, though.

Edit: too slow. =(

Fax Celestis
2007-04-11, 06:27 PM
You'd need some way to give it a saving throw. Reflex to dodge the raindrops?

Reflex to avoid being knocked over by wind.

That being said: explosive grease? :smallconfused:

martyboy74
2007-04-11, 06:40 PM
Reflex to avoid being knocked over by wind.

That being said: explosive grease? :smallconfused:
Minefield!

Jack_Simth
2007-04-11, 06:43 PM
So what does happen when you apply it to a spell with a duration (Web, say, just for grins)?

Does everyone in the area of effect when it goes off get pushed out?

Does it continue to push out anyone who enteres the area of effect?

Something else?

AtomicKitKat
2007-04-11, 07:10 PM
I thought it only applied to spells with a duration of "Instantaneous".

Agree on the Explosive Sunburst. Hilarity all around, and it even looks like a big ol' nuclear explosion just went off, what with the blindingly bright flash and all.

martyboy74
2007-04-11, 07:11 PM
I thought it only applied to spells with a duration of "Instantaneous".

Agree on the Explosive Sunburst. Hilarity all around, and it even looks like a big ol' nuclear explosion just went off, what with the blindingly bright flash and all.
All you need is an illusionary mushroom cloud!

Dausuul
2007-04-11, 09:46 PM
All you need is an illusionary mushroom cloud!

I think the mushroom cloud should come free of charge with the Explosive Sunburst.

Jasdoif
2007-04-12, 02:01 PM
So what does happen when you apply it to a spell with a duration (Web, say, just for grins)?

Does everyone in the area of effect when it goes off get pushed out?

Does it continue to push out anyone who enteres the area of effect?

Something else?From the "reflex save required" portion of the feat, I'd say it was intended to only push them out if they fail whatever Reflex save the spell allows. In the case of web, that's when the spell is cast. But that's no fun :smalltongue:

Personally, I'd say it pushes them out immediately as normal, and then they have to make another Reflex save each time they try to enter the area of the spell (or each time they remain in it at the end of their turn) or be expelled. Because I'm easily entertained, I would pick a random point of their intended movement through the spell's area before pushing them out, if they're trying to move through it when they fail the save.