PDA

View Full Version : Just a Quick Rant

Allianis
2015-03-20, 07:32 AM
So my group has just finished a campaign for which I was the DM. We took the parties from level 1 to level 15. We started off with The Forgotten Forge, then Shadows of the Last War, then Whispers of the Vampire Blade, then Grasp of the Emerald Claw, followed by a continuation which had them fighting off the Lord of Blades, Errandis D'Vol, enough Rakshasa to rightfully consider Lady Vol a crazy cat lady, and even a brief skirmish with a Rakshasa Raja (though to be fair that was mostly thematic). We had good times, we struggled, a couple of PC's got killed, one guy had to write up 3 different characters, but in the end I have only one real complaint.

How in the blazing skies of the Abyss (which they were in by the way), did I never, not even once, get to go first? Literally, every single encounter, at least one player went before the bad guys. Even in surprise rounds, someone would always get off a spot or a listen and get to act before my people. I mean, come on! The barbarian seriously once did a one-hitter-quitter one a wizard who was 4 levels his senior, with buffs already cast, before he even got one spell off!

Ok, that was my rant. The dice giveth, and they taketh away.

Bronk
2015-03-20, 08:47 AM
Not enough dire tortoises?

LoyalPaladin
2015-03-20, 09:02 AM
My DM literally refuses to make a character/monster without Improved Initiative and my party is all about dex/Improved Initiative. So I've accepted my roll of going last every time. They poke it a couple of times and then I one shot the leader. That's the usual plan. Don't worry Allianis, your time will come to shine.

Allianis
2015-03-20, 10:12 AM
My DM literally refuses to make a character/monster without Improved Initiative and my party is all about dex/Improved Initiative. So I've accepted my roll of going last every time. They poke it a couple of times and then I one shot the leader. That's the usual plan. Don't worry Allianis, your time will come to shine.

I tried to resist the urge to optimize my NPC's or build them specifically to nerf the PC's, but even so, that's just statistically improbable. Oh well, next campaign I'm not the DM, and I'm going to stab someone out of the blue just to say I finally got to go first.

dascarletm
2015-03-20, 10:14 AM
Perfect.

You have set the ground work and your players are lulled into the false sense of security of constantly going first.

Keep up the charade a while longer good Allianis, for when they are truly complacent you will unleash a terror rife with initiative and the ability to decimate players in the first round.

No more will they laugh and snicker behind your back, always calling you names. Mocking your inability to move first... they are so smug in their mockery... OH but we'll show them... We will show them what wraith they have brought upon themselves, and no more will they think themselves our better... I will bring this upon them. I will have them kneel before me begging for the sweet mercy of a turn...

LoyalPaladin
2015-03-20, 10:25 AM
I tried to resist the urge to optimize my NPC's or build them specifically to nerf the PC's
Our party was crushing the monsters that were thrown at us, so our DM upped the ante a little bit. He doubled all creature's health and started pulling Arduin creatures. I think the CR went up a bunch too. Either way, it got way harder but way more fun. There are these creatures called Varaags that can move 24ish squares. Needless to say, they got really annoying really fast. You'd love them. They always go first.

Flickerdart
2015-03-20, 10:36 AM
Homebrew a version of Church Inquisitor that always gets a surprise round because the enemy never expects them.

Chronos
2015-03-20, 10:53 AM
You'd also have to give them a fear aura and some sort of fanaticism ability.

LoyalPaladin
2015-03-20, 10:55 AM
You'd also have to give them a fear aura and some sort of fanaticism ability.
You also need to wear an improved version of Lunistra, the Heartstar.

mashlagoo1982
2015-03-20, 04:52 PM
I mean, come on! The barbarian seriously once did a one-hitter-quitter one a wizard who was 4 levels his senior, with buffs already cast, before he even got one spell off!

What level was the wizard? Did he not have Invisabilty and Fly cast?

Thurbane
2015-03-20, 05:00 PM
Put in some monsters with retributive abilities - things that damage the players or weapons when they're hit, or that reflect spells.

Or even things that blow up when they die, like the Destruction Retribution or Final Strike feats, or the spell Death Throes. In fact, if you had an undead with an elemental subtype and Cleric casting, he could have all three of these (expect players to be grumpy!).

bjoern
2015-03-20, 05:28 PM
Well, look at their sheets, see their initiative bonuses, and give everyone they face similar bonuses. This negates the benefit if their arms race.

Droningbass
2015-03-20, 05:56 PM
Homebrew a version of Church Inquisitor that always gets a surprise round because the enemy never expects them.

Ah, the Spanish Church Inquisitor. Their two principal weapons are fear and surprise, and ruthless efficiency... Amongst their weaponry are such diverse elements as fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the pope, and nice red uniforms.

Kudos sir, I lost it upon reading your comment. :smallbiggrin: