PDA

View Full Version : Collaborative Game Design

darkscizor
2015-03-20, 08:15 AM
Right now, my sleep-deprived brain's kind of funny, and I thought of a good idea for a game, a light-on-rules, GM-support-heavy game like the one I'm creating myself. Is there any way the we (we being all the tabletop gamers on the forums, of course) could all work together on an RPG to see what happens: Since I'm a good writer and can contribute a few rules from my game, and all of you are awesome and know RPGs just as well as I do, it shouldn't take too long to get some stuff onto the game. Right now I'm working on a way to share it, but here's the few rules I can put into the game without it looking like I just copied MY game from here.

Currently, I'm posting most of my FreeHB for the game. Edit it as you wish, and then post your changes. Together, we can create a new game, and hopefully even have a few threads devoted to it and adventures for it, IDK, even a communal writing thingy.

Currently, I'm taking the role of Owner for some official stuff reasons, but once we get the game going and it's pretty different from before (and with more rules), I'll create a system for approving changes and have at least three other people be co-owners, retiring from my position. Not yet, though.

(Exactly as from my game)
---------- is a role-playing game combining and simplifying rules of various role-playing games (RPGs) such as Dungeons and Dragons, Pathfinder, and Challenger. There are four stat types- Strength, which measures physical power (Athletics), as well as your combat ability (Combat), is the first. Dexterity is the second, which measures your ability to hide (Stealth) and your all-around abilities including pick-pocketing and dodging attacks (Acrobatics). Charisma measures your social ability in (Deception) and (Diplomacy). Intelligence is your knowledge of magic (Magic) and healing (Medicine). Perception is separate, and used to look around at your surroundings. Stats (Strength, Dexterity, etc., etc.) are different from skills (Diplomacy, Athletics, etc., etc.). You add your stat to your skill, but you don’t add your skill to your stat. For example, a wizard has an Intelligence of 2, and a Magic of 4. You can add 6 to a Magic roll with your stat and skill, but you can’t add your Magic to a roll made to remember facts about rust monsters, even if it’s an Intelligence roll.

The game uses different types of polyhedral dice, including four, six, eight, ten, twelve, and twenty-sided dice. Two and three-sided dice can be used, too. To get the result of a three-sided die roll, you divide the result of a six-sided die by two, rounding down, and a two-sided die can be expressed as even/odds. Dice are marked in the book as d(number of sides), so a d4 would be a four-sided die. A roll always has a modifier, which is added to the end of the roll. A modifier of -3 would subtract three from the result of the roll, and a +2 adds two to the roll. Advantage is when you roll two d20s and pick the higher number, and you pick the lower for disadvantage.

Races
In ------------, you can play as one of four races. Their racial traits are listed here.

Human
Humans are the most versatile and adaptable of all races, but are also the most short-lived, and usually have a life span of seventy years. As a human, you gain a +1 to three stats of your choice, or a +2 to two stats of your choice. You also gain a +1 to Diplomacy. Humans have a speed of 30 and gain two ability points per level, but no ability points at levels two and three. Your size is medium.

Classes
In RoL, you choose a class, which is sort of like your “adventuring profession”, or what you specialize in. You can choose to pick two classes, but you have to spend a level to go up a level in that class. You add the HP together. For example, a Wizard wants to pick the Fighter class to be able to use weapons and have better HP. He takes his level-four Wizard character sheet and adds the first-level fighter abilities and weapons the next time he gains a level instead of gaining a Wizard level like normal. He counts as level five in the game though, and he will have to gain 5000 XP instead of 4000. He also gains 1d10 HP, even though he’s just joining the class, he already took a maximum at level one. When you take a class at level one (character creation), you add the maximum HP on the die, which is listed with the class. When you gain a level in that class afterwards, you add a roll of that die to your HP and HP maximum.Spell points are an way to cast spells instead of x/day, and in the morning of each day, you regain all lost spell points, to a maximum of 2x your level, and to a minimum number of 4 points.

Wizard, d4 HP
Wizards are the mysterious arcanists of the RoL world, from old, magical men in old towers to witches dwelling in swamps.
Keen Mind- You can give yourselves advantage on an Intelligence roll once/day. This increases to 2/day at level four, and 3/day at level five.
Rituals- You can cast a spell as a ritual, taking one hour. You may need to use up to 50gp’s worth of materials, the exact cost and materials determined by the DM.
Advanced Casting, learned at lv. 6- You, by studying magic and casting your spells frequently, have learned to cast Advanced spells (in the full RoL packet). Wizard spells are below.

Orb of Light
Orb of Flame
Heal
Magic Missile

Wizards gain a +2 to magic, and an additional +1 to magic or medicine at levels three, six, and nine. You can use light crossbows, daggers, clubs, and quarterstaffs.

Spell example:
Magic Missile, arcane spell
Spell Points: 2, Material Components: A small piece of glass
When this spell is cast, you choose one creature within range (60ft), and make an attack roll against that creature, using Magic as a modifier instead of Combat. If the attack roll beats the target’s Armor Class, then that creature takes 1d8 Force damage. If you do not beat that creature’s Armor Class, then that creature takes 1d4 Force damage. Using Additional spell points lets you target an additional creature for every two spell points used after two.

An item example
Battleaxe
1d8 slashing damage, heavy (small creatures have disadvantage using this)
20gp
4lbs.

So, what do you all think? Can we build a giantitp RPG and post it for all readers to use, free?

Post any and all changes, additions, and modifications that you can think of.

I figured that we should work on races and classes ourselves depending on what the game will be like, but here are two examples, one of race and one of class, to show how I personally think they should be made.

Kid Jake
2015-03-20, 02:05 PM
What exactly's being simplified? It looks like you just took 3.5/Pathfinder, smashed some stuff together and then stapled some 5e rules to it.

darkscizor
2015-03-20, 06:09 PM
The basic rules are sketchy, and a few of the things in it are weird. For example, there's no class variation, so two level-five dwarven clerics have the same class features and etc. This is majorly based on an old RPG I wrote before I started playing D&D. But enough focusing on that, let's just add stuff. I'll post again later.