PDA

View Full Version : Detect Magic

melchizedek
2007-04-10, 10:35 PM
I'm planning to have Detect Magic work slightly differently in my next campaign. I'm planning for it to only work for magic of the same type as the person casting the spell. Thus, clerics/druids and other divine spellcasters would be unable to detect arcane magic, and vice versa. What problems would this cause?

Inyssius Tor
2007-04-10, 10:40 PM
It would be less powerful... but it's a cantrip.

You don't have to worry about your cantrips being underpowered.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-10, 10:44 PM
i think its an ok idea...certianly going to be fun when they cast it and forget it

Winged One
2007-04-10, 10:53 PM
You would also have to keep track of which type of magic every single effect is, including magic items. It'll probably just be a coin flip in cases where it's ambiguous, but it's just that much more recordkeeping.

Maldraugedhen
2007-04-11, 08:09 AM
I don't think it would add THAT much complexity. Although i am slightly concerned about the idea of clerics being completely blind to magical traps. Maybe you could allow characters to hold Detect Magic for more rounds to see the same procession for the opposite magic type, but at reduced ability to spot it. Maybe just limit them to seeing the presence or absence of the opposite magic type.

Neko
2007-04-11, 08:32 AM
It is kind of interesting but what happens when your group only has a divine or a arcane caster? You encounter magic of the othertype and you're up the river and your paddle you used for firewood lastnight

Kyrsis
2007-04-11, 08:34 AM
One thing I thought about was, yes they can distinguish between arcane/divine, in the sense of process of elimination, but limit the ability to use spellcraft and figure out the exact school (unless character concept would allow, like multiclass wizard/cleric of course)