PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [3.5] two weapon warblade - build help

Raezeman
2015-03-20, 10:37 AM
Greetings,

i'm trying to make a dual wielding war blade. First version: 20 levels of warblade. Focussing on tiger claw (for dual wielding stuff) and diamond mind (for the counters). Feat progression (won't be a human):

1: two weapon fight
3:weapon focus
6:weapon specialization
9:improved two weapon
12:melee weapon mastery
15:greater two weapon fighting
18:??

How does this look? I always seem to think that focus/ specialization/ mastery is worth it when wielding two of the same weapons, but what is the advice on this? Also, none of the bonus feats from warblade seem to be gamechanging or really necessary, so some advice on those too please?

Also, i was looking at the bloodclaw master prestige class. That one really fits the dual wielding warblade style, but is the class actually worth it? In case yes, does that mean any changes regarding feats?

Cheers!

ComaVision
2015-03-20, 11:00 AM
Have you tried reading this?

Warblade Handbook (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?176968-Masters-of-the-Sword-A-Warblade-s-Handbook-Under-Construction)

Darrin
2015-03-20, 11:28 AM
How does this look? I always seem to think that focus/ specialization/ mastery is worth it when wielding two of the same weapons, but what is the advice on this?

On TWF fighters, yeah, Weapon Focus/Specialization is probably worth it, because what else can you spend those fighter bonus feats on? For a Warblade... not so much, because you only get 7 feats, and a +1 attack/+2 damage bonus is still kinda lackluster. Melee Weapon Mastery helps, and you need the bonus damage, but +4 damage for three feats is still kinda weak. However... you're a Warblade. Weak feats aren't going to hurt your build all that much.

Also, none of the bonus feats from warblade seem to be gamechanging or really necessary, so some advice on those too please?

Combat Reflexes: The pick of the litter. It helps you qualify for Double Hit (Miniatures Handbook) and Robilar's Gambit (PHBII). It's also required for racking up damage with Stormguard Warrior's Channel the Storm.

Improved Initiative: Take this if you can't find anything more interesting. It's a solid feat, and going first is good for any class.

Blind-Fight: When you've already taken Combat Reflexes and Improved Initiative, take this one next. It's also a prereq for Mage Slayer/Pierce Magical Concealment, which is a pretty decent combo to have on a Warblade.

Ironheart Aura: You may need this to get Stormguard Warrior. Stormguard is hard to pull off on a Warblade 20 because the feat investment is so steep. But if you can get it to work... oh so very satisfying.

Quickdraw: When I play meatbags, I tend to load them up with a bunch of alchemical items and oddball weapons (nets, lassos, eggshell grenades, etc.). Being able to draw these weapons as a free action helps prevent me from falling behind in the action economy. If there's only one or two weapons you need to quickdraw, then buy a few Least Crystals of Return (300 GP, MIC) instead.

Stone Power: A better pick for Crusaders, as they can shunt damage into their Steely Resolve. But there might be some situations where you know you want to soak up some damage but don't really care about hitting.

Blade Meditation: Another good "I have no idea what to pick" feat, but not all that great pick for TWF because focusing on standard-action strikes isn't a good strategy for TWF. A better pick if you know you're going to focus on Diamond Mind strikes.

Also, i was looking at the bloodclaw master prestige class. That one really fits the dual wielding warblade style, but is the class actually worth it? In case yes, does that mean any changes regarding feats?

For a Warblade, no. BCM 3 is nice because it reduces your TWF penalties to zero, but it also dings up your BAB. If you were to spend those three levels on Warblade and just take Weapon Focus, then you have the same attack bonus as a Warblade that went into BCM. But you have a better pick of weapons, and have an easier time TWFing with a two-handed weapon.

More advice: TWF OffHandbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279079).

Karl Aegis
2015-03-20, 11:43 AM
I thought this would be about a crossbow Warblade. I was disappointed.

Darrin
2015-03-20, 11:53 AM
I thought this would be about a crossbow Warblade. I was disappointed.

My notes for Ranged Warblades (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=10296220&postcount=420). You'll want to pick a race that comes with crossbow proficiency to start with: Neraph, Savage Progression Tiefling/Warblade, Lesser Drow.

Trasilor
2015-03-20, 01:49 PM
Just to add - Martial Study and Martial Stance are great too. Warblades have a great recovery system - combine that with adaptive style and you can not only refresh your maneuvers with a standard attack, you can change them too. Having more maneuvers allows more options (picking up White Raven Tactics for instance). Note, adaptive style allows you to change your maneuvers as a move action - allows you to change out expended maneuvers for other known (but not readied) maneuvers.

Darrin
2015-03-20, 02:03 PM
Note, adaptive style allows you to change your maneuvers as a move action - allows you to change out expended maneuvers for other known (but not readied) maneuvers.

Actually, Adaptive Style requires a full-round action. But it's still useful for a Warblade because it allows them to change their readied maneuvers once combat starts. Some Warblade players may not be aware of this and think "refresh" means they get to pick a new set of maneuvers, but they can actually only refresh the maneuvers they started the combat with.

Hellborn_Blight
2015-03-20, 07:46 PM
One thing I've found that helps two weapon fighter a lot is to use bludgeoning weapons and have the party arcane cast greater mighty wallop on your weapons for you. You can get ahead of the curve a little by using large weapons and having strong arm bracers, or him using suffer the flesh to at least jump the spell to it's next bonus increment (they are in every 4 levels) Wielding weapons that are effectively colossal by level 12 can be devastating in the right build. Over-sized two weapon fighting with a Warmace as the damage progression step up is insane: 3d6 Large, 4d6 Huge, 6d6 Gargantuan, and 8d6 at Colossal. Maul is only one less average damage than Warmace in the end but doesn't have the -1 to attacks. Either way if you are having trouble working the feats into your build just ask the same arcane to Heroics or masters touch you. Two fighter levels are also not bad either to pick them or some of the other feats you want (like melle weapon mastery). As an added benefit of wielding one handed weapons, if you did decide to power attack, your damage rate doesn't get hit like most two weapon fighters.