PDA

View Full Version : Need a Template

Blackhawk748
2015-03-20, 10:40 AM
I need a template that gives Fast Healing or Regen. LA is not a problem as this is for a monster. Thanks in advance

dysike
2015-03-20, 10:43 AM
The advanced undead template gives fast healing, and if the base creature isn't undead you can also apply the necropolitan template to make it undead.

This is only an option if the base creature has an intelligence of above 5 though.

ComaVision
2015-03-20, 10:53 AM
If it's just for a monster, just add Fast Healing or Regen??

Blackhawk748
2015-03-20, 10:55 AM
If it's just for a monster, just add Fast Healing or Regen??

Ill do this if i cant find and actual template that works.

ComaVision
2015-03-20, 10:57 AM
Ill do this if i cant find and actual template that works.

I'll try to be more helpful then. There's the Half-Troll template.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-20, 11:58 AM
I'll try to be more helpful then. There's the Half-Troll template.

Oooh, forgot about half troll, gonna look at that now.

Ruethgar
2015-03-20, 11:59 AM
There is the troll blooded feat from Forgotten Realms I think, and the Legendary Creature template from MMII.

geekintheground
2015-03-20, 12:02 PM
theres also feral from savage species

ezkajii
2015-03-20, 12:03 PM
The Monster Compendium (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?402179-The-Monster-Compendium) has a list of templates, including lists of what special qualities they grant. Just search for Regen or FH under the Special Qualities column; it'll let you know what book it's from too so you can go pull up the full details.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-03-20, 12:07 PM
Fast Healing:
Shadow Creature in LoM (tons of other benefits).
Healing Blood graft in LoM.
There's an epic feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#fastHealing) that gives it.

Zombulian
2015-03-20, 02:25 PM
theres also feral from savage species

Depending on what you want the opponent to be like, I really like feral.

Half-Troll is pretty good though.

ShurikVch
2015-03-20, 03:14 PM
Another templates:
Half-Vampire
Vivacious Creature
Corrupted
Animus
Vampire
Savage Vampire
Shadow Vampire
Terror Vampire
Scion of Kyuss
Spawn of Kyuss, Favored
Necromental
Zombie, Unkillable
Half-Golem – Stained Glass
Saint
Aleax
Monster of Legend

Also:
Half-Scrag (in water)
Radiant Creature (in light)
Dry Lich (in an arid environment)

Zombulian
2015-03-20, 03:35 PM
Another templates:
Half-Vampire
Vivacious Creature
Corrupted
Animus
Vampire
Savage Vampire
Shadow Vampire
Terror Vampire
Scion of Kyuss
Spawn of Kyuss, Favored
Necromental
Zombie, Unkillable
Half-Golem – Stained Glass
Saint
Aleax
Monster of Legend

Also:
Half-Scrag (in water)
Radiant Creature (in light)
Dry Lich (in an arid environment)

Half-Vampire is definitely a template that needs more love.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-20, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the help guys, im going with Half Troll. I love Feral but Half Troll is freakin awesome. Also if you curious, the Base Creature is That Damned Crab. :smallamused:

Half-Vampire is definitely a template that needs more love.

I love that Template.

Thurbane
2015-03-20, 03:50 PM
Worth noting that the fast healing from the Half-Vampire template only heals up to 1/2 maximum hit points, much like the Dragon Shaman aura.

Doctor Awkward
2015-03-20, 04:28 PM
That Damned Crab.

...any crab in particular?

Blackhawk748
2015-03-20, 04:34 PM
Ok, so ive got a Half Troll Monstrous Crab, now i need to name it. Currently its living in the Black Lake below an old Dwarven Fort and it was created by Duergar to be used as a war beast, but ultimately it was uncontrollable, so they forced it down a chasm where they assumed the fall killed it. They were wrong.

So i need a fun name for this monstrosity and i got nothing.

...any crab in particular?

This one. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040221a) Its commonly referred to as That Damned Crab here

Thurbane
2015-03-20, 04:41 PM
Oddly enough, there is a crab name generator: http://fantasynamegenerators.com/crab-names.php

Blackhawk748
2015-03-20, 04:45 PM
Oddly enough, there is a crab name generator: http://fantasynamegenerators.com/crab-names.php

I shouldnt be surprised, but i am.

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-03-20, 05:21 PM
Natalie after the Christmas Island Red Crab: Gecarcoidea natalis.

Doctor Awkward
2015-03-20, 05:35 PM
This one. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040221a) Its commonly referred to as That Damned Crab here

...holy crappin' Christ!

They put that thing at only a CR 3?? I wouldn't trust a party of level 5's to take that down.

BRB, making a Vermin Lord...

Blackhawk748
2015-03-20, 08:31 PM
...holy crappin' Christ!

They put that thing at only a CR 3?? I wouldn't trust a party of level 5's to take that down.

BRB, making a Vermin Lord...

Id trust a party of lvl 5s. I mean the Prepared casters (and Spirit Shamans) just got 3rd level spells, so thats Icelance, Fireball, Summon Monster/Natures Ally 3, in short you are now comfortably far away from that monstrosity. In short i would call it a CR 4 or 5, as it seems to be about as bad as a Troll, just no regen.

Doctor Awkward
2015-03-20, 08:51 PM
See, I know that my eyes saw Icelance, Fireball, and Summon Monster/Summon Nature's Ally...

But my brain keeps reading that as "Two Maximized castings", "Two Maximized castings AND a third person casting Magic Missile", and "Summon Lunch Buffet"...
Literally the only thing keeping the stuff off of SMIII from dying in one round is the DR/magic from the celestial/fiendish template.

And I also just saw it has a 40 ft per round LAND speed??

Round 1: Wow that looks big. Well it's 90 feet away, so I'll buff with <spell> while I wait for it to come closer.
Round 2: It charges you, and eats you. No save.

I mean, okay, a troll has three attacks, but at least it actually needs to hit more than once to kill you...

Necromancy
2015-03-20, 08:55 PM
Fast healing and regen are kinda meh for monsters from a DM perspective. They are usually negligible in combat. They're great for players to save on heal spells between combats though

I recommend going with DR instead. It's easier to keep track of and more effective

Blackhawk748
2015-03-20, 09:01 PM
See, I know that my eyes saw Icelance, Fireball, and Summon Monster/Summon Nature's Ally...

But my brain keeps reading that as "Two Maximized castings", "Two Maximized castings AND a third person casting Magic Missile", and "Summon Lunch Buffet"...
Literally the only thing keeping the stuff off of SMIII from dying in one round is the DR/magic from the celestial/fiendish template.

And I also just saw it has a 40 ft per round LAND speed??

Round 1: Wow that looks big. Well it's 90 feet away, so I'll buff with <spell> while I wait for it to come closer.
Round 2: It charges you, and eats you. No save.

I mean, okay, a troll has three attacks, but at least it actually needs to hit more than once to kill you...

I had that reaction too, but remember, its stupid, so bait works, also Enlarge Person makes you immune to its grab, so thats good. Basically at level 5 your party will generally have these things prepared or have potions of them. Yes this will be a horrifying fight, but it makes a good boss fight.

@Necromancy: I know that DR is generally better, but Fast Healing makes more sense as it was dropped down a 120 ft fall, so it needed to heal that in about a week, thus fast healing.

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-03-22, 07:26 AM
Besides, crabs actually can regenerate.