PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Changing weapons (or hands) during iterative attacks.

Hal0Badger
2015-03-20, 11:56 AM
Hello there. I want to know if it is possible to change your attacking weapon during a full attack action. Example:

I have a long-sword in my hand, and dagger on the other one, and I have a BAB +9.
Can I use my highest BAB (+9) with long-sword, than change to the dagger for my "iterative" attack (+4)?

I mind you, I am not getting the extra attack from 2-weapon-fighting technique. If I cannot;

Can a fighter with a +9 bab, use his first iterative attack to strike with his long-sword, then use his second attack to try a trip attempt (which requires a "melee touch" attack)? I am asking this, because if you cannot change the hand you use during your full attack action, and since you cannot trip with long-sword, it should be impossible.

Again, please mind that I am not talking about "Two-Weapon" fighting. All I want to know, if you can change hands (and weapons) during your full attack, for your iterative attacks. Any rule says you can or cannot, is appreciated.

OldTrees1
2015-03-20, 12:07 PM
Yes. You can switch weapons while using your iterative attacks unless you are gaining the extra attack(s) from the "two weapon fighting" special attack*.

*Using two weapon fighting requires you to declare a primary and off hand.

Karl Aegis
2015-03-20, 12:09 PM
Are you talking about full-round actions or full-attack actions? You seem to have flipped between them somewhere in your post. I can't seem to recall any full-round actions that give more than one attack outside of certain maneuvers.

Hal0Badger
2015-03-20, 12:11 PM
Can you give me a source on that? My logical assumption is the same, but I cannot find a clear description about iterative attacks which will prove or disprove this.

I am talking about "Full-Attack" actions, where you get multiple attacks. Fixed the original post.

Darrin
2015-03-20, 12:19 PM
PHB page 143:

"If you are using two weapons, you can strike with either weapon first."

The rules don't specify if "using two weapons" means you're using the TWF rules, or you have iterative attacks and just happen to have multiple weapons readied to attack.

The rules also don't say that you can switch between weapons later (such as on your third or fourth iterative attack), but it's implied by the "strike with either weapon" language that changing your primary weapon on any of your iterative attacks is allowed.

Curmudgeon
2015-03-20, 12:21 PM
You have restrictions and penalties if you want to get extra attacks for fighting with two weapons. If you don't want to get extra attacks you don't have those restrictions and penalties.
Two-Weapon Fighting

If you wield a second weapon in your off hand, you can get one extra attack per round with that weapon. You suffer a -6 penalty with your regular attack or attacks with your primary hand and a -10 penalty to the attack with your off hand when you fight this way. Wielding two weapons makes it possible to get extra attacks, but does not require you to do so.

3.0 D&D had handedness fixed at character creation, with the Ambidexterity feat to treat both hands equally. 3.5 has removed that feat, and you treat both hands equally by default. Your main hand is whichever one you designate as such when you attack.

Fitz10019
2015-03-20, 04:20 PM
Can a fighter with a +9 bab, use his first iterative attack to strike with his long-sword, then use his second attack to try a trip attempt (which requires a "melee touch" attack)? I am asking this, because if you cannot change the hand you use during your full attack action, and since you cannot trip with long-sword, it should be impossible.

Note, you could attack with your longsword on your +9bab, drop it (free action), draw a morningstar during a 5-foot step (free action if your BAB is +1 or higher), and try trip with your +4bab; all while using a shield. It just comes down to whether it's worthwhile to drop the sword.

Curmudgeon
2015-03-20, 04:25 PM
Note, you could attack with your longsword on your +9bab, drop it (free action), draw a morningstar during a 5-foot step (free action if your BAB is +1 or higher), and try trip with your +4bab; all while using a shield. It just comes down to whether it's worthwhile to drop the sword.
No, not with a 5' step.
If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may draw a weapon as a free action combined with a regular move. That rule is found under the Move Actions part of the Actions in Combat section of the PH Combat chapter. A regular move (as opposed to just any movement) is moving up to your speed as a move action.

Hal0Badger
2015-03-20, 09:04 PM
Well, thanks for the answers. As I suspected it does not have a clear definition, but some implying.