PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Gaining Fast Healing

The Random NPC
2015-03-20, 02:52 PM
Is there any way to gain a consistent amount of healing to a Barbarian, preferably 10/round, but 7/round works as well. I really want to play a Burn Rider (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo---barbarian-archetypes/burn-rider-barbarian-archetype) that just never stops raging.

Secret Wizard
2015-03-20, 03:51 PM
Ifrit have an alternate racial that grants them Fast Healing 1 when dealt fire damage. Renewed Vigor/Regenerative Vigor should give you some extra fast healing too.

The Random NPC
2015-03-20, 04:12 PM
The problem is (if I remember correctly) being lit on fire does 2d6 damage, an average of 7. Regenerative Vigor grants 1/6 your level as fast healing, which is 3 at level 18. Unless fast healing stacks, that's not nearly enough. I know that Fast Healing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/fast-healer) grants 1/2 your Con modifier to HP gained through resting and magical healing, but applying that to most fast healing is tenuous at best, and requires a rather large Con modifier regardless. I could try to convince a GM to allow a custom race, fast healing cost 6 RP for the first point, and the cost increases by one for each time it's taken. I just can't find a decent source of per round healing that won't also bankrupt my character, even if I limit it to combats only (though like I said, I really want to play a character that just never stops burning).

Platymus Pus
2015-03-20, 04:15 PM
The problem is (if I remember correctly) being lit on fire does 2d6 damage, an average of 7. Regenerative Vigor grants 1/6 your level as fast healing, which is 3 at level 18. Unless fast healing stacks, that's not nearly enough. I know that Fast Healing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/fast-healer) grants 1/2 your Con modifier to HP gained through resting and magical healing, but applying that to most fast healing is tenuous at best, and requires a rather large Con modifier regardless. I could try to convince a GM to allow a custom race, fast healing cost 6 RP for the first point, and the cost increases by one for each time it's taken. I just can't find a decent source of per round healing that won't also bankrupt my character, even if I limit it to combats only (though like I said, I really want to play a character that just never stops burning).

Get fire resistance somehow, it's very very common.

Half-Wizard
2015-03-20, 04:23 PM

Good point. Also, even if you get fast healing, that doesn't mean your character would voluntarily choose to constantly burn himself and heal. Sure, Wolverine might be able to survive being fired out of a cannon for long-distance suborbital trips. However, that does not mean that Wolverine would voluntarily choose to use that as his preferred method of long-distance travel. He just heals quickly, he's not a masochist. Fire resistance is the appropriate way to do this, because it turns the burning flames into just a warm tickle.

Yanisa
2015-03-20, 04:29 PM

Added to that, Fast Healer doesn't even work on Regenerative Vigor, because it's an extraordinary healing and not magical healing (or resting). By default Fast Healing is (Ex) anyways, so Fast Healer and Fast Healing rarely work together.
Ring of Regeneration is a source of "fast healing" that works with fast healer... but that still starts 1 hp per round + half your con modifier. Which is hard to get above the 5 hp per round...
A level dip in Inquisitor can give you 1 fast healing per round that is SU (trough the judgment), which then can be enhanced with Fast Healer.

Other then that high level spells, but that probably not in your reach as barbarian.

Perhaps you can look for an lower damage source of being on fire? Maybe your DM is willing to make a custom magic item for those purposes?

Platymus Pus
2015-03-20, 04:45 PM
Good point. Also, even if you get fast healing, that doesn't mean your character would voluntarily choose to constantly burn himself and heal. Sure, Wolverine might be able to survive being fired out of a cannon for long-distance suborbital trips. However, that does not mean that Wolverine would voluntarily choose to use that as his preferred method of long-distance travel. He just heals quickly, he's not a masochist. Fire resistance is the appropriate way to do this, because it turns the burning flames into just a warm tickle.

Or in same cases do nothing at all.
If you are doing this be sure to grab non-typed DR somehow.
It's what makes the fasthealing dangerous after all.

The Random NPC
2015-03-20, 07:56 PM

Fire resist doesn't work, as the archetype requires you to actually take damage.

Yes, but since it's my character, I can just decide he would.

Added to that, Fast Healer doesn't even work on Regenerative Vigor, because it's an extraordinary healing and not magical healing (or resting). By default Fast Healing is (Ex) anyways, so Fast Healer and Fast Healing rarely work together.
Ring of Regeneration is a source of "fast healing" that works with fast healer... but that still starts 1 hp per round + half your con modifier. Which is hard to get above the 5 hp per round...
A level dip in Inquisitor can give you 1 fast healing per round that is SU (trough the judgment), which then can be enhanced with Fast Healer.

Other then that high level spells, but that probably not in your reach as barbarian.

Perhaps you can look for an lower damage source of being on fire? Maybe your DM is willing to make a custom magic item for those purposes?

Right, Regenerative Vigor is right out, and most Fast Healing is (EX) like you said. So I took a look into lower sources of fire damage, and I found out that mundane fire is only 1d6. I doubt it can go lower, but I'm gonna keep an eye out. Regardless, that means the ring is probably my best bet, as I only need to heal 3.5 damage a round.

New question, anyone know how I can get a skeletal animal companion? I get a horse from the archetype.

Platymus Pus
2015-03-20, 09:02 PM
Fire resist doesn't work, as the archetype requires you to actually take damage.

Yes, but since it's my character, I can just decide he would.

Right, Regenerative Vigor is right out, and most Fast Healing is (EX) like you said. So I took a look into lower sources of fire damage, and I found out that mundane fire is only 1d6. I doubt it can go lower, but I'm gonna keep an eye out. Regardless, that means the ring is probably my best bet, as I only need to heal 3.5 damage a round.

New question, anyone know how I can get a skeletal animal companion? I get a horse from the archetype.

I'd like to point out it only takes a level 0 spell to end that regen.

Wolfofmibu66
2015-03-20, 09:26 PM
There is a really expensive way if your DM allows Psionics. You could just get an item of x/day or constant True Metabolism. 8th level power, 1 min/lvl duration, regenerate 10hp/round.

The Random NPC
2015-03-20, 10:07 PM
I'd like to point out it only takes a level 0 spell to end that regen.

Oh? Which one?

Platymus Pus
2015-03-20, 10:12 PM
Oh? Which one?

Create Water :P

The Random NPC
2015-03-20, 10:23 PM
Create Water :P

That doesn't stop the regen.

Platymus Pus
2015-03-20, 10:25 PM
That doesn't stop the regen.

I was under the impression you had to constantly be on fire.

The Random NPC
2015-03-20, 10:30 PM
I was under the impression you had to constantly be on fire.

I want to constantly be on fire, coincidentally Burn Rider can gain 1 round of rage if it takes fire damage, the regen is so I don't die by burning my self to death.

Basically, I saw this comic (http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/4p15/), thought it was neat, and then I noticed the Burn Rider ability. I'm trying to make a character based on that now.

Jack_Simth
2015-03-20, 11:27 PM
Right, Regenerative Vigor is right out, and most Fast Healing is (EX) like you said. So I took a look into lower sources of fire damage, and I found out that mundane fire is only 1d6. I doubt it can go lower, but I'm gonna keep an eye out. Regardless, that means the ring is probably my best bet, as I only need to heal 3.5 damage a round. Hmm... just some maths...

Ring of Regeneration base: 1 hp/round.
Fast Healer feat: + 1/2 con modifier/round.
Rage: +4 Con.
Average damage: 3.5/round (min 1, max 6).

So... base Con of 18 gives you a raging Con of +22, and thus fast healing 4.

With that assumption, some probabilities....
Lose 2 HP: Roll of 6 on the damage die, 1 in 6.
Lose 1 HP: Roll of 5 on the damage die, 1 in 6.
Lose 0 HP: Roll of 4 on the damage die, 1 in 6.
Gain 1 HP: Roll of 3 on the damage die, 1 in 6.
Gain 2 HP: Roll of 2 on the damage die, 1 in 6.
Gain 3 HP: Roll of 1 on the damage die, 1 in 6.

Now while yes, on average you can keep that up all day.... there's 4,800 rounds in 8 hours. There will be long stretches where you do not get average rolls. E.g., you might get a sequence like:
Is it likely? No. But each of those lines does have a 3.5 average. Consider that last one, with fast healing 4. On the 1's, 2's, 3's, and 4's, you're netting 0 damage per round, and are at full health. On those 5's you lose one HP each. On those 6's you lose two HP each. That's 21 damage down... and it's a distinct possibility.

Just for giggles, I wrote a quick bash script for testing this:

#!/bin/bash
declare -i CURENTHP MAXHP MAXDAM MINDAM FASTHEAL COUNT CURDAM MINHP MINROUND
CURRENTHP=$1
MAXHP=$1
MAXDAM=6
MINDAM=1
FASTHEAL=-4
COUNT=0
CURDAM=0
MINHP=$1
MINROUND=0
while [ $CURRENTHP -gt 0 ] && [ $COUNT -lt 1000000 ]
do
CURDAM=$RANDOM
let "CURDAM %= MAXDAM"
let "CURDAM += MINDAM"
let "CURDAM += FASTHEAL"
let "CURRENTHP = CURRENTHP - CURDAM"
if [ $CURRENTHP -gt $MAXHP ]
then
CURRENTHP=$MAXHP
fi
let "COUNT++"
if [ $MINHP -gt $CURRENTHP ]
then
MINHP=$CURRENTHP
MINROUND=$COUNT
echo Round:$COUNT, current:$CURRENTHP, Min:$MINHP at $MINROUND
fi
done
echo Round:$COUNT, current:$CURRENTHP, Min:$MINHP at $MINROUND

... and ran it a few times:
At 10 hp, the test died (0 or less HP) at rounds: 124, 310, 213, 440, 185
At 20 hp, the test died (0 or less HP) at rounds: 4816, 14650, 22188, 1434, 6050
At 30 hp, the test died (0 or less HP) at rounds: 331421, 19022, 68216, 438936, 278944
At 40 hp, I got two deaths (rounds 179,956 and 594,993); the other three tests survived the million rounds (lows of 10, 8, and 7).
At 50 HP, I got no deaths, but minimums of 14, 15, 21, 13, and and 15.

So while you'd usually start combat reasonably full... you won't always be so, and you can kill yourself doing this (unless your fast healing at least equals the max damage from your fire source). A few extra tests with some modified code say you'll be, on average, about three points down.

You might consider an alternate source of fire damage rather than simply being on fire. Your basic Torch (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/hunting-camping-survival-gear#TOC-Torch) being on fire, adds 1 point of fire damage. As a much more limited contact point that being fully on fire, this makes sense. So you could, instead, strap a lit torch to your head (you plan on being bald, right?) and just take a single point of damage every round. You'll need several, but they're 1 cp each.

The Random NPC
2015-03-20, 11:46 PM
Math

My GM uses a 25 point buy, so my stats are going to be:
Str 16
Dex 10
Con 20
Int 10
Wis 12
Cha 7

Then, with Raging Vitality (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/raging-vitality), the bonus to Con starts at +6. The ring grants +1 HP/round, Fast healer grants 1/2 con mod, for a total of 5 while raging. By 5th level, I'll have an average of 78 HP, and I can't even really afford a Ring of Regeneration before 14th. I think I'll be fine, though you do make a good point. Before I can afford a ring, I'll not really be able to take advantage of this, so it'd be nice to have a low level of fire damage to fuel it. I'll think about the torch, it's just not as awesome.

grarrrg
2015-03-21, 12:42 AM
As logical as "strap a torch to yourself" may seem, the Torch still requires an attack roll to deal Fire damage to you (and that Fire damage also comes with "damage equal to a Gauntlet").

_IF_ you can get the Torch idea to fly though, there is always Boots of the Earth (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/MagicWondrousDisplay.aspx?FinalName=Boots%20of%20t he%20Earth). Fast Healing 1 for 2,500? Yes please!

And as far as Fast Healing working with Fast Healer, note that the Fast Healing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Fast-Healing-Ex-) "Except where noted here, fast healing is just like natural healing."
Fast Healer only works on "When you regain hit points by resting or through magical healing".
The only way to "naturally heal" is through resting. So there is an argument for Fast Healer working with Fast Healing.

meschlum
2015-03-21, 01:30 AM
Well, if you're willing to burn a few levels...

- Devil Bound is CR +1 and gives Regeneration 5, but grants Fire Resistance.

- Mutant Creature is CR +1 and gives Fast Healing 5 and other benefits, but includes a debility that must be applicable.

- Mutant Goblin is CR +1 and can give Fast Healing (1, 2 or 5) and gives a Strength bonus, but requires being a goblin and gives random benefits.

- Nightmare Creature is CR +1 and gives Regeneration 5, and is awesome (if you're willing to be NE and have magical powers).

- Penanggalan is CR +1 and gives Fast Healing 5, but gives Undead type, which works poorly with Rage. The same holds for the different types of Vampires and other esoteric undead options.

- Blighted Fey is CR +2 and gives conditional Fast Healing 5, plus Strength and Constitution boosts. It requires Fey type, which isn't necessarily easy to get.

- Worm that Walks is CR +2 and gives Fast Healing 5 and a Constitution boost, but requires being a high level caster.

So your best bet is probably Mutant Creature, taken as late as possible so you can have as many mutations as possible. Otherwise, a Mutant Goblin can be good if you're lucky (and high level: 10+ hit dice needed to get Fast Healing 5), or a Nightmare Creature.

The Random NPC
2015-03-21, 02:20 PM
As logical as "strap a torch to yourself" may seem, the Torch still requires an attack roll to deal Fire damage to you (and that Fire damage also comes with "damage equal to a Gauntlet").

_IF_ you can get the Torch idea to fly though, there is always Boots of the Earth (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/MagicWondrousDisplay.aspx?FinalName=Boots%20of%20t he%20Earth). Fast Healing 1 for 2,500? Yes please!

And as far as Fast Healing working with Fast Healer, note that the Fast Healing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Fast-Healing-Ex-) "Except where noted here, fast healing is just like natural healing."
Fast Healer only works on "When you regain hit points by resting or through magical healing".
The only way to "naturally heal" is through resting. So there is an argument for Fast Healer working with Fast Healing.

Costs a move action and you can't move while benefiting from the boots. Still, it does allow me to start much earlier than I expected.

Well, if you're willing to burn a few levels...

- Devil Bound is CR +1 and gives Regeneration 5, but grants Fire Resistance.

- Mutant Creature is CR +1 and gives Fast Healing 5 and other benefits, but includes a debility that must be applicable.

- Mutant Goblin is CR +1 and can give Fast Healing (1, 2 or 5) and gives a Strength bonus, but requires being a goblin and gives random benefits.

- Nightmare Creature is CR +1 and gives Regeneration 5, and is awesome (if you're willing to be NE and have magical powers).

- Penanggalan is CR +1 and gives Fast Healing 5, but gives Undead type, which works poorly with Rage. The same holds for the different types of Vampires and other esoteric undead options.

- Blighted Fey is CR +2 and gives conditional Fast Healing 5, plus Strength and Constitution boosts. It requires Fey type, which isn't necessarily easy to get.

- Worm that Walks is CR +2 and gives Fast Healing 5 and a Constitution boost, but requires being a high level caster.

So your best bet is probably Mutant Creature, taken as late as possible so you can have as many mutations as possible. Otherwise, a Mutant Goblin can be good if you're lucky (and high level: 10+ hit dice needed to get Fast Healing 5), or a Nightmare Creature.

I don't like templates myself, but I recommend Mutant Goblin if you decide to use them. Then you can qualify for Burn! Burn! Burn! (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/burn-burn-burn-goblin). Not the best, but if you're a goblin that's always on fire, it's a free source of damage.

grarrrg
2015-03-21, 03:33 PM
Costs a move action and you can't move while benefiting from the boots. Still, it does allow me to start much earlier than I expected.

"not being able to move" is still extremely cheap for virtually the same healing that a Ring of Regeneration gets you (slightly better, as the Boots can heal damage you did NOT take while wearing them).

Honestly, I'm pretty certain those Boots should have an "only functions during combat/encounter" rider on them somewhere, like how Inquisitor Judgements only work during combat. As-is they are ludicrously cheap as all heck for what they do.

Jack_Simth
2015-03-21, 05:33 PM
Honestly, I'm pretty certain those Boots should have an "only functions during combat/encounter" rider on them somewhere, like how Inquisitor Judgements only work during combat. As-is they are ludicrously cheap as all heck for what they do.
Eh, not really. HP healing is overrated, for the most part. It's a little bit better than wands of cure light wounds... but mostly only due to the +4 to a small set of things for CMD and the little issue that anyone can use the boots. At low levels, a wand or two of cure light wounds will do the job for less, at mid+ levels the durations on your buffs are more important than the expense.

grarrrg
2015-03-21, 07:04 PM
Feral template in Savage Species

Pathfinder thread. Thanks for playing.

Eh, not really. HP healing is overrated, for the most part. It's a little bit better than wands of cure light wounds...

Healing is overrated yes, but you are missing the point.

Compared to EVERY OTHER Fast Healing-like item EVER MADE those Boots are GROSSLY DISCOUNTED.

The Boots give Fast Healing 1 (600 hp/hour), and a small bonus, for 5,000gp.
Pearly White Ioun Stones (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/ioun-stones/pearly-white-spindle-ioun-stone)
"normal" gives _6_ hp/hour for 20,000. Flawed is 4 hp/hour for 18,000. Cracked gives 1 hp/hour for 3,400
Ring of Regeneration is 'sort of Fast Healing 1', immune to Bleed and Regenerate, but ONLY for damage incurred while wearing the Ring for 90,000

For the price of _1_ Ring of Regeneration you can buy _EIGHTEEN_ pairs of Earth Boots.
For the price of _1_ Pearly White Ioun you can buy 4 pairs of Earth Boots.

The "no moving" restriction does NOT make up for how stupid-cheap they are. The simplest restriction I can think of that would put them at all anywhere near similarly priced is if they only functioned in combat.

Jack_Simth
2015-03-21, 09:05 PM
Healing is overrated yes, but you are missing the point.

Compared to EVERY OTHER Fast Healing-like item EVER MADE those Boots are GROSSLY DISCOUNTED.Right. Because at-will HP healing methods have always been grossly overpriced. The game designers are starting to catch on, so yes, the new items for it seem grossly discounted.

deuxhero
2015-03-21, 11:39 PM
I think finding a "better" source of fire damage would be more effective.

The cursed cloak of immolation can be covered with 6 regeneration/fast healing, which is much easier to manage.

The Random NPC
2015-03-22, 12:46 AM
I think finding a "better" source of fire damage would be more effective.

The cursed cloak of immolation can be covered with 6 regeneration/fast healing, which is much easier to manage.

Two problems with the cloak, 1: Does the same amount of damage as just lighting yourself on fire, 2: Takes up your shoulder slot.

Platymus Pus
2015-03-22, 08:30 AM
Two problems with the cloak, 1: Does the same amount of damage as just lighting yourself on fire, 2: Takes up your shoulder slot.
You can fuse items together you know, though it does cost some extra gold.

grarrrg
2015-03-22, 11:16 AM

Three problems with the Cloak,
3: It's a Cursed Item and requires a spell to be removed, whereas 'being on fire' can be ended with a REF save. In case of emergency, the REF save will probably be faster.

The Random NPC
2015-03-22, 01:58 PM
You can fuse items together you know, though it does cost some extra gold.

Yes, that's what I was referencing.

Second Arrow
2015-03-22, 05:55 PM
Potential idea:

..Weeeeell, there is a fairly straightforward way of getting Fast Healing 8+ every round when you are raging, but it has the unfortunate requirement of being a ranged barbarian with at least a one level dip in Skald, and it costs money + feats/dips, or just more money.

Logic as follows:
1) Skald's Vigor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/skald-s-vigor) gives you fast healing equal to strength bonus provided by Raging Song (+2 STR = Fast Healing 2)
2) Raging Song allows you to use other rage bonuses during a rage, if you are of the appropriate class. So, in this case, you'd have at least (+4 STR = Fast Healing 4)
3) If you are a Half-Orc with a Valet Familiar, you can get Amplified Rage kicking for an additional +4 to Strength, amongst other things. (+8 STR = Fast Healing 8) The easiest way is to dip Bloodrager and grab the bloodline familiar, but there are plenty of other options, including for instance just taking the Eldritch Heritage (arcane) chain, or grabbing Iron Will -> Familiar Bond.

Another option is to get the Horsemaster's Saddle (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/horsemaster-s-saddle), which allows you to share your teamwork feats with your mount, which might be more suitable given that you receive a mount as a class ability. Give your mount a +6 Strength while you are at it.

The clutch: "A raging song counts as the bard's bardic performance special ability for any effect that affects bardic performances." - Skald, PFSRD.

4) Get an adaptive bow with a Tuned Bowstring (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/tuned-bowstring). The tuned bowstring allows you to continue a performance for free as long as you fire at least one arrow every round.
5) Enjoy Fast Healing 8-ish when shooting!

Cons: You are now a ranged barbarian, however weird it might seem, and you would greatly prefer to have a charisma modifier that is not in the negatives, making you more MAD. In addition, your total BAB is now 19. On the bright side, you are a mobile turret firing arrows that do a ridiculous amount of damage. Fun.

Eox
2015-03-22, 06:03 PM
You only need Fast Healing 1, Siccatite (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/SpecialMaterials.aspx) (Towards the middle of the page, I don't know how to link to it directly) will deal 1 fire damage to you every round you're wielding a weapon or wearing armour made of it.

The Random NPC
2015-03-22, 06:11 PM
You only need Fast Healing 1, Siccatite (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/SpecialMaterials.aspx) (Towards the middle of the page, I don't know how to link to it directly) will deal 1 fire damage to you every round you're wielding a weapon or wearing armour made of it.

While that is mechanically superior, it doesn't have the same awesome factor as just being on fire does. Still a good find though.

grarrrg
2015-03-22, 09:09 PM

We have a winner, [/thread]

Azrael9986
2015-03-23, 03:15 PM
If hes not agaisnt a blood transfusion there is a "graft" you can get to give you 2/hp a turn.
Its in the lords of madness book.

Healing Blood: This unique graft consists of a total transfusion
of blood. The creature’s original blood supply is drained
completely and replaced with a similar fl uid that grants the
grafted creature fast healing 2.
Graft Flesh (silthilar), regenerate; Price 182,000 gp.

Also if you find a Silthilar who is in a good mood and you do a quest or two for it. They are usually pretty nice about giving out grafts as payments. Now I know aberrations have bad track records... but these are elves that became them to not have their race wiped out by a plague. not to gain power. they kept most of their morals. are generally helpful and caring people who believe in personal rights. you say no 95% of them will respect that.

Oh and on a plus note its not suppressible by zones that suppress arcane or divine.

Yanisa
2015-03-23, 03:27 PM
While that is mechanically superior, it doesn't have the same awesome factor as just being on fire does. Still a good find though.

"Hot siccatite can eventually ignite objects..."

So eventually your hair and clothing will be on fire. :smallwink:

The Random NPC
2015-03-23, 06:21 PM
If hes not agaisnt a blood transfusion there is a "graft" you can get to give you 2/hp a turn.
Its in the lords of madness book.

Healing Blood: This unique graft consists of a total transfusion
of blood. The creature’s original blood supply is drained
completely and replaced with a similar fl uid that grants the
grafted creature fast healing 2.
Graft Flesh (silthilar), regenerate; Price 182,000 gp.

Also if you find a Silthilar who is in a good mood and you do a quest or two for it. They are usually pretty nice about giving out grafts as payments. Now I know aberrations have bad track records... but these are elves that became them to not have their race wiped out by a plague. not to gain power. they kept most of their morals. are generally helpful and caring people who believe in personal rights. you say no 95% of them will respect that.

Oh and on a plus note its not suppressible by zones that suppress arcane or divine.

Unfortunately, that's 3.5, and this is a Pathfinder thread.

So eventually your hair and clothing will be on fire. :smallwink:

And there's the awesome factor back again.

EDIT: Oh, and fyi, I decided to go with a mounted lance build. Now if I could just find a way to make my horse a skeleton.

Vizzerdrix
2015-03-23, 06:29 PM
EDIT: Oh, and fyi, I decided to go with a mounted lance build. Now if I could just find a way to make my horse a skeleton.

For a horse, about four months on a big ant hill should do the trick. Make sire you put a big cage over it to keep larger scavengers from taking off with the bones. :smallwink:

Jack_Simth
2015-03-23, 07:49 PM
EDIT: Oh, and fyi, I decided to go with a mounted lance build. Now if I could just find a way to make my horse a skeleton.Well, if it doesn't need to be a bonded mount, there's the Animate Dead spell - which is a 3rd level spell for Clerics, and thus valid for an oil (which makes you the effective caster). You'll need to replace it fairly often, but it's relatively inexpensive.

The Random NPC
2015-03-23, 09:13 PM
Well, if it doesn't need to be a bonded mount, there's the Animate Dead spell - which is a 3rd level spell for Clerics, and thus valid for an oil (which makes you the effective caster). You'll need to replace it fairly often, but it's relatively inexpensive.

I'll keep that in mind, but I was looking for a way to turn my animal companion into a skeletal steed.

Jack_Simth
2015-03-23, 09:22 PM
I'll keep that in mind, but I was looking for a way to turn my animal companion into a skeletal steed.Ask your DM nicely for an undead-equivalent of 3.5's Exalted Companion feat?

Mithril Leaf
2015-03-23, 09:38 PM
Well, if it doesn't need to be a bonded mount, there's the Animate Dead spell - which is a 3rd level spell for Clerics, and thus valid for an oil (which makes you the effective caster). You'll need to replace it fairly often, but it's relatively inexpensive.

Or invest in a Bone Razor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/bone-razor).

atemu1234
2015-03-24, 10:37 AM
I want to constantly be on fire, coincidentally Burn Rider can gain 1 round of rage if it takes fire damage, the regen is so I don't die by burning my self to death.

Basically, I saw this comic (http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/4p15/), thought it was neat, and then I noticed the Burn Rider ability. I'm trying to make a character based on that now.

Well, normal fire deals 1d6 per round, so a ring of fire resistance 6 would do it.

squiggit
2015-03-24, 11:30 AM
The problem is (if I remember correctly) being lit on fire does 2d6 damage, an average of 7
No, being on fire causes 1d6 damage per round (and 1d6 when you catch on fire).

Correct though that resistance doesn't work because you only gain the free round if you take damage.

Necroticplague
2015-03-24, 11:42 AM
Well, normal fire deals 1d6 per round, so a ring of fire resistance 6 would do it.

Except the Burn Rider ability requires him to take fire damage, so Resistance to fire is actually a bad thing.

The Random NPC
2015-03-24, 05:37 PM

We found a source of fire that deals 1 damage a round.

No, being on fire causes 1d6 damage per round (and 1d6 when you catch on fire).

Correct though that resistance doesn't work because you only gain the free round if you take damage.

Yeah I noticed that.