PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Warforged Paladin

White Blade
2015-03-20, 03:07 PM
So, I'm working on a Warforged Paladin and I've got some things I know about my planned build, but I'm not sure how far to go with them. I'm planning on taking every substitution level (negating my need for CHA, reducing me to a strength/con/wis dependency). I'm assuming Adamantine Body is a must? Because it seems like a must.

I'm planning on (at least) dipping Fist of Raziel, which means I'm taking Power Attack (cool) and Favored by the heavens Feat (which sucks). The major benefit is the permanent Magic Circle against Evil (+2 to saves and +2 to AC against evil creatures? Immunity to Compulsion and Charm enchantments?), though also I like the flavor pretty well - The Warforged is connected to the Archons of Shavvrath, a result of one of Merrix's experiments (attempting to replicate dreams - He has "siblings" from this experiment, each connected to a different plane.). Still, I'm not overly attached. Yet since I'm feat-starved, I'm considering just sticking it out with the Fist of Raziel - The abilities are all pretty cool and I'm not really statted for mount riding.

I don't know what to do with my mount - I'm planning on taking a Dire Wolf (DMG 204) and taking Planar substitute (Planar Handbook) if the GM lets me. This would make going back to Paladin somewhat worthwhile, as opposed to sitting out the game with Fist better.

A lot of the good options for Paladins require Charisma. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do without it? Should I drop Fist and take something else? Stick it out with Fist? Thanks.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-03-20, 03:36 PM
The Underdark Knight ACF in CC is a good substitute for the special mount especially at the higher levels, otherwise I'd go with Charging Smite in PH2 for more damage potential.

I'll generally recommend a Cloistered Cleric dip if you're going to have a lot of Paladin levels, for multiple reasons. Get the Inquisition domain with Knowledge Devotion and Law Devotion from Cloistered Cleric, and the all-important Turn Undead ability. Get the Divine Counterspell ACF in CM instead of your Paladin Turn Undead ability, which the Inquisition domain power improves. Take Practiced Spellcaster for either class, it's better for Paladin in the higher levels, and pick up the feat Divine Defiance in FCII.

Get two flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) (Insomniac and Skulker (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?258440-The-quot-Best-quot-Flaws#30) for zero drawbacks on this character) for two extra feats. Definitely get Adamantine Body, and you can pick up Power Attack and Servant of the Heavens at 1st. Get Practiced Spellcaster: Paladin at 3rd, Divine Defiance at 6th, and whatever else you want after that. Go Cloistered Cleric 1/ Paladin 6/ Fist of Raziel 1/ Paladin 12, probably with Underdark Knight. Note that the Adamantine Body feat reduces your speed, you're not slowed down by wearing armor, so you can still use the Tumble skill, and you can even trade Ride for Tumble as a class skill (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a). Consider taking the Quick trait (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#quick), if you're opposed to the slight hp loss just pick up Improved Toughness at some point.

Metahuman1
2015-03-20, 03:59 PM
I'd also consider adding a level in Crusader and/or Warblade. Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, Stone Dragon, White Raven and Devoted Spirit can all be awfully nice for a paladin to have. Maybe make an affiliation using PHB 2's rules to improve your maneuver progression (Say, Paladin levels count as straight levels in the initiator classes for maneuvers known/readied/granted as well as Initiator level. Heck under that I'd consider a level of swordsage while I was at it to free up room on the Stone dragon and Diamond Mind Fronts, then focus Crusader on Devoted Spirit and White Raven and Warblade on Iron Heart with the tiniest dip into White Raven so that White Raven Tactics is an always accessible ability for you.) and make sure you can multyclass back into Paladin afterwords.

Oh, and don't forget, Paladin of Freedom>PHB Paladin. It's awesome like that.

Eonir
2015-03-20, 04:37 PM
I second the cloistered cleric and initiator dips.

I like the Gray Guard PrC for a Warforged Paladin. They allow Paladins to be more LN than LG, making him more of an inquisitor than a holy warrior.