PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] No save, no SR, untyped damage

Thurbane
2015-03-20, 03:53 PM
Does anyone have a list of special attacks (spells and other abilities) that have no save, no SR, and do "untyped" (i.e. not the traditional energy types) damage?

Interested in what options are out there.

Lower level stuff (for a 5th or 6th level party) preferred.

Cheers - T

Troacctid
2015-03-20, 03:58 PM
Melf's Unicorn Arrow, from PHB2 if I recall.

AmberVael
2015-03-20, 04:05 PM
Swarm of Crystals? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/swarmofCrystals.htm)
I mean, slashing isn't exactly untyped, but its also not an energy type or something most enemies will have immunity to. In any case, Swarm of Crystals is one of the most reliable damaging abilities there is right out of the box. Others (like the lower level Crystal Shard, or the spell Orb of Force) at least require attack rolls, while those that don't require saves or attack rolls (Manyjaws, Maw of Force) allow for SR. Swarm of Crystals is pretty much one of the only abilities I know of that says "just take damage because I said so."

Kraken
2015-03-20, 04:06 PM
Hail of stone, in the Spell Compendium

fishyfishyfishy
2015-03-20, 04:07 PM
Love's Pain, Corrupt 3, Book of Vile Darkness.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-03-20, 04:13 PM
Orb of Force in SC, though it requires an attack roll. Force effects have very few drawbacks, and some benefits such as bypassing incorporeal miss chance and being able to strike ethereal targets.

bjoern
2015-03-20, 04:23 PM
Doom scarabs. Ph2 pg110. Untyped, no save, has SR but all that does is decide whether you get temporary HP or not. The damage is unaffected by SR.

Werephilosopher
2015-03-20, 07:42 PM
Hellfire and hellfire storm are AoEs with no attack roll, no saving throw, no spell resistance, and untyped damage. Restricted to the Diabolic domain, unfortunately.

Doom scarabs. Ph2 pg110. Untyped, no save, has SR but all that does is decide whether you get temporary HP or not. The damage is unaffected by SR.

I think that has a Will save for half damage.

Threadnaught
2015-03-20, 08:05 PM
Bite Attacks, they don't do untyped damage, but they're not shrugged off by any Damage Reduction that can be overcome by a damage type. Unless you have Epic Adamantine jaws however, it can be ignored by Damage Reduction that can only be overcome by a weapon's makeup and enhancement effects.

Not sure if Natural Attacks count, just throwing this one out there.

bjoern
2015-03-20, 08:14 PM
Bite Attacks, they don't do untyped damage, but they're not shrugged off by any Damage Reduction that can be overcome by a damage type. Unless you have Epic Adamantine jaws however, it can be ignored by Damage Reduction that can only be overcome by a weapon's makeup and enhancement effects.

Not sure if Natural Attacks count, just throwing this one out there.

Your saying that DR10/slashing doesn't reduce 10 damage from a bite? I don't follow....

Troacctid
2015-03-20, 08:20 PM
Your saying that DR10/slashing doesn't reduce 10 damage from a bite? I don't follow....

That's correct. DR/slashing is overcome by slashing damage. Bites deal slashing (and piercing, and bludgeoning) damage, so they get past it.

bjoern
2015-03-20, 08:23 PM
That's correct. DR/slashing is overcome by slashing damage. Bites deal slashing (and piercing, and bludgeoning) damage, so they get past it.
Cool. Didn't know that. Is that in the PH somewhere. Sounds like a pretty basic rule even though I never knew it.

Thoa
2015-03-21, 06:08 AM
The fact that a bite deals these types of damage is in the Monster Manual. Along with all other types of natural attacks.

Sliver
2015-03-21, 06:30 AM
Cool. Didn't know that. Is that in the PH somewhere. Sounds like a pretty basic rule even though I never knew it.

Well, it depends on what exactly you didn't know...

The entry indicates the amount of damage ignored (usually 5 to 15 points) and the type of weapon that negates the ability.

Bite
The creature attacks with its mouth, dealing piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning damage.

Both of these you can find under the Special Abilities on the SRD, or at the Glossary section of the Monster Manual.