PDA

View Full Version : DM Help My Goblin swamp pirates need help!

Brendanicus
2015-03-20, 04:14 PM
So I need help with an encounter for a six-person party of level 5 characters. It's supposed to be just challenging enough to make them think and keep things going for more than 5 rounds.

The Set-Up:

This part I think I've got down, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Players will be riding down a river, deep in a swamp. Their method of transportation will most likely be a raft, pulled by two domesticated hippos (common in this neck of the woods).

However, Goblinoid pirates will be stationed around a section of the river, waiting to ambush travelers. They will have a staggered line of bear traps hidden in the shallow water. When a hippo steps on one and either spooks or stops moving, the Goblins move in to attack.

The Actual Encounter:

Here's where it gets tricky. I don't know how Goblins could challenge the PC's without making them needlessly over-leveled. What I pictured was two teams of Goblins:

Team A would consist of a bunch of Rogues hidden in the tops of trees that grow in the middle of the river. These trees are connected by sturdy vines, essentially acting as tightropes between them. Therefore, a Goblin stationed in one tree could make it to another tree if that's where it was needed for a raid.

Anyway, Team A's job would be to distract the PC's long enough for Team B to arrive. Some would leap onto the raft and Fight Defensively, some would remain arboreal and use bows.

Team B consists of the muscle and those not agile enough to be in Team A. The pirates would keep a canoe hidden in the reeds at the shore. In it would be the less well-trained Goblins and at least one Bugbear Fighter, acting as leadership. They would make their way to the raft while the PC's are fighting Team A, with the Bugbears firing from their canoe the whole time.

If Team B boards the raft, the Goblin peons would Aid Another to Grapple PC's, and the Bugbears would cut down anybody who looks dangerous.

How does that sound? Any changes you would make? I might give Team A a sea-shanty spewing Bard to spice things up.

DrMotives
2015-03-20, 04:23 PM
Gators. If forest goblins domesticate wolves, why not gators for swamp goblins? Have one with a ranger goblin handler in team B, it's added muscle without higher level goblins. Plus, while it may be cliched for swamp encounters, sometimes cliches are good in gaming. Maybe slap warbeast template on the thing and move the goblin's racial bonus with wolves over to it. If that seems too tough, use a monitor lizard instead.

Brendanicus
2015-03-20, 04:26 PM
Gators. If forest goblins domesticate wolves, why not gators for swamp goblins? Have one with a ranger goblin handler in team B, it's added muscle without higher level goblins. Plus, while it may be cliched for swamp encounters, sometimes cliches are good in gaming. Maybe slap warbeast template on the thing and move the goblin's racial bonus with wolves over to it. If that seems too tough, use a monitor lizard instead.
I'd say yes, but I'm planning a chase scene with Giant Alligator-mounted Lizardfolk for the same session. It might be a little too much.

Darrin
2015-03-20, 04:28 PM
Any changes you would make?

I am unable to make any further suggestions until I have your assurance that the "A" Team consists of four goblins:

1) Cigar-smoking factotum.
2) Diplomancer/Supercharmer bard.
3) Barbarian wearing 50 lbs of jewelry around his neck.
4) Rogue flying an ornithopter.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-20, 04:41 PM
I am unable to make any further suggestions until I have your assurance that the "A" Team consists of four goblins:

1) Cigar-smoking factotum.
2) Diplomancer/Supercharmer bard.
3) Barbarian wearing 50 lbs of jewelry around his neck.
4) Rogue flying an ornithopter.

Lol

Back to the OP, instead of Gators go for Large Vipers, swamps are riddled with these things. Also fun tactics, give the goblins in trees Bolas (for ranged tripping) and tanglefoot bags.

Surpriser
2015-03-20, 04:59 PM
While alligators might be out, there are a lot of funny (read: terrible) denizens of a jungle/swamp. You could have snakes, piranhas, apes, leopards, giant vermin, ... you get the idea.
Just give your squishy goblins some feral meat shields to hide behind. Having them be controlled by some beastmaster (ranger) will give perceptive PCs the chance to give them an advantage in the fight by taking out their leader.

EDIT: Bolas, tanglefoot bags and nets. Then set the raft on fire!

Brendanicus
2015-03-20, 05:16 PM
While alligators might be out, there are a lot of funny (read: terrible) denizens of a jungle/swamp. You could have snakes, piranhas, apes, leopards, giant vermin, ... you get the idea.
Just give your squishy goblins some feral meat shields to hide behind. Having them be controlled by some beastmaster (ranger) will give perceptive PCs the chance to give them an advantage in the fight by taking out their leader.

EDIT: Bolas, tanglefoot bags and nets. Then set the raft on fire!I'm definitely giving Team B goblins nets. The idea of the party being seriously hassled by level one peons amuses me. Team A will get two designated ranged combatants, one with a poisoned bow, and one with Tanglefoot Bags, plus a Bard who Inspires Courage. Small-sized Bolas aren't likely to accomplish anything.

...If the goblins set every ship they saw on fire, they'd be really bad pirates.

ShurikVch
2015-03-21, 12:36 PM
In the book A thousand blows of the sword (http://www.amazon.com/thousand-blows-sword-Tysyacha-udarov/dp/5170448813) protagonists were harassed by nine goblins who rode giant solifugae (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solifugae) and tugged compact catapult...

DrMotives
2015-03-21, 04:18 PM
In the book A thousand blows of the sword (http://www.amazon.com/thousand-blows-sword-Tysyacha-udarov/dp/5170448813) protagonists were harassed by nine goblins who rode giant solifugae (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solifugae) and tugged compact catapult...

Those things can be found in Lost Empires of Faerun, along with a few other oddball arachnids. They're very low CR, but that just means more flexibility to pump them up if need be.