PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Need a way to be a God or get an SDA.

Jormengand
2015-03-20, 04:27 PM
As written, I need a way to gain divine ranks or otherwise access the Salient Divine Ability Instant Counterspell. Any idea how I can do this?

Alternatively, any other way of counterspelling with an SLA?

Troacctid
2015-03-20, 04:44 PM
Warlocks can use spell-like abilities to dispel magic as a counterspell, if that helps. Voracious dispelling mimics dispel magic (any mode), and caster's lament mimics greater dispel magic (used as a counterspell only) against spells of 7th level or lower. The former is also available to Dragonfire Adepts.

Jormengand
2015-03-20, 04:53 PM
Warlocks can use spell-like abilities to dispel magic as a counterspell, if that helps. Voracious dispelling mimics dispel magic (any mode), and caster's lament mimics greater dispel magic (used as a counterspell only) against spells of 7th level or lower. The former is also available to Dragonfire Adepts.

Mm, sorry, I'm needing to be a truenamer (god help us all) to pull this particular trick off. I have specific SLAs, I can take improved counterspell, but I need my SLAs to be usable for counterspelling.

With a box
2015-03-20, 05:58 PM
Sorry, but it looks like killing a housecat with nuclear bomb.

And lt looks like that counterspelling is next to useless. it use a free action, and free action only can used at your turn. and at most time when somebody else cast a spell means its her turn, not yours.
so it only can be used at someone else uses immediate action spells in your turn.
(or ready it as standard action, as we always do when try do counterspell)

if you get a SDA, just take alter Reality (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#alterReality) and use any spell you want(include 9th)

Jormengand
2015-03-20, 06:16 PM
And lt looks like that counterspelling is next to useless. it use a free action, and free action only can used at your turn. and at most time when somebody else cast a spell means its her turn, not yours.
so it only can be used at someone else uses immediate action spells in your turn.
(or ready it as standard action)

I care less about the free action (the feat is also written in such a way that it allows you to take said free action even if you normally couldn't take a free action at that time, further because you can take a free action while taking other actions (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#actionTypes), you can speak - specifically possible when it's not your turn (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#speak) - and then counterspell during your speaking) and more about the fact that it lets me use my spell-likes to counter spells and you usually can't do that. I need some ability that makes SLAs work for counterspelling purposes, and that SDA is the only thing I can see that does that. If there are other suggestions I'd appreciate them.

The Alter Reality SDA requires CHA 29, and I don't want anything to do with trying to get a CHA score that high.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-03-20, 06:55 PM
The Alter Reality SDA requires CHA 29, and I don't want anything to do with trying to get a CHA score that high.
That actually seems like the easiest part of the process. 18 base + 2 race + 5 level-up +5 wish/Tomes makes for a final score of 30, no funny stuff required.

Jormengand
2015-03-20, 07:05 PM
That actually seems like the easiest part of the process. 18 base + 2 race + 5 level-up +5 wish/Tomes makes for a final score of 30, no funny stuff required.

I'd like this to come online before level 20. Also, it's meant to be a funny gimmick, not an "I win everything, forever, nyah nyah." If I wanted that, I could pun-pun, or I could Truenamer McApocalypse. Today I am Truenamer McCounterspell.

Zaq
2015-03-20, 07:36 PM
Alternatively, any other way of counterspelling with an SLA?

I don't know of anything that gets around the specific prohibition that SLAs can't be used to counterspell (Rules Compendium, pg. 118). I'm sure you're aware of that specific prohibition, which is why you're looking for a solution instead of just using a Dispel Magic-mimicking SLA to counterspell with no questions asked, but I don't know of anything that specifically counters that rule.

Jormengand
2015-03-20, 07:43 PM
I don't know of anything that gets around the specific prohibition that SLAs can't be used to counterspell (Rules Compendium, pg. 118). I'm sure you're aware of that specific prohibition, which is why you're looking for a solution instead of just using a Dispel Magic-mimicking SLA to counterspell with no questions asked, but I don't know of anything that specifically counters that rule.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to get around.