PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Factotum // Duskblade

CoolMatthew
2007-04-11, 12:36 AM
Hi first time poster long time reader.

I'm making a Factotum // Duskblade for a game I'll be playing soon and I looking for anything form general to specific advice. Most all 3.5 books are available and its level 1 gestalt, champions array (18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8). Thank you in advance.

- Matt

Matthew
2007-04-11, 01:05 PM
Welcome to the Forums CoolMatthew. What Race did you have in mind?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-11, 01:14 PM
Yeeagh, TWINS! o_O

CoolMatthew
2007-04-11, 02:15 PM
<thought bubble> hmm... Good thing i didn't call myself "CoolerMatthew" </thought bubble>

Thanks for the welcome. I was going to be human but now that I think of it I might go with grey elf for the bonus to int. With grey elf I'd qualify for Trap Sensitivity, or does the elf prerequisite only replace trapfinding and not trap sense +2? Another question: Has anyone ever used decipher script to good effcet?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-11, 02:17 PM
Not really.

Factotum's a good mesh with Duskblade. You get Int synergy and access to some spells you couldn't normally channel. Good call there.

Matthew
2007-04-11, 04:49 PM
Yeeagh, TWINS! o_O

<thought bubble> hmm... Good thing i didn't call myself "CoolerMatthew" </thought bubble>
Heh, we're multiplying, it seems. I just found out that Ikkitosen's real name is Matthew (he posted to say so, no state secrets here...)
I dunno, though, CoolMatthew is quite a statement about one's relation to other Matthews and perhaps people in general... Still, it's more of a talking point that MatthewX, Matthew1, Matthew_ or whatever else...

Not sure what you mean about Gray Elf and Trap Sensitivity, but I am not that familiar with these Base Classes anyway. Somebody else will no doubt be able to answer it.

With Champion's Array, you are already looking at a fairly good Attribute Spread; any particular reason you're not using Point Buy for this? My guess, for a High Elf:

Strength 10
Dexterity 18
Constitution 10
Intelligence 18
Wisdom 14
Charisma 8

Fax Celestis
2007-04-11, 04:59 PM
Nope, as a Gray Elf you qualify for the Trap Sensitivity feat.

CoolMatthew
2007-04-12, 12:35 AM
Ok so I'd qualify for Trap Sensitivity at level 1 if I go with elf or grey elf? Grey elf does boost my two highest priority abilities, but at a d8 hit die in gestalt I can't afford a negative con modifier and as the ultimate jack of all trades I'd like at least 12 str for carrying capacity alone. So as a grey elf I'd look like this:

Str - 12
Dex - 18
Con - 10
Int - 20
Wis - 10
Cha - 8

:/ Hard on my fort and will saves plus mithral full plate maxes out at +3 dex. Of course gloves of Dex +2 at 4,000 gp costs less then the 6k difference between mithral full plate and mithral breastplate and the latter lets me keep my full movement speed. Plus right now while I'm stuck in mundane light armor I'm better off.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-12, 10:10 AM
There are options for increasing that max dex on your armor. But, Mithral Feycraft Twilight Breastplate +1 is probably your best bet.

Behold_the_Void
2007-04-12, 10:23 AM
There are options for increasing that max dex on your armor. But, Mithral Feycraft Twilight Breastplate +1 is probably your best bet.

As a Duskblade, though, wouldn't he eventually be able to cast without worrying about Arcane Spell Failure? I mean, Mithral Breastplate is already Light Armor, he'd be able to use it without needing the Twilight or Feycraft at all.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-12, 10:26 AM
Yes, but I'm not sure about a Factotum's spell mimicry.

Person_Man
2007-04-12, 02:29 PM
ROTFL Decipher Script.

I think it's usually up there with Profession, Forgery, and Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) as the most useless Skills around.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-12, 02:37 PM
ROTFL Decipher Script.

I think it's usually up there with Profession, Forgery, and Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) as the most useless Skills around.

Actually, all three of those skills are probably better. Profession at least has some flavor value. Forgery is only opposed by Forgery, so a dedicated Forger is hard to beat. Knowledge (architecture and engineering) may have some obscure use somewhere involving avoiding a cave-in or knowing that the Ancients always hid secret switches within the flower designs of the columns or somesuch. Decipher Script, on the other hand... Is there any point at all to it?

Exarch
2007-04-12, 04:44 PM
Yes, there is a point to Decipher Script.

Well, let me clarify; my DM is a pain.
DM: "You guys find a scroll in an ancient language-"
P1: "I have Aquan!"
DM: "...Ok, not so ancient language. However, you discover that it doesn't make any sort of grammatic sense. Does anyone have decipher script?"
Party: "...Gay."

Ahem, anyway...Duskblades are nice. I have no idea what a Factotum is though...where can that be found?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-12, 04:59 PM
Yes, there is a point to Decipher Script.

Well, let me clarify; my DM is a pain.
DM: "You guys find a scroll in an ancient language-"
P1: "I have Aquan!"
DM: "...Ok, not so ancient language. However, you discover that it doesn't make any sort of grammatic sense. Does anyone have decipher script?"
Party: "...Gay."

Ahem, anyway...Duskblades are nice. I have no idea what a Factotum is though...where can that be found?

Factotum is in Dungeonscape.