PDA

View Full Version : question about spellgifted

Nicktacular
2015-03-20, 08:57 PM
if you have that trait and only have a caster level of one does that mean you cannot use spells from schools other then your chosen spellgifted one?

dextercorvia
2015-03-20, 09:06 PM
if you have that trait and only have a caster level of one does that mean you cannot use spells from schools other then your chosen spellgifted one?

It really depends on your take on minimum caster level. There are a few 1st level spells, that could theoretically be cast with a caster level of 0. Alternatively you can get a different CL boost like Practiced Spellcaster. That would offset the CL lost to Spellgifted.

Nicktacular
2015-03-20, 09:08 PM
i feel like your answer didnt really tell me anything

Flickerdart
2015-03-20, 09:10 PM
The "minimum caster level" rules are tautological, so we don't actually know what the minimum CL to cast a spell is. So unless your DM sorts that out, nothing is stopping you from casting spells with CL 0. They might just last 0 rounds or do 0 damage.

dextercorvia
2015-03-20, 09:11 PM
i feel like your answer didnt really tell me anything

Minimum Caster Level is undefined as a game term. It is stated that there is a minimum caster level for spells, but never defined. Therefore you should be able to cast some 1st level spells even if your CL is 0. Endure Elements would be an example. However, a 0 CL Grease or Magic Missile would be worthless even if your DM allows it.

I like the spellgifted trait, but recommend offsetting the downside if you are low level.

atemu1234
2015-03-20, 09:26 PM
Minimum Caster Level is undefined as a game term. It is stated that there is a minimum caster level for spells, but never defined. Therefore you should be able to cast some 1st level spells even if your CL is 0. Endure Elements would be an example. However, a 0 CL Grease or Magic Missile would be worthless even if your DM allows it.

I like the spellgifted trait, but recommend offsetting the downside if you are low level.

As DM, I always made it minimum level in a casting class to be able to cast that spell. IE, for a ninth level wizard spell, minimum CL would be 17.