PDA

View Full Version : AVB - Pacific Rim

Kalirren
2015-03-21, 03:36 AM
Private thread only for Jeriah, Kalirren, and DMs until further notice. All others can go assassinate a gnome ambassador...

"I owe you an explanation," Sascha begins. "The short of it is that there's a huge, raging, acid-drooling monster out on the river, and it's easily angered and is probably out for blood. That monster needs to be put down before it kills anyone on the river." Sascha seems at once determined and slightly abashed for having to tell the story. "The long of it is more complicated, and I ask you to bear with my account.

"I don't know when you arrived in town, or how much you know about the new beaver dams that are being built. The dams threaten to choke off traffic to the docks, and there are some huge, magically altered beavers that seem to be leading, or overseeing, or organizing the animal's effort. Yes, it's all very strange. I heard the Watch is offering bounties for beavers.

"Two days ago when I just arrived in town, I went out with the Watch on a boat to collect bounties on pelts. Our boat killed two of the really large ones, but when I was out there with them during the fight, I saw no lingering trace of magic on the beavers. This I found very strange, and I was sure the Watch didn't know the whole story.

"So yesterday, on the advice of a dryad, I went out to a logging camp that had been attacked by animals earlier, and found there a truly large beaver, larger than I'd seen in the water the day before, leading a crew of beavers to fell this huge, old oak tree that no team of normal beavers would ever fell on its own. I managed to charm the beaver into telling me what it was doing. It knew the tree was very special.

"The tree started leaking a very strange sap, and the beavers started fighting over it, the bigger one winning of course," "When the largest beaver had won, it drank up all the sap it could. Then it fell to the ground writhing,..." she shudders, "and…it molted, like some sort of insect might. It grew taller and heavier and grew spines and sharp fangs...and it's still got the mind of an animal, but I don't even know what it might become tomorrow...

"So now there's a bloodthirsty abomination in the river, and it's mad, and it's got a magical tree whose sap might be able to turn other beavers into these abominations. And you and I and the dryad down Temple Street are the only ones in the City who know."

Jeriah
2015-03-21, 08:19 PM
"I owe you an explanation," Sascha begins. "The short of it is that there's a huge, raging, acid-drooling monster out on the river, and it's easily angered and is probably out for blood. That monster needs to be put down before it kills anyone on the river." Sascha seems at once determined and slightly abashed for having to tell the story. "The long of it is more complicated, and I ask you to bear with my account."It sounds adorable. If possible, can I keep it?"

[snip]

"Sounds like you've had a hell of a time. All I've done so far is rent a room at a boarding house in the Docks, recruit some allies to help bring order to the Docks, be betrayed by said allies, and brutally murder them all and leave their corpses to rot in the sewers. Rather trivial, really, at least compared to your activities. Really, I'd love to hear more..."

She recounts her deeds in a weary tone as if incredibly bored by it, but she seems genuinely interested in hearing about your derring-do.

Rizban
2015-03-22, 04:06 PM
I can already tell that this thread is going to be amazing. :smallbiggrin:While talking, the two of you make your way to Rivergate and find yourselves looking out across the river.

Kalirren
2015-03-25, 12:33 AM
"Ha! I'd be a rich, rich woman if I could train it! Hadn't even thought of that...but no, I think some ideas are just bad." Sascha continues, reassuring her companion in modesty, "There's really not much to me. I train horses, I love the woods, I have a simple family, and I have a marriage suitor I'm fleeing (please don't tell anyone...!)" She pats the horse she leads at her side. "My teacher trained horses for the Alliance before he gave up the sword. He's no soldier anymore. And he'd be ashamed of me if he knew that I'd ever drawn his blade before I tried to find a better way.

"And I may only have spent one day in the city proper, but I'm sure what you're doing in the Docks, whatever you're doing, is important. I've heard a lot about the docks district and the other slums north of town not being safe places." There arises a ambivalent sneer on her face. "Only everyone talks about it. I stayed in the Plaza my first night because I didn't want to find a safer place all on my own.

Turning her head, she regards her new companion with an optimistic confident, and appreciative smile. "I think we've both found the tips of our own icebergs; I just needed help first. Clearly, you can handle yourself and clean up your own messes...if I'd been more decisive and stopped the beavers when I'd seen them, maybe we wouldn't need to be here together today. I'd be looking at...sick cows or something, I don't know." She didn't pull sick cows off the top of her head. "Something to make ends meet, I guess.

"So what made you decide to clear out the Docks, Fama? What's your connection to that neighborhood?"

At Rivergate

Upon reaching the portcullis and bridge, the woodswoman greets the guards present with a simple "Hi," unsure if any of them remember her from two days before. She points towards where she knows the Fortress's boathouse is, and slows her stride. "I need to see Sergeant Smithers again, or whoever's in charge of the teams going out on the river to the beaver dams today. I have to warn them about something I've seen on the river." Her raised eyebrows ask for permission, but she doesn't want to waste any time, or take no for an answer.

Jeriah
2015-03-30, 02:59 AM
"I suppose you are right. It would likely scare the local watch into attacking. They seem to have a pretty strong hatred of the beasts. Maybe they just don't like cute?" Fama just shrugs.

She shrugs again at the questions.

"I don't really care about the Docks one way or the other. People just kept saying it was a festering cesspool of filth and decay where you'd die if you so much as looked out the window after nightfall, and I couldn't resist moving in somewhere that people kept talking about so highly. Honestly, it's real homey. Quaint even. I threatened this orc into letting me stay in a boarding house for cheap. The room came furnished, but... it's not really up to my standards. I'm going to look into fixing it up a bit. If you need a place to stay, we could always split the room. I hear bad things happen to humans like you after dark though, so... I guess you'd have to get to bed early."

Rizban
2015-03-30, 02:06 PM
The two of you are quickly directed to Sergeant Smithers, who greets you warmly, giving Fama only one sidelong glance as if appraising whether or not to trust the odd woman.

Kalirren
2015-03-31, 09:48 PM
"Good morning, Sergeant. This is my new friend, Fama. We just met." Sascha laughs, realizing how funny that must sound, but keeps going.

"I have bad news for you. There's a new monster on the river. I saw it myself when I was out yesterday, not just tracked it. It's about as long as from me to...uhh..." she takes two steps, "that wall there, it's got spines on its back and it drools acid. I've seen its jaws tear through live standing trees, and I don't think our boats stand a chance."

At the inevitable prompting, Sascha's getting pretty good at telling the story, having had to do it twice before just in the past day.

*snip*

Rizban
2015-03-31, 09:51 PM
Smithers curses.

"Another one?! We had hoped that one the other day was the only one out there. It took two boats to bring it down, and we lost a man in the battle. That thing's brutal. I'm not sure you should go out with us today if there's another one of those out there."

Kalirren
2015-03-31, 11:31 PM
"It's not the first time you've seen one of these?" Sascha reacts with surprise. "Then I oughta tell ya' now, they come from the beavers. The largest beavers turn into them when they eat this strange sap. Let me show you something."

The woodswoman digs in her haversack and produces a stone-sized lump of resin wrapped in a frayed street rag. "Here it is, what's left of it anyway. It comes from a real special tree I saw a group a beavers cut down. The largest one drank this strange sap from the tree, and I watched it turn into one of those..." Lacking a name for it, she just sticks her hand out to indicate its length.

"They've got the whole tree now, they cut a way through the forest for to move the log down to the waterside. I think they're moving it to the dam, so unless we stop'em, you're gonna have more of these beasts coming your way downstream 'fore long."

Rizban
2015-04-01, 03:57 PM
He looks genuinely afraid for a moment but does a good job of covering it.

"Well, protecting the city is what the Watch is paid to do. So, we're going to go do it."

Jeriah
2015-04-01, 08:50 PM
"And you'll be able to do the job that much better with professionals like us helping out.

Stop. To answer your questions: She's a professional animal druid person, and I'm a professional hunter. Just bagged four big game animals yesterday, and I'd be glad to bag something actually dangerous today."

Kalirren
2015-04-03, 01:56 AM
Sascha nods, agreeing with her companion. "Sergeant. I know I could have done more to stop that beast even after things had become clear about where and how it came from, and I didn't. Now it's your duty to the city, but it was first mine as an initiate of a hunting goddess and a priestess of nature to bring that beast down, and I am not going to leave you hanging right now. Please don't you think about denying me this."

The woodswoman puts a hand on her newest friend's shoulder. "Fama, Smithers and I have worked together before, so he already has some idea about what I can do. I think if you let him know how you work, he'll be in the best position of all of us to see how we can all work together." Sascha gestures back to Smithers with that last sentence. "After all, I think you and your crews are the only ones who have actually taken one of these abominations before, right? I trust your leadership."

Jeriah
2015-04-03, 03:03 PM
"Your best bet with me is to just stay out of my way. I'll swim alongside your boats to provide combat support and recon."

Rizban
2015-04-03, 03:43 PM
Sargent Smithers looks at her incredulously.

"You're planning to swim in that armor? Lady, I hope you can breathe underwater, because that's going to make you sink like a millstone tied 'round your neck."

Jeriah
2015-04-03, 04:03 PM
"Yes, I intend to swim in this armor. Do not worry. It is designed for this task. And it just so happens that I can breathe underwater, thank you. I do not appreciate my intelligence or my integrity questioned. Do you want my help or not... sir?"

Fama is definitely a bit irritated but trying to not cause too much of a scene. Law and order are very important, after all.

Rizban
2015-04-03, 04:09 PM
Smithers seems torn between rebuking you and apologizing. He at last simply says, "Well, then your plan is probably for the best.

Sascha, I'd like to have you in my boat so I can take responsibility for you. I know you can handle yourself, but as the commanding officer, I have to make sure the civilians come back safe. We shove off in 15 minutes."

Jeriah
2015-04-03, 09:39 PM
Fama nods stiffy. "If you don't mind, Sir Smithers, I'm going to dive in and get accustomed to the water once more. It's been a while since I last swam."

Turning to Sascha she clasps her shoulder hard.

"Do not fret. We will put this beast down and solve this problem promptly. I will fight them so long as you do. You have my word."

She gives Sascha a crooked grin, pulled askew by the scar tissue on her cheek, then turns and walks calmly into the river until the water is above her head. For the moment, she contents herself with simply walking along the bottom, occasionally looking up to see if the boats are departing.

Kalirren
2015-04-05, 04:52 PM
OOC: I'm going to be on a train traveling across the country for the next 2-3 days. I don't anticipate having wireless, so please NPC Sascha until I get back. I have re-prepared Sascha's spell list for the day in advance on her character sheet.

"Thank you," Sascha acknowledges Fama. "I guess I'll see you out there."

After Fama has left, she asks Smithers if the Watch keeps any wands of healing for use in such emergencies.

Rizban
2015-04-05, 05:00 PM
"We don't usually keep them on hand, as we don't really have many spellcasters on the force. We don't really have time to requisition one at the moment either... We've got to get on the water quickly while the conditions are still favorable and that monstrous beaver hasn't hurt anyone."

Kalirren
2015-04-07, 09:47 PM
Disappointed, Sascha's lips wrinkle to one side like a displeased rabbit. "It was just a thought." This was a mistake she would likely never make again, were she to survive. "Just let me tie up Greywind, Sergeant, and I guess I'll be ready whenever you are."

Rizban
2015-04-07, 10:59 PM
He nods assent and heads down to the boats to see to their final preparations. By the time you have Greywind hobbled and secured, they are ready to depart.

Jeriah
2015-04-08, 06:08 PM
Fama swims up to the surface and easily moves upriver as the boats depart. She swims alongside the boat and calls out to Sascha.

"If it comes to combat, don't worry about healing me. The Mistress tends to my injuries. See to yourself. I wouldn't want that pretty face damaged."

Rizban
2015-04-08, 06:26 PM
You head out in the boats upriver, traveling a good 30 minutes before seeing the first beavers. These first few are just normal beavers busy building small dams, so your group ignores them for the moment. Smithers pulls out a small map and makes notes of their location and activity, then he touches a small crystal on his temple, apparently sending some sort of message, and then returns the map to its pouch at his belt.

Not too long after you pass the damns, Fama spots an ambush laying in wait beneath the water. Four dire beavers and a horrid monstrosity of a beaver, likely the same one Sascha saw the other day, have taken up positions on the bottom of the river and are preparing to launch themselves up at the boats... Thanks to Fama's lucky roll sharp eyes, you know what's coming and can ready yourselves before they attack. You have one full round before they try to surprise your boats.

The Watchmen seem to have changed tactics some since Sascha last ventured out with them. The man closest to the prow on each ship tosses out a heavy anchor to keep the boats relatively stationary and pointed upstream, freeing up every person to fight. They then take up defensive positions with their weapons around the edges of the boats, ready to strike the moment a beaver breaches the surface.

Jeriah
2015-04-08, 08:13 PM
Fama draws her spiked chain from its resting place around her hips. True it wasn't the most effective weapon to use underwater, but it was her only weapon on hand. Perhaps she'd have to change it out for something, a nice scourge perhaps. Ah, yes, that would make Mistress happy.

Grasping hold of the side of the boat, she readies herself for combat, making herself clearly visible and delaying until the beavers act.

"This is going to be fun."[roll0]

Kalirren
2015-04-08, 11:32 PM
"Nice spotting, Fama," acknowledges Sascha. "Watch the big one. I'll deal with the small ones."

Like a deranged woman, Sascha makes her way towards the front of Smithers' boat and takes out her cue stick. She feels its comfortable, familiar grip, the slight flex and give of the stick along its length. One long breath for her to open her wild heart, and mutter a blessing. Then, leaning over the prow, she raises the implement of her mastery high, and strikes the water's surface hard and flat.

The resulting thwack is not the sound of a willow branch. Rather, it is the sound of a beaver's tail striking water - a sound that the abomination had probably never made in the past day, and might no longer be capable of making.

Sascha was certain it wouldn't affect the big one, except maybe as a challenge. That abomination was beyond current hope. But even the large beavers were only strange, and not wrong; the priestess hoped to awaken them to the truth, or at least the doubt, that there was still a difference between the two.

And if that doubt bought the Watchmen even a few heartbeats' worth of the beavers' hesitation, then it was well worth a shot, principles aside...

[Calm animals affecting [roll0] HD of dire beavers, no two more than 30 ft. apart. Will DC 15 negates.]
[And the inevitable Balance check: [roll1]]

Rizban
2015-04-08, 11:47 PM
No balance check at the moment. The boats aren't being rocked by combat.

The spell affects 3 of the 4 dire beavers. The largest beaver isn't the same "kind", so it has no chance of being affected, regardless of its creature type.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
One of the dire beavers seems to lose interest in the boats, but the other three seem to be following the largest one among them almost instinctively.

19 - Sascha
14 - Smithers
12 - Fama
7 - Beavers
6 - 3 Watchmen on your boat

Watchmen not on your boat will have their combat resolved separately.

When I DM combat for groups of people, I ask everyone to post their actions. I'll then go back and resolve all actions in initiative order. So, if you haven't posted for a round, go ahead and post. You don't have to wait and post in order.

Kalirren
2015-04-09, 12:50 PM
Sascha reacts with dismay as she sees the figures start to move beneath the water. "...Not good...not good," Sascha evaluates. The bonds of family were strong. Nothing she could do about that now.

Kneeling on the prow, she gestures with her cue stick to several places along the waters' surface just past where the anchors had been thrown.

Trading call lightning for summon nature's ally III for [roll0] crocodiles appearing at the beginning of the next round, pending possible Concentration checks.
For my own reference, crocs have +4 Str, +4 Con from Augment Summoning - attacks at +8 to hit for bite 1d8+9 & improved grab @ grapple mod +8, or tail slap 1d12+9. 28 hp, AC 15.

Rizban
2015-04-09, 01:59 PM
Sascha begins casting her spell.

Smithers mutters something in frustration, pulls out a smallish wand, focuses over it a moment, and touches each of the people in the boat.
"I can't believe I forgot to do that... New tactics." He calls out to the other two boats to remind them to activate their water breathing.

Fama continues to delay, wishing to give her opponents proper time to prepare for battle.

The largest beaver leads the charge, targeting the boat on your left. Two of the dire beavers target your boat, and the third targets the boat to your right. The last one swims up to the surface and over to the shoreline.
Rather than attacking the boat itself, the two dire beavers break the surface on either side of the boat as if to attack the people on board. Fama gains an AoO, though the three Watchmen get their readied attacks first. The two Watchmen on the left side of the boat strike true with their thrown harpoons, but the beaver manages to avoid them sticking in its flesh. Unfortunately, the Watchman on the right gets nervous and misses with his throw.
Masterwork Harpoon – [roll0] – [roll1]+2
Beaver - [roll2]

Masterwork Harpoon – [roll3] – [roll4]+2
Beaver - [roll5]

Masterwork Harpoon – [roll6] – [roll7]+2
Beaver - [roll8]

Edit: Forgot the +2 from Favored Enemy.

Watchman - [roll9] vs DC10 to Aid
Watchman - [roll10]
Beaver - [roll11]

Watchman - [roll12]
Beaver - [roll13]

Rizban
2015-04-09, 02:05 PM
The Watchmen draw in their harpoons and throw again.
Masterwork Harpoon – [roll0] – [roll1]+2
Masterwork Harpoon – [roll2] – [roll3]+2
Masterwork Harpoon – [roll4] – [roll5]+2

One of the Watchmen on the left manages to lodge the harpoon into the dire beaver, but the other misses as the animal thrashes in the water. It looks severely wounded.
The Watchman on the right also manages to harpoon the dire beaver on his side. Things seem to be going rather well.

End of the Round

Rizban
2015-04-09, 02:08 PM
And forgot the Reflex saves...
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Jeriah
2015-04-10, 09:14 PM
Launching herself from the side of the boat, Fama charges through the water at the less injured beaver, burning a charge from her brute gauntlets for +2 damage.

Spiked Chain – [roll0] – [roll1] + [roll2]
If Crit – [roll3] – [roll4]

Edit: Well, I got a 20 on the crit. :smallannoyed:

Kalirren
2015-04-11, 11:51 PM
From her position in the central boat, Sascha tries to keep aware of all her surroundings, and tries to send the summons where they are needed. With things going well in the center, she conjures one crocodile on each flank and scans the river for the abomination.

The summons follow their instincts and try to bite and drown their targets.

[Move 1: Spell finishes casting - one summon on each side.
Summon on the left: attack [roll0] = 22to hit for [roll1] (crit: [roll]1d20+8[roll] for 2x) and [roll2] grapple
Summon on the right: attack [roll3] = 12 to hit for [roll4] (crit: [roll]1d20+8[roll] for 2x) and [roll5] grapple
]
[Move 2: Look for the big one.]

Edit: Wow, I have forgotten how to use the roller...

Rizban
2015-04-12, 12:09 AM
Sascha looks around. The gator she summoned on the right misses with its bite, but the men in that boat finish off the single dire beaver that attacked their boat and start looking around for something else to fight.
She looks over to her right just in time to see her gator fail to bite into the horrible creature. She suddenly realizes the bits of wood floating in the water are all that remains of the boat on the left. Thankfully, the Watchmen on that side are soon seen clambering up onto the shore. It seems they've all escaped the jaws of death thus far.

Smithers finishes off the the heavily wounded beaver by the central boat before calling out to the men on the shore, ordering them to start making their way back to the Fortress on foot.

Fama turns on the beast harpooned near her and rips into it viciously with her weapon, dealing a mighty blow. Though the water clouds red with blood, the beaver continues to fight.

The last dire beaver turns against Fama, thinking all the wounds it has taken are from her, not comprehending the harpoon stuck in its flesh.
Bite – [roll0] – [roll1]
Fortunately, its teeth are no match for the enchanted steel of Fama's armor.

One of the Watchmen steps across the boat and stabs at the dire beaver with his trident, joined by the man holding the trailing line of the harpoon. Their skilled maneuvering shows evidence that they trained to fight in this exact situation.
Masterwork Trident – [roll2] – [roll3]
Masterwork Trident – [roll4] – [roll5]
Working together, they pierce it through the heart. This dire beaver has met its end. Unfortunately, the second Watchman has dropped his weapon in the water...

Sascha and Fama both spot the worst of the lot coming towards them, apparently unharmed even after sinking one of the boats. Smithers, though vigilant, doesn't see it before it dives below the waves and moves in for the kill...

Kalirren
2015-04-12, 12:49 AM
Young Sascha's knees quake with the realization that the boat to her left is just gone. Seized by momentary panic, she practically shouts out an abjuration, then scrambles towards the middle of the boat, where she squats and blabbers, cue stick still in hand, leaving her summons to fend for themselves.

"...oh gods, it's under us, it's under us~!"

Resist acid on the boat. I admit, it's not really a -creature-, so if you have to consider it someone's equipment and target a person instead, then Sascha greedily and unthinkingly chooses herself.

LeftCroc (it's like #LeftShark): attack [roll0] to hit for [roll1] (crit: [roll2] for 2x) and [roll3] grapple
RightCroc: attack [roll4] to hit for [roll5] (crit: [roll6] for 2x) and [roll7] grapple.

Maybe flanking?

Jeriah
2015-04-13, 03:07 AM
And here's where I wish I'd focused more on dealing damage... I really need to get some more damage output somehow. A few levels could help with that a little bit, but...
Also, frustrated at the lack of Int 5 or greater. Can't use half of my class abilities. :smallfrown:

Fama turns her attention to the horrid beaver, charging at it through the water before it can reach the boat, swinging with all her strength. The force of her swing causes one of the fetid abscesses on her skin to rupture, spreading foul fluids in the creature's face.
Full Round: Charge, PA for 6.
Swift: Use a tumor to spray filth: Fort DC17 or sickened 1 round.
Spiked Chain – [roll3] – [roll4]
Edit: I rolled exactly half on the attack roll, max on the weapon damage, and minimum on the energy damage... That's... Wow. No other words.

Rizban
2015-04-13, 04:27 PM
I'll let that work, I suppose. Makes sense enough.Sascha casts her spell and hides in the bottom of the boat.
Meanwhile, both crocodiles manage to bite through the tough hide of the beaver (assuming flanking bonuses haven't already been added in on those rolls).[roll0]
[roll1]
It extremely deftly avoids the grapple attempts.

Smithers, not where he can strike at the beaver, readies an action to attack when it comes within range.

Fama charges the beaver through the water, striking true. The beaver thrashes a bit as the filth fills the waters.[roll2]
But it does not appear adversely affected.

Rizban
2015-04-13, 04:30 PM
Turning on Fama, the beaver fiercely bites at her, while swatting at LeftCroc with its tail.
Bite – [roll0] – [roll1]
Tail Slap – [roll2] – [roll3]
Both attacks fail to do anything.

The Watchmen, also out of reach, ready attacks against the beaver should it come within range.

The remaining boat, no longer under attack, makes its way over to the survivors on the shore to assist.

Jeriah
2015-04-13, 11:53 PM
Laughing in sheer joy at fighting an opponent who doesn't drop from a single attack, Fama swings again.
Full Attack, PA 3: Spiked Chain – [roll0] – [roll1] + [roll2]
Spiked Chain – [roll3] – [roll4] + [roll5]

Tumors: 6/7, 9 more rounds to regen.

Edit: BOOM! 55 damage.

After reading the OOC, I almost wish I had gone with some sort of slam attack now. Maybe I could get a Battlefist somehow and swap out my spiked chain for it.

Kalirren
2015-04-14, 12:45 AM
The beast's tainted blood and Fama's filth make nothing but a giant mess and a bit of a stench from above the water's skin. Seeing the watchmen dutifully and calmly reposition, Sascha finds her own courage again, and looks overboard for signs of her friend. She needed to keep track of everything, lest the crocs turn on Fama after the beast was dead, for the druid didn't trust them to know by unguided instinct that the enemy of an enemy was a friend.

Having tasted flesh, the crocs just keep going. The prey is flailing! They'll drown it soon enough...who cares if it tastes horribly bad...

LeftCroc: attack [roll0] to hit for [roll1] (crit: [roll2] for 2x) and grapple: [roll3]
RightCroc: attack [roll4] to hit for [roll5] (crit: [roll6] for 2x) and grapple: [roll7]

Flanking included this time.

Rizban
2015-04-14, 12:51 AM
LeftCroc's teeth clamp down only on water. Perhaps the murk has impeded its vision.
RightCroc, however, manages to chomp deep into flesh.

Smithers continues to wait.

Fama's first blow strikes true, piercing deep into the beaver's flesh, but her second attack, well, that one merely tears out its throat and saps the life from its body, bringing it down to exactly -10hp.

The battle is over.

You each gain 500 story xp for successfully hunting down the mutant beast without any casualties.

Kalirren
2015-04-14, 06:53 PM
[OOC: Wow...That was a lot of HP...]

"I think she won," says the druid. Sascha spends a few more suspenseful moments looking down at the churning, chaotic water, but it soon becomes clear that the crocs are rolling on a carcass, and that the metal Fama is moving just fine. Louder this time, "I think she's done it...! Yesss!"

Excited, she dismisses her spell, and sticks her hands in the water to signal her friend to surface. "Gods, you did it!" Sascha is quite obviously awed by such a display of prowess. She stands up on the boat, looks around and surveys the carnage and wreckage. They'd lost a boat, but she didn't remember blood in the water before Fama had entered the melee, and there didn't seem to be any one gravely hurt or injured. "Sergeant, we didn't lose anyone, did we?"

Rizban
2015-04-15, 05:48 AM
Funny. I was just thinking, "That was too easy. Better up the attack and hp next time around." :smalltongue:Sergeant Smithers scans the area for a moment before relaxing and replying with a grin.

"Ha! You two did good. You should come out with us every day. If we had a few more like you, we'd have these beavers put down completely in a week."

Kalirren
2015-04-15, 01:32 PM
"Really?" Sascha shakes her head in disagreement and can barely hide her disappointment with Smither's response. "My bet is that the same stuff that's turning the big ones into these horrible beasts is turning the normal, small ones big. And as long as small ones keep turning big out there, they'll move into the big river here because their small dams upstream won't feed them anymore. What we're doing is important, but I don't think we're ever gonna trap or kill this problem dead."

"It's sure worth asking Fama if she wants to keep coming out. That was definitely somethin' else." says the woodswoman. "But I don't think I'm best here, Sarge. I'm happy to help you out any way I can, but it looks like all y'all can handle yourselves just fine without me. We did things much better this time than even two days ago when we first went out together," she comments.

"What are you planning for the rest of today? Could you spare a boat to help me look deeper?" She casts a glance upstream to look for the beaver that had left the fight. "Or am I on my own again?"

Rizban
2015-04-15, 05:26 PM
He shrugs. "Who knows? Seems like we'd have a lot less trouble with you both around. Yeah, the boys we had here a few days ago were pretty green, but they're still in training. We weren't supposed to hit anything too dangerous. After your warning, I made sure we had the best of the best out today. Normally, we have to break them up to have adequate skill across all the shifts. I'm glad they were here though. We needed everyone. We'd surely have lost at least one man if not for the two of you. Your summons keeping the beasts' attention so my boys, or Fama, can mop them up is more helpful than you know. Anything to keep those teeth off my boys is appreciated.

Unfortunately, we lost one of the three boats, and we've got to go back and deal with the dams being built up closer to home. As it is, we're going to have to rig up a raft to transport these bodies back, and I don't want my men having to waste the hours needed to trudge back along the shore. There's no telling what they'll encounter..."

Kalirren
2015-04-16, 11:05 AM
Sascha nods in agreement throughout Smithers' remarks. "Yeah, a raft makes sense. That hide'll fetch a pretty penny, if we can somehow dredge it up. Sorry I don't have the right spells to make it easy. Gonna have to do it the old-fashioned way."

"As for all of this, I see what you mean and where you're comin' from. I...We..." Sascha's mouth begins to form an 'I' again, but she takes a deep breath, and instead says, "well, you know, I won't say no to you, 'cause my answer's not no. But could we talk about this later please?"

Jeriah
2015-04-16, 02:13 PM
Fama's head pops out above the water as she treads near the boat.

"That was interesting.

If you're making a raft anyway and can't spare a boat, perhaps you can make a second, smaller one as well. It would be trivial to pull it upriver with Sascha aboard."

Rizban
2015-04-18, 12:03 AM
Smithers hesitates for a moment as he looks back upriver then back at the two of you.

"I suppose we could build the raft, if... if that's what you want to do. I don't think it's a good idea, but I can't really order you not to go."

If you agree that's what you wish to do, he sees to having the men build your small raft first. They have it ready in about an hour, and you're free to go.

Kalirren
2015-04-20, 09:50 PM
OOC: Sorry for unannounced absence.

"I don't think it's worth making a raft for me," Sascha demurs. "It's not easy to navigate beaver canals on a raft anyway, and that's what I was planning on doing, to get to the heart of this. I thought that now, after we got so many big ones, we might have a window of opportunity. I only need someone to follow me, either in a boat, or just in the water, to the place where the beavers are densest, and see if there's anything strange afoot. Quickly in, quickly out. Ideally.

"Alas, I have a good intuition for the land, but I'm not a good tracker. All this is to say, Sergeant, if you have a guess as to where their biggest operation is, I'm volunteering to check it out for you." The young woman wears a meek, but adventurous smile. "I promise to run from trouble."

Rizban
2015-04-22, 04:38 AM
No worries. I had a really busy weekend and wasn't able to post. Also, Jeriah hasn't posted, so...Smithers just shrugs.
"Well, I'm not sure how you're going to get upriver. We don't have a boat to spare, and they wouldn't be any easier to maneuver anyway.

We haven't been able to find scout out a main base. They get thicker the further upriver you go until you reach the cataracts. After a few miles of rough waters, the river splits up into numerous rivulets coming down from the mountains. So... somewhere in the next 20 or so miles is probably the best place to look. Then again, maybe you could search around wherever you said you first spotted the big one... Really, I just don't know. We're busy enough just trying to keep them away from the city."

Kalirren
2015-04-22, 09:00 PM
Sascha twitches an eyebrow. "20 or so miles..." she trails off repeating, before drawing a breath in between her teeth. "Ain't quick." She looks up at the sun, tracing its likely arc west, then seems to ponder for a moment.

"For an area that big, I could probably do some scouting by air. But not on the ground, or even by water." She shrugs. "I guess I'm flying. I'll try to have some more answers for you by nightfall, Sergeant. Will you be at the Fortress then, or when do you leave for the night?"

"Fama - I'm leaving," confirms Sascha. "I wanted to say thank you for my part, for helping me clean up my mess. I owe you one. You should tell me how to find you, so that I can find you if you ever need help cleaning up the Docks, or whatever it is you're doing ever."

"Or, if you ever leave a message with the dryad who lives in Temple District, I'm sure it will reach me. Her name is Hallethil."

Jeriah
2015-04-27, 08:17 PM
Sorry! I've been having trouble with my interwebs. Should be all fixed now though.
Fama scoffs.

"You're out of your mind if you think I'm letting you head off to do this on your own. You're stuck with me, unless you're planning to just ditch me."

Kalirren
2015-04-28, 10:13 AM
A laugh finds its way to Sascha's face - she seems genuinely happy for an instant. "Okay! I didn't anticipate that, but all right, I hear you." She herself had just given Smithers essentially the very same speech not a few hours before; it was time to pass the favor along. "Thank you, Fama. A question for you. Just how fast are you in that suit?"

She grabs the rim of the transom with both hands before giving her explanation. "Twenty miles is a lot of ground to survey closely, I feel, and I think it might take me two or more days just to cover that distance by river or by land, more if we have to search up in the small streams upstream of the cataract. Of course best is for us to go through the whole distance on ground, if only just to know the landscape, and the way things look, I will need your help for that to be safe. But I haven't made the preparations to stay out of town for multiple days and nights (you remember, I left my horse at the Fortress.)

"So my plan was to do a quick survey by air, mentally mark up some sites to check up on foot, and be back in town before it gets too very dark, so that we know where we're going some other day without having to look for it on the ground. Would you be able to follow me? If so, then sure, come along; maybe we'll save the most time that way. If not, then maybe best would instead be for us to split up just for the moment, let me do the air survey while you make preparations in town for a ground expedition, and we can come back out together once I've identified all the sites that I think we should visit.

"Either way, any way, I'm glad to have you with me. It means a lot to me." Her right hand drops into her lap, leaving her left on the rim. "So what do you think? What'll we do?"

Jeriah
2015-04-28, 03:39 PM
Fama just shrugs at the question.

"If it were a straight shot, I could cover the 20 miles in just over two hours without difficulty."

She stops and counts on her fingers for a second while looking thoughtful.

"Hmm... If I push it, I should be able to cut that time in half... but I'd be pretty exhausted after.

And frankly, I'm much more at home in the water than I am on land. I'm going to do this whether you come or not. Ditch me, and it'll just become a race to see who finds the source and puts it out of commission first." She grins mischievously at Sascha.

Normal swim speed is 40 feet, but for 7 rounds out of every 10, I can increase that to 50. Using a hustle at 3x... I should be able to keep up just fine. Armor is enchanted such that it doesn't slow me down in water or hurt my swim checks. Yay magic!

Kalirren
2015-04-29, 02:34 PM
The young druid is visibly impressed. "That is fast. Don't rush, then. I'll probably need time to get good looks around, and to gain and lose height."

"Before I shapechange and can't speak anymore, I have something for you, in case it might prove useful." She pulls out a loose gray bag with a leather cord closure from her haversack. "Here's a bag of tricks. Something my teacher used to train me to deal with summons." She loosens its cord and extracts a fluffball from the opening. "If we ever need a distraction, just chuck one of these and it'll turn into an small animal of some sort when it hits the ground. There's maybe a dozen or so in there at any given time." She puts the fluffball back and hands the sack to Fama.

As you make your way upstream, I'll try be in front of you, looking for any sites that we need to investigate together. I should be able to see you underwater just fine, and I may lag sometimes to catch updrafts. Slow down if you see me lagging too much. If I ever need you to stop going up stream, I'll try to come in low in front of you and dart between the banks to get your attention. If you need to get my attention...just come out of the water?" she suggests.

Once they are agreed, Sascha finds a good place on the boat from which to turn into her familiar osprey form. An osprey's colorations are not the easiest to follow from underwater, as they hunt fish exclusively. After taking off, the bird flies a few circles and gives her distinctive call several times before moving off and heading upstream.

Rizban
2015-04-29, 04:58 PM
You head upriver only about three quarters of a mile before you encounter a dam that's under heavy construction. Water still streams through it at a more or less normal pace, but it's starting to become impeded.

After observing for a few minutes, you spot 13 normal beavers and 4 dire beavers. Should you decide to attack, the two of you should be able to wipe them out fairly easily. After all, none of them are nearly as vicious as the big guy you took down just a short time ago.

Jeriah
2015-04-30, 10:59 AM
Fama surfaces and waves to get Sascha's attention.

"You want to look around a bit and let me handle this? I can clean up here pretty quick if you want to save your magic."

Kalirren
2015-04-30, 11:18 PM
Hearing her friend call, the osprey lands and shakes its head. It seems to consider for a second, then moves to interpose itself between Fama and the dam.

Turning back to look at its engineering marvel of a friend, it finds its balance, spreads its wings wide, and maintains eye contact.

Jeriah
2015-04-30, 11:23 PM
Fama just stares for a moment, not comprehending.

"Next time we're in town, I'm buying you one of those telepathic communication crystals that Hagan sells. This nonverbal stuff is for the birds."

Kalirren
2015-05-01, 12:01 AM
The bird's eyes go a bit wide with surprise, and there's a curious-looking **** of the head to one side. It lets out a few high chirps, then teeter-totters first on one foot, then the other, looking awful silly.

Then it shakes its head once more, turns back around, and flaps its wings, taking off towards the center of the pond behind the dam.

I guess I'd like you to roll me a secret Search check. Sascha'll try to notice anything out of the ordinary, but mostly she's looking for that wrong feeling. Good luck. :smallconfused:

Rizban
2015-05-01, 12:11 AM
There isn't an overwhelming sense of wrongness in the air here, but all of the beavers seem to have some level of your discovery in them. They're all larger than the norm by several pounds, and they are behaving in some abnormal ways. Regardless though, you can see that allowing them to complete the dam would block the river almost completely for at least a few days and cause potentially serious flooding in the surrounding lowlands. Flying high, Sascha spots a small farming hamlet a mile or so to the south in the river's wider floodplain that would be sure to suffer.

Jeriah
2015-05-01, 12:33 AM
Fama won't kill the beavers if Sascha asks her not to, but she will, at the very least, try to tear apart the dam somewhat and let the Watch know about it when they get back to town.

Planning for the future. I'm thinking about trying to build an underwater base somewhere in the river close to town. Maybe we can even put in an entrance or two into the sewers on both sides of the river... or just the south side. Yeah, definitely just the south side... I wouldn't want to drain the water from the base either, because I can breathe comfortably. If we get Sascha a way to breathe underwater that's more permanent than wild shape, she'd be welcome to join. I might even have a single dry chamber setup just for her...

The real trick is going to be having it built without knowledge of the authorities, as I want to keep it secret as much as possible...

You think Sascha would have any interest in that?

Rizban
2015-05-01, 03:21 AM
That sounds doable. Expensive, but doable.

Kalirren
2015-05-01, 10:56 PM
The bird returns after a less than a minute.

It circles around once to attract attention, then alights on a place in the dam where the rock under the branches is more exposed. After making eye contact, its pecks at the rock with its beak.

Meant to reply to the OOC thread of conversation earlier. Yes, Sascha's totally the type of person who would board with someone, start fixing up the house and accidentally end up in the real estate business. I think her immediate ambitions involve the lumber trade right now, though. There's nothing bettter for an industry than unpaid labor and pre-fab equipment, both of which come in the form of huge beavers. If she can train these beavers and organize for lumber to be milled and sold in the city, she'll be a rich woman.

Jeriah, does Aldhaven have wood-pulp paper yet?

Jeriah
2015-05-06, 08:02 PM
Speaking as a former DM, yeah, there's wood pulp paper, parchment, and papyrus; however, from what I recall, all such sources are either imported or magically created. There is no paper mill in Aldhaven, and it probably wouldn't be very welcome due to the horrible odors that spread for miles and miles...
"I guess that means attack..."

Fama pulls the spiked chain from her waist and prepares to charge through the water at the nearest beaver.

Kalirren
2015-05-07, 09:02 PM
The bird shakes its head vehemently, then buries its head inside it wings. The feathery mass goes a bit indistinct, begins to grow, and before long is once again the red-haired young woman that Fama met in the Plaza. The tips of her green cloak slowly take up water as she sits on the dam.

"This isn't working at all." She seems a bit annoyed at the admission, but does her best not to show it. "I didn't want to kill all these animals, but what I was trying to say is that we have to deal with this dam. And now I see you thought so too. Hahahaha...yeah, I see a few farmhouses over that-a-way that are going to have their whole crop flooded if we don't. We may not have to deal with this right now, or even today, but if we don't, some people are going to be very unhappy that we didn't. Gods, it's just so easy to forget how huge these beavers actually are..."

"Also, while we're here, who is this Hagan, and how much does he charge for these crystals of his?"

Jeriah
2015-06-02, 12:15 AM
Whoops! I totally forgot we were doing something that didn't require DM intervention. Riz has just chastised me. :smallwink:Fama just shrugs. She's fine with whatever, really. Killing is fun, of course, but if he friend would rather she didn't, she's okay with that too. She clicks back her helmet to speak with Sascha.

"Hagan Erbauer, proprietor of Erbauer's Enchanted Devices and Dynamos. He's a bit infamous in the city. He's got great deals, but don't get too close to him. He's pretty eccentric, which says a good bit, coming from me." She grins impishly at her own self-mocking. "I also hear rumors that people who get on his bad side kind of just... disappear. It's all just rumor though, I'm sure.

These comm crystals are quite the rage around town. I heard about them from a guard who bought them for his whole family. They let you talk to anyone you know anywhere in the city like they're talking right there in front of you. They're something like ten thousand apiece, but he runs sales all the time and gives store credit for even the most junky magic items you bring in.

He does custom orders too. I had him enchant up this armor I'm wearing a bit just before we headed out here. I've been happy with it so far."

Kalirren
2015-06-02, 01:33 AM
"Oh, the shop in the center of the Plaza," Sascha confirms with a smile. "Yeah, that looked like a rather interesting place. Smelled rather strange too."

They're something like ten thousand apiece,...
"Ten thousand apiece?!" interjects Sascha. "How would any soul ever get that kind of money without being born into it?" She gives Fama a bewildered look that completely betrays how poor of an upbringing she's had. "But he seems like a very capable man. I'll definitely ask him for something. Speaking with animals is a pretty basic trick. Reversing it should be pretty simple too."

"Anyhow, how shall we proceed? I -thought- I could get myself across, but I was wrong. I can't really lead you as an animal, only support you. And now that we're out here, I hate to go back. I think we should just both cover the ground we set out to cover before, just keeping each other in sight in case something goes wrong, then compare notes when we get back to the Fortress. Sound okay?"

Jeriah
2015-06-03, 03:09 PM
She just shrugs.

"Money is plentiful in Aldhaven, if one knows where to look. Besides, he runs lots of sales and offers good value trade ins, like 70 or 80 percent market value rather than the mere fifty you get selling it to someone else. Of course, you only get store credit instead of cash... That's the catch. It's pretty reasonable, if you want what he offers.

As far as I'm concerned, you're doing the scouting. I'm just here to deal with trouble with it arises. Someone's gotta keep you safe. If you want to fly around a bit locally, I can tear down this dam... and... I'll do my best not to kill the beavers too much."

Kalirren
2015-06-07, 10:41 PM
"Eh," Sascha shrugs, giving the beavers a ambivalent glance. "Let them go for a day. We can offer that village a solution or two when we come back out this way with supplies." There follows a chuckle that blends into the water running around the dam. "Also, I'm tired of not being paid."

"We should just keep going," suggests Sascha, rising. "I'm looking for...well, I'm not sure if I know what I'm looking for, but I'll know it when I feel it. And it's not here. Let's cover some ground."

Rizban
2015-06-09, 01:14 AM
Continuing east along the river, Sascha hears a sorrowful sound, completely heart wrenching in its agony. Listening for a moment, it seems to be the wails of a weeping woman interspersed by a haunting melody. The sound seems to be drifting on the winds coming from somewhere to the northeast...

Fama cannot hear the sounds. The sounds of the river drown out anything that the surrounding forests don't muffle.

Kalirren
2015-06-10, 04:08 PM
Just to be clear, Sascha has returned to osprey form, not willing to cover a potential 20 miles on foot.

The first that Fama probably does notice is Sascha taking longer and longer jaunts away from the river, only heading north, returning periodically.

The young druid will attempt to identify the rough origin by air before leading Fama there.

[Search: initally taking 10 for a raw 12, and maybe more attempts if time allows: [roll0] [roll1] [roll2]]

Jeriah
2015-06-11, 02:33 AM
Fama, not knowing what Sascha is hearing, continues upstream.

Rizban
2015-06-11, 08:24 PM
Traveling about a mile northwest, you find that the sound is still farther distant, though it seems to be coming from somewhere along the river. The sound grows neither louder nor softer as Sascha wings back and forth through the air, making her suspect that it has some sort of unnatural origin. Fama, traveling upriver, is still unable to hear the sound. She will have to get a fair bit closer before the surrounding trees allow the sound to penetrate to where she is on the water.

Kalirren
2015-06-12, 01:41 PM
No longer so much listening with her ears as feeling the wind with her wild heart, Sascha glides forward, low and straight along the middle of the stream. Passing over Fama, she counts herself fortunate for such faithful companionship.

Heading further upstream, either they would both arrive, or Sascha would lose the sound, and stop her friend from continuing any further upstream.

Rizban
2015-06-12, 04:23 PM
Sascha finally gets a clear sound and is better able to pinpoint the location. It seems to be coming from a strange looking tree some 5 or 6 miles distant and about a quarter mile from the water's edge. She notices it easily due to the small clearing surrounding it and the cleared trail leading back towards the water.

Kalirren
2015-06-16, 12:35 AM
It required some restraint not to immediately rush to the aid of the lamenting singer, but Sascha surmised that what damage was done would not be quickly undone. The druid instead does her best to look out for Fama as her friend makes the approach by water. There might be another great beast on the loose.

Rizban
2015-06-16, 01:00 PM
Sascha spots anothr massive beast lumbering towards the water off to the south. It doesn't seem to notice either of you though, so you won't have to encounter it if you keep moving.

Kalirren
2015-06-20, 08:28 PM
[When I first re-read the post, I realized I'd completely misread it the first time!...]

The osprey circles once, and comes to a quick, if rash decision. No beast would stand between her and the answers she sought this time.

Peeping and cawing into the wind, the vengeful bird tries to ensnare this new abomination as it passes by a tree's exposed roots, whereupon she follows up with lightning strikes. The thunder in the absence of clouds or rain would be plenty to alert Fama that something was amiss.

Rizban
2015-06-20, 08:32 PM
Assuming you're doing an entangle, the beaver fails its save and is entangled by the tree roots.

Fama is three rounds of movement away, so Sascha can go ahead and do whatever she wants against the beaver.The horrid beaver, having no clue what assails it, struggles in vain against the angry tree roots.

Kalirren
2015-06-21, 10:46 AM
Full declaration of actions:

Casting Call Lightning before the surprise round, because it doesn't care.
Surprise round: Entangle
Then proceeding to roll spell attacks for Call Lightning:
Round 1:[roll0] against 11 + Reflex for full damage: [roll1]
[roll2] against 11+ Reflex to maintain entangled status. As long as Horrid#2 remains entangled, it has -2 to Reflex from -4 to Dex.
Round 2:[roll3] for full damage [roll4]
[roll5] for the entangle
Round 3:[roll6] for full damage [roll7]
[roll8] for the entangle

Sascha continues the gruesome task of beating on the poor thing until Fama shows up, growingly mindful of the potential to start a fire.

Rizban
2015-06-22, 05:42 PM
The horrid beaver succeeds on his first save for half damage but fails the second two saves, taking a total of 33 damage over the three rounds.

The beaver struggles fruitlessly against the entangling tree roots, apparently not understanding that it isn't the tree that's the real danger.

Fama's turn.

Jeriah
2015-06-24, 09:42 PM
Fama hears the tree's creaking and sees Sascha's lightning strikes and hurries in the direction she's attacking. Entering the area, she glances up at Sascha for confirmation before stepping up to attack the beaver, staying out of reach of the writing roots.

Spiked Chain – [roll0] – [roll1] + [roll2]Here's hoping that the -2 from entangled is enough to hit...

Rizban
2015-06-25, 04:52 AM
Unfortunately, Fama fails to penetrate the horrid beaver's thick hide.

Sascha's turn.

Kalirren
2015-06-26, 10:52 PM
The osprey has settled into a gruesome counterclockwise rhythm in the sky above - one circle, one caw, one bolt.

There'd be time to discuss things later.

[Call Lightning - [roll0]]

Rizban
2015-06-28, 11:09 PM
The beaver fails its save and struggles to bite at Fama but is unable to free itself from its bonds.

A handful of rounds later, the beaver is dead, and any damage it may or may not have done to Fama has been healed by her special abilities.

Kalirren
2015-06-29, 11:34 PM
The osprey alights on a tree branch to share the scene of carnage with her friend, shaking its head. The tree's roots rapidly return to their former configuration, leaving the broken carcass of a horror bleeding an unearthly color into the soil.

After a few moments, Sascha peeps intentfully, and darts between the sides of the newly cleared pathway through the trees as she makes her way up towards the clearing at the top, seeking the source of the singing and weeping.

Jeriah
2015-06-30, 11:18 AM
As much as I like combat, these things are pretty much harmless to us faced one at a time, so long as Sascha stays out of melee. Thanks for speeding along the inevitable... err... no Inevitables please...Fama stands over the corpse cleaning the gore off of her weapon when she hears Sascha's calls.

"Hey! Wait for me!"

Fama takes off running after Sascha-Bird, though she moves much slower over land than she does in the water.

Rizban
2015-06-30, 11:31 AM
As Sascha approaches within 3/4 mile of the clearing, the sound grows louder, and she must make a Will save.

Fama begins to hear the sounds Sascha has been following, but she cannot see the clearing from here. It's still about a mile away...

Kalirren
2015-06-30, 03:11 PM
Sascha leads Fama along, but doesn't stray outside of sight range, mindful of Smithers' earlier warning that those who went looking too deep into the matter never returned.

Will: [roll0] (as the magical gear is nonfunctional)

Rizban
2015-07-01, 11:59 AM
Sascha fails her save to resist the draw of the sorrowful sounds and is affected as by a crushing despair (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/crushingDespair.htm) spell and feels compelled to fly towards the clearing she can see as fast as she possibly can.

Fama, chasing after Sashca comes within range of the effect fairly quickly. [roll0] (to save time). Fama resists the sorrow's lure.

Approaching the clearing, Sascha sees a large, black, leafless tree characterized by unnatural and unsettling shapes (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/83026.jpg). It radiates gloomy twilight filled with sorrow. A group of some 10 dire beavers and 3 of the horrid beavers circle the tree trying to get closer to fell it and feast on it; however, the thick lower braches snap like whips at any beaver that draws too close to it. There are already 4 dire beaver corpses beaten into a pulp near the roots of the tree, still trapped in the writhing roots of what appears to be an entangle effect.

Kalirren
2015-07-01, 11:36 PM
The osprey initially just looks on, watching the unfolding scene of horrors that were once beavers attacking a horror that was in all likelihood once a great tree.

With un-nature against un-nature, Sascha finds that she knows not where her sympathies lie, and ends up losing some time to inaction trying to sort herself out while under magical influence. She considers that she only has one potion of Hallethil's, and so there is only one target likely worth saving, which is the tree, for there's only one of it. But assuming the potion worked on the tree before the beavers had been driven off, it would not long last. So the beavers have to be dealt with first, and only then the tree, somehow...

If it looks like one or the other side is about to gain the upper hand, Sascha will summon a lone small fire elemental, sacrificing a Bull's Strength to do it, and give it no particular orders, hoping that its presence will even things out a bit. Everything hates being on fire, right?

How long does it take Fama to get there, and what happens in the meantime?

Rizban
2015-07-02, 12:00 AM
Assuming Fama is burning her speed boosts, she makes it there in, once again, 3 rounds.

Knowledge (nature) is probably your friend at the moment...As you circle the tree, you feel an almost overwhelming urge to land on its branches. The despair that overwhelms you draws you towards wanting to die in the tree's mournful embrace. Will DC20 to resist the urge and summon your elemental.

Kalirren
2015-07-02, 03:46 PM
Press X to not die!

Will: [roll0] (+2 from Resist Nature's Lure probably applies here, -2 despair. Would she have passed the save v. despair with the +2?)
Know(nature): [roll1] (-2 despair)

Rizban
2015-07-02, 03:55 PM
Resist Nature's Lure does indeed apply; however, the save DC for that effect was 22. The +2 still leaves you 3 short of successfully saving.You identify the tree as a night twist (MM3); however, this one seems to have been significantly weakened by something. There is a faint aura of wrongness in the area but nowhere nearly as strong as the sense around the tree from which you took the earlier sample. It seems this night twist wasn't created by the same thing that warped the other trees, but it may still be affected by it. Regardless, it is still an evil, sentient plant that drives its victims to despair and waters its roots with their blood.

Sascha summons the fire elemental, but she needs to specify a location for it to appear.

Kalirren
2015-07-02, 09:55 PM
The fire elemental appears within the reach of the twisted tree, and left to its own devices, starts trying to burn everything.

At next best opportunity, Sascha-osprey tries to retreat towards Fama. The further she is away from these horrors and their strange abilities, the less likely she is to become a pre-digested pile of plant food. She did promise Smithers she'd run from trouble, after all.

Kalirren
2015-07-13, 12:54 PM
(OOC: Upon rereading the thread, it seems that my last post left too much initiative in my hands and I'm still up to post. Sorry, guys.)

Assuming that Sascha is not further compelled to take a dive:

Turning, Sascha sees her friend just about to come up on the clearing. Landing, she reassumes her human form, then takes out a very plump-looking leaf from her sack, pops it in her mouth and starts chewing it. She's not going to be able to explain the situation without language.

"Fama, there's three of the abominations up there, and they want to eat a tree that wants to eat them all. I don't know what to do and don't want either side to win. I..." She hesitates for a moment, before admitting:

"I just want to kill it all with fire. Are you with me, or should we call in reinforcements?"

Sascha will look for a tall and dead tree that can be felled onto the nighttwist, though she might make do with a living one.

Rizban
2015-07-13, 11:31 PM
The fire elemental doesn't immediately recognize the tree as a threat, so it turns to attack the nearest beaver unless it receives an order otherwise.

The night twist seems to have prevented any other plants from growing too close to it, and the beavers have cleared away the trees nearest it already. Further assessment of the situation brings Sascha to the conclusion that the night twist is indeed affected by the same thing that was affecting the other trees she came across earlier; however, it seems that where it caused the other trees to grow at an unnatural rate, it is causing the night twist to be stunted and weak.

((I don't know where Jeriah has been. I'll poke her via text in the morning if she hasn't posted.))

Rizban
2015-07-23, 01:37 PM
I don't know what happened to Jeriah. I haven't been able to get in touch with her lately, which worries me a bit, since I know her phone number and can't get her to answer texts or calls... I'll go ahead and run her as an NPC through the end of this encounter then figure out what's going on with her character after that.Fama nods agreement before she dons her helm steps out into the clearing, rips the spiked chain from her waist, and clears her throat loudly to draw the attention of all who are present. She then delays to see how they intend to react.

The beavers take note of her, but without directly hostile actions, they're more concerned with the strage tree beyond their understanding and the fire elemental who suddenly appeared from nowhere.

Kalirren
2015-07-27, 04:30 PM
Oh, my. That's not often good. I hope she's all right, obviously. I've been responding slowly in part because I'm on vacation and in part because I'm still trying to figure out Sascha's game plan here.

"All right, then. The tree burns first. Hopefully when the tree goes, there'll be only one of the big ones left." Sascha advances to stand alongside Fama and borrow a little of her friend's courage. With cue stick in hand, she directs her little fire elemental towards the tree's flailing branches.

The druid yet seems dissatisfied. There were too many unanswered questions and too many contingencies.

"I'm going to try something stupid - I have some doubts I want to settle. Stay close to me and cover me if they react poorly."

There were ways to build rapport with an animal even without any magical shortcuts. Sascha's master had taught those methods first. Here in this instance, she was out of formulaic tricks, but circumstances might yet allow the use of Hallethil's ward as the catalyst for some trust. With cue stick in hand, she finds the attention of one of the smaller, hesitating beavers, fixes its attention, and slowly approaches it, giving it time to make its decisions, hoping that their response to the tree's background compulsion being lifted will bring some clarity to the situation.

If she meets with success, Sascha will attempt to work her way up the size scale, not even ruling out the horrors she had gone out that morning to purge. She knew she had drawn an arbitrary line between horrors and beasts earlier, and she was not proud of the savagery she'd inflicted upon the lone horror by the riverbank, which is clearly affecting her. Everything deserved a chance, and everything meant truly everything, whether evil, or wild, or horrific; if each kind was its own law, then natural law demanded from Sascha to seek as much from her faith, whether it was for mere clarity, or perhaps for some awkward notion of redemption.

[Wild empathy checks @ 1d20+7-2 despair:
[roll0]
[roll1]]

Rizban
2015-08-06, 03:01 PM
I got in touch with Jeriah. She flushed her cell phone, which she used to do most of her posting. She also took a new job that keeps her very busy. I'm just glad she's okay. I'll keep DMPCing here for the time being.The fire elemental turns its attention to the tree, which ignores it for the time being. After all, an elemental can't feed its roots. The tree doesn't seem to care about the elemental, at least not until its bark begins to scorch...

Fama nods agreement and follows behind Sascha, readying actions to attack any hostile creature that moves to attack.

Kalirren
2015-08-10, 06:26 PM
Oh, thank goodness you're all right, Jeriah. Last PbP game I tried to DM, the group really exploded. One player had a cerebral hemorrhage, one got isolated by typhoon Haiyan, and one got family trouble for coming out.
One never knows over the 'net, but we do care.

[First round: move to approach, begin casting. Water Breathing -> Summon III.]

Moving closer to the beavers to attract their attention, Sascha begins intoning another summoning spell. The first elemental isn't destroyed yet, but she knows it will soon be. There's little point in her studying the beavers, but much more to be gained in letting the beavers see what she is there to do.

[Second round: finish casting for 1d3+1 fire elementals, direct spell.]

Upon Sascha finishing her spell, if she gets that far, a second wave of fire elementals will appear just inside the circle of beavers.

Up comes the cue stick again. The beavers had all seen it once before. Last time the stick went up and came down like that, the fire elemental threw itself at the tree.

Down now falls the cue stick - will the beavers catch on? The druid doesn't have that many chances to give them.

planswalker
2015-08-20, 11:22 PM
The beavers seem to mostly just ignore her in favor of taking on the tree, which in turn is ignoring you as out of reach and not as pertinent as the little embodiments of fire that are assaulting it.

The evil tree lashes out with prejudice against the first fire elemental and snuffs it out. The beavers in turn shuffle off to give the living embodiments of fire some distance and resume their attack of the tree.

I happen to have Rizban's notes for what the source of the dire beaver infestation is and can look up night twists and guess what Riz would have done to it to make it an appropriate encounter here. I can't promise to do things the way he would have, but I can get you through this encounter.

Kalirren
2015-08-22, 08:47 PM
"I'm not sure I'm getting anywhere," Sascha admits to Fama. "Maybe we have to leave soon." Having exhausted pretty much all the options she can think of, and spent her spells unwisely before, Sascha will soon be reduced to spectatorship. She's tried to give the beavers openings to advance on the tree, and help them coordinate their attack, but if she can't communicate well enough with them and they're too afraid of fire to take advantage, then there's little to do but wait and see and make sure that no Godzilla appears if the beavers prevail.

The druid persists in her efforts to exhort the beasts forward, and won't leave unless attacked.

Wild Empathy, if rerolls are possible: [roll0]

Jeriah
2015-08-23, 01:05 AM
Sorry for being AWOL like that. I'm back now and should be back for the foreseeable future. So, so sorry. :smallfrown:Fama steps up and pats Sascha on the shoulder.

"Fear not, my friend. I feel that sometimes the unyielding forces of nature give way only to greater force. The mountain stands tall against the raging wind, but water may quickly erode it. Allow me to wash over our foes."

She steps forward raises a fist to the sky and shouts at the night twist.

"You there! Foul abomination! I challenge you to mortal combat! My blood will water your roots or your flesh will feed my fires! No quarter, no recourse!"

She charges into melee with the tree, ripping the spiked chain from her waist as she does so.

Swift: Knight's Challenge on the night twist
Full: Charge that tree! (stay 10ft away, because reach)
[roll0] to try to avoid tree's AoO.

Spiked Chain – [roll1] – [roll2] + [roll3]
(-2 attack if not flanking, but with all the beavers and elementals hopping around, surely at least one will end up in a potential flanking position that Fama can take advantage of)

Note my Mage Slayer feat prevents the night twist from casting its SLAs defensively.

Fama's AC is 32 / 19 / 30, not counting the -2 from charging.

Any creature that starts its turn within Fama's reach is treated as if it is in rough terrain.

planswalker
2015-08-23, 01:48 AM
You strike a solid blow against the tree of evil. The fire elementals similarly pelt it.

The tree lashes out at you with several blows but your heavy defenses foil its attempt. Fiery elementals and now this intimidating humanoid starts attacking the tree. The beavers flee the scene for now.

Jeriah
2015-08-23, 01:56 AM
If any of the beavers were within Fama's reach before fleeing, she makes an attack of opportunity against them.Max of 3 AoOs per round:

Spiked Chain – [roll3] – [roll4] + [roll5]

Spiked Chain – [roll6] – [roll7] + [roll8]

"As the waves crash against the rocks, wearing them to nothing, so too do I tear you down, vile thing."

Fama's spiked chain swings wildly as she unleashes multiple blows against the tree.

Swift: 1 charge from Brute Gauntlets for +2 weapon damage this round.
Full: Full attack.

Spiked Chain – [roll9] – [roll10] + [roll11]
Spiked Chain – [roll12] – [roll13] + [roll14]

planswalker
2015-08-25, 04:47 AM
I'm waiting for kalirren to post

Jeriah
2015-08-25, 02:53 PM
I'm waiting for kalirren to post
No worries. I'm in no rush.

Kalirren
2015-08-26, 09:48 PM
OOC
Oh. Drove halfway across the country these past two days without posting first. Sorry.

Sascha steps clear of Fama's weapon. The second of the blessings she'd intended for herself at dawn she now intones for her new friend instead.

She will hold the spell in her hand until there is an opportune moment for her to sneak in between the intricate patterns of Fama's twirling chain to pass off the spell's energy with a kind "Good luck."

Bear's Endurance

planswalker
2015-08-26, 10:39 PM
Fama strikes at two beavers and deals them nasty though not fatal wounds as they flee.

Sascha boosts her ally's fortitude, better enabling her to withstand the oncoming blows.

Fama delivers a pair of solid blows to the tree of evil, leaving behind marks it is not likely to soon forget.

It retaliates with a trio of powerful limbs slamming into Fama. While she manages to sidestep one and her armor takes the blow for another, the third smashes through a joint in her armor dealing [roll0] damage against her.

A human dressed in light armor comes floating in from behind y'all and the way you came in. A blast of blue-green eldritch flame roars out from his hand but strikes the ground near the tree harmlessly. "Ahoy, I will lend what help I can!" The man called to the two of you.

Jeriah
2015-08-27, 11:57 AM
No worries! I'm just glad to be back. :smallsmile:Fama glares up at the interloper, though he likely can't see her face through the helmet. What the hell does he think he's doing?! He could have hit Sascha! The man remains frustratingly out of reach for the moment, but he'll be close enough to deal with more definitively soon, she's quite certain...

Grumbling to herself as a tumor bursts on her chest, cancerous flesh quickly grows to cover the damage dealt, replacing the injured skin and muscles.

She turns back and attacks the tree, the more immediate threat.

Swift: Heal [roll0].

Spiked Chain – [roll4] – [roll5] + [roll6]

Tumors: 6/7 (10)

HP: 60/72

Kalirren
2015-08-27, 05:27 PM
Sascha turns. A third person, floating? maybe even snooping and not helping? And who likely didn't know about the compulsion? "Stay close to me! It can draw you in," yells the young druid, gesturing wildly for the newcomer to join her. And for gods' sake, aim more carefully, she wanted to add. But Sascha keeps her mouth shut on that point.

Instead, she casts a cure light wounds spell and holds the charge on her hand, ready to pull either one of her acquaintances out of the tree's reach should either of them fall.

planswalker
2015-08-27, 11:34 PM
since Riz is back, I'll let him take back over this thread and just work with my other pc who stumbled into this fight.

Rizban
2015-09-01, 02:03 PM
Sorry for the delay. Don't post much on the weekends anyway and got busy building some new furniture with my wife. Just got it finished and in place last night, and it looks pretty darn good. We built it entirely from scrap wood we had and reclaimed wood and fasteners we picked up from the side of the road. I did buy the paint and one set of brackets because we didn't have quite enough to hold it securely.Sascha readies her spell.
Two of the three remaining fire elementals manage to damage the tree dealing [roll0]+[roll1] and [roll2]+[roll3] damage.

Fama's first blow strikes a knothole and fails to penetrate the wood, but her second strikes true, with the flanking bonus it seems you forgot to add.

The tree decides it's too crowded and attempts to cast a spell, provoking an AoO from Fama. [roll4]. DC 10+Damage from AoO.
If the tree succeeds, Fama, Sascha, and one of the elementals must make a Will save DC 19 or become panicked for 1 minute. On success, shaken for 1 round.

Kalirren
2015-09-01, 11:05 PM
Congrats on the new furniture! I'm a big fan of reclaimed wood as well, but I'm too in love with IKEA design to really use the material. I'm such a traitor to my values...

Sascha takes no action; her spell remains readied.

Will save, if necessary, but probably not: [roll0] +2 -2

Jeriah
2015-09-01, 11:40 PM
Oops, yeah, I did forget the flanking there.AoO: Spiked Chain – [roll0] – [roll1] + [roll2]

[roll3], using my 1/day feat for +2. NM, not necessary.

If Fama can act, she full attacks again.
Spiked Chain – [roll7] – [roll8] + [roll9]

"Drip. Drip. Drip. As the water falls, so too does your life blood. Life sap."

Jeriah
2015-09-01, 11:47 PM
Forgot: Swift Action: Heal [roll0], using another tumor.

Tumors: 5/7 (9;10)

That brings Fama back up to full health.

Rizban
2015-09-01, 11:52 PM
Fama's attack of opportunity strikes true, and the tree's magic fizzles.

"I know, it tried to draw me in! Stay close to it if you like, I will stay as far away as possible until its dead!" the flying man yelled.

He adjusted his position in the air to shift his angle and make it less likely to hit anyone attacking the tree, then took aim again, carefully.

This time, his energy blast hits squarely on the tree, causing its already withered form to dry and crack.

Sascha continues to hold her spell. Only one of the elementals hits this time. [roll0]+[roll1]

Fama tears brutally into the tree with her strikes. If only they were doing more damage to the hardwood, this battle would already be over!

The tree flails wildly at Fama, doing its best to bring her down, but only one of its heavy branches manages to do more than clang uselessly off of her armor.
Slam - [roll2] - [roll3]
Slam - [roll4] - [roll5]
Slam - [roll6] - [roll7]

Jeriah
2015-09-02, 04:26 PM
Fama's cancerous flesh continues to bubble and ooze, healing her with its grotesquerie. Swift: Heal [roll0].

"Worry not, for this foul plant cannot withstand the rising tide. It shall be swept away in the pounding torrent!"

Rizban
2015-09-02, 10:49 PM
Kalirren, I think we're waiting on you. I wouldn't nudge you, except you've made a few posts in other AVB threads.

Kalirren
2015-09-03, 12:08 PM
Right you are. Thank you.

Sascha does her best to direct the remaining elementals to the cracks that Fama's chain is making in the tree's bark to prevent its toxic sap from leaking into the soil.

Rizban
2015-09-03, 08:29 PM
The flying man continues to launch bolts of deadly energy at the tree, dealing another direct hit.

Sascha continues to hold her spell as she directs the elementals. Unfortunately, all of them miss.

Fama continues to strike the tree, but only one of the two attacks hits.

The tree, becoming desperate, attempts another spell, provoking another AoO. [roll0].
If it succeeds, DC19 Will and Fort saves from Fama.

Jeriah
2015-09-04, 09:16 PM
AoO: Spiked Chain – [roll0] – [roll1] + [roll2]
Fama's AoO breaks the tree's concentration!

[roll3] [roll4]

Assuming she's not dead.

Full Attack:
Spiked Chain – [roll5] – [roll6] + [roll7]
Spiked Chain – [roll8] – [roll9] + [roll10]

Swift: Heal [roll11].
Tumors: 4/7 (8;9;10)

Edit: That healing puts Fama back at full health. 72/72.

Kalirren
2015-09-05, 10:15 AM
Cognizant that she's not being of much help, Sascha laments having used up her spells so hastily. One good lightning strike would have done it. Just one good bolt from the sky, and she could have exploded the whole trunk.

Instead, Fama was having to do it the hard and dangerous way. Sascha was more certain than ever that there was more under Fama's clockwork than the usual frail flesh of a being.

Sascha directs her elementals to focus their fire upon a single point of attack. She doesn't have the skill to tell them to merge physically, but maybe they'll make more progress together than separately.

1 fire elemental aided by 2 others and flanking: [roll0] to hit for [roll1] bludgeoning and [roll2] fire and Burn (1d4 for 1d4 rounds) Reflex DC 13. This might be their last round.

Edit: Ha. And that is a miserable failure.

Rizban
2015-09-06, 09:31 PM
Pew pew! The flying man continues to whittle away at the tree.

Sascha, having not cast anything else, continues to hold her spell as she directs the elementals. Unfortunately, despite their best efforts, the one they choose to support is the one who has never been able to hit. Indeed, were he not made of fire, he'd probably have already burned himself to death...

Fama continues to strike the tree, tearing great hunks from its trunk.

The leafless tree looks even closer to dead than it did when uninjured. Indeed, it seems you are on the verge of someone needing to shout "timber!"
In a last ditch attempt to save itself, the tree uproots itself and moves 10 feet away, provoking an AoO for movement.

Assuming it survives, it attempts to cast the same spell again, requiring DC19 Will and Fort saves from Fama.

Kalirren
2015-09-07, 12:46 AM
"Argh!" Sascha yanks at her ponytail in frustration as the elementals vanish after their pathetic performance. She resolves to learn some basic commands in the elemental languages just to make better use of them - if she survives.

Out of ideas, she begins summoning a dire beaver (trading in her last 2nd-level spell, a Barkskin) to do it. She'll go for the biggest single beaver she can summon with that energy. The new energies dissipate the cure spell in her hands, which went unused for so long, preempted by Fama's strange Lady's assistance.

Jeriah
2015-09-07, 01:16 AM
Fama swings at the tree as it leafs!

She then attempts to NOT DIE!
[roll3]
[roll4] - Using the 1/day +2 from her feat if this roll is necessary.

Assuming she lives, Fama charges towards the tree and attacks!
[roll5]

Spiked Chain – [roll6] – [roll7] + [roll8]
(lost +2 from flanking, gained +2 from charging)

Edit: Forgot to update the tumor count.
Tumors: 4/7 (7;8;9)

Don't the 3 fire elementals get AoOs before vanishing, since they won't vanish until the start of Sascha's next turn?

Rizban
2015-09-07, 01:33 AM
Fama manages to strike a telling blow against the tree as it leafs.

A horrible creature appears before Fama's very eyes! A truly horrible visage, the likes of which she has seen only in her most fevered of nightmares reaches towards her fully intent on curing her of all her ailments and diseases! The horror! Oh the absolute horror!

As the creature touches Fama, foul energies course through her, seeking to claim her life, but Fama resists the brunt of the attack as the spell dissipates. She takes only [roll0] damage.

It's phantasmal killer, though I'm sure the description gave it away.

Yes, the fire elementals should also get AoOs. I'll go ahead and roll them to keep things moving.
[roll1] - [roll2]+[roll3]
[roll4] - [roll5]+[roll6]
[roll7] - [roll8]+[roll9]
All three elementals fail to damage the retreeting plant.

Jeriah
2015-09-07, 01:46 AM
Fama quails in terror, but her wounds heal as her putrescence fights to resist the foul curatives.

Heal with tumor before charging.
Swift: Heal [roll0].
Tumors: 3/7 (7;8;9;10)

Edit: Rollv doesn't like addition, I see. 15 total healing.

Rizban
2015-09-07, 01:49 AM
The flying man catches the tree in a crack, withering its very heartwood. The tree drops from 2 hp to -11! It is dead!

Fama heals but needs not charge, and Sascha does not waste her barkskin spell.

Jeriah
2015-09-07, 01:58 AM
"May the waters carry you gently to eternal slumber."

Fama touches her forehead towards the tree in a sign of respect for a defeated foe.

She then turns to Sascha and says quietly, "I do not trust the flying man. He is as likely here to thwart our purpose as to aid it. Do not undertake any action that might reveal our grander purpose to him unless he proves trustworthy."

So... Loot? Experience? Level ups?

Rizban
2015-09-07, 03:45 AM
The flying man descends and speaks, which triggers a 3-player team up thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?439847-AVB-Up-a-Creek&p=19781867#post19781867).

Rizban
2015-09-07, 05:58 PM
Digging into the dirt a little as she searches the remains, Sascha finds the same sticky sap-like substance seeping up from the ground. If she quickly kicks dirt over the place from which it seeps up, she can prevent the flying man from easily spotting it.

Kalirren
2015-09-07, 08:27 PM
Yes, she does that. She would bury this all anyway, to avoid όbersquirrels and όberracoons in addition to όberbeavers.

Kalirren
2015-09-10, 11:31 PM
Katoerian having gone ahead, Sascha and Fama were again left to their own devices.

"Well, what do you think? He seemed pretty innocuous." In his absence, Sascha's fist has fallen from her hip, and she no longer stands in a way that fights for dominance. "I have to tell you, I didn't like what I saw at the bottom of that pit. My friend Hallethil was right. Whatever blight this is wells deep from within the earth. It was even stronger upstream, but even here it was welling up to the surface." She casts glances to and fro, suspicious of everything around her, then starts moving, trying to pick an easy path for her friend to follow.

"Gods willing, when we get to that village, whatever we do, let us seek out a holy place before we get too comfortable. We should be wary of the people, and of the water they drink. In the morning, I plan with the blessing of one of their leaders to check their well. I hope they do not need our aid, for to convince them that they do may be a hard task." The redhead druid shakes her head and sighs lightly, then opens her countenance anew to change the subject. "Speaking of gods, I pray you tell me of this 'Lady' of yours, for she seems powerful indeed."

Rizban
2015-09-10, 11:39 PM
"My lady is grace and beauty. I will gladly tell you more when the time is right. Until then, let us focus on the tasks at hand."

I'll let Jeriah tell you more. It's kind of her thing to describe.

"Speaking of the water supply, what effects do you think drinking this would have on a humanoid?"

Kalirren
2015-09-11, 12:07 AM
A shudder, then a shrug. "Safety is so much harder to show than danger. I truly don't know, and have little way of guessing. As my own powers prove, we are not that different from them beasts," Sascha notes. "We are all of flesh and bone and sinew, which I think that blight warps all the same. With time, I'm sure any barrier between us and them can be overcome...though I know not if it has some sort of form of its own, some foreign law of nature it obeys, that it finds and emulates in its warping. Like how the tree was weakened, but the animals strengthened. I just don't know. And I'd rather not find out firsthand."

Rizban
2015-09-12, 04:01 AM
BTW, you both gain 1,200 XP for progressing the plot this far, overcoming a significant foe, and discovering the southernmost edge of the actual corruption.

Kalirren
2015-09-13, 06:54 PM
Yay! Do you have an editable copy of my character sheet? I'm not sure I do anymore.

Rizban
2015-09-13, 08:58 PM
Yay! Do you have an editable copy of my character sheet? I'm not sure I do anymore.

Your old myth-weavers sheet is locked and read only, but there should be an auto-transfer copy in the new sheet system called "AutoTransfer {SameSheetName}"

Jeriah
2015-09-14, 06:22 PM
BTW, you both gain 1,200 XP for progressing the plot this far, overcoming a significant foe, and discovering the southernmost edge of the actual corruption.

Woo! Getting closer and closer to that elusive level up!

Rizban
2015-09-17, 12:03 AM
Return From Team Up

As the two of you stand around the well, a group of about 12 adults emerge and approach you, led by a clean-shaven elderly man leaning heavily on a staff. Once within about 20 feet of you, he calls out a greeting.

"Hello! What has brought you to our village?"

Glancing at the men, you see that they carry a number of farming implements but are holding them defensively, and at least two of the women you see are carrying large knitting needles.

Kalirren
2015-09-17, 10:36 AM
"Good afternoon, elder! Hello...!" says Sascha somewhat uneasily to pitchforks and scythes. What did she expect? She addresses the village elder. "My name is Sascha, and this is my friend Fama. We work with the Aldhaven City Watch. We came out of the city to check on a large beaver dam made by large, magically changed beavers that you may be aware of?" She points towards the river where the dam is. "The beasts have built a dam a ways downstream that I think will flood out some of your fields to the southeast if left unchecked. So we came here because I was concerned for the safety of your crops and your water. Will you have me explain further?"

[Diplomacy: [roll0] + all the circumstance penalities...if she gets a chance, open the spoiler.]

"We know now that the beavers grow large when they eat the sap from tainted trees. They eat this sap and grow huge, as huge as a horse, or larger. It's really a rather horrible sight. Here is the sap as a resin; you may yet see a strange glow about it." The druid offers her dried sample in her open palm to anyone who is willing to take it, in the process gauging whether or not the villagers trust her yet. "The trees themselves are tainted from tainted groundwater," she continues. "The tainted water itself also flows thick, like sap. The nearest tainted tree we saw was only a mile or two away to the east - and it was large, twisted, leafless and vile, and would draw you in with a enspelled song to consume you. Fama here and the other man who just left were the ones who cut and burned it down. If it was troubling you, it won't anymore."

"So we were concerned about the well here because it's so close to a place we know is tainted. Of course, I beg your hospitality. But with your permission, I'd also like to go down into the well to see if there are any signs of the taint."

Rizban
2015-09-27, 12:40 AM
The elder nods.

"That would explain some things... the missing children, the strange illnesses. What do you propose if you do find this 'taint'?"

Kalirren
2015-09-27, 02:11 PM
Sascha gasps quietly in instinctive sympathy at the mentions of children and the sick. "If I do find taint down there, you mean?" gesturing at the gaping well. "I'd say ward the well to magically cleanse all the drinking water. No regrets there. Besides, we don't yet know where the source is, other than somewhere deep upstream. If we can't stop the taint at a source, protecting the people and the crops and the beasts that use that water could be the best we can do. A priest might tide you over for a while until a ward could be laid. If there is a priest here, that is."

"Do you want me to look?"

Rizban
2015-09-27, 02:24 PM
He nods sagely, a playful though slightly malicious light in his eyes.

"Yes, of course, but... how much is all this warding going to cost us? Hmm?"

Jeriah
2015-09-27, 02:31 PM
Fama senses the hostility in the air and protectively leans a bit closer towards Sascha, hand firmly planted on her "belt."

Kalirren
2015-09-27, 02:59 PM
"That would be your problem, unfortunately. I can't enchant the well for you. I can't quote you a price. I have an acquaintance who might, though," she offers. "But why don't we first find out whether her help would be needed at all?"

Rizban
2015-09-27, 05:11 PM
"Ah, yes, of course. It always comes down to that. Doesn't it? We'll do the work now and give you the cost later. Oh, and it likely won't work perfectly the first time, so we'll need to sell you a service plan too. Lady, I know a scam when I hear one."

Kalirren
2015-09-28, 01:36 AM
"What?" Sascha is now obviously confused. It's not helping that she's never been great with money. "You're the one who's said anything about payment. If it were within my power, I'd do it just 'cos it's the right thing to do, if'n I could. But I can't.

"Now if it is tainted, and you're thinkin' I should take payment for it and make it my problem, that's fine too!" Sascha obliviously runs her tongue. "Write me up a title to the woodland by the river, the one crawlin' with giant beavers and tainted water. Then I'll arrange for the well to be warded, all the stuff and all the work. No risk for you. You just hand a deed to me when it's done. How's that?"

Rizban
2015-09-28, 05:53 PM
"Every time something goes wrong, some adventurer comes 'round looking to make some coin to 'fix' it. More often than not, it's those very adventurers who caused the problem in the first place, assuming there really is a problem.

So, I thank you for your warning, but I think we'll take our chances for now and hire a reputable cleric to come take a look at things if it becomes necessary.

Now, it's getting late, and I'm sure you're looking for a place to stay. You're welcome to stay here, for a price, but you'd best be gone first thing in the morning."

Kalirren
2015-09-28, 09:07 PM
"Yes, thank you," concurs Sascha. All she wanted was for him to -look-. "Better it be someone you trust than me." She couldn't help an eyeroll, but kept quite after that. Nor did she say he was wrong about the adventurers. After all, he wasn't. She thought much the same.

Despite having been thoroughly and basely offended, the young woman finds her nicest and most pleasant face to put on. "Now that that's settled," she lets out with a sigh, "Is there any one of you who might have a stable my friend and I could sleep in? A crown for your hospitality."

[Will save to suppress her disgust: [roll0] ]

Rizban
2015-09-28, 09:18 PM
The elder glances behind him, and a younger man and woman step forward.

"They can stay with us, if they'd like. We can do a bit better than a stable too, unless you prefer to sleep with the animals."

Jeriah
2015-09-28, 09:25 PM
Fama leans very close to Sascha and whispers so only she can hear.

"Do you want me to just kill them all? Everything said, long term, it'd save us and them a lot of trouble..."

Kalirren
2015-09-28, 11:49 PM
Sascha glances back towards her friend over her shoulder, and closes her eyes quite deliberately. refusing to dignify the suggestion with a verbal response. The expression is gone when she turns back to the couple. "Not really," the young redhead admits to them with a smile. Although for her, getting shoved into a stable by ungracious hosts would be like being banished to church, she didn't dare presume the same for her friend. "I'd be happy to meet them, though. Which way?"

She glances back at Fama again, beckons forth, and crosses the distance.

[Are you ready to move on? We can continue the night's and morning's interaction in this thread - indeed, I hope to - but I don't want to keep Thundercracker waiting. I'm thinking we can do Sascha & Fama and Sascha and Katoerian in parallel, and meet up at the logging camp.]

Jeriah
2015-09-29, 03:06 PM
I'm fine with skipping anything we can safely skip.

Rizban
2015-09-29, 03:43 PM
You are shown to a stable and told you can sleep up in the hay loft.

The night passes uneventfully. The next morning, the couple provide you each with a bowl of plain boiled oats.

Kalirren
2015-09-30, 11:02 AM
When Sascha and Fama are alone, the young druid asks, "Do you think I could have handled that better?"

Sascha does seems a bit disquieted as the night winds down. She indulges herself by spending time with the animals and getting to know them. Is there any sign of illness?

Sometime in there, when they're planning for the day after, she offers her concerns, explaning, "I have to go track down my horse and find Katoerian. We shouldn't be more than an hour out of town. I think you should wait for us either here or at the twisted tree. We'll meet you and we'll head straight upriver to the logging site that I was at before."

Come dawn, Sascha is glad to bless and share a meal with their hosts before leaving for town. It may delay her for a few minutes, but that's just polite.

Jeriah
2015-10-01, 08:17 PM
Fama shakes her head sadly before replying, "Perhaps, but they are fools to reject your offer. Let them learn in the way that only fools can, by suffering from their decisions.

I will await you near the river where we diverged to find the tree. It would be best if we did not enter this village again. I do not believe they will be nearly as hospitable should we approach a second time."

Kalirren
2015-10-03, 01:18 PM
Sascha sighs heavily into the wooden wall of the barn, her fingers playing idly in the straw. "I don't know, give it some time. They'll remember us in two weeks, but forget what they felt." She lets the topic slide. "I wonder who they will find to look at the problem. Wonder if they'll even know what they're looking for...ah, whatever. Their problem now. All I care about now is that they don't just go around killing the beavers to protect their fields."

Rolling over, "So now that we have some time to ourselves, please do tell me about your Lady."

Jeriah
2015-10-03, 05:39 PM
Fama considers Sascha's request for a few moments before replying.

"I am not sure you could accept my Lady. Allow me to tell you of her attributes and then dwell upon them. Consider my words carefully, and if you ask again later, I may tell you more... if I believe you are ready. Too much truth at once can do more harm than good."

She pauses to be sure you're okay with this before resuming.

"Where to begin...

My Lady is beauty. Let us begin there. She is the most beautiful of all beings, such that even the succubi and erinyes, beings whose beauty is all they possess and hold dear, feel shamed in her presence. She seeks beauty in all things and cherishes above all others those she finds worthy, those who meet her exacting standards. She brings beauty wherever her hand passes, giving gifts to those who behold her.

My Lady is the ultimate giver of gifts. Every gift she gives is meant not only for the recipient but avails itself such that the person who has it can turn and give it to others until all have received it, each not losing it when they grant it to another.

My Lady is a princess among the powerful, daughter of one of the greatest, and a queen in her own right over her own dominions. Her followers are primarily the young and vivacious, those who have the strength and tenacity and youth enough to go forth and spread her worship, for her followers are few and far between, her glory small and little known, due largely to her long humility and desire to assist others above herself. It is only relatively recently that she has become active on her own behalf and drawn true believers to her faith."

Kalirren
2015-10-03, 09:11 PM
Too much truth at once can do more harm than good.

"That's just fine. Start somewhere. Why don't you start with beauty? - that's what you said the first time." Sascha helpfully suggests.

Where to begin...

My Lady is beauty. Let us begin there. She is the most beautiful of all beings, such that even the succubi and erinyes, beings whose beauty is all they possess and hold dear, feel shamed in her presence.

"Oh, that's interesting," responds Sascha. "I don't know what the succubi are, but my master would speak sometimes of erinyes. They are the furies, right? And their beauty is the beauty of destruction? Like the sun's red gaze that whips the desert forests into flame in autumn?

She seeks beauty in all things and cherishes above all others those she finds worthy, those who meet her exacting standards. She brings beauty wherever her hand passes, giving gifts to those who behold her. My Lady is the ultimate giver of gifts. Every gift she gives is meant not only for the recipient but avails itself such that the person who has it can turn and give it to others until all have received it, each not losing it when they grant it to another.

Sascha begins nodding here. and begins lying back, letting her imagination take over.

My Lady is a princess among the powerful, daughter of one of the greatest, and a queen in her own right over her own dominions. Her followers are primarily the young and vivacious, those who have the strength and tenacity and youth enough to go forth and spread her worship, ...

Sascha inexplicably starts chuckling. "...Oh, you make it sound like a disease," she jests. Her snickers break out into laughter that she is trying so very hard to suppress. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make fun of you~!

"I'd just only recently thought of solving the city's beaver problem by giving them all a disease, and making them disperse, and now you mention a gift that people can give to others until all have received it, and the young and healthy spreading the worship..." The young woman does her level best to calm down. "...oh gods, it's just on my mind, that's all. I so dearly apologize. I must not be ready for this conversation right now. I'm sure your mysteries are nothing of the sort. After all, they give you strength and youth. You've even no need of my healing spells.

The young druid flips over on her stomach and elbows. "Now that's not by chance a gift you can pass on, is it?"

Jeriah
2015-10-03, 09:34 PM
""[COLOR="#008000"]Oh, that's interesting," responds Sascha. "I don't know what the succubi are, but my master would speak sometimes of erinyes. They are the furies, right? And their beauty is the beauty of destruction? Like the sun's red gaze that whips the desert forests into flame in autumn?"I have heard something of that sort. Succubi are demons who are obsessed with their own beauty and use it to seduce and manipulate mortals. They are largely considered to be the most beautiful of the fiends. I suppose I should have likened her more towards nymphs, though I usually speak of my Lady with those more schooled in the arcane arts so use beings with which they're most familiar."

Sascha inexplicably starts chuckling. "...Oh, you make it sound like a disease," she jests. Her snickers break out into laughter that she is trying so very hard to suppress. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make fun of you~!Fama just shrugs and continues.

"I'd just only recently thought of solving the city's beaver problem by giving them all a disease, and making them disperse, and now you mention a gift that people can give to others until all have received it, and the young and healthy spreading the worship..." The young woman does her level best to calm down. "...oh gods, it's just on my mind, that's all. I so dearly apologize. I must not be ready for this conversation right now. I'm sure your mysteries are nothing of the sort. After all, they give you strength and youth. You've even no need of my healing spells.Fama nods. "Well, that would certainly make things convenient, though I'm not sure they aren't already suffering from some form of disease brought on by the corruption. Perhaps one that is also a form of curse, like lycanthropy?"

The young druid flips over on her stomach and elbows. "Now that's not by chance a gift you can pass on, is it?"Fama smiles as pleasantly as she can.

"It is, but there are restrictions and considerations. You see, this is a blessing mixed with a curse, a sign of our total devotion. I was once as beautiful as you, and if you'll forgive my pride, perhaps even more. I sacrificed my beauty to the Lady in order to receive this gift, as must all who accept this gift.

To receive it, you must be completely devoted to my Lady, more than to any other. You then must be found worthy by the Lady herself. I can lead you there if you wish, but it would require you give her greater devotion than you give even nature itself. I would not ask that of you, Sascha."

Kalirren
2015-10-05, 10:56 PM
"Well, that would certainly make things convenient, though I'm not sure they aren't already suffering from some form of disease brought on by the corruption. Perhaps one that is also a form of curse, like lycanthropy?"

"I...I don't think so," Sascha disagrees hesitantly. "It's not just a curse. It can't be. Nothing so ...transformative could be."

... I can lead you there if you wish, but it would require you give her greater devotion than you give even nature itself. I would not ask that of you, Sascha.

Sascha inhales and nods. "I see. Thank you for understanding me. You're right; I already have my own path that I am happy to walk. It gives me plenty of challenge and purpose." She grins contentedly at her friend. "And it's not just about beauty either. I mean, sure, flaunt what you've got - not that I've got much. Such beautiful people I've seen in the city." Her eyes glaze over dreamily as she fishes for agreement. "But gosh, sometimes I wish people would stop treating me like a girl or like a lady so much, you know? It's funny how they can be at one point scared of a crocodile in the water, and then turn right around when that croc's turned back into a young woman and try to cheat a girl out of her earned money. Is that why you wear a mask?"

Jeriah
2015-10-08, 04:34 PM
"I...I don't think so," Sascha disagrees hesitantly. "It's not just a curse. It can't be. Nothing so ...transformative could be.""I am no expert on the matter, so I will defer to your wisdom."

Sascha inhales and nods. "I see. Thank you for understanding me. You're right; I already have my own path that I am happy to walk. It gives me plenty of challenge and purpose." She grins contentedly at her friend. "And it's not just about beauty either. I mean, sure, flaunt what you've got - not that I've got much. Such beautiful people I've seen in the city." Her eyes glaze over dreamily as she fishes for agreement. "But gosh, sometimes I wish people would stop treating me like a girl or like a lady so much, you know? It's funny how they can be at one point scared of a crocodile in the water, and then turn right around when that croc's turned back into a young woman and try to cheat a girl out of her earned money. Is that why you wear a mask?""I try not to judge people based solely on appearance. Judgement of worthiness is left up to my Lady, and I try to follow her guidance.

In part, that is true. I hide my true form so that others do not react so violently. They are much more likely to accept a strong warrior or strange construct than a fighting woman with a figure like mine."

Fama is quiet for a moment.

"What made you think of using disease as a weapon?"

Kalirren
2015-10-08, 10:03 PM
Fama is silent for a moment.

"I'm thinking I might take up wearing a mask of some sort," Sascha says with a smile. "What do you think? Would it suit?"

"What made you think of using disease as a weapon?"

"...Not really as a weapon," demurs the young druid, "just an option. It came from thinking about what kills beasts in the wild." Gathering up stray straw, she begins listing a few causes. "Starvation. Predators. Disease. Age. Which of these do I want to be? Not starvation; I'm not for ruining the gathered wealth of the forests just to drive out some beavers, that's utterly backwards. Predators? The Watch is already hunting them; they have that in hand. Age? No one's going to wait that long. So that left disease." An ambivalent shrug. "And I'm not sure its a good option, either. I think the small ones will suffer the most, which is not what I want. It's the large ones that are the threat.

"Besides, as my friend Hallethil said, there aren't really many forests large enough around here to feed the large ones on. So really, aside from taming the ones that can be tamed, which is what I want to do, using a disease to disperse them all was the most...well, I might call it the next kindest option, to all of them as a whole." Sascha purses her lips in a weirdly compassionate, yet apathetic wince, and blinks a few times. Then she tosses the straw over her shoulder."Better than letting them pillage the forest and dam the river for a few years, only for them to starve."

Jeriah
2015-10-12, 01:54 AM
"I'm thinking I might take up wearing a mask of some sort," Sascha says with a smile. "What do you think? Would it suit?""They're terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future."

"...Not really as a weapon," demurs the young druid, "just an option. It came from thinking about what kills beasts in the wild." Gathering up stray straw, she begins listing a few causes. "Starvation. Predators. Disease. Age. Which of these do I want to be? Not starvation; I'm not for ruining the gathered wealth of the forests just to drive out some beavers, that's utterly backwards. Predators? The Watch is already hunting them; they have that in hand. Age? No one's going to wait that long. So that left disease." An ambivalent shrug. "And I'm not sure its a good option, either. I think the small ones will suffer the most, which is not what I want. It's the large ones that are the threat.

"Besides, as my friend Hallethil said, there aren't really many forests large enough around here to feed the large ones on. So really, aside from taming the ones that can be tamed, which is what I want to do, using a disease to disperse them all was the most...well, I might call it the next kindest option, to all of them as a whole." Sascha purses her lips in a weirdly compassionate, yet apathetic wince, and blinks a few times. Then she tosses the straw over her shoulder."Better than letting them pillage the forest and dam the river for a few years, only for them to starve."Fama contemplates this as she struggles to stay awake. It is getting late after all.

"I see... That does make sense. If you wish to concoct a dis*yawn*ease to use, I'm willing to assist... You make it sound... the best method... Something they're all weak against sounds good."

Jeriah
2015-11-25, 12:40 AM
Returning from Up a Creek (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?439847-AVB-Up-a-Creek&p=20117317#post20117317) after Kate's departure.

"I do not trust him. I don't know why, but I do not. Please, wait here with Greywind and make camp. See if you can find anything of note in the surrounding areas. I intend to swim back downriver a bit and keep an eye on him. Is this acceptable to you?"

If Sascha assents, Fama clasps her gently on the shoulder.

"If there is nothing amiss, I will return first thing in the morning. Be safe, my friend."

Kalirren
2015-11-25, 01:21 PM
"I do not trust him. I don't know why, but I do not."

"I know what you mean, Fama," Sascha admits, still looking up into the sky after him. "He is charming, and he likes being seen that way. He says he's a businessman, as if that were something to be honored." Her gaze returns to earth, and she looks southwest in the direction of the dam. "You've seen what people like me think when they think they see a businessman."

"Please, wait here with Greywind and make camp. See if you can find anything of note in the surrounding areas. I intend to swim back downriver a bit and keep an eye on him. Is this acceptable to you?"

"And now everybody's leaving all of a sudden," the girl remarks, a bit put off. "Well yes, of course you're free to do what you will. You're a knight, and I'm not your lady," she reminds Fama, a bit bewildered. "I am most grateful for your company. But why stay here?...The sun's high! Are you going to follow him all the way back to town?"

Jeriah
2015-11-28, 09:35 PM
"I only intend to follow him as far as the dam. That glint in his eyes when he asked about tearing it down... I do not think he means to try to tear it down himself, but I think he just might. I intend to watch the dam to make certain it does not collapse due to his actions or to put him down like a rabid animal if he makes the attempt. I did not want to involve you in a potentially bloody affair, so I did not reveal my immediate intentions..."

Kalirren
2015-11-29, 01:41 AM
Sascha searches her memory with a quizzical look on her face. "I thought I was the one who suggested tearing it down...I really wasn't looking at him when I said that..." She shrugs. "You know, I've -been- here before. All things being equal, I'd rather go with you to the dam than stay here. I could butcher the horrid beavers, give them at least that dignity. The hides themselves would fetch a pretty penny, I'm sure. If you would allow me to accompany you for a change?"

If Fama assents, Sascha will turn Greywind and start walking back down to the dam.

Rizban
2015-11-29, 02:22 AM
With Katoerian flying and the two of you trudging back, he will be able to be there for a few hours before you can arrive.

Based on what Jeriah has told me (and other events going on ahead *cough* planswalker posting Jeriah's actions in Thundercracker's thread */cough*, Fama will agree to allow Sascha to accompany her but will insist on going on ahead alone so that she can swim at full speed, allowing Sascha to catch up as soon as she can. Once there, Fama suggests that Sascha stay hidden to the best of her ability until Katoerian has made clear his intentions.

planswalker
2015-11-29, 03:48 AM
Well, excuse me, but it looked pretty damn straightforward to me. It's not my fault that someone in a time-lagged conversation decided to tag along after we'd already set up the scene where Fama catches Katoerian in the act.

Jeriah
2015-11-30, 04:09 PM
Sascha searches her memory with a quizzical look on her face. "I thought I was the one who suggested tearing it down...I really wasn't looking at him when I said that..." She shrugs. "You know, I've -been- here before. All things being equal, I'd rather go with you to the dam than stay here. I could butcher the horrid beavers, give them at least that dignity. The hides themselves would fetch a pretty penny, I'm sure. If you would allow me to accompany you for a change?"

If Fama assents, Sascha will turn Greywind and start walking back down to the dam."That is true, but you wanted it done responsibly. I fear his has some idea about flooding out the Docks and taking advantage of it financially. After all, he is a merchant working with the Watch. I cannot say I remember clearly who has said what and when, but that discussion and then wanting to depart so suddenly after mentioning business affairs has made me very suspicious.

You may, of course, accompany me. I would greatly appreciate the support. But, please..." Fama pleads as she steps forward and takes Sascha's hands in her own. "If battle becomes inevitable... I... I could not bear to see his blood on your hands. Believe me when I say that once you've shed humanoid blood, you can never wash that stain clean."

Kalirren
2015-12-01, 11:45 AM
"I fear he has some idea about flooding out the Docks and taking advantage of it financially. After all, he is a merchant working with the Watch. I cannot say I remember clearly who has said what and when, but that discussion and then wanting to depart so suddenly after mentioning business affairs has made me very suspicious."

"Is there some history I just don't know about the Watch and the Docks? Whatever. You're from this city in a way I'm not. I trust you for now, and will follow you. Though I'll be frank with you, I don't like this at all."

"You may, of course, accompany me. I would greatly appreciate the support. But, please...If battle becomes inevitable...I... I could not bear to see his blood on your hands. Believe me when I say that once you've shed humanoid blood, you can never wash that stain clean."

"I think I already know what you mean, actually." Sascha balls up her fists, then spreads her fingers out wide, as if she won't allow her own hands to be cupped by gauntlets twice their size. The young priestess clamps on to Fama's vambraces in return, and her gaze is at once fierce, and yet full of tragic, wistful understanding. "I feel filthy," she starts. "Remember, my friend, that I feel less difference between beasts that walk on four legs and beasts that walk on two than you may. I've not shed mens' blood, but I already feel myself a murderer after this beaver business, as I suspect you're feeling yourself a murderer too, after a night of crime-fighting at the Docks? Once you start, you don't see reason to stop, is that right? The wagon just keeps on moving, and blood falls by the wayside? You take it for granted that it's something you can do, that killing people is an option, and you just look for targets? Targets, and reasons to hit them? Fama, let me see your face right now. I need to," she insists. "Tell me if I'm speaking Common or Undercommon. I...what I'm trying to say here is that I don't think you're as alone here as you make yourself to be. Not at all."

Jeriah
2015-12-02, 03:15 PM
"I know only that the Watch has abandoned the Docks and slums beyond, lacking the manpower to deal with the hostile forces that have taken root there but want to reestablish their order there. Washing the area off the map would do much towards that goal. I doubt the Watch would support such a deliberate attack, but they will certainly be grateful for the opportunity. All problems solved and all opposition swept away in a matter of minutes. What more could they ask?"

Fama sighs.

"You understand much, Sascha." Fama hesitates for a moment as she reaches up to remove her helmet, revealing her disfigurement and scarring. "I do not seek to kill people, but it is indeed... easy. Easier than it once was... I do not relish blood on my hands, but... if bloodshed is necessary, I'd rather take it on myself than to allow another to suffer with it on their hands. For me, suffering has become a way of life. A little more won't kill me while it could destroy others."

Kalirren
2015-12-04, 02:19 PM
The girl is obviously relieved to see Fama lift her casque. No scars or disfigurement could be as cold as a visor. The eyes are all that matter.

"Thank you for trusting me, Fama. You're the strongest and toughest person I've ever known. And I mean that in ways that go beyond the armour. I think you would be even stronger without the suffering." The young priestess takes a step towards her friend, shifting both their weights. "If you ever want to stop that wagon, do find me immediately. I would appreciate it myself. I don't know how much longer we'll be together, but please remember that I am open to you always. Perhaps it is not ours to forgive ourselves, but we can at least forgive each other."

Sascha pulls away, gathering herself with her cloak and looking up towards the sky. "I think you should be on your way, or you'll lose him. I'll set up camp here, but I'll be along, I promise." She pulls the hood over her head and a rope out of her bag, and gets to work.

Kalirren
2015-12-14, 08:53 PM
Katoerian's departure left the two women atop the dam, one smaller, her cloth shrouded in darkness, and one greater, her wet armour glistening in moonlight next to their great work of the night.

"So..." demurs the smaller. "What about you, my friend? Do you plan to continue watching over me, or do you want to kill him more?"

Jeriah
2015-12-15, 02:42 AM
Fama smiles at Sascha, a mischievous glint in her eye.

"I never had any desire to kill him... I just didn't want him to know that. Just because I'm good at it doesn't mean I enjoy it. I... I had thought you understood that about me."

Kalirren
2015-12-15, 03:27 AM
"...I thought that you might want to harm him because of his disregard for what you had come to know and care for. Just because we managed to find a different way here doesn't mean he doesn't still hold those views. Unless you think you've convinced him?"

Jeriah
2015-12-16, 02:58 AM
"That's reasonable and precisely what I had hoped he would believe. So long as he remains afraid, then his feet should not stray far from a proper path.

As I've said before, I don't care about one's beliefs or associations. It is only one's actions that matter. A man who desires to cook and eat children may truly be evil, but if he never follows through with an attempt, there is no crime to punish. It is beyond my station to try to judge a man's heart and soul."

Kalirren
2015-12-16, 09:34 PM
"I see." Fear, clearly, was not a tool Sascha was accustomed to using in her interactions. A slight in the moonlight betrayed her resolution to learn. "So exactly who was it that attacked you this morning? The elder's goons?" she asks.

planswalker
2015-12-16, 10:31 PM
in celebration of my birthday, have 100 xp each!

Jeriah
2015-12-17, 05:53 AM
"I see." Fear, clearly, was not a tool Sascha was accustomed to using in her interactions. A slight in the moonlight betrayed her resolution to learn. "So exactly who was it that attacked you this morning? The elder's goons?" she asks."Hmm? Oh, no. I wasn't attacked by the elder's goons. However, it quite clear that we are never welcome to go back there.
I was attacked by others, but not any who gave me their names."

Fama wipes something from her eye then dons her helmet.

"It's dark, and we've wasted a day but saved the people of the Docks. Perhaps we should get back to Greywind before too much longer."

in celebration of my birthday, have 100 xp each!Woo!

Kalirren
2015-12-17, 10:16 AM
Sascha pauses for a moment to make a deduction. "So it was someone else from the village. Oh gosh, I hope our hosts are all right. I'd hate to have brought trouble upon them." The look on Sascha's face turns a bit bashful before sliding once again into determination. "I'm just trying to piece all this together. Do you agree with Katoerian? he thinks we're being watched?"

Perhaps we should get back to Greywind before too much longer.

"Yeah, I told him I'd be back by dark, actually. He must be worrying. I didn't expect...well, I was surprised you were right, 'specially after hours of waiting. In hindsight, you were clearly right. He really wasn't being forthright with me. I really don't know why I trusted him...okay, well, I guess I do." She exhales, then suddenly slaps herself hard across her lower belly and winces from the sting. "Come on, let's get back to camp. I think we both could use some rest."

***Curse Katoerian and that Diplomacy roll of TC's. Fast-forward to tomorrow?

Jeriah
2015-12-17, 07:17 PM
Sascha pauses for a moment to make a deduction. "So it was someone else from the village. Oh gosh, I hope our hosts are all right. I'd hate to have brought trouble upon them." The look on Sascha's face turns a bit bashful before sliding once again into determination. "I'm just trying to piece all this together. Do you agree with Katoerian? he thinks we're being watched?"Fama looks quite embarrassed. "I'm no good at deception... Yes, I believe they were from the village, but I don't actually know whether they lived there or were merely passing through. When I left, I had not killed anyone who left me any other option. I regret that I was required to kill one who pursued me and attacked relentlessly without hesitation. Had I not, I believe he would have still been there hacking at me hatefully when we again met... If I have been darker than usual, it is because death has weighed heavily on my heart ever since..."

She's quiet a moment.

"Whether or not we are being watched, I do not know. I can only say that I do not believe that we are. The man is delusional on several levels."

Kalirren
2015-12-18, 12:32 PM
I regret that I was required to kill one who pursued me and attacked relentlessly without hesitation. Had I not, I believe he would have still been there hacking at me hatefully when we again met...

Sascha's jaw drops with surprise and utter perplexion. "You regret you were required to kill someone? Fama, listen to yourself," she bursts out with some mixture of alarm and honest, friendly concern. She tries to take a step towards her friend, but it turns out to be a miniscule gesture, moving her forward only a couple of inches. "How many people did you kill or hurt today, required or not? And who commanded you? I thought I'd left you alone..."

Jeriah
2015-12-19, 03:27 AM
Fama seems to get slightly irritated, but it seems to be more at herself than at Sascha. "What else was I supposed to do? Stand there and let him attack me until he got lucky?"

Kalirren
2015-12-19, 01:25 PM
"No, of course not. Wasn't he just trying to run you out of town? If you'd left, I'd have imagined he'd have stopped?"

Jeriah
2015-12-22, 06:15 PM
Fama hesitates before responding. "I wasn't attacked inside the town..."

Kalirren
2015-12-22, 10:00 PM
"...Oh." Sascha puts her hand over her heart to signal her contrition for her erroneous assumptions. "I should let you explain, then." Her moonlit face is a mask of kindness.

Jeriah
2016-01-05, 08:41 PM
"All I can say for certain is that I returned the bowls we were loaned to the couple who housed us for the night, but they were quite rude about it. Shortly after, I saw several armed men with glowing swords charge into the barn where we slept, but I was at a distance and not where I could be seen. I was attacked not long after. The only coherent thing I remember being said to me was "Adventurers should die and leave us the hell alone!" I was forced to kill that man, as he clearly had no intention of letting me leave peacefully..."

Kalirren
2016-01-06, 03:32 AM
"Armed men with glowing swords?...but that's..." Sascha begins to protest. "And you didn't tell me for a whole morning, Fama? Either we're both being followed by people who want us dead, or you're wanted by the Watch, and-" She trails off, instinctively taking a step back. "-and so am I, oh gods-"

Fama manages to catch how Sascha's fear has melted the pristine emotional mask off of the priestess's freckled face to expose her creeping horror underneath. An instant later, the girl has taken off running south across the top of the dam and into the forest.

[Double withdraw.]

Jeriah
2016-01-06, 08:31 AM
"I... wai..." Fama starts, stumbling into silence as the only person she felt she could trust turns and runs from her in terror. Dejected, she turns and wades back into the river and slowly sinks to the bottom...