PDA

View Full Version : Major creation: why it cannot create cold iron

With a box
2015-03-21, 06:52 AM
Major creation can create anything buy cold iron. Why?
Is there a reason to it?

Elderand
2015-03-21, 07:10 AM
I think it might be because cold iron is meant to be slightly anti-magic given that enchanting cold iron weapons is more expensive (AKA harder)

Zweisteine
2015-03-21, 09:10 AM
Either that, or it has some inherent magical property that major creation can't duplicate, because it doesn't do magic.

atemu1234
2015-03-21, 09:44 AM
I think it might be because cold iron is meant to be slightly anti-magic given that enchanting cold iron weapons is more expensive (AKA harder)

IE, no good in-game reason, it's a callback to the lore of how magic was harmed by iron (it's the rise of the common use of iron that's given as an excuse for the disappearance of magic in a lot of modern fantasy books).

Mystral
2015-03-21, 09:46 AM
Cold iron is basically the antithesis to the magical, completely mundane and worldly. This is also why it is harder (and pricier) to enchant.

Afgncaap5
2015-03-21, 12:58 PM
Yeah. I think elsewhere in the DMG (or some other book) the anti-magic properties of Cold Iron are mentioned as the rationale behind there being Silversheen but no Coldironsheen.

Bronk
2015-03-21, 01:35 PM
Maybe the spell can duplicate regular iron but can't specify that it came from deep in the earth or its special forging process.

Sith_Happens
2015-03-21, 02:20 PM
Polymorph Any Object similarly cannot turn anything into cold iron (you can try, but you'll get imitation cold iron that doesn't actually overcome DR/cold iron).

Bronk
2015-03-21, 03:00 PM
Polymorph Any Object similarly cannot turn anything into cold iron (you can try, but you'll get imitation cold iron that doesn't actually overcome DR/cold iron).

Interesting... it says Cold Iron has 'special properties', while gold etc. has 'intrinsic value'. Maybe it is the process that's holding it back (in the minds of the writers). It wouldn't have hurt them to come out and say why definitively though.