PDA

View Full Version : Hitting an unconscious but stable opponent

Giant2005
2015-03-21, 10:58 AM
Stable characters no longer need to make death saving throws but if they are hit again, the following rule comes into play: "The creature stops being stable, and must start making death saving throws again, if it takes any damage."

My question is, in your opinion what exactly does that mean mechanically?
Has the character already got one failed death save from that hit that unstabilized him, or does that hit merely knock him out of stability and he doesn't start accumulating failed death saves until he is hit again (Or fails a roll)? And does he start his death saves once again with a clean slate, or do any failed saves prior to being stabilized carry over?

mephnick
2015-03-21, 11:06 AM
I think the book intends that you don't rule it a failed death save.

Of course, I still use Coup De Grace rules, so...

Mellack
2015-03-21, 11:10 AM
I would say getting hit just makes you start making death saving throws again on your turn. Treat it just like a hit that had dropped the character to zero. I also would not say that any previous failed saves carry over, but instead have being stabilized cleans the slates.

Giant2005
2015-03-21, 11:17 AM
I also would not say that any previous failed saves carry over, but instead have being stabilized cleans the slates.

That is something I hadn't even considered... I'm going to edit the OP and add this issue to the question for others to weigh in on.

mephnick
2015-03-21, 12:10 PM
I believe stabilization is a clean slate on saves as well.

themaque
2015-03-21, 12:26 PM
I think stabilization re-sets it as well. If your attacker has multiple attacks for any reason, you are still very much up a creek without a paddle.

EvanescentHero
2015-03-21, 12:28 PM
I would say that stabilization resets the counter, but the rules are pretty clear that getting hit while unconscious counts as a failed save, so upon getting hit I'd give them a failure.

Slipperychicken
2015-03-21, 12:30 PM
Taking any damage while you're at zero hit points destabilizes you and counts as a failure on a death saving throw. It counts as two failures if it's a critical hit.

If you take any damage while
you have 0 hit points, you suffer a death saving throw
failure. If the damage is from a critical hit, you suffer
two failures instead. If the damage equals or exceeds
your hit point maximum, you suffer instant death.

The best way to save a creature with 0 hit points is to
heal it. If healing is unavailable, the creature can at
least be stabilized so that it isn’t killed by a failed death
saving throw.
You can u se your action to administer first aid to an
unconscious creature and attempt to stabilize it, which
requires a successful DC 10 Wisdom (Medicine) check.
A stable creature doesn’t make death saving throws,
even though it has 0 hit points, but it does remain
unconscious. The creature stops being stable, and must
start making death saving throws again, if it takes any
damage. A stable creature that isn’t healed regains
1 hit point after 1d4 hours.

Personally, I'd say the death save counter doesn't reset until you get back to 1hp or higher.

themaque
2015-03-21, 12:40 PM
Taking any damage while you're at zero hit points destabilizes you and counts as a failure on a death saving throw. It counts as two failures if it's a critical hit.
Personally, I'd say the death save counter doesn't reset until you get back to 1hp or higher.

I would say you've hit the nail on the head RAW. I may have it re-set just because.

mephnick
2015-03-21, 12:50 PM
I prefer it doesn't reset, so that's good to know.