PDA

View Full Version : Sundering

kpenguin
2007-04-11, 03:38 AM
I'm going to throw an ambush at my PCs and plan to have a fighter/rogue NPC sneak up at sunder the sorcerer's spell component pouch and another one sunder the cleric's holy symbol. Anything I should look out for? I really want wipe that cocky smile off the sorcerer's player's face.

Bag_of_Holding
2007-04-11, 03:55 AM
Rather than attacking outright (you can get slaughtered for that), try to sneak up at that sorcerer at a local tavern and use Slight of Hands to lift that spell component pouch. Not many sorcerers have much ranks in Spot, so if you have sufficient ranks in SoH, the success is guaranteed. For sundering the cleric's holy symbol, since the holy symbol is not magical in nature, send a warlock or any caster who can cast Shatter. That will just make their day.

kpenguin
2007-04-11, 03:56 AM
There will be distraction up on a ledge in the form of archers and a wizard if that helps.

Ikkitosen
2007-04-11, 04:51 AM
If your players don't have several spell component pouches and holy symbols then they deserve whatever pain you heap upon them!

Arlanthe
2007-04-11, 04:59 AM
How exactly do you sunder a spell component pouch? The holy symbol idea is kind of funny.

Rigeld2
2007-04-11, 05:44 AM
Pouch is usually on a belt or something, right?

Cut the belt, pouch falls on the ground. Or heck, slice the pouch and stuff falls out.

Bag_of_Holding
2007-04-11, 05:45 AM
If the sorcerer lets a rogue comes anywhere near him/her, he/she deserves to be denied of his/her component pouch. Haha.

Rigeld2
2007-04-11, 05:46 AM
If the sorcerer lets a rogue comes anywhere near him/her, he/she deserves to be denied of his/her component pouch. Haha.
Cause... you know... its trivial to figure out which people are random commoners and which ones have PC levels.

DaMullet
2007-04-11, 05:52 AM
Paranoia is key, Rigeld2, paranoia.

its_all_ogre
2007-04-11, 06:32 AM
if the bad guys know of the pcs (sounds like they do) the the sleight of hand a few mins before they attack would be a good idea.
be aware that the fight after the swiping should be lower than party level or you could have tpk depending on party healing reserves (potions/scrolls etc)
clerics cannot cast even clw without their symbol after all.
after this the fighter will be able to say 'you maybe harder than me overall, but remember that time....' smugly!

Roderick_BR
2007-04-11, 07:01 AM
Well, start with the idea that a sorcerer is in a tavern at all. It's hard not to run into people all the time in the middle of a city. A rogue has better chance of stealing the pouch than cutting it out in battle. And the better part is if the sorcerer just notice it later.

Douglas
2007-04-11, 07:04 AM
Actually, Cure Light Wounds (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/cureLightWounds.htm) (and the rest of the cure series) does not require a holy symbol. Only spells that have DF (for Divine Focus) in the components list require that.

Rigeld2
2007-04-11, 07:05 AM
Well, start with the idea that a sorcerer is in a tavern at all. It's hard not to run into people all the time in the middle of a city. A rogue has better chance of stealing the pouch than cutting it out in battle. And the better part is if the sorcerer just notice it later.
Doesnt matter. If you beat the DC20 SoH check, you can rob them blind in the middle of combat. Who cares if they notice by that time.

its_all_ogre
2007-04-11, 09:04 AM
Actually, Cure Light Wounds (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/cureLightWounds.htm) (and the rest of the cure series) does not require a holy symbol. Only spells that have DF (for Divine Focus) in the components list require that.
i was not aware of that...