PDA

View Full Version : Sonic vs. Mario!

Krytha
2007-04-11, 03:48 AM
As the thread title reads. Everyone has been wondering about this one for years and with the sheer number of vs. threads, there's no reason why this one shouldn't be out of the mix. Sonic's franchise has fallen under hard times while Mario remains as strong as ever with a few less-than-reputable games in between the great hits. But when it comes to mano a mano, who takes the cake?

Pronounceable
2007-04-11, 05:32 AM
Mario wins. An Italian plumber vs a blue hedgehog?

(Scene: A kitchen)
"So, this little blue ball of fur is what has been plugging the drain? Hand me the wrench Luigi!"

SPLORTCH!

(Not that Mario actually uses a wrench, but this mental image is too awesome.)

Khantalas
2007-04-11, 05:37 AM
Actually, in the movie, Mario does use a wrench.

Not that I have actually watched the movie or have read anything about it or even know it existed.

Maldraugedhen
2007-04-11, 11:01 AM
Sonic jumps on steel constructs to slash them to pieces with his spines. Mario can't crack a turtle shell with his lard butt.

Sonic wins.

Goblin Music
2007-04-11, 01:10 PM
Fire flower my friend, Fire flower.

Woot Spitum
2007-04-11, 01:22 PM
Sonic lost this battle the moment they made him talk.

Krytha
2007-04-11, 04:06 PM
Sonic Adventures was good enough for me. Mario... hmmm... it's much harder to butt-stomp a blue streak.

Da Beast
2007-04-11, 08:26 PM
Mario already won. not only that, but he almost owns Sonic now.

Dhavaer
2007-04-11, 08:35 PM
Mario can shatter pieces of rock the size of his entire body with his head. Mario wins.

averagejoe
2007-04-11, 09:04 PM
Gotta go with Mario. He had a racoon suit, guys, a racoon suit. That let him turn into a statue!!! And then he would ride around in a giant wind up shoe. And FLY, for heaven's sake. Sonic needed some wierd mutant fox to do that.

I mean, it's like I'm about to explode because of sheer awsomeness overload!!

Darkxarth
2007-04-11, 09:28 PM
Sonic is simply too fast for Mario, everyone's favorite italian plumber is just way too slow. And if we give Mario items (not including a Fire Flower and a Mushroom) then its only fair to give Sonic an edge too. Even as Super Fire Mario, he just can't defeat Sonic, that super-speed gets him every time.

Scenario 1: Mario throws a fireball at Sonic, Sonic dodges the fireball, and then proceeds to jump-homing-strike Mario into submission.

Scenario 2: Mario Jumps into the air to stomp Sonic, Sonic dodges his butt, and then proceeds to jump-homing-strike Mario into submission.

Scenario 3: Sonic gets the first move and proceeds to jump-homing-strike Mario into submission.

Setra
2007-04-11, 10:22 PM
Super Sonic

Da Beast
2007-04-11, 11:28 PM
Mario can move pretty fast when he needs to (http://youtube.com/watch?v=kwjvYK698_M), and relies heavely on wavedashes and shffls. Maybe when Brawl comes out this question will be answered once and for all.

Krytha
2007-04-11, 11:36 PM
The silent majority seem to favour sonic at this current point in time.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-12, 12:30 AM
Actually, in the movie, Mario does use a wrench.

Not that I have actually watched the movie or have read anything about it or even know it existed.

I thought it was Luigi who used the wrench.

Mario can shatter pieces of rock the size of his entire body with his head. Mario wins.

Actually, he's holding up his fist as he jumps.

Granted, this means he can shatter rocks the size of his entire body with his fist, without actually performing any sort of punch.

Still, Sonic wins by virtue of super-speed. Mario has never demonstrated any ability to counteract that, except for the Super Star, which is only temporary.

Alex Kidd
2007-04-12, 04:49 AM
Well to counter super speed Mario does get time freezing abilities several times.

Super Mario Bros 2- Stopwatch pickup

Paper Mario 2 - One of the Star powers is time stop.

I think there's more.

Oh and that quote from the Link vs Sephy thread, with the invincibility star Mario literally forward flips suns to death, that's like Goku/Superman/Hulk with PMS power level. Then again I can't offer much about Sonic's abilities, stopped playing after Sonic and Knuckles (well except Rush).

kawaiikub225
2007-04-12, 09:01 AM
yay sonic rules!!

Grey Paladin
2007-04-12, 02:39 PM
Both are aweomse, but mario would win by makeing sonic go all "WTF!?" and die from shock when he starts sprinkling water on him using FLUDD.

Krytha
2007-04-12, 02:54 PM
I didnt realize Sonic was allergic to water (although him dying without a bubble made me annoyed over and over again...)

Strangely enough, the poll colours are opposite for the respective candidates.

Maldraugedhen
2007-04-12, 06:54 PM
For the purpose of this fight, I would assign the abilities to each character found in the games of their prime: Sonic The Hedgehog 3 / Sonic and Knuckles (as 1 unit) and Sonic 2, versus Super Mario Brothers 3 and Super Mario World. The fight would, of course, take place in a 2-dimensional arena, probably layered so as not to completely screw Mario over, and would have both rings and coins scattered throughout along with item boxes for both characters. The blocks would be Mario-destructible. Neither party could use items for the opposite party.

Sonic's Abilities:
Spindash, damaging jump (from any angle), flash shield (StH3), crouch.

Mario's Abilities:
Jump, Screw Jump (or whatever it was called), crouch.

Sonic's Items:
Rings, Invincibility Box, Electric Shield, Fire Shield, Water Shield, Green Shield, Ring Boxes.

Mario's Items:
Fire Flower, Size Mushroom, Racoon Tail, Tanooki Suit, Frog Suit, Hammer Bros. Suit, Cape, Star, Coins.

Neither party gets the P-Wing, Chaos Emeralds, permanent invincibility, or support characters (no Tails for Sonic, no Yoshi for Mario).

With this kind of setup, I think Sonic has the advantage. Mario may own the sky, but when he has to land--which he does with ANY of his items--Sonic will be able to flank and headbonk him, forcing him to drop his item and granting Sonic a good window to knock him off. If Mario goes fireflower, Sonic gets the Fire Shield and gives him his own taste of the heat. If Mario does manage to land a hit on Sonic, then Sonic drops rings, which he can pick up and continue fighting. A second hit on Mario and he's gone unless he can get to another item in time.

Icewalker
2007-04-13, 02:08 AM
Sonic would be cool if he wasn't, well, not cool.

The premise of Sonic and etc. is actually quite good. I like the way they are made, and the way they fight. The villains....not so much. The games....(IMO) mediocre, although I haven't played too many to really say that for all. But that's just coolness opinion. In a fight...mario can't do too much. He has different RPGs where he has abilities, and he can jump on stuff (which seems to work in sonic games, so maybe that'd work)

Sonic can roll very fast into things, which sounds like it'd hurt. Also, I think he is somewhat spiky.

Yuki Akuma
2007-04-13, 06:43 AM
If allowed all of their items, Sonic would win, with his almost-light-speed flying powers and golden fur. And teleportation, time control, energy blasts... Which lasts for fifty seconds, unless he gathers more rings. Mario, meanwhile, has a mushroom that turns him into a giant for about ten seconds.

If not allowed all their items, it would probably be a closer fight, but I'm going to vote for Sonic.

Grey Paladin
2007-04-13, 07:26 PM
If allowed all their items Mario would be invisible and invincible (Blue Hat in 64)

Rama_Lei
2007-04-14, 12:04 PM
If we add sidekicks, Mario wins. He's had a boo, two goombas, his brother, two koopa's, two bomb-ombs (One of whom is a pirate), a witch,
Yoshi, a baby Yoshi, a mouse thief, a Cheep-Cheep, a flying koopa, a ball of electricity, and a Laikilu

Icewalker
2007-04-14, 03:37 PM
And sonic has about 5 or so other heroes as (or more) powerful than he is. Sounds like those many sidekicks would just kinda die pretty damn fast.

Soniku
2007-04-14, 03:39 PM
Well, seeing as Mario's main forms of attack are A, his own body weight or B, a fireball I think Sonic has it in the bag before he even starts fighting.

Sonic is adept at dodging various flying objects and what good is crushing Sonic when the hedgehog spikes will stop him from sitting down for a week after?

Sephiroth
2007-04-14, 04:27 PM
mario older and mario will sue sonic for copying on how to kill boss and bowser come and BURN HIM
also when did hehshogs became FAST

Leather_Book_Wizard
2007-04-14, 04:32 PM
Mario had a better cartoon than Sonic. But, you have to remember Sonic is immortal as long as he picks up his rings. However, if Mario was on Yoshi, the dinosaur could just eat the rings while Mario finishes the Hedgehog. Mario wins.

Deleran
2007-04-14, 04:48 PM
Well, I suppose we'll find out soon enough when they appear in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_&_Sonic_at_the_Olympic_Games) slated for release later this year. (I can't believe nobody else mentioned this yet?)

Leather_Book_Wizard
2007-04-14, 04:57 PM
Well, I suppose we'll find out soon enough when they appear in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_&_Sonic_at_the_Olympic_Games) slated for release later this year. (I can't believe nobody else mentioned this yet?)

Dude. That is awesome. All they need now is a Ninja-Pirate game.

Setra
2007-04-15, 01:38 AM
http://fanboys-online.com/comic.php?cid=165

In reference to the Olympic games thing..

Da Beast
2007-04-15, 11:55 PM
Funny comic.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mario and Sonic both have perfectly balanced stats in that game. It would be lame, but I could see it happening.

Gungnir
2007-04-20, 09:24 PM
Poor Sonic. I really hope someone manages to revive his games. It's all been downhill since the Dreamcast went kaput.

Sonic falls off the playing field and dies. :smallfrown:

Setra
2007-04-21, 08:36 AM
Poor Sonic. I really hope someone manages to revive his games. It's all been downhill since the Dreamcast went kaput.

Sonic falls off the playing field and dies. :smallfrown:
The new Sonic game for the Wii sucks, to me anyways, maybe others like it.

Gungnir
2007-04-21, 08:58 AM
The new Sonic game for the Wii sucks, to me anyways, maybe others like it.

That's what I was referring to, mostly. I tried it, and I couldn't go for more than 30 seconds without falling off something.