PDA

View Full Version : World from a Quote: Quote Based Worldbuilding

spikeof2010
2015-03-21, 11:49 PM
I'd like to bring back one of my more favorite ways of building a world.

Someone says a quote, the next post attributes it to someone in the world, and then they provide a quote.
Here's an example.

"The angels rode high into the sky on their chariots of steam."
- Alskanar the Great General of the Third Age.

Without further ado, let's get started!

"And in the end, they ascend with not bodies, but a carriage of steel."

GorinichSerpant
2015-03-22, 12:52 AM
-John Tinderwick, prophet of the Transhumanist Society

"I'm a Realistic Idealist, I believe in the goodness in all humanity, but I know of stupidity"

spikeof2010
2015-03-22, 12:57 AM
-John Tinderwick, prophet of the Transhumanist Society

"I'm a Realistic Idealist, I believe in the goodness in all humanity, but I know of stupidity"

-Alpha Rodnick, the First Arcane Right Leader

"And when we saw the reigns of heaven come down, I was sure that we were in for a long ride."

Jendekit
2015-03-22, 10:44 AM
"And when we saw the reigns of heaven come down, I was sure that we were in for a long ride."
-Cavalier Captain Rodrick, retired

"Only in their dreams can men be truly free; t'was always thus and always thus will be."

spikeof2010
2015-03-22, 01:59 PM
-Cavalier Captain Rodrick, retired

"Only in their dreams can men be truly free; t'was always thus and always thus will be."

-The Seer of Olkhembo, Age 1239

"If you see me with one of those monsters, please, make sure you obliterate my soul."

Jendekit
2015-03-22, 04:36 PM
-The Seer of Olkhembo, Age 1239

"If you see me with one of those monsters, please, make sure you obliterate my soul."
Cavalier Recruit Roderick, referring to the Vorgu'nosh

"I'm no man of honor/Myself is my true king/But somewhere deep within me/The bells of conscience ring."

spikeof2010
2015-03-22, 05:27 PM
Cavalier Recruit Roderick, referring to the Vorgu'nosh

"I'm no man of honor/Myself is my true king/But somewhere deep within me/The bells of conscience ring."

-An Excerpt from the 7 Conscripts of the Sanctified Lords

"The Voradorsh overran the country, and something new emerged."

Jendekit
2015-03-23, 12:33 PM
-An Excerpt from the 7 Conscripts of the Sanctified Lords

"The Voradorsh overran the country, and something new emerged."
Excerpt from the journal of Noranon, Acolyte of the Myst Disciples of Klendagon

"And behold, for I shall become a blight upon the land; and everything I touch shall wither and die."

spikeof2010
2015-03-23, 05:15 PM
Excerpt from the journal of Noranon, Acolyte of the Myst Disciples of Klendagon

"And behold, for I shall become a blight upon the land; and everything I touch shall wither and die."

-Alukax, the first Harbinger of the Second Plane

"And you think WE'RE the issue? We got bigger problems under our noses!"

Jendekit
2015-03-23, 07:42 PM
-Alukax, the first Harbinger of the Second Plane

"And you think WE'RE the issue? We got bigger problems under our noses!"
Knight-Commandant Mirulax to High Baron Yenno of House G'kal referencing the invasion of Nessa by the Voradorsh sappers

The last word in the following quote comes from a con lang I am working on called Vek'ta.

"When the end comes, speak the word of power, and your soul will be saved: z'aktn'zk'zat."

spikeof2010
2015-03-23, 10:53 PM
Knight-Commandant Mirulax to High Baron Yenno of House G'kal referencing the invasion of Nessa by the Voradorsh sappers

The last word in the following quote comes from a con lang I am working on called Vek'ta.

"When the end comes, speak the word of power, and your soul will be saved: z'aktn'zk'zat."

- Shriknu Barkip, Prophet of the New Heaven.

"I can't stand, nor can I walk, but I can manifest destiny in the best way possible."

Freelance GM
2015-03-29, 04:37 AM
- Shriknu Barkip, Prophet of the New Heaven.

"I can't stand, nor can I walk, but I can manifest destiny in the best way possible."

- Lord Salvadore Perissus, wealthy patron of the Fourth Voyage Across the Sea.

"Anyone who takes that road is suicidal or crazy. Which are you?"

Wartex1
2015-03-29, 05:56 AM
- Irnbjald Flagonsmasher, barkeep, referring to the adventuring profession.

"Have you ever been beaten with an hourglass?"

Mr.Cobalt
2015-03-29, 11:45 AM
- Irnbjald Flagonsmasher, barkeep, referring to the adventuring profession.

"Have you ever been beaten with an hourglass?"

-overheard at a tavern in a conversation about underestimating wizards cornered in their studies.

"Hell can't have you until I'm done with you."

Benthesquid
2015-03-29, 11:59 AM
~Eidel Schwartz, Grand Inquisitor of the Court Tenebrous.

"I am he who men call Lifetaker, Bonebreaker, Earthshaker. Turn back. I am Orphanmaker, Fleshraker, Thirstslaker. Turn back. My tent is made from the skins of those who came before you, and not one who has stood against me came away unbroken. If you value your life, and those of your companions, turn back. I have exhausted my mercy- I will caution you no more."

Jendekit
2015-03-29, 01:55 PM
So we have:

People:

Eidel Schwartz, Grand Inquisitor of the Court Tenebrous
Irnbjald Flagonsmasher, barkeep
Lord Salvadore Perissus
Shriknu Barkip, Prophet of the New Heaven
Knight-Commandant Mirulax
High Baron Yenno of House G'kal
Alukax, the first Harbinger of the Second Plane
Noranon, Acolyte of the Myst Disciples of Klendagon
Cavalier Captain Rodrick, retired
Alpha Rodnick, the First Arcane Right Leader
John Tinderwick, prophet of the Transhumanist Society

Events:

An invasion of Nessa by the Voradorsh sappers
At least four events called a Voyage Across the Sea

Documents:

The journal of Noranon, Acolyte of the Myst Disciples of Klendagon
7 Conscripts of the Sanctified Lords

Organizations:

Transhumanist Society
Cavaliers
Seer of Olkhembo
Myst Disciples of Klendagon
Court Tenebrous

Any that I missed?

Wartex1
2015-03-29, 07:56 PM
~Eidel Schwartz, Grand Inquisitor of the Court Tenebrous.

"I am he who men call Lifetaker, Bonebreaker, Earthshaker. Turn back. I am Orphanmaker, Fleshraker, Thirstslaker. Turn back. My tent is made from the skins of those who came before you, and not one who has stood against me came away unbroken. If you value your life, and those of your companions, turn back. I have exhausted my mercy- I will caution you no more."

- Vilskar Hrimskr, Mountain-King of the Gornwast Barbarians, during the attempted peace council of the Third Gornwast-Krieger War

"I seek the land filled with brilliant gemstones that line the roads, gleaming golden stalks of wheat, and rivers that flow with shining sapphires."

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-03-30, 05:19 AM
- Vorad VII, the Damned, when asked why the invasion of Nessa was necessary.

"Thanks."

GorinichSerpant
2015-03-30, 07:31 AM
-Last words of Irnbjald Flagonsmasher before he was executed for crimes against Nessa.

"That place drives the sturdiest men to madness, crushes the good sense of the wise, and causes the mad to loss their insanity! But will I go? Oh sure, I've got nothing to lose there."

As a side note, I've noticed that most of the quote based settings are quite similar.

Wartex1
2015-03-30, 08:27 AM
-Last words of Irnbjald Flagonsmasher before he was executed for crimes against Nessa.

"That place drives the sturdiest men to madness, crushes the good sense of the wise, and causes the mad to loss their insanity! But will I go? Oh sure, I've got nothing to lose there."

As a side note, I've noticed that most of the quote based settings are quite similar.

- Lib Hourglass-Wielder, Archwizard of the Crimson Towers, speaking of the Mirrored Halls of Tam-Shorath

"I'm pretty sure using a wooden staff against an army of fire elementals is a less-than-ideal prospect."

Benthesquid
2015-03-31, 04:38 PM
~Melior the Grim, quoted in "The Lives and Times of the Blind Yeoman,"

"The Serpent's sons are mad beautiful things, dear, but they don't have the making of kings, dear, no, they're all poison and glory and cursed golden rings, dear."

spikeof2010
2015-03-31, 05:30 PM
~Melior the Grim, quoted in "The Lives and Times of the Blind Yeoman,"

"The Serpent's sons are mad beautiful things, dear, but they don't have the making of kings, dear, no, they're all poison and glory and cursed golden rings, dear."

- Kirranah Berribuckle, Owner of the Mystic Magister telling a superstition to her daughter.

"Can you feel the flow of the knowledge wizards?"

GorinichSerpant
2015-03-31, 06:48 PM
-Jake Tinderwick, self proclaimed "Wisdom Wizard" and well known psychopath, shortly after throwing a dozen of his colleagues into a meat grinder for no apparent reason.

"My wings are itching, can please give them a scratch?"

Jurai
2015-03-31, 08:06 PM
Yavadr'samaxi, Blade Dragon to an unsuspecting dragon-napper.

"Tell me the songs of the conquered, and I shall write you a true history, a history of deceit and shame and cowardice. Tell me the songs of the victors, and I shall write you a false history, a history of forwardness and honor and valor. Tell me the songs of the dead, and I shall write you a living history, a history of suffering and pain and agony."

JNAProductions
2015-03-31, 08:31 PM
"Tell me the songs of the conquered, and I shall write you a true history, a history of deceit and shame and cowardice. Tell me the songs of the victors, and I shall write you a false history, a history of forwardness and honor and valor. Tell me the songs of the dead, and I shall write you a living history, a history of suffering and pain and agony."

-Tellurian the Unsung, Folk Hero of the Little Dales

"We killed them. Every last one of them, gone and dead. May the gods have mercy on their souls, for we no longer deserve any."

spikeof2010
2015-03-31, 09:14 PM
-Tellurian the Unsung, Folk Hero of the Little Dales

"We killed them. Every last one of them, gone and dead. May the gods have mercy on their souls, for we no longer deserve any."
- Forsalkian Knight on the Genocide of the Talorians

"Secede your body, become one with the upper lords."

JNAProductions
2015-03-31, 09:31 PM
-Talorian Lord of the Ether

"Add one pinch of dragon scales, two tufts of centaur fur, and eighteen live orphans, freshly made."

GorinichSerpant
2015-04-01, 09:41 AM
"Add one pinch of dragon scales, two tufts of centaur fur, and eighteen live orphans, freshly made."

-A recipe for a potion that promotes hair growth. From a book by Jake Tinderwick that nobody had bothered to read until his madness became public knowledge.

"I have stared a Voradorsh in the eye, nothing can surprise me now"

whisperwind1
2015-04-01, 10:10 AM
-A recipe for a potion that promotes hair growth. From a book by Jake Tinderwick that nobody had bothered to read until his madness became public knowledge.

"I have stared a Voradorsh in the eye, nothing can surprise me now"

- Elteier, former knight of Nessa, now leader of the Firescourged mecenaries

Using an army of metal men to attack the master of magnetism? Your arrogance knows fewer bounds than my restraint. Which is to say none.

JNAProductions
2015-04-01, 02:29 PM
- Elteier, former knight of Nessa, now leader of the Firescourged mecenaries

Using an army of metal men to attack the master of magnetism? Your arrogance knows fewer bounds than my restraint. Which is to say none.

Magnus the Magnificent, rogue alchemist and artificer of Groogalorian descent.

"The gods can all face oblivion! They couldn't save her, and now nothing will save them!"

Jurai
2015-04-01, 02:35 PM
- Tavain the Omnicidal, who went on to slay the entire clergy of three gods.

"Baramos, do not stop fighting, do not stop charging, and most of all, do not stop being yourself."

JNAProductions
2015-04-01, 07:08 PM
- Tavain the Omnicidal, who went on to slay the entire clergy of three gods.

"Baramos, do not stop fighting, do not stop charging, and most of all, do not stop being yourself."

-Baravos, Baramos' erudite alter ego at the Battle of Baskhal.

"When all is said and done, nothing but blood, guts, and a whole lot of orphan parts scattered around."

Jurai
2015-04-01, 07:20 PM
- Fell Knight Ridley of the Empire of Valtara.

"Oh, look! It's like a puppy! One that breathes swords and lighting!"

whisperwind1
2015-04-02, 05:05 AM
- Fell Knight Ridley of the Empire of Valtara.

"Oh, look! It's like a puppy! One that breathes swords and lighting!"

- Julya, pre-teen citizen of Adalla upon seeing Magnus the Magnificent debut his "Wizard's Battle-Tested, Inorganic Firmament Familiar, or B.I.F.F."

"When the moon falls from the heavens, and come to rest at the feet of the Sun-who-is-our-Stars, Ye shall know that we stand at the dawn of a New Age!"

Wartex1
2015-04-02, 06:09 AM
- Riker Garrosh, madman prophet

"I wouldn't trust one of these desert-folk with a sack full of treasure, or a silver coin for that matter."

JNAProductions
2015-04-02, 01:15 PM
- Riker Garrosh, madman prophet

"I wouldn't trust one of these desert-folk with a sack full of treasure, or a silver coin for that matter."

-Riker Garrosh, on the jungle tribes of Ferric

"Riker Garrosh is a genius, plain and simple."

Jurai
2015-04-02, 01:23 PM
Riker Garrosh, on Riker Garrosh.

"Only in Yuvata can you find such exotic women."

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-04-02, 05:51 PM
"Only in Yuvata can you find such exotic women."

Riker Garrosh on cultural differences between his homeland and the Suzerainty of Yuvata, where women were a) not permitted to bear arms and b) not willing to sleep with him.

"I really don't understand what the Lady-General was upset about. For this sort of thing, ninety-seven percent casualties is frankly miraculous."

Jurai
2015-04-02, 06:12 PM
Riker Garrosh on cultural differences between his homeland and the Suzerainty of Yuvata, where women were a) not permitted to bear arms and b) not willing to sleep with him.

"I really don't understand what the Lady-General was upset about. For this sort of thing, ninety-seven percent casualties is frankly miraculous."

Emilios tu Varanos, Rat King of Talakhan, defender of the Kingdom.

"Heroes, Heroes never change."

(We're making Riker Garrosh into a bit of myth here.)

JNAProductions
2015-04-02, 07:05 PM
Emilios tu Varanos, Rat King of Talakhan, defender of the Kingdom.

"Heroes, Heroes never change."

(We're making Riker Garrosh into a bit of myth here.)

-Riker Garrosh, on himself
-King Amelhan XV
-Queen Golinian II
-Sual, adventurer extraordinaire
-Omar Garrosh, GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER!
-Many, many others

"Evil lurks in all hearts, madam. Even yours. Even mine. Even the gods themselves."

(Hell yes we are!)

Jurai
2015-04-02, 07:26 PM
-Riker Garrosh, on himself
-King Amelhan XV
-Queen Golinian II
-Sual, adventurer extraordinaire
-Omar Garrosh, GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER!
-Many, many others

"Evil lurks in all hearts, madam. Even yours. Even mine. Even the gods themselves."

(Hell yes we are!)
-The Umbra, Vigilante of Yuvata.

"Oh, boy! It's like a kitty, except it has six legs and even fluffier fur!"

JNAProductions
2015-04-02, 07:37 PM
-The Umbra, Vigilante of Yuvata.

"Oh, boy! It's like a kitty, except it has six legs and even fluffier fur!"

-Attributed to Magnus's sentient dog, Spot

"I heard the call, and I answered it. I then found the source of the call and beat it till it shut up. I'm long done being a hero."

Jurai
2015-04-02, 08:02 PM
- Fell Knight Ridley of the Empire of Valtara, on why he Fell.

"Uhm, if this is the Elemental Citadel of Fire, why is everything all iced cream and snowmen?"

Jendekit
2015-04-02, 08:07 PM
- Fell Knight Ridley of the Empire of Valtara, on why he Fell.

"Uhm, if this is the Elemental Citadel of Fire, why is everything all iced cream and snowmen?"

A horribly, horribly lost Riker Garrosh.

"There are two phrases that I am known for: 'I have a soft spot for cripples, bastards, and broken things.' and 'Do you want to know how I got these scars?' People see me, broken manacles on my wrists and ankles, and those are the first things they think of. When I strangled the zuzak that claimed to own me, I never imagined I would have so renowned a reputation."

Jurai
2015-04-02, 08:14 PM
A horribly, horribly lost Riker Garrosh.

"There are two phrases that I am known for: 'I have a soft spot for cripples, bastards, and broken things.' and 'Do you want to know how I got these scars?' People see me, broken manacles on my wrists and ankles, and those are the first things they think of. When I strangled the zuzak that claimed to own me, I never imagined I would have so renowned a reputation."

Wesley Garrosh, Riker Garrosh' rebellious brother and the Sultan of Beggars in Yuvata.

"Day 123: My dog and cat have finally made peace. I think they desire to do cruel, heinous, unholy acts to me and my corpse."

JNAProductions
2015-04-02, 08:16 PM
Wesley Garrosh, Riker Garrosh' rebellious brother and the Sultan of Beggars in Yuvata.

"Day 123: My dog and cat have finally made peace. I think they desire to do cruel, heinous, unholy acts to me and my corpse."

-Magnus, shortly before creating the Wizards' New Pet, widely considered to be more dangerous than any four young dragons

"Rats... Rats everywhere!"

Jurai
2015-04-02, 08:19 PM
-Magnus, shortly before creating the Wizards' New Pet, widely considered to be more dangerous than any four young dragons

"Rats... Rats everywhere!"
A young Emilios tu Varanos, before he was turned into a Wererat and crowned Rat King.

"Hmm... Perhaps we should put Riker, Wesley, Magnus, and Magnus' pets in a free-for-all, and see who wins."

JNAProductions
2015-04-02, 08:22 PM
A young Emilios tu Varanos, before he was turned into a Wererat and crowned Rat King.

"Hmm... Perhaps we should put Riker, Wesley, Magnus, and Magnus' pets in a free-for-all, and see who wins."

-From a debate between Riker and Magnus, ultimately leading to Wesley's disowning of Riker

"I love you."

Wartex1
2015-04-02, 08:44 PM
-From a debate between Riker and Magnus, ultimately leading to Wesley's disowning of Riker

"I love you."

Riker Garrosh, as he groped the statue of Iliana, the local goddess of love

"I'm sorry meatbag, but I prefer allies of less... fleshy... composition."

spikeof2010
2015-04-02, 09:08 PM
Riker Garrosh, as he groped the statue of Iliana, the local goddess of love

"I'm sorry meatbag, but I prefer allies of less... fleshy... composition."

Skrillan, the Undead Theurge of the Umbra.

"Give me one good damn reason as to why I shouldn't kill you right now."

Wartex1
2015-04-02, 09:22 PM
- Killian Anglerstrangler, speaking with Don Fische of the Gnome Mafia.

"So, I understand you're having trouble separating fantasy from reality..."

GorinichSerpant
2015-04-03, 06:24 AM
-Captain Rodrick addressing Riker Garrosh.

"One time you wake up and realise that the world has gone mad, then you wake up again and realise it's always been mad! I hope that I don't wake up again."

ReaderAt2046
2015-04-03, 06:53 AM
"One time you wake up and realise that the world has gone mad, then you wake up again and realise it's always been mad! I hope that I don't wake up again."

Riker Garrosh, replying to Captain Rodrick.

In the arms of the flame I am flying
In the fire I soar to the skies
For the chains forged of cold they are shattered
And the fire has opened my eyes.

In the kindling flame I am burning
I burn like the sun at noonday
For the fire has entered my heart
And burns all my darkness away

A fire is lit in my heart
A flame it now burns in my soul
And never again shall the evil
Come back in darkness and cold.

Wartex1
2015-04-03, 10:21 AM
- Bard-Priest Nira Hornsmith of the fire goddess Tanoia, singing the classical hymn

"If I can't become the lord-cleric of Gl'morshapah, then no one will!"

JNAProductions
2015-04-03, 10:30 AM
- Bard-Priest Nira Hornsmith of the fire goddess Tanoia, singing the classical hymn

"If I can't become the lord-cleric of Gl'morshapah, then no one will!"

-Wesley Garrosh, under the effects of Magnus' Potion of Clarity

"Eighteen men, seventeen children, sixteen women, fifteen slaves, fourteen elders, thirteen shamans..."

Wartex1
2015-04-03, 10:47 AM
Lazlo Skeiner, mostly done reading a writ of requests to a king from Riker Garrosh

"Do the drow have a word for banana? How about tree? It's not like there are any growing down there."

Jendekit
2015-04-03, 11:02 AM
Lazlo Skeiner, mostly done reading a writ of requests to a king from Riker Garrosh

"Do the drow have a word for banana? How about tree? It's not like there are any growing down there."

Riker Garrosh, asking the drow slaver that attempted to capture him.

"Riker, do I have to save you all the time?"

(guy really gets around doesn't he?)

JNAProductions
2015-04-03, 11:15 AM
Riker Garrosh, asking the drow slaver that attempted to capture him.

"Riker, do I have to save you all the time?"

(guy really gets around doesn't he?)

-Tavain the Omnicidal, when he was known as Tavain the Heroic

"Birds are rather pretty, in the morning."

(So when does the actual world-building come in? Not that this isn't fun on its own.)

Jurai
2015-04-03, 12:46 PM
-Tavain the Omnicidal, when he was known as Tavain the Heroic

"Birds are rather pretty, in the morning."

(So when does the actual world-building come in? Not that this isn't fun on its own.)

Wesley Garrosh, renowned morning hater.

"So, uhm, why are we doing this again?"

(THIS IS THE WORLDBUILDING! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!)

ReaderAt2046
2015-04-03, 01:51 PM
"So, uhm, why are we doing this again?"

A great many people accompanying Riker Garrosh, on various occasions.

I'm not sure when I first realized that not everyone could see them. When you're the Emperor of Tarbean, people tend to ignore your... eccentricities. My grandfather once appointed his favorite bonsai tree as Secretary of Trade. Trade income rose by 13% under Secretary Ash, presumably because it was the only Secretary of Trade which didn't embezzle. How it managed to pass the subsidies on the silk industry is a mystery probably best left unsolved.

whisperwind1
2015-04-04, 07:01 AM
A great many people accompanying Riker Garrosh, on various occasions.

I'm not sure when I first realized that not everyone could see them. When you're the Emperor of Tarbean, people tend to ignore your... eccentricities. My grandfather once appointed his favorite bonsai tree as Secretary of Trade. Trade income rose by 13% under Secretary Ash, presumably because it was the only Secretary of Trade which didn't embezzle. How it managed to pass the subsidies on the silk industry is a mystery probably best left unsolved.

- Karolus Xavir VII, Emperor of the Tarbean Dominion, estranged brother to Magnus the Magnificent

"No, no, NO! You animals, how many teams do I have to send in there before the gauntlet gets so choked with corpses that I can't even SEE the gods-blighted altar!?"

Wartex1
2015-04-04, 10:01 AM
General Leonart of the Golden Legions, to which the answer was "25".

"I find the most heinous of crimes to be murder, destruction of priceless art, and poor craftsmanship when making handbags."

ReaderAt2046
2015-04-05, 04:18 PM
"I find the most heinous of crimes to be murder, destruction of priceless art, and poor craftsmanship when making handbags."

Karolus Xavir IV, Emperor of the Tarbean Dominion, also known as "Karolus The Decadent" for his legendary accumulation of wealth and luxuries.

Round and round on the moonlit grass
At my waist a sword of glass
In mine arms a fairy lass
Reckless and terribly fey

I kiss the hand of the silver moon
On my brow a silver rune
From Lady Winter sought I boon
Debt for debt is paid

Filled I am with Winter's might
Her laws to keep, her foes to smite
Bound am I as Winter's Knight
By oath I swore this day.

Jurai
2015-04-05, 05:22 PM
Fey Knight Varadros Allazzar, traveling companion of Riker Garrosh before their paths separated.

"By the black dunes of Barza Daros, you will be made to suffer."

JNAProductions
2015-04-05, 05:24 PM
Fey Knight Varadros Allazzar, traveling companion of Riker Garrosh before their paths separated.

"By the black dunes of Barza Daros, you will be made to suffer."

-The Acolyte of Varadosh, to Cavalier Captain Roderick

"It's bread stuffed with meat, cheese and vegetables. How can it go wrong?"

Jurai
2015-04-05, 05:27 PM
Riker Garrosh, before he faced Alzan Barul, Cibomancer of the Tarbean Dominion. It ended with him having a stuffed gut and another kill on his kill tally.

"So, my nemesis, we meet again."

JNAProductions
2015-04-05, 05:30 PM
Riker Garrosh, before he faced Alzan Barul, Cibomancer of the Tarbean Dominion. It ended with him having a stuffed gut and another kill on his kill tally.

"So, my nemesis, we meet again."

-Riker Garrosh, to a mirror
-Magnus, to his menegarie
-Queen Oma, to Princess Ima, her daughter

"Ah, suppertime. What better time could there be?"

Jurai
2015-04-05, 05:32 PM
Cibomancer Alzan Barul, before he had to animate his dinner to fend off Riker Garrosh.

"It seems as though the Tarbean dynasty has had it's fair share of those who are either touched by spirits or by madness. No has ever been able to mount an investigation."

Benthesquid
2015-04-05, 09:41 PM
Well, this got a little silly for my tastes, but, eh, whatever.

"It seems as though the Tarbean dynasty has had it's fair share of those who are either touched by spirits or by madness. No has ever been able to mount an investigation."

~Carrida Thon, speaking to the Talakhan Parliament of Rats after the Tarbean dynasty expelled all foreign diplomats.

"I have marched to battle many times in my life. This was no battle. This was the wheat, dreaming that it could make war upon the reaper."

Jurai
2015-04-05, 09:55 PM
Haros Almazra, Knight Commander of the Agrarian Guard.

"Impossible! The magic appears to be fading the farther we get from civilization!"

(AAAAAND just what's wrong with silly?)

Wartex1
2015-04-05, 10:07 PM
- Obviously pointed out by Urban Druid Ki'aanu Rihvs

"So, what's that thing in the statue's mouth. Its some sort of or-"

Benthesquid
2015-04-05, 10:13 PM
(AAAAAND just what's wrong with silly?)

Did I say there was anything wrong with it? It's simply not to my taste.

"So, what's that thing in the statue's mouth. Its some sort of or-"

~Last recorded words of Angus McPherson, Witch-General of the First Legion of the Krieger army, during the sacking of into the Hall of Cephalophores during the first Gornwast-Krieger war.

"I'll fight as many swordsmen as you like. The prophecy says no sword can harm me, nor man overcome me. Why the hell would you book me a fight against an axewife?"

Jurai
2015-04-05, 10:25 PM
Said by Itanan Bladescorn, who was defeated by the axewife. They went on to have three kids.

"So, we've got a stray cat problem? Let's bring more in!"

GorinichSerpant
2015-04-06, 12:47 AM
-Wesley Garrosh talking to Rikter Garrosh. Rikter Garrosh hates cats.

"Sand always gets into your boots at the worst of times"

JNAProductions
2015-04-06, 09:36 AM
-Wesley Garrosh talking to Rikter Garrosh. Rikter Garrosh hates cats.

"Sand always gets into your boots at the worst of times"

-General Phento, moments before the Sand Elemental attack began

"How could you?"

whisperwind1
2015-04-06, 11:55 AM
-General Phento, moments before the Sand Elemental attack began

"How could you?"

Julya, teen-aged axiomancer-in-training of Adalla, upon discovering the academy headmaster's secret collusion with the Tarbean Dominion, thus undermining their defences in the subsequent war.

"Small-minded fool! Just because they said it could never be done, doesn't mean that it could never be ACHIEVED! Now stand back, i'm about to wipe that smug grin off your face. With magic."

JNAProductions
2015-04-06, 11:58 AM
Julya, teen-aged axiomancer-in-training of Adalla, upon discovering the academy headmaster's secret collusion with the Tarbean Dominion, thus undermining their defences in the subsequent war.

"Small-minded fool! Just because they said it could never be done, doesn't mean that it could never be ACHIEVED! Now stand back, i'm about to wipe that smug grin off your face. With magic."

-Magnus, before single-handedly flooding the entire Plains of Atallah. (Magnus is not just a mad wizard, but also a supremely powerful one.)

"The entire Atallah is gone!"

Jurai
2015-04-06, 12:54 PM
Vazak'ti, Shaman of Black Storm Clan, seeing the aftermath of Magnus' spell.

"Fool? I am NO fool, child."

ReaderAt2046
2015-04-06, 03:08 PM
"Fool? I am NO fool, child."
Vazak'ti, Shaman of Black Storm Clan, just before Magnus cast his spells.

Generally speaking, the Outsiders can only enter the Multiverse if summoned by powerful wizardry, and as soon as the summons is finished, the pattern-magic of the Outer Gates expels them back to the Far Realms. Nevertheless, over the eternities, two mighty Outsiders have breached the Gates' protections, embedding themselves into Reality like parasites. The titan known as Atarka World-Render was the first, and it took all the Gods working as one to destroy it. Night's Sorrow was second, and to this day its touch cannot be wholly eradicated from the Multiverse. I grow increasingly convinced that Riker Garrosh is a third such intrusion.

JNAProductions
2015-04-06, 03:12 PM
Vazak'ti, Shaman of Black Storm Clan, just before Magnus cast his spells.

Generally speaking, the Outsiders can only enter the Multiverse if summoned by powerful wizardry, and as soon as the summons is finished, the pattern-magic of the Outer Gates expels them back to the Far Realms. Nevertheless, over the eternities, two mighty Outsiders have breached the Gates' protections, embedding themselves into Reality like parasites. The titan known as Atarka World-Render was the first, and it took all the Gods working as one to destroy it. Night's Sorrow was second, and to this day its touch cannot be wholly eradicated from the Multiverse. I grow increasingly convinced that Riker Garrosh is a third such intrusion.

-Wesley Garrosh, Threats Transcending Borders, a treatise written for all kingdoms

"Who dares defy my might?"

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-04-10, 05:32 PM
"Who dares defy my might?"

- First words uttered by all Emperors of the Tarbean Dominion following their creation. In the case of Karolus Xavir VI, they were also his last.

"Yes, Admiral, I know we're outnumbered ten to one. That's why we're going to win."

Jurai
2015-04-10, 06:54 PM
Riker Garrosh, said to Wesley, with regards to a horde of Gnomish Salesmen under the influence of Night's Sorrow.

"Oi... Jus' who da heck bought me here?"

ReaderAt2046
2015-04-11, 07:36 AM
"Oi... Jus' who da heck bought me here?"

Hamish Greenthumb, after being teleported from his garden in Bulford to the throne room of the Tarbean Emperors.

"When stones weep and rivers burn, when the sun bleeds and the sky is made ash, when castles of stone fly through the air like clouds and the trees of the forest fight in the wars of men, then and not before shall the Deliverer be returned to you."

spikeof2010
2015-04-11, 09:22 AM
Hamish Greenthumb, after being teleported from his garden in Bulford to the throne room of the Tarbean Emperors.

"When stones weep and rivers burn, when the sun bleeds and the sky is made ash, when castles of stone fly through the air like clouds and the trees of the forest fight in the wars of men, then and not before shall the Deliverer be returned to you."

An Inscription on a stone in Mount Terrador.

"In this hour, I call on the spirit of the commander, the enforcer, the huntress. The rain of blood will be no risk to me. End your line here, Providence."

ReaderAt2046
2015-04-11, 09:49 AM
"In this hour, I call on the spirit of the commander, the enforcer, the huntress. The rain of blood will be no risk to me. End your line here, Providence."

Varadros Allazzar, Fey Knight Of Winter, to General Providence Arndelford of the Free People.

Rode we horses pale as snow
Blade of glass and white horn bow
Wore we living supple boughs
Red and green against our brows.

spikeof2010
2015-04-17, 07:57 AM
Varadros Allazzar, Fey Knight Of Winter, to General Providence Arndelford of the Free People.

Rode we horses pale as snow
Blade of glass and white horn bow
Wore we living supple boughs
Red and green against our brows.

-The Winderkind Elves, a book by Gorrandiun Alle, a great Sage

"You think, you are, you fight, you win."

Jurai
2015-04-17, 01:05 PM
- Valzadaim, Wyrm of the East, teaching his students their first lesson.

"When Death rides, so do we!"

ReaderAt2046
2015-04-18, 02:16 PM
"When Death rides, so do we!"

Motto of the Black Riders, the elite troops of the Winter Fae.

"I'll need two number thirteen knitting needles, a bundle of oniongrass, a pocketknife, and some kind of condiment"

JNAProductions
2015-04-18, 02:21 PM
Motto of the Black Riders, the elite troops of the Winter Fae.

"I'll need two number thirteen knitting needles, a bundle of oniongrass, a pocketknife, and some kind of condiment"

-Magnus, muttering to himself about The Doomsday Iphil

"Stop! In the name of Luminar!

spikeof2010
2015-04-29, 10:38 AM
-Magnus, muttering to himself about The Doomsday Iphil

"Stop! In the name of Luminar!

- A Luminar Knight of the Occult Shine

"As your smashing new leader, I declare all of you to be extinct"

Jurai
2015-04-29, 10:39 AM
Riker Garrosh, after a long year of drinking after losing his wife.

"What condiment would work for you, sir?"

Ozy
2015-05-01, 08:53 AM
"What condiment would work for you, sir?"
- Vilskar Hrimskr, Mountain-King of the Gornwast Barbarians, to Prince Rigel of the Dust during a heated diplomatic dinner.

"In the Mountains of Heridor, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there he will break all those who come to be broken. But my wife is dust and my brother is soot; My Words have been scattered and stolen; The kingdom of my ancestors has been sewn with salt. I will go to be broken, and God will find he cannot break me any more."

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-05-02, 06:36 PM
- Alpha Rodnick, following the fall of the Court Tenebrous to the Second Arcane Right.

`Killing me was your first error. Letting me live shall be your last.`

GorinichSerpant
2015-05-02, 08:47 PM
Riker Garrosh, having tracked down the assassin blew up Garrosh's Honeymoon Carriage.

"By ma Mather's Bristles! I'll grind ya bones to bake ma bread and throw the rest in a stew!"

ReaderAt2046
2015-05-03, 03:20 PM
Riker Garrosh, having tracked down the assassin blew up Garrosh's Honeymoon Carriage.

"By ma Mather's Bristles! I'll grind ya bones to bake ma bread and throw the rest in a stew!"

Thork the Ogre, after discovering that Riker Garrosh had made off with his magical frying pan.

The North shall see through silver eyes
The East is marked by burning skies
The South's forebearers forget his name
The West doth burn like candleflame

These four the world yet may redeem
Though skull and serpent to win may seem.

JNAProductions
2015-08-04, 09:52 PM
Thork the Ogre, after discovering that Riker Garrosh had made off with his magical frying pan.

The North shall see through silver eyes
The East is marked by burning skies
The South's forebearers forget his name
The West doth burn like candleflame

These four the world yet may redeem
Though skull and serpent to win may seem.

-Michael the Seer

"Here's his head-attached to his body, and leading his army."

Belac93
2015-08-05, 02:55 PM
-Michael the Seer

"Here's his head-attached to his body, and leading his army."

-Uluthak Darenkas, on Enot, the Sunforger
"I have walked through hell, heaven, and the spaces in between. I have fought the raven knights of the Brimstone prophet. You think you can scare me?"

LordotTrinkets
2015-08-05, 05:49 PM
-Uluthak Darenkas, on Enot, the Sunforger
"I have walked through hell, heaven, and the spaces in between. I have fought the raven knights of the Brimstone prophet. You think you can scare me?"

~Felix of Fereign Forest to Vilskar Hrimskrof the Gornwast Barbarians, during the attempted peace council of the Third Gornwast-Krieger War

"Pfft, that bell only rings true because it's too stupid to ring anything else!"

JNAProductions
2015-08-05, 07:40 PM
~Felix of Fereign Forest to Vilskar Hrimskrof the Gornwast Barbarians, during the attempted peace council of the Third Gornwast-Krieger War

"Pfft, that bell only rings true because it's too stupid to ring anything else!"

Queen Amalia of the Emerald City, about King Iop (in his presence)

"Nothing better, my friend! Nothing at all better!"

Jendekit
2015-08-05, 10:52 PM
Queen Amalia of the Emerald City, about King Iop (in his presence)

"Nothing better, my friend! Nothing at all better!"

Riker Garrosh to his pet lizard Fluffy in regards to the **** & Pickle (a specialty meal at the High Sun Tavern)

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Qwertystop
2015-08-05, 11:15 PM
Riker Garrosh to his pet lizard Fluffy in regards to the **** & Pickle (a specialty meal at the High Sun Tavern)

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Raza, Low Magus of Vorad, from his journal of amusing nonsenses, platitudes, and half-heard conversation.

"The Light does not hold back the Darkness - for the Shadow flees the Light!"

Belac93
2015-08-06, 01:27 AM
Raza, Low Magus of Vorad, from his journal of amusing nonsenses, platitudes, and half-heard conversation.

"The Light does not hold back the Darkness - for the Shadow flees the Light!"

-Enot, the Sunforger

"I am the unknown, the fleeting dream, what waits beyond the farthest horizon. I am knowledge that should not be found, and the whispers in the minds of madmen. If you wish to retain your sanity, come no further."

Jendekit
2015-08-06, 05:08 PM
-Enot, the Sunforger

"I am the unknown, the fleeting dream, what waits beyond the farthest horizon. I am knowledge that should not be found, and the whispers in the minds of madmen. If you wish to retain your sanity, come no further."

A wizard that went around calling himself Rizael, the Divine Lactomancer. Most agree that the wizard was a few wagons short of a caravan

"Only one human has ever bested us in battle. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, BE somewhere else."

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-08-08, 04:51 AM
"Only one human has ever bested us in battle. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, BE somewhere else."

Vorad VII, the Damned, last words.

"No."

Celcey
2015-08-09, 08:50 PM
"No."

-Elteier, former knight of Nessa, current leader of the Firescourged mercenaries, before murdering Vorad VII the Damned.

"I was about to say I couldn't believe you would do that. Then I remembered who I was talking to."

Does anyone want to compile a list of things that have happened? Jendekit did a pretty good one on the first page, so working off of that would be a good idea.

JNAProductions
2015-08-09, 08:57 PM
"I was about to say I couldn't believe you would do that. Then I remembered who I was talking to."

An exchange between Riker and Magnus. It is unknown who spoke first.

Does anyone want to compile a list of things that have happened? Jendekit did a pretty good one on the first page, so working off of that would be a good idea.

Yes!

"The world is merely a game, and we are all pawns."

Belac93
2015-08-09, 10:41 PM
"The world is merely a game, and we are all pawns."

-Tellurian the Unsung, tired of nobility

"This is the finest tea in all of Nessa. Just be careful, feed it to one of the wererats, and it'll kill it slowly, painfully, over the course of many days. There is no cure. But if you drink it, it'll cure your ulcer right away!"

Celcey
2015-08-09, 11:13 PM
"This is the finest tea in all of Nessa. Just be careful, feed it to one of the wererats, and it'll kill it slowly, painfully, over the course of many days. There is no cure. But if you drink it, it'll cure your ulcer right away!"

A Nessan merchant to the father of Emilios tu Varanos, who nearly killed his only son by being careless with his medicine. And he would have too, if it hadn't been for a group of adventurers who happened to stop by at just the right time.

"Everyone is entitled to their basic arcane rights."

Jendekit
2015-08-09, 11:49 PM
A Nessan merchant to the father of Emilios tu Varanos, who nearly killed his only son by being careless with his medicine. And he would have too, if it hadn't been for a group of adventurers who happened to stop by at just the right time.

"Everyone is entitled to their basic arcane rights."

Riker Garrosh, after eating twenty pounds of a newly discovered mushroom but before challenging the local king's horse to a duel for "impugning upon my honor!" From what observers could determine, the high Riker thought that the horse had an affair with his half human, half wolf, half mushroom, half goldfish (specifically in that order) wife. It was three days before Riker was able to remember that he was not married at the time.

"SILENCE! I KEEL YOU!!!"

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-08-10, 03:29 AM
"SILENCE! I KEEL YOU!!!"

Riker Garrosh, last words of his fifth life.

"Of course they were marked `half off` you idiot! They're all made for gnomes!"

GorinichSerpant
2015-08-11, 12:26 AM
"Of course they were marked `half off` you idiot! They're all made for gnomes!"

Riker Garrosh right before dieing a sixth time, to gnomes.

"Bloody Claxnax bring a plague of maggots upon you!"

Celcey
2015-08-11, 06:26 AM
"Bloody Claxnax bring a plague of maggots upon you!"

Hector DeBrewlidard, High Priest of "Bloody" Claxnax, after losing his poker game to a friend.

"Damn it all, it's time for Plan C."

Belac93
2015-08-14, 03:41 PM
"Damn it all, it's time for Plan C."

Queen Amalia of the Emerald City, during a war counsel.

"Let me out, and I will give you all you desire. Riches, power, love, just let me out."

Jendekit
2015-08-14, 04:49 PM
Queen Amalia of the Emerald City, during a war counsel.

"Let me out, and I will give you all you desire. Riches, power, love, just let me out."
Kt'zk Kt'gvan, a jinn trapped within an ancient clay spittoon.

"WHY? WHY DO THEY ALWAYS ASK FOR VIRGINS?"

Qwertystop
2015-08-14, 05:02 PM
Kt'zk Kt'gvan, a jinn trapped within an ancient clay spittoon.

"WHY? WHY DO THEY ALWAYS ASK FOR VIRGINS?"

Kt'zk Kt'gvan again, after his fifth release.

It was terrible, and wonderful, and didn't care what you thought of it.

IZ42
2015-08-14, 10:09 PM
- Riker Garrosh, on the first warbeast of Nessa

'And so the fire burned, not sated by mere flesh and bone, devouring our very hopes and dreams, the foundation we were built upon, destroying us utterly.'

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-08-15, 04:44 AM
- 'And so the fire burned, not sated by mere flesh and bone, devouring our very hopes and dreams, the foundation we were built upon, destroying us utterly.'

Admiral-Dictator Eidel Schwartz, on the fall of the Court Tenebrous.

"You must be a Garrosh. I've never seen anyone else this chewed up and still trying to wave a sword. Shut up and lie down."

Thorongil
2015-08-15, 06:21 PM
"You must be a Garrosh. I've never seen anyone else this chewed up and still trying to wave a sword. Shut up and lie down."

Dalendo the Stitched, Captain of the City Guard in the city of Steamspire, and sometime reanimated corpse.

"Y'know, when we were still little 'uns, they told us in temple-school that the old madman had left seven centuries ago, never to return."

-Pointing towards the horizon-

"Guess they forgot to tell them that."

Belac93
2015-08-17, 03:10 AM
"Y'know, when we were still little 'uns, they told us in temple-school that the old madman had left seven centuries ago, never to return."

-Pointing towards the horizon-

"Guess they forgot to tell them that."

-Hathoger, chief Nessa guard. Talking to Queen Amalia in the year 2739, later known as: "The year of Death's overtime."

"Drive them back to were they came! Protect the queen!"

IZ42
2015-08-17, 12:14 PM
-Taal N'zaa, High Captain of the Royal Guard of the Eastern Holy Empire, attacked by Guerilla forces in Nessa.

'What is magic but a tool for those who would seek power?'

JNAProductions
2015-08-17, 12:22 PM
'What is magic but a tool for those who would seek power?'

-Guardian Talla of the Ziguranth, an organization of mage-hunters

"Once it happened, twice attempted. But never again. We stop it at the source."

Eldan
2015-08-17, 12:34 PM
"Once it happened, twice attempted. But never again. We stop it at the source."
-Merkal Sha, Captain of the Third Voyage across the Sea

"The Unnamed Lord stood between a Carrion Bird and a White Serpent, dancing the Dance of Seven Crowns on the petals of a peach blossom. "The Soul", they said, "is a fire, fueled by the kindness of others. Its light shows the imperfection of the world. Only those who quench this fire in tears can walk in the shadows without breaking."

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-08-18, 04:15 AM
"The Unnamed Lord stood between a Carrion Bird and a White Serpent, dancing the Dance of Seven Crowns on the petals of a peach blossom. "The Soul", they said, "is a fire, fueled by the kindness of others. Its light shows the imperfection of the world. Only those who quench this fire in tears can walk in the shadows without breaking."

- From the Creed Tenebrous, Book 4: The Truth In Shadow.

"This is the Imperial and Royal Ship Iliana's Embrace. Stand down immediately or we shall conduct Aerial Diplomacy. You will cease your nonsense at once, I repeat, at once."

ReaderAt2046
2015-08-22, 03:29 PM
"This is the Imperial and Royal Ship Iliana's Embrace. Stand down immediately or we shall conduct Aerial Diplomacy. You will cease your nonsense at once, I repeat, at once."

The Imperial and Royal Ship Iliana's Embrace, third of the seven Extortionator- class skyships commissioned by Queen Amalia of the Emerald City.

The trick to fighting shimmerlings is that, obviously, they aren't real. Therefore, you cannot fight them with swords of steel or arcane fire. Though the fate of those they Rend is all too real, they are imaginary enemies, and thus can only be harmed by imaginary weapons. If you suspect that there are shimmerlings in the area, you must lay up stockpiles of children's wooden toy swords and drill your soldiers on throwing sock bombs, shooting scrunchies, and similar methods of pseudo-warfare. Alternately, simply draft whatever children you may have on hand, as this is probably faster.

Jurai
2015-08-22, 03:37 PM
The trick to fighting shimmerlings is that, obviously, they aren't real. Therefore, you cannot fight them with swords of steel or arcane fire. Though the fate of those they Rend is all too real, they are imaginary enemies, and thus can only be harmed by imaginary weapons. If you suspect that there are shimmerlings in the area, you must lay up stockpiles of children's wooden toy swords and drill your soldiers on throwing sock bombs, shooting scrunchies, and similar methods of pseudo-warfare. Alternately, simply draft whatever children you may have on hand, as this is probably faster.

Codex Sylvanus, on Shimmerlings.

"Why, dear Carvahall, should I surrender? My men far outnumber theirs and are far better trained and equipped. These rabble are nothing more than ants attempting to ruin my picnic, and I have no love for vermin."

spikeof2010
2015-08-29, 08:03 PM
Codex Sylvanus, on Shimmerlings.

"Why, dear Carvahall, should I surrender? My men far outnumber theirs and are far better trained and equipped. These rabble are nothing more than ants attempting to ruin my picnic, and I have no love for vermin."

Allhovari Vinceh, Lord of the House of Burchil

"Expect me to come back again. You haven't seen the lower existences until you've met my blade, you pathetic heathen."

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-08-30, 06:15 AM
"Expect me to come back again. You haven't seen the lower existences until you've met my blade, you pathetic heathen."

Riker Garrosh, addressing King Talisker of Glengoyne's horse, Glitterhoof, after losing his duel with it.

"You remember it. You remember every bit of it. Because people are going to be talking about this day long after we are dead and gone."

ReaderAt2046
2015-09-03, 05:48 PM
"You remember it. You remember every bit of it. Because people are going to be talking about this day long after we are dead and gone."

Ashlon Pentfor, Baron Carvahall, to his son Mensco. Mensco would be discovered hidden in a bolt-hole in Tor Burchill three weeks later, after the Tenebrous cultists had sacked the city and departed.

There is nothing like a good game of Dawn's Candles to reveal who and what you truly are. The other day, for example, my daughter violated the Taboo of Triangles during a close match. Nobody had seen her do it, but when she realized what she'd done she called touchback on herself. Moreover, it turned out that that one docked point turned what would have been a narrow victory by her into a tie with her younger brother. He won the tiebreaker round at pretzel over rutabaga, so that one act of honesty lost her the match. Gained her something far more valuable, though, at least in my opinion.

Molemanking
2015-09-03, 08:54 PM
There is nothing like a good game of Dawn's Candles to reveal who and what you truly are. The other day, for example, my daughter violated the Taboo of Triangles during a close match. Nobody had seen her do it, but when she realized what she'd done she called touchback on herself. Moreover, it turned out that that one docked point turned what would have been a narrow victory by her into a tie with her younger brother. He won the tiebreaker round at pretzel over rutabaga, so that one act of honesty lost her the match. Gained her something far more valuable, though, at least in my opinion.

Father Edmund Everlight, Priest of the Spell Lord and Headmaster of the Mercy's Gift Orphanage.

You think my magic is any more unnatural than the whim of your gods? I merely make use of something that would have just been buried or burned anyway. The dead are still dead under my power, I simply puppet their remains to perform tasks on my behalf. But your gods? Simply slip them some coin and a prayer and you'll see the dead returned as though nothing happened. That is what I detest about your kind, you refuse to see the hypocrisy of it all.

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-09-04, 07:20 AM
You think my magic is any more unnatural than the whim of your gods? I merely make use of something that would have just been buried or burned anyway. The dead are still dead under my power, I simply puppet their remains to perform tasks on my behalf. But your gods? Simply slip them some coin and a prayer and you'll see the dead returned as though nothing happened. That is what I detest about your kind, you refuse to see the hypocrisy of it all.

Jake Tinderwick, leader of the Second Arcane Right, at the Desecration of Yuvata.

"You asked us to give you the eyes of an eagle, and so we did. The beak and the feathers are free."

Jurai
2015-09-04, 07:32 AM
Afara Izamar, Shamaness of White Thunder Clan, to Allhovar Vinceh's best general.

"Sire, these 'rabble' have one thing to say to you."

"And what might that be, fool?"

"You are nothing now. Not a lord, not a peasant, nothing but dust in the wind."

Justicar
2015-09-04, 07:49 PM
~Eidel Schwartz, Grand Inquisitor of the Court Tenebrous to Ashlon Pentfor, Baron of Carvahall after sacking the city

"Everything seeks freedom. The wind, the sea, the wind beasts, but especially magic. There is nothing that can truly master or contain it.

Alpha Rodnick, the First Arcane Right Leader
Admiral-Dictator Eidel Schwartz
Afara Izamar, Shamaness of White Thunder Clan
Allhovar Vinceh
Allhovari Vinceh, Lord of the House of Burchil
Alukax, the first Harbinger of the Second Plane
Alzan Barul, Cibomancer of the Tarbean Dominion
Angus McPherson, Witch-General of the First Legion of the Krieger army
Ashlon Pentfor, Baron of Carvahall
Baramos and his erudite alter ego, Baravos
Bard-Priest Nira Hornsmith of the fire goddess Tanoia
Carrida Thon
Cavalier Captain Rodrick, retired
Dalendo the Stitched, Captain of the City Guard in the city of Steamspire
Don Fische of the Gnome Mafia
Elteier, former knight of Nessa, current leader of the Firescourged mercenaries
Emilios tu Varanos, Rat King of Talakhan, defender of the Kingdom
Enot, the Sunforger
Father Edmund Everlight, Priest of the Spell Lord and Headmaster of the Mercy's Gift Orphanage
Felix of Fereign Forest
Fell Knight Ridley
Fey Knight Varadros Allazzar
General Leonart of the Golden Legions
General Phento
General Providence Arndelford of the Free People
Gorrandiun Alle, Sage
Guardian Talla of the Ziguranth
Hamish Greenthumb
Haros Almazra, Knight Commander of the Agrarian Guard
Hathoger, chief Nessa guard
Hector DeBrewlidard, High Priest of "Bloody" Claxnax
Itanan Bladescorn
Jake Tinderwick, self proclaimed "Wisdom Wizard" and Leader leader of the Second Arcane Right
Julya, pre-teen citizen of Adalla (later axiomancer-in-training)
Karolus Xavir IV the Decadent
Karolus Xavir VI
Karolus Xavir VII, Emperor of the Tarbean Dominion
Killian Anglerstrangler
King Amelhan XV
King Iop
King Talisker
Kirranah Berribuckle, Owner of the Mystic Magister
Kt'zk Kt'gvan, a jinn trapped within an ancient clay spittoon
Lazlo Skeiner
Lib Hourglass-Wielder, Archwizard of the Crimson Towers
Lord Salvadore Perissus
Magnus the Magnificent, rogue alchemist and artificer of Groogalorian descent
Melior the Grim
Mensco Pentfor
Merkal Sha, Captain of the Third Voyage across the Sea
Michael the Seer
Omar Garrosh, GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER!
Prince Rigel of the Dust
Princess Ima
Queen Amalia of the Emerald City
Queen Golinian II
Queen Oma
Raza, Low Magus of Vorad
Riker Garrosh, madman prophet
Rizael, the Divine Lactomancer
Skrillan, the Undead Theurge of the Umbra
Sual, adventurer extraordinaire
Tavain the Omnicidal (previously Tavain the Heroic)
Tellurian the Unsung, Folk Hero of the Little Dales
The Acolyte of Varadosh
The Umbra, Vigilante of Yuvata
Thork the Ogre
Uluthak Darenkas
Urban Druid Ki'aanu Rihvs
Valzadaim, Wyrm of the East
Varadros Allazzar, Fey Knight Of Winter
Vazak'ti, Shaman of Black Storm Clan
Vilskar Hrimskr, Mountain-King of the Gornwast Barbarians
Vorad VII, the Damned
Wesley Garrosh, Riker Garrosh' rebellious brother and the Sultan of Beggars in Yuvata
Yavadr'samaxi, Blade Dragon
Adalla
Bulford
Empire of Valtara
Little Dales
Nessa
Suzerainty of Yuvata
Talakhan
Tarbean Dominion
Black Storm Clan
Drow
Gornwast Barbarians
Groogalorian
Jungle Tribes of Ferric
Talorians
Voradorsh
Vorgu'nosh
White Thunder Clan
Winter Fae
Black Dunes of Barza Daros
City of Steamspire
Emerald City
Fereign Forest
Hall of Cephalophores
High Sun Tavern
Jungles of Ferric
Mercy's Gift Orphanage
Mirrored Halls of Tam-Shorath
Mount Terrador
Mountains of Heridor
Mystic Magister
Outer Gates of the Far Realms
Plains of Atallah
Tor Burchill
Agrarian Guard
At least three iterations of the Arcane Rights
Black Riders
Court Tenebrous
Firescourged Mercenaries
First Legion of the Krieger army
Gnome Mafia
Golden Legions
House of Burchil
Luminar Knights of the Occult Shine
Seer of Olkhembo
Talakhan Parliament of Rats
The Free People
Transhumanist Society
Wizards of the Crimson Towers
Ziguranth, an organization of mage-hunters
Claxnax
Luminar
Iliana, goddess of love
Outsiders (Atarka World-Render and Night's Sorrow)
Spell Lord
Tanoia, fire goddess
Varadosh
Three Gods (either some or none of the above)
Battle-Tested, Inorganic Firmament Familiar, or B.I.F.F
Glengoyne's horse, Glitterhoof
Jinns
Magnus's sentient dog, Spot
Riker's pet lizard, Fluffy
Sand Elementals
Shimmerlings
Warbeasts of Nessa
At least four events called a Voyage Across the Sea
At least three Gornwast-Krieger Wars
Battle of Baskhal
Culling of the Three Gods' clergy
Fall of the Court Tenebrous
Genocide of the Talorians
Tenebrous cultists sack of Carvahall
The Desecration of Yuvata
The Invasion of Nessa
The Year of Death's Overtime
7 Conscripts of the Sanctified Lords
Codex Sylvanus
The Creed Tenebrous, Book 4: The Truth In Shadow
The Doomsday Iphil
The Lives and Times of the Blind Yeoman
The Winderkind Elves
Threats Transcending Borders, a treatise written for all kingdoms
Ancient clay spittoon Jinn-trap
Game of Dawn's Candles
Garrosh's Honeymoon Carriage
Imperial and Royal Ship Iliana's Embrace, third of the seven Extortionator-class skyships
Magnus' Potion of Clarity
Thork's magical frying pan

ReaderAt2046
2015-09-04, 08:03 PM
"Everything seeks freedom. The wind, the sea, the wind beasts, but especially magic. There is nothing that can truly master or contain it."

The opening lines of the speech given each year by Jaya Ballard, Mistress Anarchomancer, to her novice acolytes.

There is power in abandon, but far more in control.

Justicar
2015-09-04, 09:22 PM
The opening lines of the speech given each year by Jaya Ballard, Mistress Anarchomancer, to her novice acolytes.

There is power in abandon, but far more in control.

~Alpha Rodnick, former Anarchomancer, at the founding of the First Arcane Right

"Fear is always the answer"

JNAProductions
2015-09-04, 10:05 PM
"Fear is always the answer"

-Jason Irons, famed coward

"Fear not the enemy-fear me."

ReaderAt2046
2015-09-12, 08:12 PM

Thog, Orcish Warboss.

Manipulation is at the heart of every social interaction. When two old friends sit down and swap stories, what are they doing but trying to manipulate each other into being impressed? When a man grooms himself and dons fine clothes to speak with a woman, is he not seeking to manipulate her into regarding him more favorably? Society is a tissue of manipulations. All that sets those like me apart is that we're a little more honest about what we are doing. We also do have a certain...advantage. But is it really that much more potent than a charismatic personality or fine teeth? I think not.

spikeof2010
2015-09-12, 08:49 PM

-Rook Garook, Now Deceased Amateur Impersonator.

"You have your day of the stars, and then you have the falling of the night, the day of the nobles."

Do you think someone could index important locations, events, characters and such in a seperate thread?

RogueishScholar
2015-09-12, 08:51 PM
Big list of things so far incoming!

Alpha Rodnick, First Arcane Right Leader & Founder
Cavalier Captain Rodrick
Seer of Olkhembo, Age 1239
Alukax, first Harbinger of the Second Plane
Lord Salvadore Perissus, wealthy patron of the Fourth Voyage Across the Sea
Vilskar Hrimskr, Mountain King of the Gornwast Barbarians
Vorad VII, the Damned
Lib Hourglass, Wielder, Archwizard of the Crimson Towers
Melior the Grim
Kirranah Berribuckle, Owner of the Mystic Magister
Jake Tinderwick, self-proclaimed "Wisdom Wizard," well-known psychopath, and Leader of the Second Arcane Right
Yavadr'samaxi, Blade Dragon
Tellurian the Unsung, Folk Hero of the Little Dales (known to be tired of the local nobility)
Forsalkian Knight (participated in the Genocide of the Talorians)
Talorian Lord of the Ether
Elteier, former Knight of Nessa, now leader of the Firescourged Mercenaries
Magnus the Magnificent, rogue alchemist and artificer of Groogalgorian descent
Tavian the Omnicidal, formerly known as Tavian the Heroic
Baramos and his erudite alter ego Baravos, both of whom participated in the Battle of Baskhal
Fell Knight Ridley of the Empire of Valtara
Julya, former pre-teen citizen of Adalla, now teen-aged axiomancer-in-training
Riker Garrosh, madman prophet and adventurer, owner of Fluffy, his pet lizard
Lady-General of Talakhan
Emilios tu Varanos, wererat, Rat King of Talakhan, defender of the kingdom
King Amelhan XV
Queen Golinian II
Sual, adventurer extraordinaire
Omar Garrosh, GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER!
The Umbra, Vigilante of Yuvata
Spot, Magnus the Magnificent's sentient dog
Wesley Garrosh, Riker Garrosh's rebellious brother, renowned morning-hater, and Sultan of Beggers in Yuvata
Iliana, local goddess of love
Skrillan, the Undead Theurge of the Umbra
Killian Anglerstrangler
Don Fische of the Gnome Mafia
Bard-Priest Nira Hornsmith of the fire goddess Tanoia
Tanoia, fire goddess
Lord-Cleric of Gl'morshapa
Lazlo Skeiner
The many (often confused) companions of Riker Garrosh, various occasions
Karolus Xavir VII, Emporer of the Tarbean Dominion, estranged brother to Magnus the Magnificent, also known as "Karolus the Decadent" for his legendary accumulation of wealth and luxuries
General Leonart of the Golden Legions
Fey Knight of Winter Varadoros Allazzar, traveling companion of Riker Garrosh before their paths separated
Acolyte of Varadosh [Ed.- Voradorsh?]
Alzan Barul, Cibomancer of the Tarbean Dominion
Queen Oma and her daughter, Princess Ima
Carrida Thon
Haros Almazra, Knight Commander of the Agrarian Guard
Ki'aanu Rihvs, Urban Druid
Angus McPherson, Witch-General of the First Legion of the Krieger army
Itanan Bladescorn and his axewife
Rikter Garrosh, hater of cats
General Phento, victim of a sand elemental attack
Vazak'ti, Shaman of the Black Storm Clan
Atarka World-Render, titan, destroyed by all Gods working as one in its destruction
Night's Sorrow, outsider, whose touch cannot be fully eradicated from the multiverse
Karolus Xavir VI, whose death quickly followed his first words as Emporer of the Tarbean Dominion
Gnomish salesman under the influence of Night's Sorrow
Hamish Greenthumb, gardener in Bulford, once teleported to the throne room of the Tarbean Emporers
General Providence Arndelford of the Free People
Gorrandiun Alle, great Sage
Valzadaim, Wyrm of the East, teacher
Liminar Knight of the Occult Shrine
Prince Rigel of the Dust
Thork the Ogre
Michael the Seer
Uluthak Darenkas
Enot, the Sunforger
Felix of Fereign Forest
Queen Amalia of the Emerald City circa 2739
King Iop circa 2739
Raza, Low Magus of Vorad
Rizael, the Divine Lactomancer, known to be a few carriages short of a caravan
Bloody Claxnax, deity
Hector DeBrewlidard, High Priest of "Bloody" Claxnax
Kt'xk Kt'gvan, a jinn trapped within an ancient clay spittoon
Admiral-Dictator Eidel Schwartz
Dalendo the Stitched, Captain of the City Guard of Steamspire, and sometime reanimated corpse
Hathoger, chief Nessa guard circa 2739
Taal N'zaa, high Captain of the Royal Guard of the Eastern Holy Empire
Guardian Talla of the Ziguranth
Merkal Sha, Captain of the Third Voyage Across the Sea
The Imperial and Royal Ship Iliana's Embrace, 3rd of the 7 Extortionator-class skyships commissioned by Queen Amalia of the Emerald City
Shimmerlings, monsters born of the imagination
Allhovari Vinceh, Lord of the house of Burchil
King Talisker of Glengoyne and his horse, Glitterhoof
Ashlon Pentfor, Baron Carvahall
Baron Carvahall's son, Mensco
Father Edmund Everlight, Priest of the Spell Lord and Headmaster of the Mercy's Gift Orphanage
Afara Izamar, Shamaness of the White Thunder Clan
Jaya Ballard, Mistress Anarchomancer
Jason Irons, famed Coward
Rook Garook, Now Deceased Amateur Impersonator

Transhumanist Society
First and Second Arcane Right
Vorgu'nosh
House G'kal
New Heaven
Court Tenebrous
Cavaliers
Gornwast Barbarians
Kriegers
Crimson Towers
Firescourged Mercenaries
Jungle tribes of Ferric
the Umbra
Gl'morshapah
Tarbean Dominion/Dynasty
Golden Legions
Talakhan Parliament of Rats
the Agrarian Guard
Black Storm Clan
the Black Riders, the elite troops of the Winter Fae
the Ziguranth, an Organization of mage-hunters
White Thunder Clan

Empire of Valtara
Suzerainty of Yuvata
Klendagon
Nessa
Voradorsh
Mirrored Halls of Tam'Shorath
Mystic Magister (store)
Little Dales
Adalla
Jungles of Ferric
Elemental Citadel of Fire
Black dunes of Barza Daros
Bulford
Mount Terrador
the Occult Shrine
Fereign Forest
High Sun Tavern
Vorad
Glengoyne
Tor Burchill
Mercy's Gift Orphanage

The Seven conscripts of the Sanctified Lords
Journal of Noranon, Acolyte of the Myst Disciples of Klendagon
"The Lives and Times of the Blind Yeoman"
Jake Tinderwick's recipe for a potion that promotes hair growth, and exerpt from his book
Threats Transcending Borders by Wesley Garrosh, a treatise written for all kingdoms
The Winderkind Elves, a book by Gorrandium Alle
The Doomsday Iphil
Raza's journal of amusing nonsenses, palatitudes, and half-heard conversation
Creed Tenebrous, Book 4: The Truth in Shadow
Codex Sylvanus

At least three Gornwast-Krieger Wars
Invasion of Nessa by Voradorsh sappers
at least four expeditions entitled Voyage Across the Sea
tavern conversation about underestimating wizards cornered in their studies
attempted Peace Council of the Third Gornwast-Krieger War
Execution of Irnbjald Flagonsmasher for crimes against Nessa
Genocide of the Talorians
Tavian the Omnicidal's slaying of the entire clergies of three gods
Battle of Baskhal
Debut of Magnus the Magnificent's "Wizard's Battle-Tested, Inorganic Firmament Familiar, or B.I.F.F."
The Fall of Fell Kight Ridley of the Empire of Valtara
Magnus' creation of the Wizard's New Pet, considered to be more dangerous than any four young dragons
The turning and crowning of wererat Emilios tu Varanos as Rat King
Wesley Garrosh's disowning of Riker Garrosh, following a debate between Riker and Magnus the Magnificent
the attempted capturing of Riker Garrosh by a drow slaver
Expulsion of all foreign diplomats by the Tarbean dynasty
Sacking of the Hall of Cephalophores during the First Gornwast-Krieger War
The defeat of Itanan Bladescorn at the hands of the axewife, who went on to have three children with him
Julya's discovery of the academy headmaster's secret collusion with the Tarbean Dominion, thus undermining their defenses in the subsequent war
The flooding of the entire Plains of Atallah, achieved single-handedly by Magnus the Magnificent, Viewed by Vazak'ti, Shaman of Black Storm Clan
Riker Garrosh's long year of drinking after losing his wife
Fall of the Court Tenebrous to the Second Arcane Right
Riker's tracking down of the assassin that blew up Garrosh's Honeymoon Carriage
Attack of Guerilla forces in Nessa against the Eastern Holy Empire
Riker Garrosh's duel with the horse Glitterhoof
The sacking of Tor Burchill by Tenebrous cultists
The desecration of Yuvata

Age 1239
Year 2739, later known as "The year of Death's overtime"

RogueishScholar
2015-09-13, 02:01 PM
Manipulation is at the heart of every social interaction. When two old friends sit down and swap stories, what are they doing but trying to manipulate each other into being impressed? When a man grooms himself and dons fine clothes to speak with a woman, is he not seeking to manipulate her into regarding him more favorably? Society is a tissue of manipulations. All that sets those like me apart is that we're a little more honest about what we are doing. We also do have a certain...advantage. But is it really that much more potent than a charismatic personality or fine teeth? I think not.

-Exerpt from The Face of Iliana: How it can be Yours, a book that sold many copies to would-be suitors before an orthodox sect of the Church of Iliana called for a mass burning of the book.

"You have your day of the stars, and then you have the falling of the night, the day of the nobles."

-Engraving above the door to the Emporer's throne room of the Tarbean Dominion

"Oh yes... Oh gods yes."

Should I just copy and paste my last post into a new thread for the index?

Prince Zahn
2015-09-13, 03:32 PM
"Oh yes... Oh gods yes."

Should I just copy and paste my last post into a new thread for the index?
–A slogan for of the infamousul spiritual freedom campaign, "doummemvivre". Coined circa-year 1762, following the imprisonment of a local pastor who began to worship inanimate objects. Though the man was murdered soon after by his cellmate, and his name and records disappeared, he sparked an era of animistic extremist worship that set technological and magical innovation back for decades.

"When I reach the moon, I will name the first star I can find in your honor. Thus I swear."

I read only your above two posts and you instantly became an idol in my eyes. The foresight and organization (and effort!) To do all that is uncanny! RoguishScholar, You are amazing.

JNAProductions
2015-09-13, 05:16 PM
"When I reach the moon, I will name the first star I can find in your honor. Thus I swear."

-Turnball Wright, the first known lich

"Why of course, milady-if you're willing to pay the price."

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-09-14, 06:18 AM
-Turnball Wright, the first known lich

"Why of course, milady-if you're willing to pay the price."

Magnus the Magnificent to Grand Axiomancer Julya of Adalla, vis a vis an unknown request concerning the latter's dog.

"Trust? Trust's got nothing to do with it. I just don't want the bastards out of my sight."

Jendekit
2015-09-14, 10:37 PM
Magnus the Magnificent to Grand Axiomancer Julya of Adalla, vis a vis an unknown request concerning the latter's dog.

"Trust? Trust's got nothing to do with it. I just don't want the bastards out of my sight."

Too many people to count about Riker and any number of his siblings when more than one Garrosh were in the vicinity.

"When I was a little boy, there was this recurring nightmare I'd have. I'd be looking at a cage, and inside was some king of monster constantly trying to get out. It didn't have any physical features that I could see, not even a silhouette, but all the same I just knew that if the monster escaped its cage nothing short of its destruction would ever stop it from hurting people.

"I had that dream for most of my childhood and a good part of my teens. I stopped having it when I was fourteen. One night I was in the middle of it, when something happened that hadn't before. I walked closer to the cage and for the first time I got a good, horrifying look at the monster. It was me.

"The monster is still here with me, but don't worry. I have had long practice in keeping it locked up. All the same, there's a reason I don't leave this mountaintop."

ReaderAt2046
2015-09-15, 07:07 AM
Too many people to count about Riker and any number of his siblings when more than one Garrosh were in the vicinity.

"When I was a little boy, there was this recurring nightmare I'd have. I'd be looking at a cage, and inside was some king of monster constantly trying to get out. It didn't have any physical features that I could see, not even a silhouette, but all the same I just knew that if the monster escaped its cage nothing short of its destruction would ever stop it from hurting people.

"I had that dream for most of my childhood and a good part of my teens. I stopped having it when I was fourteen. One night I was in the middle of it, when something happened that hadn't before. I walked closer to the cage and for the first time I got a good, horrifying look at the monster. It was me.

"The monster is still here with me, but don't worry. I have had long practice in keeping it locked up. All the same, there's a reason I don't leave this mountaintop."

Feternath, Eye of Night's Sorrow.

If grass were short,
And trees were tall
As in some crazy tale
If azure sky
Stretched over all
And boats on water sailed

Then indeed could I believe
Javeh my sins once bore
For in world of wonders vast
What is one wonder more?

spikeof2010
2015-09-18, 12:35 PM
Feternath, Eye of Night's Sorrow.

If grass were short,
And trees were tall
As in some crazy tale
If azure sky
Stretched over all
And boats on water sailed

Then indeed could I believe
Javeh my sins once bore
For in world of wonders vast
What is one wonder more?
Oerta Bound, a poem by the Prophet of Ablehammi

"Turn your heads at the horrible abomination thst is the city of Muz'dahim!"

JNAProductions
2015-09-18, 01:01 PM
"Turn your heads at the horrible abomination that is the city of Muz'dahim!"

Muz'dahim, the living city.

"Come inside, for you are cold and weary."

spikeof2010
2015-09-18, 10:43 PM
Muz'dahim, the living city.

"Come inside, for you are cold and weary."

Rheshodia Faskoin, Owner of the Brew and Brine in Northern Weskadoskia

"War is a result of Power and Ownership, this isn't a war, this is a slaughter."

Eldan
2015-09-19, 05:42 PM
"War is a result of Power and Ownership, this isn't a war, this is a slaughter."

Selgar Pentfor-Aesh, Third Baron of Carvahall-in-Exile

"As I see it, "Garrosh" is as much a concept as it is the name of a person. This becomes more clear if one considers a few facts. No one knows, exactly, how many people named "Garrosh" there are. Their names, their personalities, and what they look like is inconsistent, as far as I could determine in my studies. They have been seen from black-crowned Terrador to Valtara, from Ferric to Adalla. Even when they live or lived is uncertain, they have, after all, fought in all three Gornwast-Krieger Wars, have fought both with and against the Court Tenebrous before it fell, they were at the battles of Bashkall and Talor and Iata. Events thousands of years apart, on both sides of the veil, in shadow and in light.

Things become clearer, I think, if one considers a concept from very old southern mythology, from before the dunes swallowed Barzata and Dar: the Hollow Hero. As the Barzan believed, the gods would create a mortal shell and take turns incorporating into it, to interact with the world. The same shell could appear across times and dimensions. A shell always had a similar personaliy, but they were more like the same character played by different actors, with subtle differences. There were nine shells, they thought, and only six were known, with three yet to come.

Yes. I firmly believe Riker Garrosh is a joke the gods play on us.

Jurai
2015-09-19, 05:49 PM
"As I see it, "Garrosh" is as much a concept as it is the name of a person. This becomes more clear if one considers a few facts. No one knows, exactly, how many people named "Garrosh" there are. Their names, their personalities, and what they look like is inconsistent, as far as I could determine in my studies. They have been seen from black-crowned Terrador to Valtara, from Ferric to Adalla. Even when they live or lived is uncertain, they have, after all, fought in all three Gornwast-Krieger Wars, have fought both with and against the Court Tenebrous before it fell, they were at the battles of Bashkall and Talor and Iata. Events thousands of years apart, on both sides of the veil, in shadow and in light.

Things become clearer, I think, if one considers a concept from very old southern mythology, from before the dunes swallowed Barzata and Dar: the Hollow Hero. As the Barzan believed, the gods would create a mortal shell and take turns incorporating into it, to interact with the world. The same shell could appear across times and dimensions. A shell always had a similar personaliy, but they were more like the same character played by different actors, with subtle differences. There were nine shells, they thought, and only six were known, with three yet to come.

Yes. I firmly believe Riker Garrosh is a joke the gods play on us.

A well-researched pamphlet by Toyin Zakat, called Hollow Heroes and Divine Drollery. Toyin was last seen hanging from the steeple of the Temple of Tarakat for heresy.

"These days, I wonder if the world will ever see peace, much less my ledgers see red ink."

JNAProductions
2015-09-19, 05:52 PM
"These days, I wonder if the world will ever see peace, much less my ledgers see red ink."

Vestin Fischer, war-profiteer of the Jundland Wastes

"When I said 'look out for number one', I meant me!"

So would anyone consider running a game based in this world? I'd play if it's 5E or some free system online, because I like this world.

Eldan
2015-09-19, 06:23 PM
The last words of Vestin Fischer, War profiteur.

When last I set
My foot on sand
And set my eye
Upon that land -
Where shadows breed
And mirrors break,
Where grows no seed
In winter's wake -
There was not yet
All hope forlorn
And those now dead
Had not been born.

When now I set
My foot down there,
Where none may live,
And souls lie bare,
My eye sees nought
But blood and sand,
Where once we thought
Could be our land.

If I return,
In future days,
And brave again
Her dreadful gaze,
My only cause
Can be her death,
To be pursued
With every breath.

'Cause I will know
What She suspects:
That is not dead
Which yet reflects.

spikeof2010
2015-09-20, 01:46 AM
The last words of Vestin Fischer, War profiteur.

When last I set
My foot on sand
And set my eye
Upon that land -
Where shadows breed
And mirrors break,
Where grows no seed
In winter's wake -
There was not yet
All hope forlorn
And those now dead
Had not been born.

When now I set
My foot down there,
Where none may live,
And souls lie bare,
My eye sees nought
But blood and sand,
Where once we thought
Could be our land.

If I return,
In future days,
And brave again
Her dreadful gaze,
My only cause
Can be her death,
To be pursued
With every breath.

'Cause I will know
What She suspects:
That is not dead
Which yet reflects.

"My Journey To An Island Unknown" by Penning Dantlefol, navigator of the Royal Ruby Fleet for Astrodoria

"If you happened to find yourself to look up into the skies for answers, you will not find one, for the gods do not reside there. That was their former shelter, and they have found somewhere else to live. Somewhere far away."

Maybe if someone did a 3.5e or PF game I'd be down with it.

Eldan
2015-09-20, 06:00 AM
Is there really enough, yet, to make a game of? We have a lot of names, but only very little idea what most of them are.

ReaderAt2046
2015-09-20, 11:34 AM
"My Journey To An Island Unknown" by Penning Dantlefol, navigator of the Royal Ruby Fleet for Astrodoria

"If you happened to find yourself to look up into the skies for answers, you will not find one, for the gods do not reside there. That was their former shelter, and they have found somewhere else to live. Somewhere far away."

Jake Tinderwick, Leader of the Second Arcane Right.

By cheese and chocolate and powdered sugar I call you! By flour and frosting I bind you! By the Name I command you! Do as I have bade you!

JNAProductions
2015-09-20, 11:37 AM
By cheese and chocolate and powdered sugar I call you! By flour and frosting I bind you! By the Name I command you! Do as I have bade you!

Chief Anduriel of the Baker's Guild, summoning a Venerable Pretzelclad Breadnaught to lead his army.

"Sir, the approaching army... It's us!"

Jurai
2015-09-20, 01:39 PM
"Sir, the approaching army... It's us!"

Mage-Commander Forseti Lamarck, with regards to the forces of the illusionist Idris Conant.

"MORE MUSTARD THAN HONEY, MEN! FIRE!"

JNAProductions
2015-09-20, 01:43 PM
"MORE MUSTARD THAN HONEY, MEN! FIRE!"

Marquis Prince Ellington, viscount Ellington's son, in his favorite pastime of "Table Warfare". His nanny was not pleased.

"I confess!"

spikeof2010
2015-09-20, 03:00 PM
Marquis Prince Ellington, viscount Ellington's son, in his favorite pastime of "Table Warfare". His nanny was not pleased.

"I confess!"

Axxege, Rotal Automaton, confessing to the Rotalese Court about violating the Automatic Code 187.

"These beings, they are not beings of soul, as we are, they are artificial. You ask us to give rights to them? You're asking us to give rights to a hunk of metal, and what's next? A bunch of rocks? Come stand with me, gentlemen, let not the general populous sway you in letting these heathens to the great Lord Askali get in the way of what is right!"

RogueishScholar
2015-09-20, 09:06 PM
"These beings, they are not beings of soul, as we are, they are artificial. You ask us to give rights to them? You're asking us to give rights to a hunk of metal, and what's next? A bunch of rocks? Come stand with me, gentlemen, let not the general populous sway you in letting these heathens to the great Lord Askali get in the way of what is right!"

Maylin, High Priest of Askali, whose sermon on the front lawn of the Rotalese Court sparked localized riots and protests. Most warforged fled the country, but some stayed and were driven into the slums.

"What is this you ask of me? SPEAK! ...Oh, never mind. It was probably foolish anyway."

Jurai
2015-09-20, 09:09 PM
Maylin, High Priest of Askali, whose sermon on the front lawn of the Rotalese Court sparked localized riots and protests. Most warforged fled the country, but some stayed and were driven into the slums.

"What is this you ask of me? SPEAK! ...Oh, never mind. It was probably foolish anyway."

Ricard Arcas, half-dragon mage-knight of Rotal, spoken to Riker Garrosh. The brawl would go down in Rotal history for taking out half the royal palace and ending in a draw.

"Come to me, Lord of Falsehood, Caller of Deception, reveal to these foolish mortals that all truth is naught but a lie with consensus."

JNAProductions
2015-09-20, 09:12 PM
"Come to me, Lord of Falsehood, Caller of Deception, reveal to these foolish mortals that all truth is naught but a lie with consensus."

A mysterious voice, spoken at high noon in the Emerald City from no visible source. Dubbed 'The One', 'The Speaker', and 'The Mighty' among other names.

"It's you? You're Ice Men? You're pathetic!"

kopout
2015-09-20, 11:07 PM
"It's you? You're Ice Men? You're pathetic!"
Climactic plot twist from the best selling pulp novel Terror of the Ice Men

" Against any but Varanos' rat-hoards, 90% enemy casualties would be a victory."

spikeof2010
2015-09-21, 01:44 AM
Climactic plot twist from the best selling pulp novel Terror of the Ice Men

" Against any but Varanos' rat-hoards, 90% enemy casualties would be a victory."

Sergei Forn, Vivianos General on the Age 1633 War of the Reshans

"Watch your back, my brother wants you dead."

ReaderAt2046
2015-09-21, 04:44 AM
Sergei Forn, Vivianos General on the Age 1633 War of the Reshans

"Watch your back, my brother wants you dead."

Riker Garrosh, to the Master Of Guards of Yuvata.

Some business of the Society of The Elegant Rose, or the Fraternal Brethren of Edgedancers, or possibly the Order Of The Oaken Pancake. I belong to a lot of secret societies, and they tend to get a bit mixed up.

spikeof2010
2015-09-21, 05:35 AM
Riker Garrosh, to the Master Of Guards of Yuvata.

Some business of the Society of The Elegant Rose, or the Fraternal Brethren of Edgedancers, or possibly the Order Of The Oaken Pancake. I belong to a lot of secret societies, and they tend to get a bit mixed up.

Charli Tenner, Street Name of Oblora the Thief

"I'm the one on top, I'm the one who rides history."

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-09-21, 06:49 AM
"I'm the one on top, I'm the one who rides history."

Elteier, styling himself Karolus Xavir XIII, Pretender Emperor of the Tarbean Dominion.

"Most of you were there at Traeth Beach. You all know what it's like to be driven into the sea. In a few hours, we're coming back from the sea. And this time, we're going to stay there. There's no time for any crying about Court, Home and Beauty, but remember our people have suffered for a century. They've earned their vengeance.

Let's give it to them."

Qwertystop
2015-09-21, 08:03 AM
I feel like this is never really going to fill out the setting beyond lots of little details, and having enough details to make a world without filling out the gaps between them will take forever. Does anyone have an idea for how to integrate that part into it?

Separately, I have a quote that seems like it's got to have a character behind it, but doesn't seem right for setting-building the way we're doing it (it's more of a quote from narration than from a character). Does anyone want to do a game in this setting where characters are made from exchanging quotes like that for ideas, to fit the setting theme?

Jurai
2015-09-21, 09:28 AM
"Most of you were there at Traeth Beach. You all know what it's like to be driven into the sea. In a few hours, we're coming back from the sea. And this time, we're going to stay there. There's no time for any crying about Court, Home and Beauty, but remember our people have suffered for a century. They've earned their vengeance.

Let's give it to them."

Knight-Meister Alma al Varan, Nymph of the Glorious Grove, within the Tarbean Dominion and noted sparring partner of Riker Garrosh.

"Black sand and silver death, white lies and golden outrage, that's all the court ever gives us sailors, boys, and we're not going to take it anymore."

Eldan
2015-09-21, 01:30 PM
How about we stop with the quotes and go to a kind of stage 2?

We could do a similar, but more descriptive format. We have a kind of feel for the setting now. Lots of wars and strange magics and twisted divinities and suffering. For the next step, how about we do something like this:

Poster 1 asks a question about the setting. "How was the Empire of Valtara founded?"
Poster 2: gives a short answer. "Odul the Great unified the five city states of the proto-Valtaran culture through diplomacy. His son, Ardan the Conqueror, used this power to conquer all the lands from the Shevra Strait to the foothills of the black mountains."

Jendekit
2015-09-21, 01:54 PM
How about we stop with the quotes and go to a kind of stage 2?

We could do a similar, but more descriptive format. We have a kind of feel for the setting now. Lots of wars and strange magics and twisted divinities and suffering. For the next step, how about we do something like this:

Poster 1 asks a question about the setting. "How was the Empire of Valtara founded?"
Poster 2: gives a short answer. "Odul the Great unified the five city states of the proto-Valtaran culture through diplomacy. His son, Ardan the Conqueror, used this power to conquer all the lands from the Shevra Strait to the foothills of the black mountains."

I'm up for it, so I'll start.

How did Muz'dahim, the living city, come to be?

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-09-21, 03:56 PM
I'm up for it, so I'll start.

How did Muz'dahim, the living city, come to be?

Precisely ninety-nine years and ninety-nine days after the city's destruction by the Second Arcane Right, Admiral-Dictator Eidel Schwartz enacted the Ritual of Hate Vindicated on it's ruins, sacrificing the souls of the long-dead inhabitants to create a weapon of terror with which to reforge the Court Tenebrous.

What exactly was Riker Garrosh the madman prophet of?

RogueishScholar
2015-09-21, 04:18 PM
Now that the thread is taking a more specific turn, I'm thinking of cleaning up the index thread. I'll alphabetize the list sections, for one. For the new info being added on to each individual/place/etc; do you guys think it would be better to start a new post with the histories or just edit them into the list posts?

JNAProductions
2015-09-21, 04:19 PM
Honestly, it might be time to start a new thread with the history in the first post.

Jurai
2015-09-21, 04:26 PM
Indeed. A new thread sounds good.

Qwertystop
2015-09-21, 04:40 PM
Yeah, that makes sense, so it's organized.

Belac93
2015-09-21, 07:20 PM
Whoever does it, make sure to post a link

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-09-22, 05:51 AM
I've posted the continuation thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444406-World-from-a-Question-Formerly-Quote-Based-now-Q-amp-A-Based-Worldbuilding&p=19853561#post19853561).