PDA

View Full Version : The world of Haven: expanding on an idea.

Silverscale
2015-03-21, 11:52 PM
This initial post is to gauge the interest of people for a project I have in mind.

At the author's permission, I am posting about the world in which an series of stories take place. For those that are interested the stories are "Elf boy and Friends" and "Elf boy's Friends" both written by George Gauthier. His work can be found on www.Nifty.org under the prolific authors section. Fair warning it is a gay/lesbian/bisexual erotica sight and these stories in particular are in the gay section so, yes they do include descriptions of gay sex. If you enjoy that sort of thing they're definitely a good read. If not you can still skim through the chapters to get an idea of the setting.

So far all the action of the stories has taken place on and around one of three large continents, though one of the other continents is mentioned a few times and some of the characters go do stuff there but that action all takes place "off camera"

The planet is called Haven and the continent where all the action takes place is Valentia. Most of the action takes place in and around The Commonwealth of the Long River.

There are four races of sentient humanoids; humans, elves, dwarves, and frost giants. All of whom have at least one magical gift such as calling light or a green thumb.

There are some magical beings such as War Wizards, Druids, and Unicorns who are more in tune with the magic of the world and have several often powerful magic abilities.

I will leave it here for now and if I see any interest in this setting I will post more later including disruptions directly from the stories.

-Silverscale

Silverscale
2015-04-03, 04:12 AM
Though this has gotten over 100 views it has yet to generate any response. Perhaps a bit more description of what is already in the stories an how I'm looking to expand those ideas.

As I previously mentioned, most everyone in the sentient races has at least on, often minor, magic gift that generally manifests around mid to late puberty. The most common gifts are a "Green Thumb" which obviously helps growing and maintaining plants. Others can "Call Light" generally a ball of light that follows the person around and persists with a little bit of concentration though more powerful casters are able to create lights that are bigger, brighter, and in some cases even stay in place once set with little to no concentration from the caster.

The third most common gift is "Unerring Direction" which gives the user exact direction, asmuthe, and angle to a known or seen target. Among other applications this has been put to use by archers to give them deadly accuracy or map making to allow for unobtrusive and fairly detailed map making. Much more accurate than a simple sketch without the need for a lot of obvious and labor intensive tools like the sextant.

Other less common gifts include "Fire-casting" which is exactly what it sounds like; setting things on fire, throwing fire balls, shooting streams of fire, etc. There is also "Fetching" which is basically telekinesis, so called because users can "fetch" thing to themselves but can also project them away or fling them about in any manner they can conceive of. For example one character is described as "fetching" the eyes right out of his opponents head as a distraction in battle. Another has a pair of metal spheres about the size of an orange or apple that he uses in his "Shadow-Boxing" technique to pummel his foes with unstoppable force.

Two other gifts recently described and presumably even less common than Fire-casting or Fetching, are Magnetism and Lightning/thunder. Both do the sorts of things you'd expect them to do. So far we've seen magnetism used to rip apart a pair of enemy ships by drawing out every bit of metal from swords and cannon balls all the way down to the nails. It even described the anchor come flying out until it hits another ship then slides down into the sea.

I also mentioned Druids and War Wizards, both seem to combine these and other gifts into one person with varying levels of control over various gifts. For example the main character of the first book is described as particularly good at manipulating plants but not as good at communicating with animals while the dwarf he trains with seems to have the opposite problem.

Currently War-Wizards are the only ones described as being able to manipulate water but I don't see why other people might not be "Water-casters"

My reason for posting this thread is to see what you guys can come up with as far as othe gifts that might be introduced and how to use them or other used that gifts I've already mentioned could be used.

PEACH. Thank you for your time and effort.
-Silverscale.