PDA

View Full Version : Can I take Improved Natural Attack on a Natural Attack form I will get LATER?

Ephemeral_Being
2015-03-22, 01:18 AM
The wording for INA is... not 100% clear. It says

The damage for one of the creature’s natural attack forms increases by one step,
Now, does that mean "one of the creature's existing natural attack forms," or "one of the creature's potential natural attack forms?"

My reason for asking is that Weapon Focus specifically precludes taking it for a weapon with which you are not proficient. But INA does not. Before I try to do so, though, I would like to be 100% clear that it is legal to take the feat before actually gaining access to the natural weapon you would like to augment (say, a Bite attack).

Crake
2015-03-22, 01:52 AM
The wording for INA is... not 100% clear. It says

Now, does that mean "one of the creature's existing natural attack forms," or "one of the creature's potential natural attack forms?"

My reason for asking is that Weapon Focus specifically precludes taking it for a weapon with which you are not proficient. But INA does not. Before I try to do so, though, I would like to be 100% clear that it is legal to take the feat before actually gaining access to the natural weapon you would like to augment (say, a Bite attack).

Well, i'm fairly sure druids can take it for their wild shape, which changes all the time, lending credence to what you want, however it does require that you at least have A natural attack, or at least have access to one, so a human druid still couldn't take improved natural attack before they got wildshape (bab +4 prerequisite aside, say they delayed their druid levels with fighter levels for some unfathomable reason). So if you see yourself getting a bite down the track, but at the moment you only have say, a claw, then yes, I suppose that's fine. But if you have no natural attacks, then you simply do not qualify for the feat at all and cannot take it.

Ephemeral_Being
2015-03-22, 02:24 AM
Well, i'm fairly sure druids can take it for their wild shape, which changes all the time, lending credence to what you want, however it does require that you at least have A natural attack, or at least have access to one, so a human druid still couldn't take improved natural attack before they got wildshape (bab +4 prerequisite aside, say they delayed their druid levels with fighter levels for some unfathomable reason). So if you see yourself getting a bite down the track, but at the moment you only have say, a claw, then yes, I suppose that's fine. But if you have no natural attacks, then you simply do not qualify for the feat at all and cannot take it.

Alright, well.

Can I make the argument that an Unarmed Strike counts as a Natural Weapon? It seem to fit all the criteria for one.

What if I took Improved Unarmed Strike? Would it count then?

Eloel
2015-03-22, 02:31 AM
Alright, well.

Can I make the argument that an Unarmed Strike counts as a Natural Weapon? It seem to fit all the criteria for one.

It certainly doesn't seem to count before taking IUS. After is a bit more iffy, but it leads to kung-fu panda, which I approve of.

Lord Vukodlak
2015-03-22, 05:11 AM
Alright, well.

For unarmed strike.... but not for any other natural weapon like claws or bite.

sideswipe
2015-03-22, 06:37 AM
Alright, well.

if you had improved unarmed strike i would allow it but not for any unarmed strike.

improved unarmed strike by logic shows you have had training or natural ability with your fists etc to cause the same sort of damage a slam attack would and in the same fashion.