PDA

View Full Version : Dragonborn Template: What You Keep and What You Lose.

Dar'cune
2015-03-22, 01:36 AM
Hullo.

I have a Draconic Water Orc who went through the Rite of Rebirth, and I need to keep track of his newfound (and newly lost) abilities.

Here's what I have originally:

From Being a Water Orc:

+4 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against creatures of the fire subtype, including extraplanar creatures from the Elemental Plane of Fire.
-2 penalty on all saving throws against spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities with the fire subtype or used by creatures of the fire subtype, including extraplanar creatures from the Elemental Plane of Fire.
Natural Swimmers: Members of water races have a swim speed equal to their base land speed. (If the creature already has a swim speed, it improves by 10 feet.) A water creature can move through water at its swim speed without making Swim checks. It has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. A water creature can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.
An Orc’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Light Sensitivity: Orcs are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
Automatic Languages: Common, Orc. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, Undercommon.
Favored Class: Barbarian.

From Being Draconic:

AC: Natural armor improves by 1.
Damage: Draconic creatures have claw attacks. If the base creature does not have these attack forms, use the damage values in the table below. Otherwise, use the values below or the base creature's damage, whichever is greater.
Special Qualities: A draconic creature has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus low-light vision and darkvision with a range of 60 feet.
Saves: A draconic creature gains a +4 racial bonus to saves against sleep and paralysis, thanks to its heritage.
Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +2, Cha +2.
Skills: Draconic creatures gain a +2 racial bonus to Intimidate and Spot checks.
Advancement: Same as the base creature
Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +1.

Page 10 of Races of the Dragon has a sidebar called The Mechanics of Rebirth." If you don't have access to the book, I'll do my best to summarize.

Type, Subtype, and Race: Original type and subtypes are retained, and the dragonblood subtype is gained. You still count as a member of your original race for the purpose of any effect or prerequisite that depends on race.
Racial Hit Dice: Retained
Abilities Modifiers: Retained, as well as ability modifiers from the Dragonborn Race.
Size: Retained
Speed: Retained, as well as any other modes of movement possessed by your original race. Other Racial Traits related to speed or movement, such as a dwarfs ability to move at full speed in medium or heavy armor, are lost
Languages: Retained, and Draconic is gained automatically.
Favored Class: Retained, and Fighter is gained as well.
Level Adjustment: You retain your original level adjustment.
Other Racial Traits: You lose all other racial traits of your original race, including bonus feats, skill bonuses, attack bonuses, save bonuses, spell-like abilities, and so forth.

I want to make sure that I have down correctly what my Orc gains and loses during Rebirth. Here's what I have so far:

Type, Subtype and Race: Humanoid and Dragonblood, Counted as Orc for effects and prerequisites.
Racial Hit Dice: None
Ability Modifiers: +6 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom
Size: Medium, Unchanged.
Speed: 30 ft move speed; unchanged from original race. However Natural Swimmer is written in as a Racial Trait, which according to "The Mechanics of Rebirth" is lost. However, the details of Natural Swimmer break its abilities up into two distinct sections. One part gives the Orc a Swim Speed equal to its move speed, and the other gives the Orc other Swim-Related abilities. "Mechanics of Rebirth" States that the creature retains all move speeds, so in this instance:

Swim speed equals movement speed. All other abilities related to Natural Swimmer are lost.

Languages: Draconic is added.
Favored Class: Barbarian and Fighter.
Level Adjustment: +1 from Draconic Template.
Racial Traits: According to "The Mechanics of Rebirth," all of these are lost. These are the abilites that I think are included in that:

From the Water Orc

Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Light Sensitivity
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against creatures of the fire subtype, including extraplanar creatures from the Elemental Plane of Fire.
-2 penalty on all saving throws against spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities with the fire subtype or used by creatures of the fire subtype, including extraplanar creatures from the Elemental Plane of Fire.

From Being Draconic
Special Qualities: A Draconic creature has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus low-light vision and darkvision with a range of 60 feet.
Saves: A Draconic creature gains a +4 racial bonus to saves against sleep and paralysis, thanks to its heritage.
Skills: Draconic creatures gain a +2 racial bonus to Intimidate and Spot checks.

Can you folks tell me if I missed anything?

Requiem_Jeer
2015-03-22, 06:01 AM
Except for the part where Natural Swimmer has parts that isn't just a swim speed, you have it. All of those things are just the bennies everyone who has a swim speed gets.

PrismCat21
2015-03-22, 10:05 AM
What he said :) ----------------------^