PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Gold compensation for Gestalt

dascarletm
2015-03-22, 01:53 AM
I'm developing a campaign where everyone is a gestalt wizard, however one player wants to be a rogue... No not a Rogue//Wizard, but just a straight rogue. I talked with her about it and she thought it would be fun if she wasn't special but instead had a rich family that supplied her with enough excess funds to fuel her UMD skills to keep up with the rest. I'm on board with the idea but I'm unsure how to balance it.

The group is pretty mid-OP, they usually don't go crazy on fore-planning and don't do anything one could define as "shenanigans."

So, what would be a good bonus of gold over WBL for use in consumable magic items, that would compensate for not having gestalt?

I was considering 50%, but I'm unsure if that will be enough or too much. Thoughts?

Elana
2015-03-22, 02:25 AM
Gestalt is considered to have a CR that is 2 higher than their level.
So give the rogue XP like he would be 2 levels lower than the rest.
That will make him level up faster, and the extra funds of his family should get him up to WBL.

(Of course, seeing that a single class wizard is more powerfull than a single class rogue, you might want to hand out even more XP)

chaos_redefined
2015-03-22, 04:24 AM
Gestalt him with Artificer.

dascarletm
2015-03-22, 01:04 PM
Thanks Elana, but i'd like them to keep roughly the same level if possible.

Gestalt him with Artificer.

I'm sure there is an equivalent class in pathfinder, but I think she actually wants a disadvantage in this regard. We thought about that though and are keeping it as a back-up.

Coidzor
2015-03-22, 01:25 PM
I'm developing a campaign where everyone is a gestalt wizard, however one player wants to be a rogue... No not a Rogue//Wizard, but just a straight rogue. I talked with her about it and she thought it would be fun if she wasn't special but instead had a rich family that supplied her with enough excess funds to fuel her UMD skills to keep up with the rest. I'm on board with the idea but I'm unsure how to balance it.

The group is pretty mid-OP, they usually don't go crazy on fore-planning and don't do anything one could define as "shenanigans."

No. No non-gestalt characters with gestalt ones. If she doesn't want to play a Wizard//Rogue, then find something she can stand gestalting with Rogue instead.

Necromancy
2015-03-22, 01:33 PM
I've done this in pathfinder and given the non gestalt a choice of template instead (half demon etc)

Gurifu
2015-03-22, 02:14 PM
If your player's desire is to be a purely non-magical class, consider gestalting with a snakebite-striker Brawler or Slayer, for ultra sneak attack damage, two-weapon-fighting without extreme feat taxing, d10 hit dice, full BAB progression, and some neat class features that synergize well with Rogue.

dascarletm
2015-03-22, 03:45 PM
I talked to her about it and she likes the idea of being 2 levels ahead. Varying power levels between players usually hasn't been a problem with her before. However if it does become an issue we are willing to open it up at a later date and change the character.

Her character is basically a squib in concept so her desire is to intentionally be less powerful than the rest.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Coidzor
2015-03-22, 03:54 PM
Her character is basically a squib in concept so her desire is to intentionally be less powerful than the rest.

Gestalting non-casters would satisfy that easily enough.

robgrayert
2015-03-22, 06:10 PM
There is also, I suppose, nothing wrong with allowing her to gestalt Rogue (Archetype A) / Rogue (Archetype B), so long as the archetypes aren't replacing the same core class features. And just make a decision about how sneak attack would stack.

Coidzor
2015-03-22, 06:42 PM
There is also, I suppose, nothing wrong with allowing her to gestalt Rogue (Archetype A) / Rogue (Archetype B), so long as the archetypes aren't replacing the same core class features. And just make a decision about how sneak attack would stack.

That wouldn't matter if you allowed gestalting of the same class like that.

In fact, it'd be preferable to gestalt in a meaningful way by picking up different abilities rather than having 2 copies of the same ability.

Spore
2015-03-22, 06:57 PM
How about she's considered a spellcaster in an attribute where it isn't enough for her to cast spells naturally...but she does not have to roll UMD for those items and has a caster level for creating magic items. If she wants to be the Gadget gal then give her the means to instantly craft and UMD almost anything.

Baroncognito
2015-03-22, 07:05 PM
If I were going to do a Rogue gestalt that felt like pure rogue...

I'd probably go Investigator (Sleuth)// Rogue (Investigator) and (Carnivalist) because I like having a familiar.

Upon further investigation, Rogue (Carnivalist) loses three rogue talents. Which is arguably worth it, but if you want to keep all your rogue talents, Rogue (Knife Master) is also an option. There are actually a lot of rogue archetypes that lose Trapfinding and Trap Sense, so they're all a good counterpoint to Investigator.