PDA

View Full Version : Miniatures Star Wars Armada

hamishspence
2015-03-22, 04:28 AM
Now that they've released the rules (but not the models yet - that's next week) - any thoughts on the system - based on the rules that have been seen, and on the articles on the FFG site (frequently reposted on Bell Of Lost Souls)?

My first impression after reading the rules - it's more complex than X-Wing, but not much more so - and that it has an interesting objective system.

The manoeuvring stick seems a bit more flexible a manoeuvring system, than the X-wing style manoeuvre templates.

Peelee
2015-04-09, 04:34 PM
Now that they've released the rules (but not the models yet - that's next week) - any thoughts on the system - based on the rules that have been seen, and on the articles on the FFG site (frequently reposted on Bell Of Lost Souls)?

My first impression after reading the rules - it's more complex than X-Wing, but not much more so - and that it has an interesting objective system.

The manoeuvring stick seems a bit more flexible a manoeuvring system, than the X-wing style manoeuvre templates.

I'm gonna be sitting this one out. Sunk cost and all; I've already spent a small fortune on my X-Wing fleets, and I'm going to keep focusing on that instead of finding a whole new money sink. No matter how much those Star Destroyers tantalize me.

hamishspence
2015-04-09, 04:41 PM
I'm gonna be sitting this one out. Sunk cost and all; I've already spent a small fortune on my X-Wing fleets, and I'm going to keep focusing on that instead of finding a whole new money sink. No matter how much those Star Destroyers tantalize me.

In my case it's more like a large fortune (at least two of every box, and a lot more in the case of the really low points cost ships) - but the Armada rules just look so intriguing and the models so beautiful.

Narkis
2015-04-09, 08:26 PM
Haven't really checked the rules yet, but I am going to buy one ISD. I might never play with it, but they're beautiful.

Peelee
2015-04-09, 10:15 PM
In my case it's more like a large fortune (at least two of every box, and a lot more in the case of the really low points cost ships) - but the Armada rules just look so intriguing and the models so beautiful.

....oh my lord. Im in that exact same boat (assuming you also have the Huge ships and pirate faction multiples). So i underestimated, its a king's ransom, and all the more reason I'm going to hold off on Armada. I an interested in how people like it though.

hamishspence
2015-04-10, 12:44 AM
I've only got the one of each huge ship (except the Raider Corvette - either that's not out, or it is out but impossible to find.)

I've been reading the few reviews of it - and they do seem to suggest it's a deeper game than X-wing in some respects.

On the FFG Armada board - there's been some pretty nice paints of fighters (and the occasional repaint of capital ships - like VicStar in Clone Wars red patterning) - so if one doesn't like unpainted fighters, and one is good at painting - those tutorials might be of interest.

Eventually, once the Raider corvette comes out for X-wing, and Wave 2 comes out for Armada, I plan to try a mini-game or two using the same fleet from both systems.

So, it would be many different 3-starfighter squadrons, a few Bounty Hunters, and a corvette, on each side.