PDA

View Full Version : The Dragon's Tribute (Group U)

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-22, 05:24 AM
Smallhold has two inns, both of them unusually busy. You are in The Thrown Tree. It is the middle of the day, so other than yourselves and a few other adventurers the inn's main bar is empty. Only the innkeeper, a tall (for a Gnome) gnome with greyish hair and in middle-age. When the adventurer sitting furthest from the bar comes to the bar for some reason, the Innkeeper asks in common, "You're here about the dragon?"

crowe
2015-03-22, 09:42 AM
"You're here about the dragon?"

Valyur's cheeks redden.

"Is it really so obvious?"

Valyur extends his hand.

Valyur Crick, Master of Illusion, at your service sir."

Smeggedoff
2015-03-22, 12:31 PM
From a nearby barstool a small blonde head pops up from behind a dog-eared novel.

"Dragon?" she thinks excitedly

Slightly starry-eyed she shuffles closer, trying and failing to be subtle about listening in.

Amanil
2015-03-22, 12:43 PM
The dwarf, true to dwarven nature, sat drinking a flagon of ale. He was weary from his journey, but word of why he was here in the first place had him decidedly interested.

"Good sir, I too am here following such rumours. Is there truth to them, then?"

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-22, 01:08 PM
The innkeeper shakes the hand of Valyur Crick. "They're true all right. Saw it myself, almost everyone did. Scales as red as blood flying and taking on our side of the mountain. If it wasn't snatching livestock it'd still be a worry, just because how evil they are and how close it is."

Smeggedoff
2015-03-22, 01:37 PM
"It, they?" Vida thinks "how mysterious! Amazing! And a dragon! This is just like The Scales of Love!"

Vida sighs dreamily, then snaps her attention back to the conversation

"Hey! Excuse me, sorry to eavesdrop but... are you planning an... adventure?" she asks, looking over with shining eyes

Ouroborosi
2015-03-22, 02:58 PM
The Inn door opens and a tanned grey beard man in his middle ages steps in.
As he looks around he noticed how packed the inn is.

He leans on his traveling staff and quickly realizes that most of the people sitting tables.
Expect for bar where they patrons are well armed.

Must be adventures

He things, and slowly walks toward them savoring every step.
His staffis keeping pase with legs and it is clear he doesn't really needs it.

"Fharlanghn has guide many to your inn today, innkeeper. Any things worthwhile to see around this place? Or to avoid?"

the man places 4 coppers at the counter.

"A mug of ale if it isn't to much trouble."

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-22, 03:14 PM
The Innkeeper takes your money and gives you a mug of ale, "There's nothing in the town to interest passerbies. Generally, they come here. Stay at my inn and pass on by. Outside of town, not far away, in the mountains is a fearsome red dragon. I saw it pass by with my own eyes. Scales as red as blood."

Ouroborosi
2015-03-22, 03:59 PM
The middle aged man accepts the mug and chucks half of it down his throat.
"You must be a brave man for traveling toward the mountains to find it out yourself."

Hendrix knew the mindset of city folk how the smallest rumor could be blown out to epic propostions.

The travel just eyes the innkeeper. "So, is there any survior that had a better look at the beast? To compare sources maybe it was just a red brownish eagle from affar or if you have seen it in a cave a brown bear?"

"No offense"

the traveler said with a friendly smile.

"But on my travels i encountered a villages where the chimney sweeper was mistaken for a dark elf."

crowe
2015-03-22, 04:26 PM
The innkeeper shakes the hand of Valyur Crick. "They're true all right. Saw it myself, almost everyone did. Scales as red as blood flying and taking on our side of the mountain. If it wasn't snatching livestock it'd still be a worry, just because how evil they are and how close it is."

Oh yes, Draco Rufus Horribilus, the red variety are alleged to be particularily ill-tempered. MOST are reported to be quite foul. Snatching livestock? What kind? And CLOSE? You know where it lairs?
this is quite interesting, I can't wait to study the beast."" Valyur rummages through his pack for pen and parchment to take notes.

hwoo_
2015-03-22, 06:49 PM
"A red dragon?!?" Garnet asked aloud.

He had heard whispered rumors, but this was the first time there was outright talk.

Taking his mug of ale and hauling his adventuring gear, he joined the interested audience around the innkeeper.

Smeggedoff
2015-03-22, 09:17 PM
Vida looks perplexed
"They come in more colours?"

crowe
2015-03-23, 12:40 AM
Vida looks perplexed
"They come in more colours?"

"Oh yes, they come in as many colors as you can paint, really, there are the reds, the greens, the blues, the blacks, and whites, and those are just the chromatics, now the the metallics, they are of a different genus and temperament all together mind you...." Valyur begins to ramble on in a long discourse on colors and preferred terrains of dragons.

hwoo_
2015-03-23, 02:59 AM
"Oh yes, they come in as many colors as you can paint, really, there are the reds, the greens, the blues, the blacks, and whites, and those are just the chromatics, now the the metallics, they are of a different genus and temperament all together mind you...." Valyur begins to ramble on in a long discourse on colors and preferred terrains of dragons.

Garnet covered the gnome's mouth with one hand, and, with his other hand, made the universal sign for "silence".

"Hush! Too much talk!"

Amanil
2015-03-23, 06:17 AM
"Now, my good dwarf, this fellow seems to know quite a bit about the potential adversary. To go against them unprepared would be a foolish move indeed, when such information is given freely." Arkh interjects, placing a hand onto his kin's arm to indicate he wished it lowered.

Arkh turned to the innkeep. "Has anything been done about the sightings? Requesting aid from the local lord, for example?"

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-23, 08:19 AM
"I have eyes. It was a Red Dragon, clear as crystal. Some could have shot it. If he had a bow. And a death wish." Said the gnome, his tone of voice showing far less offence than his words. "The mayor is probably doing something. I couldn't tell you what. I don't bother with him, and I wish he'd bother me less.

"Where the dragon nested? Before you came into town, about an hour if you walked, I expect you saw on the mountain two perfectly smooth white paths leading up it in opposite directions after starting at the same point on the ground. Those two paths lead to a chamber. That's where the dragon nested.

"Lots of labourers who work the farm around there are regulars here. They saw it as clear as crystal. And if a red dragon enters a huge cave mouth and barely fits. Well, that isn't an eagle. They'll likely be here in a quarter-day if you want to speak to them."

Ouroborosi
2015-03-23, 04:28 PM
Hendrix's eyes sparke when the innkeeper mentions the two roads.
But when his theory about a giant eagle is shotdown

he strokes his beard "If this dragon is as big as everyone claims.. Then this town doesn't need adventurers... It needs a legend to take it down"

He eyes the adventures "No offence, but none of us give the impression we are abble to kill a small troll by ourselves." with the word small he measures above his own head. "Let alone a dragon."

"So why is this dragon living in a room where it can barely fit? Is it hiding? Is it looking for something, has it made demands?"

crowe
2015-03-23, 04:33 PM
"Now, my good dwarf, this fellow seems to know quite a bit about the potential adversary. To go against them unprepared would be a foolish move indeed, when such information is given freely." Arkh interjects, placing a hand onto his kin's arm to indicate he wished it lowered.

Arkh turned to the innkeep. "Has anything been done about the sightings? Requesting aid from the local lord, for example?"

"It's quite all right my good dwarf, I am sure these sort of lectures can be a bit tedious for the less uh, academically inclined."

"I have eyes. It was a Red Dragon, clear as crystal. Some could have shot it. If he had a bow. And a death wish." Said the gnome, his tone of voice showing far less offence than his words. "The mayor is probably doing something. I couldn't tell you what. I don't bother with him, and I wish he'd bother me less.

"Where the dragon nested? Before you came into town, about an hour if you walked, I expect you saw on the mountain two perfectly smooth white paths leading up it in opposite directions after starting at the same point on the ground. Those two paths lead to a chamber. That's where the dragon nested.

"Lots of labourers who work the farm around there are regulars here. They saw it as clear as crystal. And if a red dragon enters a huge cave mouth and barely fits. Well, that isn't an eagle. They'll likely be here in a quarter-day if you want to speak to them."

Valyur gulps rather audibly. "Certainly seems like a rather LARGE specimen, some of the larger ones have been known to destroy whole kingdoms and smote entire armies....perhaps we should gather some data from afar and interview the local workers before we poke the beast as they say. Where is this mayor you speak of?"

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-23, 04:42 PM
"Well, I don't know about is making any demands. If you do want to see the mayor, he'll likely be in the town hall. Big building. Next to the temple of Boccob. If you walk left after going out of here, you'll be sure to find it." Says the Innkeeper.

Ouroborosi
2015-03-23, 05:10 PM
"Thank you."
The traveler chucks down the remaining ale and leaves the mug at the counter.

and heads toward the townhall.

So they have a temple of the god of magic here? Quite odd for town. Maybe it could be an idea to visit them after this

Smeggedoff
2015-03-23, 05:48 PM
Vida hops off her barstool and follows the traveller, tugging a leash to rouse a squashed face little dog from the floor.
"hey Mister, wait up"

hwoo_
2015-03-23, 09:41 PM
Vida hops off her barstool and follows the traveller, tugging a leash to rouse a squashed face little dog from the floor.
"hey Mister, wait up"

Garnet looked at his fellow dwarf and asked, "I'd like to see this dragon for meself. Interested, too?"

crowe
2015-03-23, 11:29 PM
Hendrix's eyes sparke when the innkeeper mentions the two roads.
But when his theory about a giant eagle is shotdown

he strokes his beard "If this dragon is as big as everyone claims.. Then this town doesn't need adventurers... It needs a legend to take it down"

He eyes the adventures "No offence, but none of us give the impression we are abble to kill a small troll by ourselves." with the word small he measures above his own head. "Let alone a dragon."

Valyur blushes.
If it is as they say, I am afraid you may be quite right, my arts are potent, but I do not know if they are the equal of something like THAT. Valyur surveys the gathering.

"What say you we approach this together? Strength in numbers and all that? Where dragons roam, there is plenty of gold and glory for all."

"So why is this dragon living in a room where it can barely fit? Is it hiding? Is it looking for something, has it made demands?"
"These are the questions of a thinking man, and good ones indeed. We must find these out, because if all is as is claimed the beast may not be possible to remove by sheer force alone."

Amanil
2015-03-24, 03:48 AM
Garnet looked at his fellow dwarf and asked, "I'd like to see this dragon for meself. Interested, too?"

"It's why I'm here. Best talk to the mayor, make sure some formal request for aid has gone out."

hwoo_
2015-03-24, 07:14 AM
"It's why I'm here. Best talk to the mayor, make sure some formal request for aid has gone out."

Garnet nodded, gestured for the paladin to go ahead, and readied to follow him.

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-24, 07:48 AM
The Town Hall was as easy to find as the Innkeeper had suggested. It wasn't a particularly architectural spectacular, a student of architecture would likely look at the temple next door, but it was much larger than the residential buildings nearby.

Entering the unspectacular entrance, one might be surprised to find oneself in quite a small white-walled room. In front of you, is a desk with a middle-aged Halfling woman sitting behind it, and behind her there is a closed door. To your left is a houseplant, and to your right is another houseplant and an arch you could correctly surmise to lead to the bigger hall. The Halfling woman is adorned in unspectacular clothes.

Amanil
2015-03-24, 12:15 PM
Amongst the order, simplicity, and indeed the bureaucracy... Arkh felt rather at home.

"Good afternoon, ma'am. We would be much obliged if we could arrange a meeting with the mayor at his earliest convenience. It is a matter of considerable urgency."

Ouroborosi
2015-03-24, 12:37 PM
Valyur blushes.
If it is as they say, I am afraid you may be quite right, my arts are potent, but I do not know if they are the equal of something like THAT. Valyur surveys the gathering.

"What say you we approach this together? Strength in numbers and all that? Where dragons roam, there is plenty of gold and glory for all."

"If the dragon is only here for a few weeks, we will be very disappointed in the treasure it would have collected."

And a larger group is a louder group to, like you said we better find out the situation before we do anything.

As the the human enters town hall he blinks a few time, surprised to encounter yet again one of the smaller races. It's not often that an average size man feels so big.

"Good day milady, we would like to discus the dangers your trade and traffic your community are in. There has been sightings of a dragon in this neighborhood and we have a vested interest that it doesn't escalates any further."

The traveler pulls out a holy symbol out of brown shirt and shows it to the woman.

"Hendrix Cleric of the dweller on the horizon, Fharlanghn. We would like to have a word with the major."

Smeggedoff
2015-03-24, 01:03 PM
Vida listens with interest
"A cleric eh? interesting" she thinks

hwoo_
2015-03-24, 07:55 PM
Garnet stood back, and let the others go through the banal formalities.

Once the others started one-upping each other to arrange a meeting with the mayor, Garnet rolled his eyes.

*Life's the same with dwarves and humans, it appears. Formalities, formalities.*

He crossed his arms in front of his chest, and refused to participate. He did, however, decided to benefit from whomever gained entrance first.

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-25, 02:31 PM
The half lying woman smile at you, "Ah, we've been expecting you. Please go right in."

The woman stands up and gestures to the door behind her.

Behind the door, the mayor is sitting behind his busy wooden deck. The knicks knacks include a small bronze globe and a bony key. To one side is a selection of ornamental clothes. The mayor himself is a middle-aged brown haired halting wearing quite ordinary, "Ah, adventurers. Very fast."

Smeggedoff
2015-03-25, 02:46 PM
Vida inwardly makes a high pitched squeeing noise at being called an adventurer

Ouroborosi
2015-03-25, 04:54 PM
"Commerce and open roads to you, sir mayor" Hendrix makes a bow.
"We heard there is a huge red dragon on the lose and humbly request that you share any information so we can open roads again"
He shows the holy symbol of Fharlanghn once again.

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-27, 05:48 AM
"Very well to you, also. There is indeed a huge red dragon. I had an audience with it. Only, heroes of myth would be able to slay a beast of that size, however it told me that it would return to whence it came if give one thing as tribute. The skull of his mother. We know where that is. We would give it to him ourselves. If not for one thing. The Red Dragon skull has been locked in a chamber within our near mountains.

"Somehow, Kobolds have got into this chamber. They make it too dangerous for us townfolks. But, not for fellows like yourselves. We offer you 200 gold pieces to you in return for this skull."

Amanil
2015-03-27, 09:51 AM
"Kobolds? A mere nuisance," Arkh states. "If the beast is so mighty so as to be worth bargaining with rather than ridding from the world, what does it have to fear from a few kobolds?"

crowe
2015-03-27, 10:28 AM
"Kobolds? A mere nuisance," Arkh states. "If the beast is so mighty so as to be worth bargaining with rather than ridding from the world, what does it have to fear from a few kobolds?"

"I would think a beast of such size might have a hard time burrowing into kobold warrens...or perhaps it simply feels the task beneath it, why labor when it can get lesser beings to do its bidding for free...Draco Rufus are a notoriously lazy lot."

Smeggedoff
2015-03-27, 10:34 AM
"Maybe it's too big to get in the door?" Vida muses, deciding she'll wait until later to ask what a kobold is

Ouroborosi
2015-03-27, 11:13 AM
"Kolbolds? Ah yes does kolbolds." The middle aged man said. Trying to hide the fact he never heard of kolbolds.

(In his region they are called Devil Puppies an exception on the norm)

"If i might be so bold in asking more question.." the traveler adresses the Mayor again.
"Why is there a dragon skull nearby? Does this town has a history as a dragon hub? Was his mother famous? What was here name?"

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-27, 11:19 AM
The mayor nods as the others offer their explanations. "The skull has been here for far longer than the town has. The mountains used to be full of dragons,but this is the first one seen for a long time. I imagine that the mother had a name, but I am afraid whatever it was it has been lost in the mists of time.

That should give you a clue about how old the child must be."

crowe
2015-03-27, 02:17 PM
"Very well to you, also. There is indeed a huge red dragon. I had an audience with it. Only, heroes of myth would be able to slay a beast of that size, however it told me that it would return to whence it came if give one thing as tribute. The skull of his mother. We know where that is. We would give it to him ourselves. If not for one thing. The Red Dragon skull has been locked in a chamber within our near mountains.

"Somehow, Kobolds have got into this chamber. They make it too dangerous for us townfolks. But, not for fellows like yourselves. We offer you 200 gold pieces to you in return for this skull."

"An audience? Did this dragon give its name? And 200 gold for each seems a bit...slim, there are many costs to consider...research, reagents, trips to the surgeon, etc."

hwoo_
2015-03-27, 11:23 PM
"An audience? Did this dragon give its name? And 200 gold for each seems a bit...slim, there are many costs to consider...research, reagents, trips to the surgeon, etc."

Garnet leaned against a back wall, half-listening to the discussion with a bored countenance.

*Sigh... talk, talk, talk.... I'm ready for do, do, do!* he mumbled to himself.

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-28, 05:37 AM
"The dragon did not give his name, and, well, I'm sure that we could cover your costs for medical expensives and other consumables. The priest told me that 200 gold per, was unusually high." The Mayor doesn't seem too sure with himself.

Ouroborosi
2015-03-28, 12:11 PM
"I am more concerned to survive then being paid, we can talk about the price when we return."

He strokes his beard thinking for a moment.

"Where heading for the mountains, it won't hurt finding a bit more out about the local flora and fauna there, are these kolbolds the only things we have to worry about?"

"Maybe it is wise to consult to locals or the libraries in Boccobs temples before we head out, get a good meal and rest well, .."

The cleric snaps his finger and smiles as he remembers something crucial "How many hours traveling is it to our destination?"

crowe
2015-03-28, 02:32 PM
"The dragon did not give his name, and, well, I'm sure that we could cover your costs for medical expensives and other consumables. The priest told me that 200 gold per, was unusually high." The Mayor doesn't seem too sure with himself.

"The priest obviously doesn't not see the value of your beautiful village, it would cost many times more to replace all you have."Valyur softens a bit, "Still, I am not one to take advantage of good people, I will consent to you bounty, with said consumables, and any salvage save the skull we find."

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-28, 02:44 PM
I expect the Kobolds are the only threat, although I've heard rumours about a hippogriff recently nesting in that area. Of course, the crypt is quite near to where the dragon is. You're just going Down rather than Up. He then picks up the bony key from his desk, "You'll need this to get into the crypt. Unless you want to find out the Kobolds' route. Oh yes, the distance would be an hour away."

hwoo_
2015-03-28, 09:46 PM
Garnet nodded at the "relevant" information, and smiled in anticipation of battle.

"It's a deal then. 200 gold pieces for each of us, plus potions and assistance, in return for the skull of the dragon's mother." he said firmly, to wrap up the discussion.

Then, he rubbed his hands together in glee, and said, "Let's get to it!"

Amanil
2015-03-29, 08:35 AM
Something sat wrong with Arkh about essentially dealing with a embodiment of evil - better to destroy it than send it off to some other place to make even more demands.

That said, if the beast was as described a great many of his order would be needed to combat it. If the aid the town required was to recover this skull, then recover this skull he shall.

Assuming it's not an obvious thing, using Detect Evil on the party and the mayor. If it's an obvious thing, I'll do it some other time.

crowe
2015-03-29, 04:23 PM
Valyur takes the key and secures it.

"It may come in handy, though we may need to scout around, Kobolds are crafty creatures and have no doubt trapped the obvious entries, or at least have them under observation for ambush."

Smeggedoff
2015-03-29, 05:39 PM
Vida bounces on the spot "Oh! I can do that. The Scouting I mean. Shall we get a room and make plans somewhere so we're not occupying the nice mayor's office?"

crowe
2015-03-29, 11:22 PM
"Good idea, what say the rest of you?"

hwoo_
2015-03-30, 02:27 AM
"Good idea, what say the rest of you?"

Garnet's shoulders slump forward in defeat. He mumbles something about bureaucracy, army, and "why me?"

Then, his face showed resolve and he halfheartedly chimed in in a dejected tone, "Aye, aye, aye. Let's get the planning over with, so we can start on the bashing."

Amanil
2015-03-30, 04:39 AM
How odd, this other member of his kin is... the dwarf is practically gnawing on his axe in order to get things moving. Most undwarflike. Anyway...

"Most definitely best to plan. Shall we take the rest of the afternoon to prepare ourselves and acquire whatever supplies we deem useful? It may also be sensible to carry out such formalities as introductions, if we are to work together. I am Arkh, son of Orin, initiate of St. Cuthbert the Cudgel."

Smeggedoff
2015-03-30, 05:01 AM
"Vida Von, currently between jobs" Replies vida, beaming

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-30, 05:59 AM
As you speak you return to the inn from whence you came. Each of you know that you have a room, and you would guess the same of your companions, but at current you are in the original large room you statted in.

Ouroborosi
2015-03-30, 10:20 AM
As the group heads toward the inn the traveler replied "You already know mine, Hendrix. It's a pleasure to meet you all."

crowe
2015-03-30, 11:48 PM
"And I am Valyur, Valyur Crick, master of the arcane arts. It is a pleasure to meet you all as well. So, we have a job, and a well paying one, now all we need is information and a plan."

Ouroborosi
2015-03-31, 12:43 PM
"Let me be clear, i am traveler but not a costumed to mountain travel, or it's caverns."

"Nor are my divene gifts to suited for this area"

The middle aged human smiles at the two dwarves, believing they would lead the way on this matter.

Amanil
2015-03-31, 12:59 PM
Arkh located a table somewhat out of the way and ordered a round of ale for his newfound companions - the notion that some may prefer a drink other than the staple of dwarves everywhere didn't seem to occur to him, but he will adjust his order if an individual's taste is voiced.

Given the eclectic nature of personal patrons - though the existence and power of deities outside of that was certainly a given - he addressed Hendrix once the beverages were served.

"Would you mind me asking for St. Cuthbert's blessing of this drink, brother? I feel his reason and temperance would be fine qualities to invoke in discussions of strategy."

Expenses, as per SRD (if prices are different or services not available, I'll adjust):
Inn stay (per day), good: 2gp
Meals (per day), good: 5sp
Ale, gallon: 2sp

Ouroborosi
2015-03-31, 02:25 PM
An eye brow raises after hearing the request Orisson made.

"It is not my place to request favors of deities that our not my own, but the Dweller on the Horizon has ways to provide the things that one can need."

"That the roads provide you with the needed knowledge, may he guide Cuthbert's wisdom to you."

Amanil
2015-04-01, 03:28 AM
Arkh nods, raising his mug and placing a hand upon the wooden cross about his neck. "In the name of blessèd St. Cuthbert, may He watch over us in this just cause. May He use us to protect the innocent of this town from the ravages of the beast that looms over it, and may He guide us in our thoughts and actions, and show us the light of His reason and judgement in all that we do. As He has taught us..."

Casting Detect Evil. I figure having it as the ending of a prayer is both thematically suitable and non-invasive, and any verbal/somatic component can come under the blessing, or as some generic mumbo-jumbo at the end.

Also, for your interest:

From the SRD (emphasis mine):

Source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/paladin.htm)

Detect Evil (Sp)
At will, a paladin can use detect evil, as the spell.
Note that it is a spell-like ability.

Source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities)

Usually, a spell-like ability works just like the spell of that name. A few spell-like abilities are unique; these are explained in the text where they are described.

A spell-like ability has no verbal, somatic, or material component, nor does it require a focus or have an XP cost. The user activates it mentally. Armor never affects a spell-like ability’s use, even if the ability resembles an arcane spell with a somatic component.
I knew I'd seen a ruling regarding a Paladin's Detect Evil ability somewhere. If you want to rule it as being obvious, that's your call.

Emperor Demonking
2015-04-01, 05:45 AM
There is no evil present.

Amanil
2015-04-01, 05:52 AM
There is no evil present.

This makes for a happy paladin.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-01, 08:12 AM
Vida sips at her beer
"So yeah, shouldn't be too hard to find whatever entrance the kobolds are using. Should be able to check the other entrances for traps too as plan b"

crowe
2015-04-02, 12:19 AM
Vida sips at her beer
"So yeah, shouldn't be too hard to find whatever entrance the kobolds are using. Should be able to check the other entrances for traps too as plan b"

"Yes, I always think it best to figure out a good way get out of a problem before we get into it, plan a route for a hasty retreat, place a few surprises for pursuers, all that goodness."

hwoo_
2015-04-02, 11:46 AM
"I'd be Garnet Firebeard." he introduces himself, while tilting his chin to better display his very full, double-braided, but minimally-decorated fiery-red beard.

"Imma tired of the military know-it-alls, and am currently looking fer a less stick-in-the-ass company to adventure with. I'mma hoping ye all be willing to be that company."

"Yes, I always think it best to figure out a good way get out of a problem before we get into it, plan a route for a hasty retreat, place a few surprises for pursuers, all that goodness."

Garnet nods absentmindedly to the strategy planning.

"How 'bout ye all plan, and then point me to the right direction to bash heads in, eh?" Garnet suggested as he heaved his dwarven waraxe for all to see. Then, he gave the dwarven paladin a nod of camaraderie, and said "I'll back you up, friend."

Smeggedoff
2015-04-02, 12:22 PM
"Yep, we've just got to find the direction to point you in Garnet, unless you can walk through solid rock" Vida replies with a grin "Any business to take care of or shall we head out now?"

Amanil
2015-04-02, 12:24 PM
"I can't say I've heard of the Firebeards, friend Garnet. Do they hail from these parts?" Arkh frowns slightly at the notion of military know-it-alls, but figures it best not to judge the slightly unkempt dwarf's past, he had been warned that not all had been fortunate enough to be raised as one of St. Cuthbert's own. His future deeds, however...

"But yes, I feel that martially we shall have sufficient impact between us. Are there any supplies we are lacking? Light for the rest of you, perhaps?"

hwoo_
2015-04-02, 05:14 PM
"I can't say I've heard of the Firebeards, friend Garnet. Do they hail from these parts?" Arkh frowns slightly at the notion of military know-it-alls, but figures it best not to judge the slightly unkempt dwarf's past, he had been warned that not all had been fortunate enough to be raised as one of St. Cuthbert's own. His future deeds, however...

"But yes, I feel that martially we shall have sufficient impact between us. Are there any supplies we are lacking? Light for the rest of you, perhaps?"

"Haven't heard of the Firebeards?!? Where have you've been, friend? Holed up in a ship?" Garnet asked incredulously, and then finished with a shudder. "The clan of the Firebeards is a mighty branch of the dwarven military force up there on them mountains, protecting the valley and its inhabitants from monsters and evil creatures attempting to cross the mountain ranges. The clan is famed for their various shades of red beards as well as fer the copious amount of enemies' blood that we spill in the name of Moradin and the dwarven pantheon." Garnet exclaimed, and concluded with a mighty huff.

Amanil
2015-04-02, 06:56 PM
"Then it is my knowledge which is lacking, not your name," Arkh notes, amused at the notion of a dwarf on a ship. "Near-enough, I've been a little disconnected from the dwarven clans from beyond the church's walls. If Moradin's will runs like molten iron in your veins as it does in your beard, I have no doubt you will be a fearsome companion," he concluded, beaming and clinking ale mugs with his new friend. Who knew making friends could be this easy?

"Master Crick, you are a learnèd sort; do you happen to speak dragontongue? It may prove useful to be able to understand the creatures at times." He looks at the others assembled as well, hopefully.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-02, 08:01 PM
Vida rolls her eyes at the display of cameraderie
"oy" she thinks "dwarves"

Ouroborosi
2015-04-03, 01:05 AM
ooc: can't find the ooc tread.

posting at work, but my internet driver at home died.

i won't be abble to post until it's fixed, hopefully a new driver card is al that it needs.

Hendrix smiled as he watched the two dwarves get along.
A common road can either result is strive or comradery, he his glad it results in the later.

"For what it's worth." the cleric begins after the wizard has been asked if he knew draconic.
"The Wanderer on the Horizon has blessed me with the understand any language for this day, it would how ever deny you of half the divine healing I have prepared."

crowe
2015-04-03, 02:59 PM
"Master Crick, you are a learnèd sort; do you happen to speak dragontongue? It may prove useful to be able to understand the creatures at times." He looks at the others assembled as well, hopefully.

"I do indeed, the language of Dragons is glorious, a bit rough on the vocal cords, but glorious indeed, not to mention it is also a language commonly spoken by kobolds."

Emperor Demonking
2015-04-05, 06:46 PM
You make conversation and all get to know one another. Eventually, the formerly empty room starts to swarm with farmhands, most likely frequent comers to this tavern.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-05, 06:57 PM
Vida stands, grinning broadly "Well then, it looks like it's getting busy in here, shall we be off?

hwoo_
2015-04-05, 11:52 PM
Vida stands, grinning broadly "Well then, it looks like it's getting busy in here, shall we be off?

"Finally! Aye. Imma ready to start our adventures!" Garnet says with glee in his eyes, and his hands patting his waraxe lovingly.

Ouroborosi
2015-04-06, 02:51 PM
"Well I have rantions for five days and asked my deity for the blessing of fresh drinking water.
I sugest we ask one of the townfolks working in or near the mountains to escort us as far as he or she wants to the door or the possible kolbold den.
As a follower of the Dweller on the horizon, it's my duty and my pleasure to travel every road and side road these mountains have to offer... but i think the rest of you want to finish this by the end of the evening."

the man gives a quick wink direct to the party.

"Also you have a point with buying some light before we go, i got one light prayer but it's duration is short. plus i would rather safe it for an instant where flames could be snuffed out, wind, wettness."

Smeggedoff
2015-04-06, 05:35 PM
Vida winks back "That's why everyone should own a sturdy lantern"

crowe
2015-04-06, 11:12 PM
"I myself have little trouble seeing in the dark, it is part of the nature of Gnomes."

Amanil
2015-04-07, 04:08 AM
"Indeed, master gnome. Those of us whose ancestors toiled in the deep have been blessed with darksight, but for that reason we are charged with their safety when stepping into the darkness," Arkh stated, solemnly.

"It may be wise to stock up on pitons and other climbing gear - it is likely that the cave will not be easily traversable in all parts. Aside from that," he heaved himself down from the stool that was far too high for him. "the farmhands are returning and the day is therefore late. Would it be prudent to seek a room here for the night and set off fresh in the morning?"

On occasion Arkh will flick on Detect Evil. He won't seek to go full lawful-stupid on anyone who pops up, but he will keep an eye on them and ensure the group steers clear.

hwoo_
2015-04-07, 11:20 PM
"Aye, Imma blessed with darkvision, but haffa few torches in me pack as well as flint 'n steel. I have a bedroll and a handful of trail rations. If need be, I could scavenge for food and drink, but let's be prepared if we can, eh?" Garnet contributes. "Tis not me first time adventuring into unknown territories. I'll be carrying a grappling hook and 100 feet of rope to aid in our climbing. Any of you need help preparing your gear for this little venture?" Garnet offers kindly, knowing that the faster they finish preparing, the faster they will be charging into adventure!

Emperor Demonking
2015-04-08, 04:15 AM
Arkhangelsk detects no evil.

crowe
2015-04-08, 04:01 PM
"It may be wisest for us to head to the caves first thing in the morning. Kobolds, while creatures of toil and active given any hour of the day, typically set out sentries during the night when their own dark vision favors them best."

Emperor Demonking
2015-04-11, 03:17 PM
At the break of morn, the part regroups in the room they had first made their plans. After getting good direction to where they are supposed to go they join the thronging mass of commoners out of Smallholder and into the fields.

It is an uneventful journey until you get to where you have been pointed to. At the foot of the mountain, their are two white paths leading upwards and a single regular path leading down.

Amanil
2015-04-11, 03:32 PM
Arkh stretches and adjusts his pack. "The journey is just beginning. Friend Garnet, would you like to lead us onwards?"

hwoo_
2015-04-11, 10:10 PM
"Aye, indeed!" Garnet replied enthusiastically, and took the lead.

As he forged ahead, he periodically scanned the trail and to either sides for any hints of danger. Drawing from his brief stint as a Scout, Garnet scanned for disturbances in behavior and sounds of the native animals of the region, as well as giving an occasional glance at his fellow adventurers behind him. Overall, though, he was thrilled to finally be ever closer to treasure, adventure, and, most of all, glory!

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Smeggedoff
2015-04-12, 09:05 AM
Vida skips along, taking in the sights

Ouroborosi
2015-04-12, 02:57 PM
After silently blessing the commoners as the roads have spit in different opportunity.
Hendrix follows the the party not minding the slower pase that he is used to.
He watches the path and the surroundings carefully not wanting to miss the beauty of this mountain path.

I take it spot rolls are rolled by the DM for this?

Emperor Demonking
2015-04-15, 04:46 AM
As you walk down the path nobody sees anything particularly urgent, although there appears to be one piece of the mountain that seems to be where the kobolds might be getting in. There are also several molehills on the walk down.

When you get to the door you can see that it is black but dirty with dirt.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-15, 10:11 AM
"Alright!" declares Vida, puffing her chest out "hold my dog"
She shoves the small wheezing animal into the paladin's arms and then moves carefully up to the door to begin checking for potential nasties

Search Check
[roll0]

Emperor Demonking
2015-04-15, 11:42 AM
Vids, perhaps surprisingly, finds no traps. She does find the keyhole, though. So that's good.

Ouroborosi
2015-04-15, 12:25 PM
Hold my dog
The middel aged man can only chuckle as it isn't a sentance he would hear wintered adventures say.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-15, 12:43 PM
Vida wanders back "Well I don't see any evidence of tampering on the door at least. One of you has the key right? or are we going to look for the kolbod tunnel?"
she also retrieves the dog with a small "thank you"

hwoo_
2015-04-16, 07:59 AM
Vida wanders back "Well I don't see any evidence of tampering on the door at least. One of you has the key right? or are we going to look for the kolbod tunnel?"
she also retrieves the dog with a small "thank you"

"A key? Bah, not me. Maybe we should ask a kobold. I woudda prefer to go in through the door than the molehills." Garnet voices.

Ouroborosi
2015-04-16, 10:52 AM
"Master dwarf, you're on a journey that's not only your own."The cleric looks stern at the the babarian
"If you want your road to end in a glorous finish, that's fine." "But if you leading others to that road, you learn you had chosen the road of the fool instead."

"I for one don't look forward to turn into a human hedgehog filled with arrows charging the maingate."

crowe
2015-04-16, 11:21 AM
"I do indeed have the key, but it does seem obvious and hence the most likely guarded entrance, perhaps there is another way in? These "molehills" seem a bit odd." Valyur inspects the holes a little closer.

Amanil
2015-04-17, 04:44 AM
Sorry for inactivity, busy couple of days!
"Indeed, charging into the maw of the beast is likely not the most sensible option. Let us explore alternatives, which may be trickier to find but less difficult to enter through."

Emperor Demonking
2015-04-17, 10:42 AM
Inspecting the molehills closer they seem to be an indicator that - this part of the fields is lousy with moles.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-18, 11:55 AM
Vida shrugs before replying "Works for me"

hwoo_
2015-04-19, 01:41 AM
Garnet raises an eyebrow at the cleric as the lecture goes on and on and on. Finally, after the man of religion finished, Garnet replies, "So, why don't you lead if you know better? I'm the guy you'd call if you want something bashed in." And, Garnet steps aside, gesturing with his weapon for the cleric to go on and lead.

crowe
2015-04-20, 01:16 AM
Inspecting the molehills closer they seem to be an indicator that - this part of the fields is lousy with moles.

Valyur decides to query one of the moles to see if they know of any alternate entrances into the kobolds lair.

Using racial speak with animals ability

Emperor Demonking
2015-04-20, 03:16 AM
Finding a mole is not a great difficulty, and it tells you that there is one central tunnel, roughly for foot-wide by for foot tall that leads into the chamber behind this door.

It's is located a little bit higher up on the mountain, quite near your location if not for the height differential.

crowe
2015-04-21, 02:12 PM
"Excellent, excellent, thank you my friend. All right everyone, my fine rodent friend here informs me there is an alternate entrance a bit higher up the mountain right above the entrance."

Smeggedoff
2015-04-21, 07:12 PM
Vida shades her eyes and peers up, looking for any indications of such a thing

spot, should such a thing be necessary
[roll0]

Ouroborosi
2015-04-22, 12:33 AM
"What about a hit and run tatic? Keep our enemies from guising where we are? If the element of surprise isn't a choice."

Emperor Demonking
2015-04-22, 01:49 AM
Vida, knowing where and what to look for, can see the signs of the kobold's entrance/exit.

Amanil
2015-04-22, 04:15 AM
Assuming Vida points out the entrance, Arkh adjusts his pack then sets about trying to find a suitable route up. "Onwards and upwards!"

hwoo_
2015-04-22, 11:05 PM
Garnet grunts in acknowledgement, and marches towards the hidden entrance that Vida pointed out.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-23, 07:45 PM
Vida, looking pleased as punch, follows on, hoping there's a way up that doesn't involve too much climbing

Emperor Demonking
2015-04-24, 05:10 AM
You retreat back and start following the path up the mountain again. Since you're both looking and know where to look, you can see a bush that's concealing the entrance down.