PDA

View Full Version : The Dragon's Tribute (Group D)

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-22, 05:31 AM
The small town of Smallhold has only two inns, they are both busy. You are in The Last Refuge, the larger of the two inns. It is the middle of the day, and the room is empty save for you, other adventurers taking up half of the available and a human woman standing behind the bar. Its generally quiet enough that one can hear the birds singing outside. The door opens. A young, slightly out of breath, halfling male walks in looks around and smiles.

Kish
2015-03-22, 09:56 AM
The humanoid figure apparently made of perfectly sculpted grey wood is quite conspicuous even without considering the large, brindled she-wolf at his side. He notes the new arrival but doesn't comment.

byzantineblue
2015-03-22, 02:02 PM
The woman in the jester's costume flips up her mustache to take a long sip from her beer and shoots the newcomer a curious look. She doesn't say anything, but she quickly rocks back and forth to shake the tiny bells hung over her leather armor. Her meaning is unclear.

LegendaryKnight
2015-03-23, 01:08 AM
Gaefried entering the room his long legs quickly eating up the pace to the bar. With his head turned away from the light so it's slightly difficult to see his red eyes he sits down. His armor making some noise. He has a sword strapped to his waist and a shield covering his back. His turns his head slightly higher up. So it is clear that he is addressing the women behind the bar. He pulls out a few coins (3gps 5 sps) he says to her "Can I have a room and some food? I've been on the road most of the day getting here. Also can you tell me any information about the dragon? People that came asking for it? And some knowledge of the town and its surroundings? I didn't get a nice chance to see that much of it coming up. I will be happy to pay for your time. Gaefried says trying his best not to sound nervous talking to someone. Hoping that they won't think him of being a demon like so many others.

2 gold pieces for a good room.
5 silver pieces for a good meal.
1 gold piece for the information.

Rhunder
2015-03-23, 01:40 AM
Sitting at the bar, Burke looked up to Gaefried with great interest. His drink sits fresh and untouched as the half orc stands up from his stool. Letting his assortment of weapons fall securely as they settle from his movement he moved over to the new patron. With a toothy grin, Burke spoke to Gaefried "You must be an adventurer! Who else wants to know about dragons?" Burke let a small laugh out.

Burke sits and readjust a stool next to the red eye man before reaching back for his drink and taking a large gulp from it. "I'm Burke." He sat patiently as he await Gaefried to respond as if he was owed conversation.

byzantineblue
2015-03-23, 09:47 AM
The tall woman watches the warrior's attempts to garner information intently, and takes another sip of her beer. She almost spits it out when the half-orc introduces himself. "Your name is Berk?" She gives a short, barking laugh and stands up, smiling only slightly.

LegendaryKnight
2015-03-23, 11:53 AM
Gaefried looking at the half-Orc named Burke a little surprised he thought his red eyes would have frightened people. He slightly paused collecting his thoughts and said "My name is Gaefried Starryn I guess I'm an adventurer of sorts I want to recruit strong and talented people to help me with a mission set to me by my clan" Sorrow seeping out of his voice clearly it pained him to talk about it. "I'm planning on getting a team formed and to go and defeat the dragon if there is one. After that depending on how it goes it will determine my next path."

Kish
2015-03-23, 11:56 AM
"What do you know about the dragon?" the wooden man asks.

Rhunder
2015-03-23, 01:02 PM
Burke turns away from Gaefried for a moment to respond to the strange person. "It is." Burke shuffles from the stool and stands almost too close to the oddly bearded man. "You have something on your face."

Before a reply was uttered, the half orc returned to his spot to volunteer to be a member of the team Gaefried spoke of, only to pause to the question of the wooden man. "I've read about dragons. They are suppose to be big and dangerous." Burke answered the question that wasn't directed at him and thought he was being extremely helpful.

byzantineblue
2015-03-23, 02:23 PM
"You have something on your face too, good sir!" Jeremie says in a voice that carries across the room. She runs a hand down the fake beard with a flourish.

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-23, 04:51 PM
The barmaid shouts behind her for a room and some food to be prepared. "No, nobody has come in asking about a dragon. Most people have come in telling everyone else about the dragon, just be told about it in turn. The dragon is large, red, and is killing livestock. Can't say I know much more about it than that. The town? We're mostly self-sufficient, this is an unusually large influx of strangers. There's a big temple to Boccob, but I just that's just because the Uncaring God makes a good neural patron. Of course, you couldn't have missed the mountains."

The young half lung speaks, "You dragon slayers? I can show you to where the beast resides for a gold piece!"

Rhunder
2015-03-23, 05:08 PM
Burke, never have seen a halfling before speaks without consideration, "How does a kid know? Doesn't seem very safe to let you go after a dragon."

byzantineblue
2015-03-23, 06:50 PM
Not caring that no one is paying particular attention, Jeremie continues, "Oh, no, my mistake. It's only your nose. Carry on, sir." She bows dramatically, becomes overbalanced, and falls down with a jingle of bells.

LegendaryKnight
2015-03-23, 09:12 PM
Gaefried listening nods once and says "Thank you for your help." Turning to the boy he says "I would like that very much. Gaefried grabbing another gold coin out of a pouch that is tied tightly to his side. He hands it to the halfling. He looks at the woman once more "Can I have that food to go?"

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-24, 07:54 AM
That halfling pockets the gold coin, as the woman behind the bar shouts to have it made ready to go. The halfling doesn't seem put out at being called kid, indeed many halflings would agree with the term Burke used. "I won't be going after the dragon. This sir will be. I'll just show him where it is. Brave soul.

Looking at Jeremie, "Are you all right?"

byzantineblue
2015-03-24, 09:17 AM
She springs to her feet. "Oh yes, quite all right." She grabs her beer from the table and sidles over to the bar.

Rhunder
2015-03-24, 10:39 AM
"Mr. Starryn, I would like to go with you." Burke said with hope in his voice. "I hope to be an adventurer like you." Burke smiled as he awaited permission to join this new journey.

Kish
2015-03-24, 10:41 AM
"If you're going to start off your adventuring career by going and attacking a big red dragon, that career will be brief and followed by one as a snack," Oak comments dispassionately.

LegendaryKnight
2015-03-24, 02:45 PM
Looking at Burke Gaefried says "Thats fine by me. I'm planning on looking at the area first and then I will make a plan for what I see. Turning to the rest of the speakers he says "Anyone else want to come? If not I will be going then. Grabbing his meal he looks at the halfling Lead the way please.

byzantineblue
2015-03-24, 04:33 PM
"More traditionally," Jeremie smirks, "the dragonslayers simply charge in and slay the beast without the inconvenience of thought. I know about these things, you see, and I would be delighted to accompany you on this quest." She strokes the fake beard again.

Rhunder
2015-03-24, 04:52 PM
Burke slaps down a gold piece to pay for his drink, his excitement getting the better of him as Gaefried accepted the half orc as a team member. Burke is more than curious as to the strange fellow with the beard. "Are all dragonslayers so weird?" Burke naturally believing Jeremie's implication. "What about you and your dog?" Burke turning to Oak, having never seen a wolf before and assume its a type of dog.

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-26, 03:27 AM
The young halfling, "Everybody ready? Then let's go."

The halfling leaves and turns right out of towns. Once out of town rather than following the main road that you likely walked one in, he takes a little brown path that is cleaved between two fieldsof . He takes that path for several minutes before turning and taking another dirt route separating two fields of corn. "Y'know I awfully admire adventurers. Wouldn't want to be one. I value my life too much, but I admire you dragon slayers."

Can everyone make clear about your relative positions in the walking party. Obviously, the you Halfling is in the lead

Kish
2015-03-26, 07:00 AM
The wooden man gives Burke a puzzled look. "What about me?" he asks. But when the others leave the inn, he heads after them.

Oak and his wolf are at the back of the group.

byzantineblue
2015-03-26, 09:07 AM
Jeremie grabs her backpack and hurries after them as they leave the inn, pressing forward to be near the front of the group.

LegendaryKnight
2015-03-26, 11:32 AM
Gaefried is near the front next to the halfling thinking of what his next move is.

Rhunder
2015-03-26, 11:44 AM
Burke smiles at Oak for a moment, "Im glad you decided to come." the half orc then tries to keep pace with Jeremie in the front of the group. Nearly making it a race but careful not to run into the Halfling or Gaefried. Finally Burke calls ahead to the Halfling, "You never gave us your name small one. What shall we call you? Actually the only name I know is Gaefried." Burke noted as he looked amongst the group.

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-26, 11:53 AM
"My name is Phillip."He says as he walks foward, some minutes later he pauses and points to the mountain at a smooth white V on the mountains from the bottom to out of sight and an entranceway into the mountains.

Make spot and listen checks.

Rhunder
2015-03-26, 12:22 PM
Listen - [roll0]
Spot - [roll1]

byzantineblue
2015-03-26, 05:16 PM
Jeremie is whistling tunelessly as she walks, apparently lost in thought.

[roll0] Spot
[roll1] Listen

LegendaryKnight
2015-03-26, 10:02 PM
Gaefried looking at where the halfling is pointing thinks about what he is going to do about the dragon.

[roll0] spot
[roll1] listen

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-27, 05:36 AM
Most of you can sense that you're no longer as alone as you once were. Only, Burke is caught unawares by the four goblins hiding roughly fifteen feet to the left of Gaefried and ready for a fight.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Roll initiating and everyone but Burke decides on what action to take for round one. Being in the cornfield provides one with partial cover.

Kish
2015-03-27, 06:43 AM
Oak's Initiative: [roll0]
Kiara the Wolf's Initiative: [roll1]

"Enemies," Oak says, pointing.

Oak and Kiara will both move to flank whichever goblin looks weakest if possible, but they won't provoke AoOs to do so.
Oak's Attack: [roll2] (plus two if he's flanking by the time he can attack).
Oak's Damage: [roll3]
Kiara's Attack: [roll4] (plus two if she's flanking by the time she can attack).
Kiara's Damage: [roll5]
Opposed roll for automatic trip attempt if her attack hits: [roll6]

byzantineblue
2015-03-27, 08:59 AM
[roll0]
She fires her shortbow at one of the goblins (one without concealment if possible), unless she is threatened by one and would provoke attacks of opportunity, in which case she uses her longsword instead.
For the bow: [roll1] [roll2] (She has PBS and Precise Shot)
For the sword: [roll3] [roll4]

Rhunder
2015-03-27, 10:35 AM
Burke continues talking as if nothing is happening until he realizes everyone else has drawn weapons. He stops talking as he realizes what is happening.

Initiative [roll0]

LegendaryKnight
2015-03-27, 02:47 PM
Gaefried desides to stand back to back with Burke and gets ready for there Attack.

Take a defensive stance for +2 ac -4 to attack rolls.

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-27, 03:16 PM
The goblins remains out of me lee range with the first two throwing a javelin at Gaefried and Burke respectively. Both the attacks go wide of their targets.

Gaefried stands next to Burke and take a defensive stance. Jeremie takes a more proactive approach as she fires an arrow that hits true, the Goblin looks weak but is still standing.

The Druid and his companion also take a proactive approach as the wolf attacks and knocks out the weakened goblin. The Druid shortly after gets behind the next goblin in a flanking position, but misses. That goblin tries to repay the favour but misses.

Summary: 1 Goblin down, three to go.

Round 2:
The first goblin walks through the corn fields till he is able to flank Oak and hit him with his Morningstar. He swings but misjudge and misses.

The second tries his luck with another javelin at Burke. This finally goes through the air true, jabbing into the barbarian for four points of damage.

Kish
2015-03-27, 03:21 PM
Kiara moves to flank the goblin Oak is still menacing, her teeth rending him.

Kiara's Attack: [roll0]
Kiara's Damage: [roll1]
Opposed roll for automatic trip attempt if her attack hits: [roll2]
Oak will attack the same goblin if he's still up, or another goblin if that one's down.
Oak's Attack: [roll3] (minus two if not flanking).
Oak's Damage: [roll4]

byzantineblue
2015-03-27, 10:43 PM
Jeremie shoots another goblin this turn, taking a five-foot step if necessary to put her out of opportunity attack range.

Attack Rolls
[roll0] [roll1]

LegendaryKnight
2015-03-28, 05:08 AM
Gaefried moves in fast trying to down a goblin to get on more pressing tasks at hand.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Rhunder
2015-03-28, 11:24 AM
Grimacing in pain, Burke draws his axe out and moves in front of the Halfling to stop any of the attackers going near the childlike being.

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-28, 12:53 PM
The injured barbarian moves to protect the young halfling. Phillip, who was frozen still, whispers his thanks.

Gaefried moves into the melee and immediately strikes a goblin down. It lays dying.

Jeremie's arrow goes into one of the goblins that was fighting the druid. A stinging pain, but not one that it had time to think about as it was downed and made dying by an attack of the wolf.

Oak moves to fight the only goblin that had drawn blood, but misses.

Round Three

The last remaining goblin attempts to withdraw to sixty feet away, drawing an attack from the druid.

Kish
2015-03-28, 12:57 PM
If the goblin's using a withdrawal action, I shouldn't get an AoO, should I? Not that I'm complaining.
Oak first swings at the goblin as he retreats, and then, both Oak and Kiara charge him.

Attack of opportunity: [roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
Charge attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
Kiara's charge attack: [roll4]
Kiara's damage: [roll5]
Opposed roll for automatic trip attempt if her attack hits: [roll6]

byzantineblue
2015-03-28, 01:07 PM
Jeremie ignores the living goblin. Her allies will take care of it, and even if they don't, it won't do them any harm. She takes a look around for more concealed enemies as she moves to search the fallen bodies for valuables.

Perception rolls
[roll0] Spot
[roll1]Search

Rhunder
2015-03-28, 04:10 PM
Burke attempts to scavenge the javelin he was struck with(50% chance to be able to recover). He then turns to Phillip, "Are you alright small one?" His eyes going over the Halfling and scanning the distance for more threats.

Spot [roll0]

LegendaryKnight
2015-03-28, 06:22 PM
Gaefried draws out his bow. Planting his feet firmly onto the ground he fired a single half hearted arrow at the fleeing goblin.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Looking at Burke he says How badly are you injured? Is there anyone here who can treat wounds?

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-28, 09:04 PM
Oak's strike draws blood but not much. Burke recovers the javelins that struck him. Gaefried fires an arrow that fails to reach its target. Jeremies's search of the dying goblins draws 7 javelins and three morningstars, three shields and she could also take off the three sets of leather armour.

The Druid and his animal companion are not so quick to declare victory as the wolf charges at the goblin drawing much more blood where the goblin could barely stand. Oak's final thudding blow finishes him as he drifts into unconsciousness.

"I'm fine. I can't tell if you're good luck for saving me from the first time I've seen goblins, or bad luck for seeing goblins in the first place." says Phillip becoming less shaken as he sees such a complete victory.

No danger seems to be coming from what you can see.

LegendaryKnight
2015-03-28, 10:10 PM
Before we move on we need to stop and tell each other our skills. Even if we won't be together for long it would be the best for all of us. I'm a good swordsman and I know tactics well. I'm good at planning and strategy. My father always said I was good at coming up with solutions to any crisis. I adress this because when I know our skill set we would be better at fighting and we would last longer, and clearly as Phillip said he hasn't seen goblins around here before its either the dragon or something else driving them away. Gaefried finishes as he puts away his bow and quickly cleans his blade of the deceased goblins blood. As if he remembered something Also you should either hide that loot instead or carrying it. It looks heavy. On our way back we can come for it or maybe Phillip would be kind enough to stash it in the room I rented out.

byzantineblue
2015-03-28, 10:53 PM
Not interested in weapons and armor, Jeremie turns away from the bodies. "I'm the greatest jester you will find in these lands," she boasts, "and also... I'm a woman!" she confesses, ripping off the fake beard, to the surprise of no one.

Kish
2015-03-29, 07:33 AM
"I have a wolf. As you can plainly see, that is the main contribution I make to battle." It's hard to tell if Oak is joking. "I'm a student of nature."

Rhunder
2015-03-29, 06:10 PM
"I don't have many skills, but Im willing to throw myself into the thick of things and Im tough. I could also use those javelins if no one else wants them." Burke offers with his hands open. He then looks around at all the group and realizes he wasn't very useful thus far, "And I promise to be of even more use in future fights."

Kish
2015-03-29, 07:31 PM
"I have no use for any of those things," Oak waves to the weapons and armor, "other than selling them, I suppose."

LegendaryKnight
2015-03-30, 07:39 PM
Okay. Phillip is there anything else we should know about the area? And are there any special type of plants or wildlife in this part? Lastly around where the dragon is what's the terrain like? Gaefried says lastly trying to concentrate on what lays ahead.

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-30, 07:45 PM
"Do you mean the mountains or the corn fields? On the mountain there are bats, rats, no cats, and I heard a Hippogriff was spotted recently."

Rhunder
2015-03-30, 10:09 PM
"Hippogriff? Ive hear of those. Theyre flying horses right?" Burke confusing the mythological beasts. The half orc stands ready for the next orders or direction.

Emperor Demonking
2015-03-31, 04:35 AM
Phillip agrees to take your treasure from the last battle back to the inn. Your remaining journey to the mountain paths is uneventful, although you do seems farmhands around as you walk. Once at the foot of the mountain. Once a the foot of the white V, you have three choices. Going left where you can see the path to the chamber where Phillip said the dragon entered, the right which leads out of sigh but Phillip tells you leads to the same place on he opposite side, or a steep slope that leads down.

Rhunder
2015-03-31, 02:05 PM
"Hmm, so which way? The slope down seems dangerous or even a trap. We could surround the dragon's lair if we split, but I dont like that.

LegendaryKnight
2015-03-31, 10:58 PM
I think we should go down the slope. It's the only unknown variable here. We know that both paths lead to opposite sides of where the dragon rests. But I think if we go down we might find another way in. Or it could have where the goblins hideout is. Or lastly the hippogriff. If we go down here I would like to split the group up a little. Me and Burke in front and Oak and Jeremie in back. I'm counting on the wolf if anyone decides to sneak up behinds us. Also I hope that bow you have there could help to especially if there is an enemy they would be confused by it if you are not spotted. Gaefried says getting more comfortable because he loves making plans seeing how they play out. His father always said that he was a natural Gaefried just hopes he is right.

Rhunder
2015-04-01, 06:18 AM
Burke takes out his bow with an uneasy posture, "Im with you." The arrow now sitting on the bow, Burke looks about the group to see their reaction to the plan.

Kish
2015-04-01, 07:12 AM
Oak falls into his place in Gaefried's proposed marching order without comment.

Emperor Demonking
2015-04-02, 02:53 AM
"You're going the wrong way. That way is locked." Says Phillip before leaving with the maces and armour for you.

Going down the slope, after passing a few molehills you come to a large black metal filthy door.

LegendaryKnight
2015-04-02, 12:31 PM
How large? And is it possible to force it open?

Emperor Demonking
2015-04-02, 12:38 PM
The door is six foot by eight foot, it does not look like you could force it open.

Kish
2015-04-02, 12:38 PM
"This way seems unlikely to have anything to do with us or the dragon," Oak states. He turns and goes back up the path, accompanied by Kiara.

Rhunder
2015-04-03, 07:15 PM
Burke disappointedly puts his bow back up and grabs his Axe and heads back to the fork with Oak.

LegendaryKnight
2015-04-04, 11:29 AM
Gaefried decides to look at the door and see it in better detail to see if there is another way to open the door without using force.

Emperor Demonking
2015-04-05, 03:51 AM
Oak and Burke return to the fork, to find it as they had left it.

Gaefried's examination notices a key hole. There seems to be no other way to open it.

LegendaryKnight
2015-04-05, 06:11 PM
Going back to the group Gaefried just desides to go down the left fork because it wouldn't magt either way.

Kish
2015-04-05, 06:14 PM
Oak waits expressionlessly for Gaefried to catch up with him and take the lead down the left path, then he falls into his place in their established marching order again, Kiara still guarding the rear.

Emperor Demonking
2015-04-05, 06:42 PM
The four of you continue your walk up the mountain growing to the front of the mountain. The path up, only allows for two of you to walk side by side. If you were to look out you would be able to see the people of Smalltown working the fields. You come across a tunnel that leads into the mountain, although you can still continue up the mountain path you're on.

Marching order?

Rhunder
2015-04-05, 06:52 PM
Burke gladly walks next to Gaefried but walks along the cliff. Looking out amongst Smalltown is quite a delight to Burke who lived a very shut in life.

Kish
2015-04-05, 06:55 PM
Gaefried Burke
Oak Jeremie
Kiara
I think you can probably take that as our default marching order, until we explicitly change it and/or need to go single file.

LegendaryKnight
2015-04-06, 11:08 AM
Which way would you like to go? I think the dragon is further up but I think we should look in the cave quickly if necessary this can become a base camp. Gaefried says bringing out a torch and drawing his sword. In case they decide that they want to go inside.

Kish
2015-04-06, 11:12 AM
"I'm curious about what's in the tunnel," Oak says, then continues, "I'm not curious about what it would be like for a dragon to come down from the mountain and trap us in the tunnel. Let's keep going up."

Emperor Demonking
2015-04-06, 11:27 AM
The tunnel mouth is roughly seven foot high, and seven foot wide.

Everyone roll spot and listen checks.

Emperor Demonking
2015-04-08, 04:12 AM
The Hippogriff is roughly thirty foot above you, as all but Gaefried spot him. It looks to be moving in your direction.

Kish
2015-04-08, 06:54 AM
"Hippogriff incoming," Oak says. Kiara moves between the hippogriff and her warforged.
Both ready actions to attack the hippogriff if the hippogriff attacks, though Oak's tone does not indicate an assumption of hostility (unless the hippogriff is obviously hostile).

Emperor Demonking
2015-04-09, 11:57 AM
As you watch the Hipogriff, the Hippogriff looks at you. It makes a loud noise several times as it circles around.

Kish
2015-04-24, 11:09 AM
Once it becomes clear no one else is going to do or say anything, Oak raises a hand. "Hello," he calls to the hippogriff.

Emperor Demonking
2015-04-26, 05:34 AM
The Hippogriff squares before back to where it came.