PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 2,000,000gp, what should I spend it on?

EastbySoutheast
2015-03-22, 07:45 AM
Hi this is my first post here so I don't know if I'm in the right place or not but ill ask it and see what happens...
My group and I are about to start playing a epic campaign starting at level 20 and then going on from there. The DM has given us 2,000,000gp each as starting gold. We are not allowed to buy any epic level items yet but we can otherwise go wild. (I know this quantity is way more than we should ever have at this point but still i want to know your thoughts)

I'm playing a wizard and so far I'm thinking of these items:

Cowl of Warding
Hatharan Mask of True Seeing
Dragons Eye Amulet
Robe of the Archmagi
Vest of the Archmagi
Phoenix cloak
Belt of battle
Gloves of fortunate Striking
Ring of Blinking
Ring of negative protection
Boots of Big stepping
Bag of Holding type III
Metamagic Rod: Extend
Metamagic Rod: Spell Chaining (Lesser)
+1 Eager Spellstrike/+1 Warning Defending Quarterstaff
4x Immovable Rods

In the case of any left over money i was going to buy loads of Tomes of Clear thought
Lastly all books are allowed and i hope you can help me

BWR
2015-03-22, 07:53 AM
In the case of any left over money i was going to buy loads of Tomes of Clear thought

"loads"? You realize you can increase your Intelligence by at most 5 with these, right? Or did you intend to buy other types of Tomes?

JohnDaBarr
2015-03-22, 07:57 AM
Metamagic Rod: Quicken Spell (it's good to have at least the lesser version)
Ring of Wizardry I-IV (double spells of certain lvl from 1 to 4, always good to have)
Rod of Many Wands can be hilarious if used with right wands as a last resort weapon

SinsI
2015-03-22, 08:02 AM
A staff of Twin Repeat Wish with 6 charges and 3 charge staff of Repeat Wish would allow you to get +5 inherent to every attribute for 241830 gp total, much cheaper than with Tomes

bjoern
2015-03-22, 08:08 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items

FocusWolf413
2015-03-22, 08:48 AM
Buy/build a tower on the outskirts of a large city and heavily ward it with high level magic so nobody can get in except for you and your friends. Research spells in there.

You probably want a lot of metamagic rods.

Spells are expensive. If you spend less than 500k on spells, you're doing it wrong.

Have an extra copy of your spellbook somewhere in your tower.

Buy an area of land around the tower, and establish a college for wizards. It's also a lovely source of rp, character background, and strange magic items. Ask your dm about price, income, and what other resources you get.

Requiem_Jeer
2015-03-22, 08:49 AM
A staff of Twin Repeat Wish with 6 charges and 3 charge staff of Repeat Wish would allow you to get +5 inherent to every attribute for 241830 gp total, much cheaper than with Tomes

That uses 10th+ spell level, and is thus an epic magic item. Can't get it.

LooseCannoneer
2015-03-22, 08:49 AM
You could use the wierd item creation rules to give you Contingent: "The rightful wearer desires to activate this contingency" spell on an item. Whenever you want a spell, its there, no action required.

I found it works great with blast spells or Plane Shift.

FocusWolf413
2015-03-22, 09:05 AM
Check out the various grafts. Healing blood would work well.

Combine the belt of battle with a belt of magnificence.

Bronk
2015-03-22, 10:52 AM
"loads"? You realize you can increase your Intelligence by at most 5 with these, right? Or did you intend to buy other types of Tomes?

True, plus the bonuses from reading a +2 and a +3 tome would overlap for a +3 bonus. You should just budget enough gold for the maximum +5 tome and be done with it.

jiriku
2015-03-22, 01:08 PM
Welcome to the Playground!

You've got a great start with this list. As a wizard, you want to concentrate primarily on items that provide defenses, items that augment your spellcasting ability, and items that provide panic buttons for you to use in emergencies. You've got a solid selection of those here.

A vest of the archmagi is a great item, and will eliminate the need for a robe of the archmagi. The cowl of warding and hathran mask of true seeing also provide crucial functions.
I prefer heward's handy haversack instead of (or in addition to) a bag of holding. The reduced time required to get an item during a fight could save your life. You should keep your spells on boccob's blessed book to reduce scribing costs and leave more wealth for other purposes.
I'd strongly suggest a belt of magnificence +6. Adding six to all your stats nets you 60 hit points, +3 AC, +3 initiative, +3 to all saving throws, +3 to all skill checks and ability checks, six more spells per day, higher carrying capacity, and greater durability against being incapacitated by ability damage attacks.
Horizon goggles and the rod of magical precision are both quite useful to a mage who uses ray spells. They are both found in Complete Mage.
Ring of enduring arcana (from Complete Mage) and dispelling cord (from Magic Item Compendium) are quite valuable for debuffing foes and protecting yourself from debuffs when facing other epic casters (which are the only foes worth considering at epic levels).
I want to make an important caveat: if you are in the habit of casting shapechange, passive protection items are mostly worthless because they will be absorbed into your new form. If you intent to make regular use of shapechange, you really don't want any of this gear. Instead, you want items that can be used at the beginning of the day or between combats (such as pearls of power or wands of non-combat spells). You'll then need to rely exclusively on buff spells to defend yourself in combat.

Hiro Quester
2015-03-22, 01:28 PM
Seconding belt of magnificence. The other advantage to enhancing all your stats is freeing up slots for other items with one belt slot.

But add a belt of battle enhancement to it. More actions = more win. Edit: as focus wolf already pointed out.

Also consider items that add to your caster level. Ioun stone, for example. (The Orange one, as I recall.)

Maglubiyet
2015-03-22, 01:44 PM
2,000,000 gp = 20 tons of gold. I would just melt it down, make an anatomically-correct statue of myself, and animate it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-03-22, 01:59 PM
Check out MIC p234, it lists certain effects, namely Enhancement bonuses to ability scores, that can be added to existing items for the same cost as a standalone item of that same bonus.

That Quarterstaff should be an Elvencraft Composite Longbow (RotW), which counts as both a quarterstaff and a bow. Make all three portions +1 Defending with whatever else, and put three Wand Chambers in Dungeonscape in it. Cast Greater Magic Weapon on each portion every day (get a few Pearls of Power to only prepare it once, or a Lesser Rod of Chain Spell), and put all three toward your AC at all times. Defending weapons specifically stack with all other bonuses, including other Defending weapons. You can even apply Unguent of Timelessness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#unguentofTimelessness) to it before making it magical so your Greater Magic Weapon spells last 365 times longer.

Additionally, consider taking Ancestral Relic in BoED and making that Elvencraft bow your Ancestral Relic. You can cast Stone to Flesh on a boulder and then Flesh to Salt from Sandstorm on it to make it worth 5 gp per pound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/wealthAndMoney.htm#wealthOtherThanCoins), then sacrifice it into your relic (burn Incense of Consecration from BoED) to make it magical for free. You can make it any staff-type item, such as a magical staff with charges (Wish at 10 charges per casting, just under 131k gp but it's five Wishes for free, it only costs you 131 days of turning rocks into salt, that's a free +5 to all stats), a custom Runestaff (MIC p224) to give you spontaneous access to highly situational/useful spells, etc., in addition to being a magical weapon. You can swap out existing magical effects of an Ancestral Relic for different ones each time you upgrade/modify it, and if you replace an effect for another one with an identical price (i.e. a Runestaff spell for a different one of equal level) the value increases by zero so the number of days you need to meditate is multiplied by zero. You can just light an Incense of Consecration, swap a spell out for the exact spell you need for less than a free action, extinguish the incense to preserve its remaining duration, and you have access to literally any Wizard spell in the game at a moment's notice.

DMG p285 shows an item with no space limitation is double the normal cost, so for example you can get a Necklace of Adaptation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#necklaceofAdaptation) that doesn't occupy your neck slot for 18k gp.

You can cast Magic Vestment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicVestment.htm) on normal clothing, so it would stand to reason that you should be able to enchant (masterwork) clothing as though it were armor, and add magic armor properties to it. This would occupy your body/robe slot, but you can put Soulfire and Greater Blurring on that, among others.

Get a Gemstone of Heavy Fortification from the Draconomicon, and cast or hire an NPC spellcaster to cast Limited Wish to embed that into your body. Adding +1 Heavy Fortification to armor has exactly the same cost as adding +1 to armor and buying a Gemstone of Heavy Fortification, so you're better off with the gemstone if your armor/body slot or shield is priced higher than +1. The gemstone has the added benefit of being impossible to remove.

EastbySoutheast
2015-03-22, 02:25 PM
Buy/build a tower on the outskirts of a large city and heavily ward it with high level magic so nobody can get in except for you and your friends. Research spells in there.

Spells are expensive. If you spend less than 500k on spells, you're doing it wrong.

Buy an area of land around the tower, and establish a college for wizards. It's also a lovely source of rp, character background, and strange magic items. Ask your dm about price, income, and what other resources you get.

How much would such a thing cost? my character is going to be Neutral evil so is just trying to benefit himself so would probably charge extortionate prices to all of the poor wizards who are studying there, I dont think that makes much difference but still flavour and rp is always good.

Thank you to all of you this is really helping.

unseenmage
2015-03-22, 02:37 PM
A Spellclock from the Clockwork Wonders WotC archives is always a worthy investment.

Sith_Happens
2015-03-22, 04:45 PM
A Circlet of Rapid Casting from MIC is like a Lesser Rod of Quicken but only costs 15000 gp.

I don't see a Lesser Cloak of Displacement on your list. 20% miss chance all the time is one of the best defenses you can have.

Lastly, don't forget to make liberal use of the rule saying that you can combine multiple items that go in the same slot (thereby getting the benefits of both) by paying a 50% surcharge on all but the most expensive one.

EugeneVoid
2015-03-22, 04:59 PM
I don't see a Lesser Cloak of Displacement on your list. 20% miss chance all the time is one of the best defenses you can have.

inb4 smoking armor spikes

Kraken
2015-03-22, 05:15 PM
Multiple amulets of second chances (Magic Item Comp.). Only one can be active, but you only ever need one to be active, so when you use the active one, rip it off and another will become active.

Banjoman42
2015-03-22, 05:23 PM
80,000 dull grey ioun stones, because ioun stones are great, so you want to have as many as possible!

the_david
2015-03-22, 05:28 PM
Create a demiplane, create some fine sized humanoids with Polymorph any Object shenanigans, let them worship you, become a god?

True believer
2015-03-22, 05:50 PM
Ring of freedom of movement : because as a wizard you dont love grappling
Ring of wizardly 3 : extra spells are always welcome
headband of intellect +6
tome of clear thought +5
Cloak of the archmagi
Pearl of Power 9
Crystal ball with telepathy
Bag of holding V
Staff of power
Rod of metamagic quicken
Rod of security

My item selection for my wizard in an epic campaign that i am plaing :D

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-03-22, 07:17 PM
On further consideration, I've come up with the following, considering each category of necessary item effects (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items), assuming you go with my previous suggestion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?405128-2-000-000gp-what-should-I-spend-it-on&p=18996678&viewfull=1#post18996678) of getting an Ancestral Relic Elvencraft Composite Longbow:

Flight: Cast Overland Flight every day.

Mind Blank: Cast Mind Blank every day.

Immunity to Dazed, Exhausted, Fatigued, Nauseated, Sickened, Staggered, and Stunned, among other benefits: Custom item of continuous Favor of the Martyr (SC), shoulders slot, 128,000 gp

Fear Immunity: See Mind Blank (above)

True Seeing: See special senses, below.

Miss Chance: Displacement magic weapon property from Oriental Adventures (continuous effect identical to Displacement spell), 100,000 gp, on your Ancestral Relic Elvencraft Bow, or on +1 Armor Spikes, or on a +1 Gauntlet.

Teleportation: Ideally you should have Abrupt Jaunt (PH2) and/or Persistent (Greater) Dimension Jumper (CM), but an Anklet of Translocation (MIC) for 2,800 gp, doubled in cost for no item space (DMG p285) is also useful.

Death Effects and Energy Drain: Clothing/robe enchanted as +1 Soulfire (BoED) armor for 25,000 gp (+5 equivalent)

Freedom of Movement: Ring of Freedom of Movement (DMG), 40,000 gp

Extradimensional Storage: Handy Haversack, Bag of Holding, etc.

Dispel Magic Counters: Spellblade weapon enchantment (PGtF), 6,000 gp flat cost, added to one of your existing +1 weapons (armor spikes, gauntlet, Ancestral Relic, etc.), you'll need a separate one for each spell you want to block, definitely get Greater Dispel Magic and probably Dispel Psionics if using magic/psionics transparency.

Initiative: Wand of Nerveskitter (SC), 750 gp, in a Wand Chamber of your Ancestral Relic.

Special Senses: Custom item of continuous Touchsight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/touchsight.htm) (XPH) fully augmented at a manifester level of 17 for a 120 ft. range, eyes/face slot; (power level 3 x manifester level 17 x 2,000 gp continuous x 2 for 1 minute/level duration) 204,000 gp

Additional items to get:

Circlet of Rapid Casting (MIC), 15,000 gp, with a +6 Enhancement bonus to Intelligence added (MIC p234) for 36,000 gp

Lesser Metamagic Rod of Chain Spell (CA), 27,200 gp, superb with Command Undead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/commandUndead.htm) and party buffs.

Necklace of Adaptation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#necklaceofAdaptation) that doesn't occupy an item slot (DMG p285), 18,000 gp

Ring of Evasion (DMG), 25,000 gp, plus Ring of Enduring Arcana (CM) added at 1.5x cost (DMG p282) 9,000 gp, plus Ring of Sustenance (DMG) added at 1.5x cost (DMG p282) 3,750 gp, total 37,750 gp

Greater Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis (ToM p156) 22,000 gp, grants the benefits of the Dark Creature template (ToM p161), with a +6 Enhancement bonus to Constitution added (MIC p234) for 36,000 gp

Gemstone of Heavy Fortification (Draconomicon), 35,000 gp, plus NPC spellcasting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spell) Limited Wish to embed it for 2,410 gp

Elvencraft Composite Longbow (RotW), Masterwork three times, three Wand Chambers (Dungeonscape), 1,600 gp, this is your ancestral relic.

Wand of Assay Spell Resistance (SC) at caster level 7, 21,000 gp, still a swift action to activate per Rules Compendium.

Belt of Battle (MIC), 12,000 gp

Boots of Temporal Acceleration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#bootsofTemporalAcceleration) (MIC), 43,000 gp

Vest of the Archmagi (MIC), 200,000 gp

The Seven Veils set (MIC), price of each piece is doubled and none of them occupy an item space (DMG p285), 126,000 gp for the whole set.

Gauntlets of Ghost Fighting (MIC), 4,000 gp, plus Gloves of Fortunate Striking (MIC) added at 1.5x cost (DMG p282) five times, 15,000 gp

Bracers of Divine Luck (CC), 8,000 gp

Total cost: 1,172,510 gp, and I'm pretty sure that's every item space filled and then some. Your +5 Inherent bonuses to every ability score, as well as anything you put on your Ancestral Relic Elvencraft Bow, is absolutely free thanks to Stone to Flesh and Flesh to Salt. See if you can Wish up a +5 Inherent bonus to natural armor, initiative, and each saving throw as well, since they're free.

jiriku
2015-03-22, 07:40 PM
How much would such a thing cost? my character is going to be Neutral evil so is just trying to benefit himself so would probably charge extortionate prices to all of the poor wizards who are studying there, I dont think that makes much difference but still flavour and rp is always good.

It doesn't need to cost you anything. Claim the land in a wilderness area where you don't need to pay for land. Prepare the site with move earth or undermaster. Build the structure and its furnishings yourself with repeated castings of wall of stone and fabricate. Polish it off by planar binding a djinn to use its permanent major creation SLA. Decorate it for the holidays with a few permanent image spells. With the Intelligence and spellpower of a near-epic wizard, obtaining a mundane building is trivial.

Curmudgeon
2015-03-22, 08:24 PM
That Quarterstaff should be an Elvencraft Composite Longbow (RotW), which counts as both a quarterstaff and a bow. Make all three portions +1 Defending with whatever else, and put three Wand Chambers in Dungeonscape in it. Cast Greater Magic Weapon on each portion every day (get a few Pearls of Power to only prepare it once, or a Lesser Rod of Chain Spell), and put all three toward your AC at all times.
Defending has a limitation on what types of weapons it will function with.
Defending

A defending weapon allows the wielder to transfer some or all of the sword’s enhancement bonus to his AC as a bonus that stacks with all others.

bjoern
2015-03-22, 08:33 PM

Well, since were being completely literal, I don't think the weapon "sword" is even a real weapon. Short sword, longsword, great sword. But no sword. That would make the defending property impossible to use.......

Curmudgeon
2015-03-22, 09:51 PM
Well, since were being completely literal, I don't think the weapon "sword" is even a real weapon. Short sword, longsword, great sword. But no sword. That would make the defending property impossible to use.......
Any weapon which uses the word should qualify.
Falchion: This sword, which is essentially a two-handed scimitar, has a curve that gives it the effect of a keener edge.

bjoern
2015-03-22, 10:03 PM
Any weapon which uses the word should qualify.

Wouldn't that fall along the same lines as using flavor text from a spell to make rulings as to how it works.

I mean it says that a falchion is a two handed scimitar......which it isn't....its a falchion.

Just saying that its silly that only swords can be defending. Surely there's a non sword weapon in the MIC that has defending.....

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-03-22, 10:14 PM

We're talking about a character that's actually going to see play, we'll just leave it up to his DM to decide that. /derail

holywhippet
2015-03-22, 10:15 PM
How about something along these lines: http://www.pvponline.com/comic/1999/11/11/thu-nov-11/

Necromancy
2015-03-22, 10:41 PM
I concur, start the game broke and tell DM you blew it all ok hookers and booze

holywhippet
2015-03-22, 10:55 PM
I concur, start the game broke and tell DM you blew it all ok hookers and booze

Actually for that amount you should own several brothels and brewerys/pubs.

Curmudgeon
2015-03-22, 10:56 PM
Wouldn't that fall along the same lines as using flavor text from a spell to make rulings as to how it works.
Sure, if that's how you'd like to think of it. The thing is, "flavor text" is RAW, just like all the rest of the rules. There aren't any rules which say you can ignore "flavor text"; that seems to be be an InterNet invention.

Tvtyrant
2015-03-22, 11:03 PM
I would spend a significant amount on scribing other wizards spells myself. Probably a few hundred thousand in GP at least.

FocusWolf413
2015-03-22, 11:19 PM

The price can't be too high, because people just won't go. There's competition. You need to be smart about it. You might get more out of it by building a reputation of having the best affordable college.

Just because you're evil doesn't mean you're a d-bag. It just means that you're willing to do whatever it takes to get what you want. If being just and reasonable will benefit you (which it would in the case of a wizard college, an institution of great political power), then the intelligent thing to do would be that. Wizards are masterminds. They don't think short term. Have a plan of what you want and a steady income. Have political officials owe favors. Have a college of wizards that have been brainwashed (mundane or magical) over the course of their years of studies to follow you loyally. Evil means using everything you have.

Roleplay your intelligence. Don't be overtly evil.

goto124
2015-03-23, 12:18 AM
May I ask what sort of campaign it is? Starting at level 20 is very unusual. What are you doing, controlling entire countries?

Curmudgeon
2015-03-23, 12:26 AM
If you're at all worried about "easy come, easy go" (i.e., the DM gives you lots of stuff, which in turn makes you thief magnets) then you could spend most of the gp on unstealable improvements. Get all 6 +5 Tomes and Manuals (825,000 gp). Buy grafts like the complete Silthilar Muscles, Tendons, and Bones grafts (Lords of Madness) for +2 more (untyped) to the physical stats (333,000 gp). You could get all the other Silthilar grafts while you're at it: +5 natural armor, +5' base speed, fast healing 2, and so on. Get yourself nonmagical flight in a graft as well. Get an NPC Druid to cast Mantle of the Fiery Spirit spell (Sandstorm) to gain the fire subtype. You could spend all your 2M gp on improvements and have no gear at all. Then if you get hit by Mordenkainen's Disjunction there won't be anything for you to lose.

Grek
2015-03-23, 01:19 AM
50 Orange Ioun Stones, 400000gp worth of school supplies and 100000gp worth of research materials for discovering an arcane version of Blasphemy that kills anyone who does not have a diploma from an accredited institution of magical higher learning.

Curmudgeon
2015-03-23, 01:45 AM
50 Orange Ioun Stones
You're planning to hand these out to all your friends? An Orange Ioun Stone bonus won't stack with other Orange Ioun Stone bonuses: instances of the same source.

Rubik
2015-03-23, 02:01 AM
A Words of Creation'd psychoactive skin of proteus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#skinofProteus). It'll flat-out replace all of your physical stats, give you tons of potential immunities (via types and subtypes, if nothing else), and grant you more utility than any other item you care to name. It even lets you turn into whatever object you want, so long as it's at 15 hardness or under. The utility is insane, and all for 84k. The extra +1 to the item's ML (and thus, the level of the forms you can take) is free, so don't hesitate to snap it up. Buy one for each of your party members.

A weirdstone is 250,000 gp. It blocks all astral and ethereal travel, divination (scrying) spells, conjuration (teleportation) spells, and all similar effects within 6 miles, including in the air and belowground. Just stuff it in a pocket if you want to teleport somewhere.

The Player's Guide to Faerun has the kiira n'vaelahr, which bonds with the user's body and cannot be removed; it can be moved anywhere within the user's body via mental action. It automatically stores 10 hrs of the user's vision and hearing which can then be replayed to the user, but it's hazy, imposing -2 to perception checks in the replay; a standard action of concentration removes the perception penalty; if desired, replay can include thoughts and feelings. At will: project stored memories via Major Image. It costs 73,040 gp.

Champions of Valor has the dukar hand coral: medallion-sized piece of coral inserted beneath the skin of the hand; increases natural healing rate by user's HD (multiplied with long-term care, etc); slowly regenerates lost body parts (1d2 days for something small, like an eye, and 2d8 days for a missing limb), but is not the regeneration special quality; adds +10 to the user's Con score for the purposes of drowning and suffocation; glows in the presence of other hand corals. Combine with the kiira n'vaelahr to store it in your chest cavity and avoid potentially permanent loss of your hand, if you get unlucky. 1,600 gp.

A couple of mirrors of opposition, for 92,000 gp each. Use them on your enemies. Use them to multiply your WBL. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?246396-Another-Addition-To-The-Tippyverse) Just keep them covered when not in use.

How about a decanter of endless water, necklace of adaptation, and a thought bottle or three?

atemu1234
2015-03-23, 07:06 AM
2,000,000 gp = 20 tons of gold. I would just melt it down, make an anatomically-correct statue of myself, and animate it.

Who would proceed to lay claim to all you own, and things you don't.

My recommendation? Buy a stronghold.

Starmage21
2015-03-23, 08:23 AM
There are certain things in the game you need to defend against. Take a look at the list of necessary magic items on this forum somewhere. If you dont use a magic item from every category of required defense, you're doing it wrong.

That said, I think 8 Blessed Books should cover you in terms of spell compliment. 4 for your Spells, and 4 more for backup in case the first 4 are lost. Know every spell in the game, and realize that 90% of them you'll never use, because you're probably always casting something off of the "Spells that FVCKING KILL PEOPLE" list and nothing else without some need to bypass a puzzle or trap or situation that warrants it.

Vest of the Archmagi, Combo Ring of Natural Armor and Protection +5 should have your AC pretty high. Also dont forget a combo Monk's Belt and Belt of Battle. The other ring should probably be a combo Ring of Freedom of Movement and Ring of Evasion.

EastbySoutheast
2015-03-23, 08:28 AM
May I ask what sort of campaign it is? Starting at level 20 is very unusual. What are you doing, controlling entire countries?

This is all part of a multiverse campaign with each player having multiple characters that are various levels that are going to come together as the plot develops.
The 20th level characters are characters from a past campaign (the first my group ever actually completed, I wasn't part of it then so I'm slightly behind in level but that doesn't overly bother me). The previous campaign ended about 10 years ago (game time) with the characters all in authority positions like lord regent of the realm etc etc.
I hope this answers your question

Tindragon
2015-03-23, 10:29 AM
Buy a rundown tavern/inn/brothel (5000-15000 SQ ft) in the mid/lower end of small city (preferable coastal). Get into the Stronghold Builders guide book, and turn that thing into veritable fortress for gambling and whoring, with a black market safety stash for those willing to pay (think safe deposit boxes). Hire only Lawful (meaning loyal) employees and pay them well, allowing them to take tips/bribes for a 10% kickback to the house. Negotiate a deal with the local thieves guild that pays them to be the muscle for 10% more than they would normally take for protection, while leaving you to run internal affairs yourself. Hire a cleric to bind/gain favors from a few moderate (9-15 HD) outsiders, both good and evil, all lawful for use as needed.

Oh, don't change the exterior facade. Just paint over the old signage, and make sure it hangs by only 1 corner, with twine, made with adamantine thread in it.

Loxagn
2015-03-23, 11:43 AM
Fun item idea:

Watch of Stopping. Call it an ornate platinum pocket watch with golden crystal hands and gears, along with a single button.
When activated by pressing the button, the Watch of Stopping will cast Time Stop on the wielder.

And as a Use-Activated item of a 9th-level spell, it costs only 306,000 gp! :D

this is, of course, assuming your DM allows custom magic items.

Sith_Happens
2015-03-23, 11:54 AM
And as a Use-Activated item of a 9th-level spell, it costs only 306,000 gp! :D

Anything with a price of more than 200,000 gp before factoring in material and/or XP costs of the prerequisite spells is an epic item, which EXSE can't have yet.

Loxagn
2015-03-23, 12:16 PM
Anything with a price of more than 200,000 gp before factoring in material and/or XP costs of the prerequisite spells is an epic item, which EXSE can't have yet.

Aww, drat. Well, if he made the item a 3/day item, he'd get much less use out of it, but I believe it'd come out to 163,200 gp that way, well within that limit. Still vetoed if the DM doesn't allow custom items. Pity.

EastbySoutheast
2015-03-23, 01:21 PM
consider taking Ancestral Relic in BoED and making that Elvencraft bow your Ancestral Relic

I really like where youre going with this but my character design is as a NE character and you need to have a good alignment to take this feat, any way to get around this?

Sith_Happens
2015-03-23, 01:28 PM
I really like where youre going with this but my character design is as a NE character and you need to have a good alignment to take this feat, any way to get around this?

Look at Ancestral Relic again, it's a general feat. Never mind, checked it and it has "Any good alignment" as a specific prerequisite. Disregard this post.

Rubik
2015-03-23, 01:52 PM
Add a bunch of metamagic rod effects onto the same rod. You can only use one rod per spell, but there's nothing about more than one metamagic rod effect.

In fact, add a bunch of item effects to every item you've got.

FOR SCIENCE! FOR THE LULZ!

Segev
2015-03-23, 01:57 PM
Acquire (buying, if you must) a piece of chitin from a Formian Queen, and make a Simulacrum out of it. Polymorph her into something portable - a familiar-type creature would be ideal. Her 50-mile radius telepathy will serve you well for communication, and despite having her hit dice halved, she'll still cast as a level 17 sorceress. As a simulacrum of your creation, she is utterly your creature.

A Mirror of Mental Prowess is also a very useful item. Build your stronghold to protect yourself, and send your Astral Projection through the Mirror to your allies after scrying them out.

Don't be afraid to make liberal use of Magic Jar. In fact, using that to possess a skeleton could be a good way to fake being a lich. A lich so powerful he can possess a new skeleton in mere rounds after being destroyed.

Rubik
2015-03-23, 03:06 PM
A shrink collar, from the Arms & Equipment Guide. Go cast Dominate Monster on the tarrasque. Put the collar around its neck. Now you have a pet!

Add whatever other enhancements to the collar that you see fit.

KingSmitty
2015-03-23, 03:12 PM

I have to second this approach. Nice magic items are cool and all, however your real goal is to hermit yourself away and sit on the cash expanding your research in as many ways as possible. Even craft some custom spells, my dm lets me do that. I find a low level spell i wish had higher dc's and research it, though i've never had 2 million in gold or a tower to help researching go easier. You have that luxury, use it.

Rubik
2015-03-23, 05:05 PM
I have to second this approach. Nice magic items are cool and all, however your real goal is to hermit yourself away and sit on the cash expanding your research in as many ways as possible. Even craft some custom spells, my dm lets me do that. I find a low level spell i wish had higher dc's and research it, though i've never had 2 million in gold or a tower to help researching go easier. You have that luxury, use it.So, you build a character in an epic fantasy adventure game...

...and you spend your time sitting in a library, reading.

Not between adventures, just...what you normally do.

That sounds really heroic.

Segev
2015-03-23, 05:07 PM
So, you build a character in an epic fantasy adventure game...

...and you spend your time sitting in a library, reading.

Not between adventures, just...what you normally do.

That sounds really heroic.

Hey, somebody has to be the Mysterious Old Wizard!

EastbySoutheast
2015-03-24, 08:43 AM
Look at Ancestral Relic again, it's a general feat. Never mind, checked it and it has "Any good alignment" as a specific prerequisite. Disregard this post.

My DM has allowed me to take this feat as long as its improved at a Desacrated/unhallowed location.
So the good alignment has been removed as a prerequisite. Its gonna be good

Dysart
2015-03-24, 08:50 AM
Just incase nobody has mentioned it, create a wonderous item that functions as a permanent Mordenkainen (or Mage's if you're in Pathfinder) Magnificent Mansion. It'll basically act as your home away from home and be able to contain anything and everything you'll ever need. Oh and it's impervious to theives unless they take the door handle/activation item off your cold dead corpse.

Rubik
2015-03-24, 10:00 AM
To protect any magic items you make, cast Ghostform on yourself (with Ghostly Grasp to ensure you can handle physical objects) and a Chained Sequester on your items to make them invisible to pretty much everything, even True Seeing. That way anyone looking for your items, either visually or magically, won't see anything. Then apply a clasp of safeguarding (from Dungeonscape) to each of your items to protect them from everything from Fireballs to Disjunctions.

SinsI
2015-03-24, 03:11 PM
How about a ring of three daily Wishes and a ring of two daily Wishes?
first one is (9*17*1800+5*5000*50)*3/5 = 915,240gp, 165240 of which is pre-XP, so not Epic.
second one is 610,160 gp and not Epic either. Total is 1,525,400 gp.

That's maximum inherent bonus or an item worth 125k that you can create every day.

unseenmage
2015-03-26, 02:16 AM
Now that I'm home from vacation I can elaborate on my previous Spellclock suggestion.

The Spellclock (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070312a) is a device from the WotC Eberron, Clockwork Wonders archives. It costs the same amount regardless of which spell is built into it and it will automatically recast that spell over and over again every hour on the hour.

I like combining multiple Spellclocks. Say one of True Creation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/spells/trueCreation.htm): golden humanoid statue then another of Minor Servitor (SS) for intelligent friends. Another neat combo is True Creation: Shapesand (Sa) and Awaken Sands (Sa). Both of the above combinations create minions who are free willed but friendly. A Spellclock of Greater Humanoid Essence (RoE) will make them into humanoids, allowing them to be mind controlled with yet another Spellclock with the correct spell in it.

You get the picture. With enough gp you can buy enough Spellclocks to do basically whatever you want.
You could even buy one with Genesis in it to grow your demiplane every hour.

Tvtyrant
2015-03-26, 02:40 PM
Now that I'm home from vacation I can elaborate on my previous Spellclock suggestion.

The Spellclock (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070312a) is a device from the WotC Eberron, Clockwork Wonders archives. It costs the same amount regardless of which spell is built into it and it will automatically recast that spell over and over again every hour on the hour.

I like combining multiple Spellclocks. Say one of True Creation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/spells/trueCreation.htm): golden humanoid statue then another of Minor Servitor (SS) for intelligent friends. Another neat combo is True Creation: Shapesand (Sa) and Awaken Sands (Sa). Both of the above combinations create minions who are free willed but friendly. A Spellclock of Greater Humanoid Essence (RoE) will make them into humanoids, allowing them to be mind controlled with yet another Spellclock with the correct spell in it.

You get the picture. With enough gp you can buy enough Spellclocks to do basically whatever you want.
You could even buy one with Genesis in it to grow your demiplane every hour.

You can also make a conveyer belt army with Wall of Iron, Animate Object and Permanency. Nets you a gargantuan robot every 6 seconds, make 15 mil a year.

Rubik
2015-03-26, 02:43 PM
Magical traps are better than spell clocks, since their reset times are set upon creation. Instead of 1/hour, do it 1/round, or even 1/initiative count.