PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Red Hand of Doom Level Range? [Pls no spoilers]

Firechanter
2015-03-22, 10:04 AM
Hello Playground,

first off, despite the thread tag I am writing this as a player, so please NO SPOILERS! This is just intended to resolve a question which kinda puzzles my DM and me. (We want to start the RHoD game next week.)

The question:
The cover shot of the English version reads "levels 6-12".
My DM uses the German version, which completely omits this line on the cover. The intro chapter, however, reads that the campaign is intended to start at level 5, and (re-translated) "reach level 10 for the dramatic final battle".
We have already settled for starting at level 5; the question is just how far up we will get. The DM would prefer to run this game with minimal customization effort, so assume that all creatures will be used as published.

So, can anyone who DMed this campaign for a group of _4_ PCs with the encounters _as written_ and handed out XP _by DMG rules_ tell us how many levelups the PCs actually attained? And, as much as that is possible without giving spoilers, at what pace the party leveled (relative to the chapters)?

BWR
2015-03-22, 10:37 AM
No personal experience since I'm currently playing through it but people I have spoken to think a cap of 10th sounds odd and unlikely. You will be getting a lot of xp throughout, unless the German version cuts out or cuts down on certain encounters.
Not to mention that there is at least one encounter early on that can be rather difficult for the intended 6th level party (depending on party tactics, DM tactics and dice rolls, of course). In this case I would advise just going with the original English 6-12th

Firechanter
2015-03-22, 11:14 AM
It can be assumed with reasonable certainty that the German edition did not actively change anything, except for possible clerical, translation or editing errors. The German publisher of 3.5 kind of had a reputation in that direction, to the extent that its abbreviation "F&S" (for "Feder & Schwert" = Pen and Sword) has been re-interpreted as "Falsch & Schlecht" (Wrong & Bad) by the community.

P.S.
On the other hand, the DM says that he experienced the campaign as a player, and they had gone from 5-10, and that it was "ridiculously easy" despite the rest of the group being "D&D Dyslexics". But that may include his DM at the time, so if he played out his creatures as mindless zergs, that would explain a lot.

BWR
2015-03-22, 12:17 PM
It can be assumed with reasonable certainty that the German edition did not actively change anything, except for possible clerical, translation or editing errors. The German publisher of 3.5 kind of had a reputation in that direction, to the extent that its abbreviation "F&S" (for "Feder & Schwert" = Pen and Sword) has been re-interpreted as "Falsch & Schlecht" (Wrong & Bad) by the community.

P.S.
On the other hand, the DM says that he experienced the campaign as a player, and they had gone from 5-10, and that it was "ridiculously easy" despite the rest of the group being "D&D Dyslexics". But that may include his DM at the time, so if he played out his creatures as mindless zergs, that would explain a lot.

Yeah, player and DM competence is a key factor in most things. If the DM doesn't know how to play to the enemy's strength or their abilities, obviously things will be easier than if the DM is a bit more knowledgeable
Really, if you're a bit careful starting at 5th shouldn't be a big problem. There are a couple of nasty encounters early on but with a little luck and planning you should be fine. But unless they cut down on xp given you will end up around 12th level (so I've heard).

NeoPhoenix0
2015-03-22, 12:25 PM
where you end up in this adventure will depend on a lot of factors. without out spoiling anything there are some choices players can make, although a lot of players will probably make same choices. however starting at level 5 you should be able to at least get to level 10 if not higher, if you don't die at certain points.