PDA

View Full Version : Help with campaign idea needed

weenie
2015-03-22, 10:56 AM
The idea for my upcoming campaign is based on the history of the Republic of Cospaia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Cospaia).

What happened the that small piece of what's currently Italy is so hilarious in my opinion, that I'm not going to change a single thing. Gaining independence by a clerical error is just too funny to pass up, and I'm sure my players will love it too. The question is what happens after independence? Clearly the region will attract a whole array of interesting people, from businessmen trying to make a tax-free buck, to smugglers and violent criminals hiding from the law of the surrounding states. But it would be nice to have a few interconnected story arcs. Maybe there could be a band of thugs trying to extract protection from the tobacco growers, while somebody has simultaneously been stealing tobacco from warehouses, so the players could be hired to investigate the thief while the thugs try to make it harder for them, so the tobacco growers will cave in to their demands? Your ideas are welcome.

As for the campaign setting, it would be using either d&d 3.5, or maybe the Slayers d20. We tried playing a Slayers campaign recently and it was quite fun. Also, the story of the republic has a comic element to it, that goes hand in hand with the general wacky feel of Slayers.

Maglubiyet
2015-03-22, 12:56 PM
That's an awesome story! Seems like an ideal setting for a "Old West justice" style of campaign -- the local families who are just trying to make a living vs. ruthless organized outsiders trying to muscle in and exploit the area. The PC's could be a force to counter a complete take-over and help establish a more beneficent system. A bunch of low-level sabotage and bully encounters could even culminate it a Wyatt Earp/OK Corral or Seven Samurai showdown.

Rad Mage
2015-03-24, 01:24 PM
I am reminded of a certain town in Alaska, can't remember which, that had elected a housecat to the office of mayor. Apparently he's the best mayor they ever had.