PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Gish Homebrew- Sorcerer Origin: Battle

Blue_C.
2015-03-22, 03:16 PM
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?404992-Will-we-ever-get-a-proper-Fighter-Mage-class) sparked an idea, so I figured I may as well place it here for evaluation.

Sorcerer Origin - Battle
You are the child of war, and your greatest abilities unlocked in the midst of battle. Perhaps you are the favored of a war deity, perhaps you simply understand warfare in a manner that no one else can see, you bring the most potent of arcane spells into the middle of the fray, destroying your enemies directly. Instead of fighting at a distance, cowering behind your heavily armored allies, you are the one that others hide behind.

Resilient: When you select this origin at 1st level, you gain proficiency in light armor and any one weapon of your choosing. Whether this reflects training you received in your youth or simply innate understanding of the weapons of war is up to you.
The magic flowing through you also makes your body hardier. At 1st level, your hit point maximum increases by 1, and increases by 1 again whenever you take a level in this class.

Armor Training: Your knowledge of using armor increases starting at 6th level. You gain proficiency with Medium Armor and Shields.

Warpath: At 14th level, you become an even greater force of destruction on the battlefield. Beginning at this level, when you use the Attack action, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long or short rest.
Also starting at 14th level, you add your Charisma modifier to the damage you deal with any cantrip.

Increased Training: Your knowledge of armor increases again at 18th level. You gain proficiency with heavy armor, and you may use two bonus weapon attacks from the warpath class feature per rest.

I tried to strike a balance with this to exist in games both with and without feats. In a game without feats, the armor abilities needed to come online soon enough that the Battle Sorcerer would be able to make use of them to get in and out of melee. In a game with feats, I would imagine that every battle sorcerer will pick up heavy armor proficiency at 8th level, at the cost of some of their spell DC.

Amnoriath
2015-03-23, 10:39 AM
This option is really under powered. You draw out proficiencies much longer than needed an you have no sorcery point option. Any other war sub class option is better than this.

Wolfsraine
2015-03-23, 12:07 PM
This option is really under powered. You draw out proficiencies much longer than needed an you have no sorcery point option. Any other war sub class option is better than this.

I agree with this. I would do this:

Militarized Magic(3rd): You are a child of war, as such you were trained in the use of martial weapons and are proficient with medium armor and shield. As a result of your upbringing during times of war your magic that courses through your veins has made you heartier, your hit point maximum increases by 1, and increases by 1 again whenever you take a level in this class. (The hp thing is meh, since draconic origin already gets it, but I'll leave it here for now since I can't think of anything better atm.)

Warpath(6th): When you take the attack action you can use your bonus action to make a second weapon attack.

Blade Magic(14th): When you cast a spell, you can spend sorcery points equal to the spells level, if you do, the spell is channeled through your weapon. You can use your bonus action to make an attack with the weapon the spell is residing in. The spell will remain stored in your weapon for a number of rounds equal to your charisma modifier or until discharged. If you crit with your attack, the spell will also crit.

Spell Drinker(18th): When an enemy casts a spell within 30' of you that you can see. You can use your reaction to make an arcana check, if you succeed you syphon the magical energy of the spell into your sword. On your turn, you can choose to release the spell with no effect or make an attack, on a successful attack you cast the spell. You can use this ability once per short rest.

Blue_C.
2015-03-23, 07:35 PM
Thank you for the feedback!

I've no strong objection to granting proficiencies earlier. I started deliberately underpowered, so it would be easier to scale upwards from there. I modeled when the class got its proficiencies slightly on the duskblade, which granted light armor and light shields from level 1, medium armor at level 4, and heavy shields at level 7, and existed in a world where you can grant yourself heavy armor casting via a feat once you can cast in medium armor. And now that I've gone and typed all that, heavy armor at 6th level no longer seems too much too soon, since the ability was a lot stronger in 3.5 than it is in 5E (even if you don't have feats in the game).

Also Wolf, the first origin feature should be 1st, not 3rd. Sorcerers are weird that way. But otherwise, I'll almost certainly mine your version for ideas.

One other idea I had was modifying Careful spell, perhaps allowing it to be used for free when you are included in the blast radius. I may tone that down to simply giving advantage for free, which will allow you to choose between a free version that can be used with every spell cast and a stronger one that costs a spell point and can be used at range.

I'll mess around with it when I have more time.