PDA

View Full Version : top of your play list

Nightwing
2007-04-11, 06:54 AM
This is the modern world. I'm sure we all have mp3s and ipods. So, what is your play list? Please only pick 10.

mine: mr. bojangles-jerry jeff waker
sloop john b.-beach boys
act naturally-beatles
you've got to hide your love away-beatles
obla dee obla da-beatles
fire and rain-james taylor
please come to boston-joan baez
mrs. robinson-simon and garfunkel
hotel californea-eagles
time of the season-the zombees

Dhavaer
2007-04-11, 06:59 AM
Mine's in order of artist, so actually taking my top 10 wouldn't be terribly illustrative. My favourite 10 are:

Warriors of the World United Manowar
Prelude to War Bear McCreary
Under Your Spell Amber Benson
Awaking the Centuries Haggard
Instruments of Destruction Transformers NRG
Almost Human Voltaire
After the Gold Rush k.d.lang
Secret Agent Man The Superjesus
Forever Yours Nightwish
The Soulforged Blind Guardian

Khantalas
2007-04-11, 07:00 AM
Another One Rides the Bus
Amish Paradise
Like A Surgeon
Yoda
Fat
Smells Like Nirvana
A Complicated Song
Hardware Store
Angry White Boy Polka
eBay Song.

Because "Weird Al" Yankovic is alphabetically the first artist in my playlist.

If you ask the most commonly played songs, though...

I Feel Fantastic
Kenesaw Mountain Landis
That Spells DNA
Shop Vac
Ikea
First of May
Millionaire Girlfriend
Baby Got Back
Flickr
The Town Crotch.

See the pattern?

Dihan
2007-04-11, 07:13 AM
Forever by Within Temptation
Hand of Sorow by Within Temptation
Ghost in my Emotion by Season's End
Fantasmic by Nightwish
Dark Chest of Wonders by Nightwish
Shadow VI II I by Gazette
Schwarz by Tokio Hotel
Dead Sea Monkeys by Lemon Demon
Word Disassociation by Lemon Demon
Smells Like Nirvana by Weird Al

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-11, 07:24 AM
This is the modern world.

Sorry to dissapoint.

Dead Sea Monkeys by Lemon Demon
Word Disassociation by Lemon Demon

Gah! though I secretly prefer 'This Hyper World' or 'Action Hero Movie Boy'

Dragonrider
2007-04-11, 08:03 AM
The top of my list would yield a weird (an inaccurate) selection. Therefore I had better go by favorite. The old Windows Media player had an option to sort by "most played", but I can't find the feature in the new one, so...I'm winging it here from my "5 star"-rated songs list.

Father and Son: Cat Stevens
Same Place: Nothin' to See
Joseph's Song: David Hunt
Heaven/Where True Love Goes: Yusuf Islam
Behind the Veil: Nothin' to See
Either Way: Guster
Pinch Me: Barenaked Ladies
Where Do the Children Play?: Cat Stevens
A Long December: Counting Crows
Boston and St. John's: Great Big Sea

Mind you, not in any particular order.

Kiero
2007-04-12, 08:24 AM
Mostly downtempo and trip hop; lots of featured tracks that appeared in CSI plus my usual hit of Bonobo.

Penguinsushi
2007-04-12, 09:56 AM
Is this albums or songs? ...or is that open to interpretation? I think i'm going to decide on albums..

At the moment, most played:

1. The Crane Wife - The Decemberists
2. The Dust of Retreat - Margot & The Nuclear So and So's
3. In The Reins - Iron & Wine / Calexico
4. Bring me The Workhorse - My Brightest Diamond
5. Achilles Heel - Pedro The Lion
6. The Black Parade - My Chemical Romance
7. Neon Bible - The Arcade Fire
8. A Fever You Can't Sweat Out - Panic! At The Disco
9. Lifted... - Bright Eyes
10. Songs of Ireland - Brobdingnagian Bards

~PS

Dib
2007-04-13, 03:25 AM
oooh... tough choice... erm... in no particular order...

I Am Hated - SlipKnoT
Everything Ends - SlipKnoT
Disasterpiece - SlipKnoT
Devil Is a Loser - Lordi
Icon of Dominance - Lordi
Bad Touch - Bloodhound Gang
One - Metallica
Down With The Sickness - Disturbed
Snap - SlipKnoT
30/30 - 150 - Stone Sour

Fredricus
2007-04-13, 04:17 AM
Hmm... I haven't played my most played for awhile.

As I look at my top 25 most played these 10 i think I like most.

Path - Apocalyptica
Land of Confusion - Disturbed
Welcome to the Jungle - Guns N' Roses
Holy Diver - Dio
Wild Child - W.A.S.P.
Seven - Megadeth
Only Happy When It Rains - Garbage
Paradise City - Guns N' Roses
Midlife Crisis - Faith No More
Platitude - Bloodpit

Sewer_Bandito
2007-04-13, 06:43 PM
Uhhmm, well my top 10 on the play list is 10 songs from the same band (highest at 245, and the tenth one at 117) But, I'll post 'em anyway :smallwink:

1.Crystal Baller -245 plays
2.Semi-Charmed Life -221 plays
3.Blinded -220 plays
4.Never Let You Go -201 plays
5.Jumper -188 plays
6.10 Days Late -177 plays
7.Wounded -168 plays
8.Deep Inside of You -150 plays
9.Graduate -121 plays
10.How's it Going to Be -117 plays

...and all of them are by Third Eye Blind, the next closest is Brand New Song by Reel Big fish, with 97 plays :smalleek:

FdL
2007-04-13, 08:56 PM
Nah, I don't do single random songs. I listen to full albums.

Lately I can't get enough of Television's Marquee Moon, also some non-ambient Brian Eno, Smog's A River is Not Too Much To Love etc.
And I really liked the self titled album by a new band called Howling Bells. I was also pleasantly surprised by Page France's Hello Dear Wind.

Oh, and in case anyone cares, IMHO iPod's are quite overrated.

General Leitmann
2007-04-13, 11:49 PM
mp3's? I have an iPod and an iMac, I run m4a's and nothing else :smallbiggrin:

as for my playlist top ten;

1. Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie
2. Money - Pink Floyd
3. Time - Pink Floyd
4. Any Other World - Mika
5. Relax (Take It Easy) - Mika
6. Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
7. Grace Kelly - Mika
8. Speak To Me/Breathe - Pink Floyd
9. Take A Breath - David Gilmour
10. Castellorizon/On An Island - David Gilmour

Cult_of_the_Raven
2007-04-14, 12:02 AM
the top on my playlist is the first ten songs in A Valid Path by The Alan Parsons Project. I left 'em there cuz they rock. After that are my three Lemon Demon albums - Damn Skippy, Dinosaurchestra, and Hip to the Javabean. of those albums, my favorites happen to be:

A recurring dream within a dream by the alan parsons project
Between you and me by Lemon demon
Kitten is angry by Lemon Demon
and
Smell like a cookie all day by Lemon Demon

ZombieRockStar
2007-04-14, 12:16 AM
Current "on the go" playlist on my iPod...

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley
Moon Over Goldsborough - The Mountain Goats
Between the Bars - Elliott Smith
The Man Who Sold the World - Nirvana
Nomadic Revelry (All Around) - Bonnie 'Prince' Billy
Little Girl Blue - Janis Joplin
One Man Show - The Polyphonic Spree
Monty Got a Raw Deal - R.E.M.
Desolation Row - Bob Dylan
My Body is a Cage - The Arcade Fire

...I was rather depressed when I put it together.

zeratul
2007-04-14, 12:25 AM
Well I dont technically have an mp3 player.............

but if I did it would be this

Bare Naked Ladies - Pinch Me
Voltaire - Vampire club
Weezer - In The Garage
Ben Folds - Army
Ben Kweller - Commerce TX
Thoushaltnot - Everyone Forgets
Dean Grey - Boulevard of Broken Songs
Death Cab For Cutie - New Year
Nirvana - Lithium
Semisonic - Closing Time

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-14, 07:10 AM
Frankly, I don't know. I like a lot of different stuff, ranging from bands like jesu to bands like The Flaming Lips.

Ted_Stryker
2007-04-14, 05:20 PM
I've got well over 100 playlists on my iTunes, mostly in the form of complete albums, but I've also got a number of singles/individual songs off of albums that get a lot of play.

My 6 most-played songs right now:

They Never Got You - Spoon (91 plays)
Lazy Eye - Silversun Pickups (84)
Bitch Please 2 - Eminem and friends (81)
Buy Her Candy - Sleater-Kinney (77)
Gigantic - Pixies (68)
Sex & Violence - STP (66)

(Drug Ballad by Eminem would be #7 with 58 plays, and then there are a lot of songs in the low- to mid-50s for total plays).

4 most-played albums:

Dig Me Out - Sleater-Kinney (46)
Sea Change - Beck (45)
Surfer Rosa - Pixies (43)
All Hands On The Bad One - Sleater-Kinney (41)

(Pink Moon by Nick Drake is #5 at 36 plays, there are a couple more at 35, and then a bunch in the low-30s through mid-20s.)

Dragor
2007-04-14, 05:29 PM
Well, the songs I listen to most on my iPod are:

Set It Off- Audioslave
Exploder- Audioslave
Last Post On The Bugle- The Libertines
Over The Hills and Far Away - Led Zeppelin
Echoes- Pink Floyd
Black Night - Deep Purple
Blessed Persistence - 16 Horsepower.

Wow. I have varied music taste :smallbiggrin:

ishi
2007-04-14, 05:54 PM
I don't have an iPod, but I use last.fm on my computer, so it keeps track of my stuff...

Seven Nation Army-The White Stripes
Get Over It-OK Go
Animal I Have Become-Three Days Grace
Supermassive Black Hole-Muse
Jenny Was a Friend of Mine-The Killers
Starlight-Muse
Time is Running Out-Muse
Callbacks-We Are Scientists
Somebody Told Me-The Killers
This River is Wild-The Killers

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-04-14, 08:04 PM
Siuil A Run (Walk My Love) - Celtic Woman
Mario Takes A Walk - Jesse Cooke
Night Rain - Jim Brickman
Across the Universe of Time - Haley Westerna
I Cannot See His Color - James Newton Howard
What Are You Asking Me - James Newton Howard
Those We Don't Speak Of - James Newton Howard
Requiem For A Dream - Clint Mansell
Midnight In Montgomery - Alan Jackson
Ghost Riders In the Sky - Johnny Cash
Bring Me To Life - Evanescence

So you got your celtic, your jazz, your classical, your country and your rock.

I'm nothing if not eclectic.

Cyrano
2007-04-14, 09:51 PM
Lords of Kobol - I ASSUME it's Bear McReary, because he did everything else, but I ain't sure.
Reuniting the Fleet/Wander my Friends (It differs. They are the same song, but one is played celtic and one actually is SUNG by a celtic. And has lyrics.) - Bear McReary.
Requiem For A Dream - Clint Mansell
Keep the Car Running - Arcade Fire.
No Cars Go - Arcade Fire
Intervention - Arcade Fire (COME ON! They have a Hurdy Gurdy, an accordian, AND A TAMBOURINE!)
Lust for Blood - Gackt (Hey, its like, beautiful poetic opening, followed by creepy strobe lights and the Japanese version of death metal. Whats that? Awesome? Why, thats right, Timmy! Have an awesome song.)
Talk - Coldplay (shush.)
Kashmire - Led Zepplin
And, for my grand finale....
I actually only have 9 songs on my Mp3.

Amotis
2007-04-14, 10:05 PM
Wow, props to anyone who said Clint Mansell...but you're missing one of my favorite works by him. The soundtrack to The Fountain. Buy it, it's worth it.

Let me name a few reasons:

1) The Fountain is an awesome movie.
2) Mogwai contributed. One of my favorite bands. You can tell they are there...yet it's so subtle. Awesome awesome choice whoever picked these post-rock gods. It wouldn't be the same album without them.
3) Kronos Quartet contributed. One of my favorite quartets. See where this is going? They are a great pushing group and I love how they put themselves together and contribute to so many things. From Tobin, to Xenekis, to Ginsberg. Love them.
4) It is composed at such a natural and subtle and yet raw emotional level. His lack of real indebth training as a composer shows at some spots...but holy poo poo, some of the glorious raise your palms to heaven moments make up for it. I admire him as a composer even if I do not strive to be him.

_________
edito- oh right, this thread has a topic.

Current Album because Fdl, like always, is right and albums should be listened to as albums. They were put together for a reason: Mono and World's End Girlfriend's joint album. It rocks.

Cyrano
2007-04-14, 10:11 PM
Wow, props to anyone who said Clint Mansell...but you're missing one of my favorite works by him

Im sorry, but that just sounds so funny.
"YOU FAILED TO READ MY MIND AND CHOSE THE WRONG MUSIC! YOUR OPINION IS WRONG! BWHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"
Well, not really, but still.

Icewalker
2007-04-14, 10:26 PM
White Shadows - Coldplay
Speed of Sound - also Coldplay
Square One - still Coldplay
Pain - Three Days Grace (pretty creepy/masochistic lyrics, but still a good song)
Kobeiniki - OZMA
Jack Sparrow, The Kraken, Davy Jones - each of these songs flows into the next, Second Pirates of the Caribbean Soundtrack.
Still Waiting - Sum 41
Snow - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Drown Me Slowly - Audioslave
Wizards in Winter - Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Drown - Three Days Grace
Now or Never - Three Days Grace
Animal I Have Become - Three Days Grace
You Know My Name - Chris Cornell
Explosive - Bond
Soul Meets Body - Death Cab for Cutie

My list just keeps on goin...
Korobeiniki, White Shadows, Speed of Sound, and You Know My Name in particular

Oooh, James Newton Howard did King Kong, as I just found out, and then went and bought.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-14, 10:38 PM
How about this:

Anything by Preston Reed
Anything by Andy Mckee
A metric ****ton of metal

That pretty much lists it all.

Cyrano
2007-04-14, 11:07 PM
How about this:

Anything by Preston Reed
Anything by Andy Mckee
A metric ****ton of metal

That pretty much lists it all.

You have three categories for your entire collection, that consists of 10 or less songs?

Amotis
2007-04-14, 11:08 PM
Moon Over Goldsborough - The Mountain Goats
Between the Bars - Elliott Smith
Nomadic Revelry (All Around) - Bonnie 'Prince' Billy

:smallamused: Glad I could of been assitance. Hehe, no really...that was a pretty depressing set list. But I would of put (Antichrist Television Blues), which rocks btw, on it. Super awesome angry depressing.

Lately I can't get enough of Television's Marquee Moon, also some non-ambient Brian Eno, Smog's A River is Not Too Much To Love etc.
And I really liked the self titled album by a new band called Howling Bells. I was also pleasantly surprised by Page France's Hello Dear Wind.

Pre-Fdl my punk was pretty bare minimum, I'm sorry to say. But hell, I'm really starting to love me some good punk. Smog is awesome (plus isn't he dating Jonna? Hehe...) and one of my favorite singer songwriters. I really like Eno too...but I really like some of ambiant stuff. But his Bowie stuff rocks too. I like him in general.

Page France though? Really? I heard a bit but I though they were too...iono boring to be blunt. Reminded me of a cross between a the decemberists and sufjan stevens, which isn't bad I guess...but those two bands do it very well and I don't really need to hear it twice. I guess I should look into them more.

(Drug Ballad by Eminem would be #7 with 58 plays, and then there are a lot of songs in the low- to mid-50s for total plays).

4 most-played albums:

Dig Me Out - Sleater-Kinney (46)
Sea Change - Beck (45)
Surfer Rosa - Pixies (43)
All Hands On The Bad One - Sleater-Kinney (41)

(Pink Moon by Nick Drake is #5 at 36 plays, there are a couple more at 35, and then a bunch in the low-30s through mid-20s.)

Propts to Sleater Kinney and Nick Drake, I love their The Woods and Bryter Later albums. Really good stuff.

But as for rap, do you dig more then Em? I personally have gotten really into El-P and his record company. Really great stuff and his latest album, I'll Sleep When You're Dead, is probably right up there in my top 5 most recently repeated albums. Great stuff and if you love hip hop I think you would dig it too.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-14, 11:09 PM
No D'anna. I'm saying I cannot choose, so I pick random songs out of each category and bam! my top ten songs.

FdL
2007-04-14, 11:39 PM
Wow, props to anyone who said Clint Mansell...but you're missing one of my favorite works by him. The soundtrack to The Fountain. Buy it, it's worth it.

I'm going to listen to this then. I can't mentally place the movie, but then I'm not very aware of the new releases...

Current Album because Fdl, like always, is right and albums should be listened to as albums. They were put together for a reason: Mono and World's End Girlfriend's joint album. It rocks.

Hah! I'm not always right, but that was a sweet thing to say :)

Pre-Fdl my punk was pretty bare minimum, I'm sorry to say. But hell, I'm really starting to love me some good punk.

Did I do that to you? :) That's awesome, goes to show what an open minded person you are.

I can't remember if you already knew Television's Marquee Moon, so I'm going to assume you do. The other day I was listening to it and thought it was really a shame because is not such a well known album, and I got to thinking that everyone should listen to it before forming a rock band :p

Smog is awesome (plus isn't he dating Jonna? Hehe...) and one of my favorite singer songwriters. I really like Eno too...but I really like some of ambiant stuff. But his Bowie stuff rocks too. I like him in general.

Smog is awesome. For some reason I haven't been listening to his latest albums, say, 3 albums, after Knock Knock. So now I'm in the mood for it and I have began slowly listening to him again.

With Eno, I got back into him after listening to a Kevin Ayers live cd featuring Eno, John Cale and Nico, and after listening to his first album I'm discovering the scope of his music. But mostly song-oriented stuff for now...I was very impressed at the song Driving Me Backwards that opens the record.

Page France though? Really? I heard a bit but I though they were too...iono boring to be blunt. Reminded me of a cross between a the decemberists and sufjan stevens, which isn't bad I guess...but those two bands do it very well and I don't really need to hear it twice. I guess I should look into them more.

It is kinda bland, I accept it. But I guess I had really low expectations for this one, so I enjoyed it when I listened to it. Plus the female singer sings exactly like she looks (I have to admit one of the reasons that made me listen to the album was that the keyboardist looked really cute. Definitely a bad reason to listen to a record though hahaha)

The Howling Bells are a lot better. They are kinda familiar sounding, with a female singer, I think they have something of a rockier Mazzy Star or velvety alterna-guitar like Madder Rose...

Ted_Stryker
2007-04-15, 05:27 PM
Propts to Sleater Kinney and Nick Drake, I love their The Woods and Bryter Later albums. Really good stuff.
I haven't really caught up to The Woods. I bought it at the same time I bought a few other S-K albums, and that was the one that sort of fell out of the loop. I'll have to get back to it one of these days.

I like all three of Nick Drake's studio albums a lot, but I like Pink Moon the best. They're all good, though.

But as for rap, do you dig more then Em? I personally have gotten really into El-P and his record company. Really great stuff and his latest album, I'll Sleep When You're Dead, is probably right up there in my top 5 most recently repeated albums. Great stuff and if you love hip hop I think you would dig it too.
I don't have too much in the way of hip-hop/rap, mostly super-mega-blockbusters (The Chronic, All Eyez On Me, The Marshall Mathers LP, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, etc.) but I'm not particularly adverse to it. I'll put your recommendation on my musical to-do list...

FdL
2007-04-15, 09:33 PM
I haven't really caught up to The Woods. I bought it at the same time I bought a few other S-K albums, and that was the one that sort of fell out of the loop. I'll have to get back to it one of these days.

I like all three of Nick Drake's studio albums a lot, but I like Pink Moon the best. They're all good, though.

I never got into The Woods either...I don't know if I like a lot how it sounds, especially the first track. I never listened to All Hands, but I liked One Beat.

With Nick Drake I find that the album I like most is the first one, then Pink Moon. I love the arrangements of the first album, whereas I don't like those on the second album a lot. But it's pretty good all the same. Pink Moon is one of those fortunate incidents in music, because as you might recall they are something like demo recordings. That's why it sounds stripped and haunting.

Does anyone like late period Ride? I'm listening to Carnival of Light and I think it's a pretty good record. I never believed that ****e back in the day when they said that they were trying to rip off or ride (pun pun) on the success of Oasis...Oasis tend to generate this aura of overhype that weakens the minds of those who hear them, the same as they believe themselves that they are the best band in the world...Well, they sure made a lot of boring music.

Ted_Stryker
2007-04-16, 08:25 PM
I never got into The Woods either...I don't know if I like a lot how it sounds, especially the first track. I never listened to All Hands, but I liked One Beat.
I consider the "big four" for S-K to be Dig Me Out, The Hot Rock, All Hands On The Bad One, and One Beat. I picked up The Hot Rock and One Beat at the same time as I got The Woods, and the first two just grabbed my attention more at the outset. I haven't really listened to The Woods all that much, so I really can't say too much about it.

With Nick Drake I find that the album I like most is the first one, then Pink Moon. I love the arrangements of the first album, whereas I don't like those on the second album a lot. But it's pretty good all the same. Pink Moon is one of those fortunate incidents in music, because as you might recall they are something like demo recordings. That's why it sounds stripped and haunting.
Five Leaves Left is great, but if there's one weakness to the album, it's that "Way To Blue" is kind of overwrought compared to the rest of the album. I realize I might be in the minority about this, since his "Best Of" album was titled after "Way To Blue," but I often find myself getting impatient with the length of the song whenever I listen to Leaves. It's a minor quibble but there it is.

The amazing thing about Pink Moon is that even though the songs are basically demos and it's more or less Nick and his guitar, it's still a really tight, intense album. I have a hard time imaging what the more fleshed-out versions of the songs would be -- they're really minimalist masterpieces, IMHO.

FdL
2007-04-16, 09:35 PM
With Pink Moon what I feel is that if the songs would actually have been arranged and produced as "final" versions, the magic would have been lost. Case in point with Bryter Later, i think the songs are good, and I like the record but I don't like the production and where they're taking the songs with what they add to them (ie, some soul, r&b tinged influence of music of that time that makes it sound pretty dated compared to the other two albums).

With S-K, the first album I heard was Dig Me Out, which I think is the classic. The Hot Rock is really good, but it's a very different album, songs are really intricate and busy, somehow is lighter on the punk-ish straightforwardness of Dig Me Out.
Today when I think of S-K and how their albums are all different I think they probably had a lot more to say musically, I don't know the reasons behind their split anyway...

Amotis
2007-04-16, 09:42 PM
I liked The Fox ><

But I agree, not only were they political, they were damn good musicians, as shown in their constant changing sound. Which is why I like Bryter Later. It's not like Pink Moon, which don't get me wrong, I love folk so I adore Nick and his guitar, but he grew and I'm proud of him for doing that.

@ Ted - I strongly recommend El-P's I'll Sleep When You're Dead album, Cage's latest (his early work not so much), and Edan's Beauty and the Beat album. Rap at it's finest people. Modern rap anyway.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-04-16, 11:32 PM
No particular order...

Forever Yours - Nightwish
Dark Chest of Wonders - Nightwish
Scarred - Dream Theater
Metropolis, Pt I - Dream Theater
The Four Horsemen - Metallica
Baseball/Football - George Carlin
Ghost Woman and the Hunter - Lacuna Coil
Falling Again - Lacuna Coil
Sweet Sacrifice - Evanescence
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin

Honorble Mentions;
Anthem to the Estranged - Metal Church
My Friend of Misery - Metallica
Astral Romance (Remake 2001) - Nightwish
Jaded - Paradise Lost
Un Fantama Tra Moi (A Ghost Between Us) - Lacuna Coil

MethodicalMeat
2007-04-18, 12:31 PM
Shiny Toy Guns and TVBS

blackout
2007-04-18, 03:03 PM
Behold, I am the guru of songs no one else likes!

Everyday- Bon Jovi
In the End- Linkin Park
Warriors of the World- Manowar
The Fire- Reel Big Fish
We Will Rock You- Queen
Blow me Away- Breaking Benjamin
Clones- Ash
And, finally, Getting Away With Murder- Papa Roach.

Yes. Yes, I am a horrible person...or I'm tone-deaf, i don't know.