PDA

View Full Version : Smiley's Rise of the Runelords (IC)

Smileybastard
2015-03-22, 09:26 PM
The Swallowtail Festival, a harvest festival, is coming up in the town Sandpoint. It is the largest public festival of the year and this year will be even bigger due to the consecration of the new cathedral.

Please engage in RP leading up to the festival if you wish. Lets begin in the early morning of the festival. The Festival begins proper around 10 am.

Bounty Hunter
2015-03-25, 10:01 AM
Finnean Tossbottle (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1109268)

The sun had just barely began to rise over the hills to the east as the small gnome stepped out of Cracktooth's Tavern and onto the cool cobblestone streets. The town had been a beehive of activity in preparation for the Swallowtail Festival, which he had recently learned was an annual celebration held around harvest time, and he was eager to not only see what all the fuss was about but perhaps also make a few coins with all the crowds sure to be out and about. Finnean was a curious sight walking through the town clearly designed for folks bigger than he. Barely over three feet tall and dressed in an outfit of bright colors, he wears a traveler's pack nearly as large as he which has all manner of gear strapped to or dangling from it. A small crossbow and quiver of bolts is fastened to one side and in stark contrast a colorful lute case is prominently displayed on the other.

Munching on a bit of bread, he arrives at the courtyard near the cathedral where he assumes the majority of the attention will be focused and begins to look for a good spot to set up. Once he's found a cozy little spot to call his own he sets his bag down and begins to unpack a few key items the foremost of which is his prized lute. Flicking the brass hasps up, he opens the case and lightly takes up the instrument giving it a few playful plucks while looking around at how else might be out so early this morning.

"Salutations and good mornin'!" he warmly greets anyone who pays him any attention.

Smileybastard
2015-03-25, 10:27 AM
As Early as it is there are many people active in the square in front of the new church, setting up various booths and events already.

HappyMerecat
2015-03-25, 10:44 AM
Ta'Tok

The sun has just crested the trees when Ta'Tok strolls into Sandpoint from the North and into the town square. A great beast of a man with a shaved head covered in Tattoos in typical Shoanti fashion. Carrying a greatsword and a bow he is an imposing site, until one sees a little field mouse in his great hand with a finger stroking it's fur as he looks around the square.

He speaks a few soft words in Shoanti to the tiny creature.

"Thank you for bringing me here Neekah. It looks like they are setting up a market or something."

Still_I_Rise
2015-03-25, 12:02 PM
Fel Kahan

Fel rises up and stretches as the morning sun peeks its head into her bedroom. The Festival is beginning today... a with it, a good chance to sell her last few salvages before she could spend the rest of the day celebrating.

Not that she has much, she thinks, looking over her stock: a few iron pots and pans, a glass lamp with a few small scratches, and about half a standard coil of rope she'd managed to cut out from between its ruined ends. Still, the salespeople in the square would be in a lively mood this morning, anticipating the sales they'd be making. With a smile, she loads the goods into her pack and heads to the square.

This is just for rp purposes; I'm considering whatever money she makes from selling this part of her starting wealth.

Felyndiira
2015-03-25, 02:15 PM
Diary of Claes Nephilae Haladin, 21 Rova (Day Before the Festival)

Tomorrow is the day of the Swallowtail Festival.

It's a pretty big deal here in Sandpoint, mostly because of a story that, I always thought, sounded more like a passage from a altered copper-piece novella rather than real life. The legend goes something like this: when Lamashtu defeated Desna, the goddess of mysteries somehow landed here in Sandpoint, where she was rescued by a blind human boy. In gratitude, she transformed the boy into an eternal butterfly. The story is a bit fuzzy on whether the boy gave consent to this in the first place, though it still sounded like something Lamashtu would do rather than a goddess of kindness like Desna. Still, someone came up with the story and it somehow caught on, so here we are, releasing butterflies in the town square and using it as an excuse to eat and chase pigs and get drunk on cheap ale, all in the name of Desna.

The main attraction of the festival is the releasing of butterflies; you were supposed to watch it, and if a butterfly lands on your shoulder, Desna would bring you great luck for that year. To be honest, I don't think Desna will care if a butterfly, by sheer chance, landed on your shoulder during an event that is like a raindrop in the infinite oceans of time that she had lived through. No more than she would care if you happen to possess a rotting foot cut from an angel-blooded girl that may or may not have actually descended from one of her celestial servants. Yet, people believe in these superstitions all the more - and when they believe that they are blessed, they work harder towards their aspirations and achieve more, and attribute the fruits of their labor to the butterflies or the Aasimar body parts. Thus, the prophecy comes full circle to be passed on to the next generation, and all is right with the world once more.

There is another attraction at this year's festival, and the one that I'm most excited about; five years ago, less than a month before I limped my way back into Sandpoint, the old church of Desna was incinerated by a natural fire that also claimed the lives of the old pastor, Father Tobyn, and his entire family and congregation. After five years of the kindly Father Zantus holding congregations in that run-down shack by the waters, the town has finally pooled its resources to rebuild the church; it is scheduled to be unveiled at the festival this year to renew Desna's blessing, and I can't wait to see the hope and relief return to the townspeople's faces once more. I know what it's like to despair for so long from circumstances that you cannot control, and Sandpoint had suffered from its past for long enough - even if the basis of the festival is somewhat silly, the town deserves to move on from the chains of its five-year past.

Anyways, Dad is out again, like he always is a day before the events take place. It's almost like a ritual for him to go study the jar of onions that the farmers prepared for the festival. It's a pretty simple game, really - a bunch of pickled onions are placed in a jar, and you were supposed to guess how many there are. If your guess was the closest, you win the entire jar - or, at least, you were supposed to make a guess; for the last three years Dad has been winning that event through a mix of careful study and weird arithmancy that would take him the better part of the night. Then, he would win the onions, the festival would be over, and we'd have pickled onions and bread for the next ten meals. The Haladin family is weird like that, I've heard; I, personally, think it's just practical. Just like how most of us, really, just use the festival as an excuse to get drunk and not have to worry about our daily lives, rather than an actual tribute to the goddess.

Maybe I'm becoming a little too much like Dad?

The Thanadier boys are sponsoring the greased pig event this year. Oh, right, I somehow got roped into that. I'm not even sure how it happened or what maladies I must have suffered that day when I agreed that the crippled girl should go around chasing a pig in a mud puddle. I swear, the Thanadiers look like thugs with their big muscles and menacing looks, but that's just an obfuscation for two of the sharpest minds in all of Sandpoint. They sneak up on you when you least expect it, and before you know it, you're happily pulling the weeds from their farm for free without knowing how you even got there. To be honest, I don't think anyone will think any less of the crippled girl if I didn't try my best, though I should still figure out a way to get out of it, if I can. Maybe I could dump the event on someone else? Unangelic of me, I know, but that should be okay once in a blue moon.

Like always, there would be a bunch of travelers in the festival. I remember a year ago when some halfling from far away got into trouble for drawing weird faces on the Desna statues. The Sheriff promised that there would be more security this time around, but nothing's going to change. He made that promise three years ago, when a miscreant replaced the wagon of butterflies with a wagon filled with miniature copies of Hammer and Tongs, with a mechanism that launched the books into the crowd when the wagon is unveiled. That one caused a pretty huge uproar, and nothing changed since then. I don't think sheriff Hemlock has enough people to prevent all the possible mischief that could happen when you add that many non-locals to such a big event.

Speaking of travelers, maybe tomorrow, I can also meet that Gnome scholar again. This time without the kids to worry about. Perhaps catching a butterfly on my shoulder will help?

---

The Curious Goblin is a rather plain-looking bookstore, started by a former adventurer named Chask Haladin and currently managed jointly by himself and his adopted daughter, Claes. The name of the store is a minor trivia in the town - it is said that the bookstore formerly had no name, due to Chask being too cheap to buy a sign for his business. One day, while on a stroll, Chask happened upon a joke carving of a goblin discarded on the side of the road and, in a flash of inspiration, decided to use it as his store's sign. Thus, the store was rechristened "The Curious Goblin", all because its owner was too frugal to actually buy a sign for his own business.

Such a description fits Chask perfectly, in fact. At the current moment, he has temporarily left the store to his daughter, and is spending his time spying on the jar of pickled onions to be used for a guessing game in the festival. He had spent the better part of the previous day doing the same thing - somehow, a nagging feeling had kept the man awake last night, warning him that the jar may have been tampered with, and he thus woke up early just to double-check on his pickled onion arithmetic. After all, a jar like that could easily hold enough onions for a twenty-day meal between himself and his daughter, and twenty days worth of onions is, indeed, a business that a man must take seriously to support his own family.

Not that Chask is really that poor. Frugality of this extent is simply something that has become a habit for him, and is a banal sight to everyone familiar with the inner workings of Sandpoint.

Thus, Claes was left to tend to the bookstore alone. The girl had been reading for the past few hours: with most of the townspeople busy preparing for the festival, the bookstore's already small clientele was nowhere to be found, and she found herself free for most of the morning before the festival. She was partially hoping that the gnome scholar would come in and perhaps actually buy something, though it seems that even travelers are not immune to the festival's allure.

With a sigh, the girl slowly put aside her copy of Andy Gurpin's COMPLETE Guide to Gnome Culture and slowly limped her way to her wooden clutch. The book was not something normally sold in The Curious Goblin; it was hard-bound in an elaborate faux-leather, with the book's title etched on the cover in powdered pyrite almost indistinguishable from gold. The book was actually a gift from the Sage Quink, and was apparently written by the most trusted academic of Gnome sociology that isn't a gnome himself. Some of the articles do seem a little suspect, though for the most part the book was detailed, with illustrated diagrams of everything from elaborate Gnome greeting rituals for meeting a business associate to the ways a Gnome would conduct himself if discovered while bathing in a river.

She rested most of her weight on her crutch-arm while she locked the shop doors, then slowly strode toward the town square. She was already accustomed to her disability by now, though walking like this was, at best, slow and cumbersome when compared to the other townsfolk. Midway, Claes paused before a large tree in-between two simple shacks; a pink ribbon was tied to one of the low-hanging branches, and she slowly approached it with her chalkboard in hand, as if entranced by a phantasm that only she could see. After a light moment of meditation, the girl slowly scrawled a brief message on her chalkboard and presented it to the ribbon:

I'm off, Lilina.

Then, as if satisfied by the tree's imagined response, she nodded, then turned away from the tree and disappeared into the crowd of civilians in the festival.

Dire Moose
2015-03-25, 07:21 PM
Siella, as usual, gets up early and heads to a hilltop on the outskirts of town to watch the sun rise and commune with nature. She returns for breakfast at the Rusty Dragon, then helps the inn's proprietor, Ameiko Kaijitsu, with preparations for the festival, preparing some delicacies from the Mierani Forest that she remembers to go along with the former's legendary cooking. The two have established a sort of bond over the last few days after some alcohol-facilitated commiserating about difficult parents.

Lyren, Siella's mountain lion companion, is easily amused by the pieces of string hanging from the decorations.

Bounty Hunter
2015-03-26, 02:23 PM

As the morning passed more and more people began to make their way into the square. Booths and stalls of every sort were erected in any place they could find and various merchants and shopkeepers began vying for the attention of the masses. Finnean was quite surprised that what he considered to be a small and quaint community could muster such a showing for something as simple as a harvest festival. Still, people seemed to be enjoying themselves quite a bit already and he had even made a bit of spare coin just passing the time until the day's events kicked off.

"Things are supposed to begin about two hours prior to midday correct?" He asks a passerby, an older human man, while trying to gauge the approximate hour based on where the sun had positioned itself between two buildings to the east of him. "Not long at all now then eh?" A bit of casual conversation never hurt anyone right? Some days he felt like he stuck out like a sore thumb here in the lands of larger folk but he did his best to show that gnomes were just like anyone else...mostly.

Smileybastard
2015-03-26, 02:35 PM
There is probably an hour or two before the speeches kick things off and more people pour into the square. Games are being set up as well as tables from the various inns where lunch will be provided.

HappyMerecat
2015-03-26, 02:43 PM
Ta'Tok

Ta'Tok wanders slowly around seeing the townsfolk assembling various games as well as what looked like food and drink. Ta'Tok smiled, he enjoyed games and food. He was not sure that his presence was welcomed here. He was after all a stranger and he might be imposing. he looked around for others who seemed out of place or maybe a fellow Shoanti.

Perception [roll0]

Still_I_Rise
2015-03-26, 08:00 PM
Fel Kahan

Fel arrives to see the games and tables being laid out in the square, and quickly directs herself to the nearest vendor. She fixes a smile on her face and begins.

"Happy Festival Day to you! I'm sure you're looking forward to your sales prospects today," she says, looking around them as a small crowd begins to form.

"I thought you might welcome a last minute chance to add to your wares! What say you?" she asks, reaching into her bag and displaying her items.

"Not a commoner about who couldn't use a good pot or pan... or some nice rope, there's always a use for that..."

Felyndiira
2015-03-27, 12:45 AM
Claes Nephilae

The girl seems to be enjoying the festival - or at least, she seems to be happily wandering around and taking a sneak peek at the stalls nearby. One is never really be certain about this with Claes, of course - the constant, faint smile that she wears allows little other emotion to show on her face, save perhaps brief moments of surprise or annoyance. Still, the girl was bouncing about, writing greetings to many of the townspeople that she recognized, adding a few extra doodles of flowers when she came face-to-face with Rynshinn and exchanged a brief, friendly conversation.

Rynshinn, in typical fashion, is talking almost incessantly about current fashions, with Claes occasionally raising a few complements or anecdotes on her blackboard. To a casual observer, it is like a conversation between two close friends, and Claes's smile grew just slightly wider when she served as the perfectly listener and support. Eventually, after going through more topics about fashion than should be possible for a small, poor town like Sandpoint - including outlandish trends from far-off lands brought by experienced travelers, the two friends part ways with a brief hug.

The girl is typically composed, but as she turns to wave at her departing friend, she crashes into something that seemed to be a large human, clad from head to toe in hardened hide armor, and loses her balance from the force of the impact. The girl seems momentarily shocked; she tries to catch her composure for a moment before remembering something, and hurriedly scrawls an apology on her blackboard, flashing it at the stranger that she bumped into. The message was written reflexively in Varisian, though this fact did not dawn upon the girl until moments later:

http://i.imgur.com/JUYQdHU.png*

Then, struggling against her crutch to rebalance herself, she slowly studied the figure of the stranger that was standing before her. Sandpoint - as a conservative little town by the seas of Varisia - has never been racially diverse, and the sight of an absolutely massive man, obviously foreign in both dress and appearance, is somewhat bewildering. The girl, for all her attempts at regaining her composure, is visibly fascinated by the sight of the man, studying his armor and his build with a look of absolute fascination, and her right hand instinctively moves to (and fails to) cover the knife scars on her neck. It is only after a moment before she finally manages to find her manners, and scribbled another apology on her blackboard before showing it to the man, this time in plain Common:

I'm really sorry.

She seems deeply in thought after that. The man, himself, seemed a bit of a stranger here, as if he had never been to a Swallowtail Festival before. Claes's blackboard was once again drawn - she seemed to be writing intensely for a moment, but quickly erased everything as if unsatisfied with her own words. Eventually, after a number of revisions and a slight look of nervousness, she finally managed to scribble a message to the imposing warrior:

Is this your
first time here?

The words were accompanied by inexplicable doodles of flowers and birds at the edges of the blackboard. She hesitated for a while, and added a few additional small, difficult-to-read words to the bottom of what she had already wrote before showing it back to the warrior:

My name is Claes. It's nice to meet you.

* Note: I'm using Chinese to denote when she's writing in Varisian. This particular instance is just "sorry" written in the native language that no one else knows.

The Warrior is Ta'tok. Hope you don't mind Claes bumping into you like that :smallsmile:.

HappyMerecat
2015-03-27, 05:24 AM
Ta'Tok

Ta'tok is walking along when a beautiful girl on crutches bumps into him almost sending her flying. He reaches out and clasps her arm briefly to help stablize her before letting go with a concerned look on his face. She quickly writes a note, on a board she carries, in Varisian. His eyes only briefly look at the note he can not read before returning to her eyes. She covers some scars on her neck and then writes another note, this time in common. "I'm very sorry" and followed by a few more comments.

Ta'Tok wait until after the second note and smiles a gentle smile, with a hint of sadness at this beautiful girl on crutches who can not speak.
"There is no need to be sorry or cover your scars. The Shoanti wear them with pride."
"I am very pleased to meet you ... Claes. I am Ta'Tok Shiikirri and this is Neekah," he says holding the mouse on his great hand, "And yes, this is is our first time here."
He looks around at the people and them back to her eyes. Looking deep and longer than most in civilized lands would do. "I was unsure if I would be welcomed here. Maybe you could show me around?"

Felyndiira
2015-03-27, 02:54 PM
Claes Nephilae

The girl has found a long strip of cloth somewhere in her possessions and is already wrapping her neck when the warrior spoke of his customs. She is visibly uncomfortable with showing her scar to strangers in the festival despite the warrior's reassurance - perhaps it is because she was not like the Shoanti, or perhaps there is a meaning to her scars that are different from glorious ones won from battle by the barbarian tribes. Regardless, a few words cannot bridge a gulf of differences in culture and personality, and when the warrior's words ended, her scars are already fully hidden beneath her improvised scarf.

Having taken care of her immediate embarrassment, the girl examined the towering man that stood before her. He was at least two heads taller than she was with a proud, booming voice, though he could not have been many years older than Claes. Perhaps it was a trait of the Shoanti tribes - though the girl knows very little about them aside from a few brief footnotes in her history books. The people of Sandpoint - of Magnimar, even - do not often leave their towns to explore the barbarian tribes to the north, and thus their customs are, at best, an enigma to the superstitious and self-absorbed townsfolk.

Claes tries to write something on her blackboard, though her writing is slow - and to a more astute observer, she is spending more time writing her words in flowery cursive, as if trying to buy time to actually think of something to write to the barbarian warrior. Eventually, words did appear on the blackboard in the form of a stuttering apology that made no sense at all, given the warrior's request:

I'm sorry. I'm not
too familiar with Shoanti
culture. It's rare that

The girl must have realized this, too, as she quickly pulled back her blackboard and added a new message in place of the crossed-out words, and a rather elaborate smiling face on the bottom:

But I'll be glad to
show you around. What kind of
events are you looking for,
in particular?

:smile:

HappyMerecat
2015-03-27, 04:35 PM
Ta'Tok

Ta'Tok smiles. "There is no need to be sorry. I don't know much of anything but Shoanti culture."

In response to Claes's offer he smiles more broadly. "Thank you, but I do not know what there is to choose from. Perhaps we can look at them all...if you have time."

Felyndiira
2015-03-27, 05:49 PM
Claes Nephilae

Claes glanced around the town square for a moment. Her eyes rested briefly on a gnome performer who had already set up camp here, as if the traveler was familiar to her. Just as quickly, though, her eyes strayed away and, after another glance at her surroundings, she scribbled a short list:

What do you want to see first?

Arm Wrestling
Archery Contest
The Devil Hunt
Goblin Toss
Pastry Eating
Ogre Stomp
Beer Tasting

Smileybastard
2015-03-27, 09:58 PM
Fel Kahan

"Not a commoner about who couldn't use a good pot or pan... or some nice rope, there's always a use for that..."

An older Varisian approaches her wares as other come an go. She looks at the materials and goes to leave and then pauses and picks up a pot and then the short piece of rope and then drops it. "It looks like something someone threw out." She huffs and and begins to slowly walk away in a typical manner that Varisians use when preparing to barter.

HappyMerecat
2015-03-27, 10:08 PM
Ta'Tok

Ta'Tok smiles and looks at her list, stroking Neekah's soft fur. There would be time for eating and drinking later and he was not entirely sure what some of the things were. "Archery," he said finally. That was something he knew and liked.

Dire Moose
2015-03-27, 10:39 PM
Siella

With the preparations for the meal done, Siella heads out to observe the festival. She takes note of the people selling their wares and observes the games as well. Eager to interact with some of the townsfolk and others she hasn't met, she wanders over to where an archery contest is being set up.

Being a good archer, Siella enters the contest, but while readying her bow, she notices a tall and muscular man approaching. Siella sizes him up.

"Another out-of-towner, I presume? I'm fairly new here myself. Let's see how good you are."

Lyren is currently looking at Neekah with interest.

HappyMerecat
2015-03-27, 11:04 PM
Ta'Tok

Ta'Tok smiles and nods towards the elf. "I am Ta'Tok Shiikirri, the bow is not my best weapon, but I do hunt."

Bounty Hunter
2015-03-27, 11:34 PM

Still quite enjoying himself in his little spot in the shade, the gnome notices a bit of disturbance as a large man bumps into a girl bound to crutches. A flash of recognition hits him as he realizes she's the gal who had invited him to the little bookstore in town a few days ago. As she looks up and makes eye contact though he realizes she might think he was staring at his misfortune and nervously averts his gaze to somewhere else as he begins another song; this one a prophecy about one of the great wyrms...a fire breathing dragon.

When Valdearg's eyes open, Too many shall close;
The darkest of days, Brings the deepest of woes

Together with terror, That swells into pains;
Disaster shall follow, His waking again.

By anger unending, And power unmatched,
The dragon avenges, His dreams yet unhatched.

For when he awakes, To find those dreams lost,
Revenge shall he covet, Regardless the cost.

Lo! Nothing can stop him, Except for one foe.
Descended from the enemies, Fought long ago.

In terrible battle, They fight to the last.
Reliving the fury, And rage of the past.

Yet neither opponent, Shall truly prevail.
The enemies efforts; All finally fail.

Though striving to vanquish, They perish instead;
The dragon's eyes close, His enemy dead.

Then air becomes water, And water is fire;
Both enemies fall to, A power still higher.

Thus only when elements, Suddenly merge;
Shall end the dragon, Shall end the scourge.

Dire Moose
2015-03-28, 09:19 AM
Siella takes aim at the target and fires.

[roll0]

HappyMerecat
2015-03-28, 09:59 AM
Ta'Tok

Ta'Tok smiles at Claes as he pulls out his short bow. He nocks an arrow, pulls and looses it as he says "Good shot to the elf."

Attack [roll0]

Felyndiira
2015-03-28, 11:53 PM
Claes passes the Gnome adventurer's area on the way to the archery stand. She looks a bit sheepishly at the familiar face of Finnian for a second, then gives him a respectful bow. Her right hand waved in the air for a second, and the tiniest wisp of arcane energy - a message spell, for anyone trained to recognize it - moved from her fingers into the gnome's ears. "By the way, Mr. Tossbottle - the Curious Goblin is having a sale on some new books we received. If you are interested, I will be glad to show you after the festival."

The girl is visibly struggling to communicate in this manner; her breath is heavy after the message was delivered, and she looks a bit tired, although she hid it under her minute smile.

The archery stand is a new addition to this year's festival - at least, it is to the best of Claes's knowledge. Word around town is that during the previous year, a band of rowdy adventurers decided to challenge the entire town to a skill with the bow, and after some wins and some barrels of ale was handily defeated by a reveler from a nearby city. The adventurer's defeat wasn't that big of a deal, but the impromptu event drew an unexpected number of townspeople - many of whom cheered and bet on (and against) the self-proclaimed master archers. Apparently, some of the townsfolk decided that such an event would be a perfect chance to earn some gold, though the actual patron to the event was kept as a surprise.

Claes had suspected that it was Father Zantus, in an attempt to raise money for the furnishings on the new church, but that was at best just a wild guess.

She was momentarily distracted by the signpost in front of the event. The signpost was crafted from cheap wood and was otherwise an unremarkable object; it bore the image of a goblin, somewhat similar to the one that adorns the top of her father's store - and bears a short message written in a sort of cheap paint made from powdered chalk. "The Goblin Hunters", it read - a bit appropriate for the event, as most events seem to be heavily prejudiced against the little creatures. Apparently, the event encapsulated a simple archery competition behind a story of goblin invaders and heroes. The goblins were supposedly handily defeated during their assault, and as they are fleeing, the heroes are making a game out of which one of them can hunt down the most before they make it back to camp.

It was a gruesome story, but somehow appropriate. To any observer, it was quite obvious that Sandpoint was no friend to the little buggers - not that most would notice, since adventurers tend to share the townsfolk's dislike for a race of thieves and raiders that pillage merchants and snack on little children*.

When the girl's attention finally turned back to Ta'Tok, he is already engrossed in an impromptu competition with an elven woman. She tries to whisper something to him, but - as always - only a faint whisper is emitted from her lips. A bit flustered, the girl quickly writes a message on her blackboard, and tugs on the barbarian's tunic to grab his attention after he fired his arrow.

Ta'Tok, the festival doesn't officially
begin until Miss Deverin gives her
speech. The archery competition
won't start until then, also.

She thinks for a moment; for the first time, you see her expression change to a rather playful - in place of her usually serene - smile. She writes quickly this time, as if fun and mischievous ideas are forming in her young mind, and she is eager to exercise them while the chance still presents itself.

But I think I know of a way to
arrange a competition right now,
if you want. It would be unofficial,
but that's part of the fun :smallsmile:.

Then, another message - purposely written in smaller text at the bottom end of the blackboard:

I'm sure the hosts won't mind if we borrow their event a little.

Dire Moose
2015-03-29, 08:28 AM
Siella

"I'll accept whatever challenge you're making," answers Siella.

HappyMerecat
2015-03-29, 09:07 AM
Ta'Tok

Ta'Tok smiles at Claes' written words and then looks towards the elf and smiles more broadly. "I'm game."

Felyndiira
2015-03-29, 05:33 PM
Perhaps it isn't what he meant, but Claes takes the Warrior's smile and the elf druid's challenge as evidence that they are supportive of her idea. She grins a bit - though very faintly - while writing another message on the blackboard.

Please wait for a bit.

In the Swallowtail Festival, anything
with a crowd is pretty much official,
so we just need to get some people.

She disappears, for a moment, into the crowd, almost running on her crutches at a speed that shouldn't be possible. It is difficult to see her small figure amidst the crowded town square, but if one is observant he would notice the girl showing her blackboard - presumably with a message about the impromptu archery challenge - to some of the most excitable youths in the little town. Eventually, she disappears again and re-emerges producing a cooking pan and a short stick, both of which she brings to the archery range, in front of the two would-be competitors. In place of her blackboard, she shows them a small stone with a chalk message written on it:

I'm hoping it works.

Then, she begins to hit the pan as loudly as her willowy arms could manage. Intermittently, when she received the attention of the townspeople (and especially the excitable youths she petitioned earlier), she raised her blackboard to the town, showing off a message written in large letters.

ARCHERY CHALLENGE!

A wandering Shoanti warrior is challenging
an adventuring druid in archery. Best of three
shots! Is there anyone brave enough to step
into the range with them?

She winks at the two competitors, as if trying to get them to contribute to the atmosphere with their own challenges.

Claes is, as you can tell, trying to gather a crowd for the impromptu archery challenge that the two are making. As she had said, "having a crowd makes things official" - and maybe a few of the more talented townspeople (maybe even Fel) will end up joining in as well.

I don't know if I need a diplomacy check to gather up a crowd, but if I do, here it is with bonus from guidance. Hoping I don't roll a 1 for a fun RP thingy:

[roll0]

Smileybastard
2015-03-29, 06:17 PM
After reading Claes' the youths look over at the pair with their bows and begin to spread the word. People begin to head over in that direction and then when Claes shows her blackboard about the challenge the movement increases. People head over and begin to eye the two up and talk amongst themselves.

Still_I_Rise
2015-03-29, 10:07 PM
Fel Kahan

Fel laughs easily. "Now now, don't judge a book by its cover - or a pot by its varnish! We both know there's plenty of value left in these," she says as the Varisian heads away.

Inside, she's not quite as confident. Varisians didn't tend to look kindly on her scavenged goods... this woman won't be looking to pay what Fel considered a fair price, she thinks. Still, maybe she'll get lucky at the Festival spirit will sweep keep the other from driving too hard a bargain. Fel isn't really in the mood to go from person to person today unloading her goods for the best she thinks she can get - she wants to celebrate too, after all.

Her eyes wander over to the archery competition in the works, and she fingers her bow unconsciously. That would be fun... hopefully this went quickly.

Smileybastard
2015-03-29, 10:13 PM
Fel Kahan

Fel laughs easily. "Now now, don't judge a book by its cover - or a pot by its varnish! We both know there's plenty of value left in these," she says as the Varisian heads away.

Hmph, snorts the Varisian. "I'll give you 3 silver for the lot of it and ... not a copper more." And with that he picks up the goods and drops three silver coins.

Still_I_Rise
2015-03-29, 10:45 PM
Fel Kahan

Fel shoots him a glare. "Oh, some business you're running." Ordinarily she'd stay and argue, but it was Festival day. She scoops up the silver coins without further comment and walks away to the gathering archery competition without a backward glance... although she thinks of a few nice swears that apply to the haughty Varisian as she walks over.

"Hey!" she says as she reaches the general area of the competition. "I want in."

Smileybastard
2015-03-30, 02:05 PM
Two other boys aproach with bows in their hands as well. "Us too!"

Dire Moose
2015-03-30, 11:04 PM
Siella

"I see we've gathered quite the crowd here. Best two out of three, was it? Well, here goes Round 2."

[roll0]

Smileybastard
2015-03-31, 05:18 AM
"Second shot?" rise a few protests from the crowd. "We never saw a first!"
"First shot you mean!"

Dale, the officiator for the archery competition steps out of the crows. "Ok, lets do this right! Three shots. Three points for a bull's eye, two for the second ring and one for a hit. We shoot from 50 feet."

DC:8 is a hit.
DC:14 is the second ring.
DC: 20 is a bull's eye.

Dire Moose
2015-03-31, 10:32 PM
"Ah. Well then, I suppose that will have to be my first shot," Siella admitted, though she wished more people had seen her bulls-eye from earlier. "Let's see how the rest go."

[roll0]
[roll1]

Bounty Hunter
2015-04-01, 01:17 AM

The cheerful little gnome continued to do his best to watch the small archery competition that had formed up nearby without getting too distracted from his performances. With a wave of his hand he conjures a series of illusionary lights of different colors to accompany his next song. Deciding it might do him some good to keep his next song on topic of the events be begins to strum a melody he had first picked up some fifteen years ago while still up to his ears in his studies. Truth be told the song didn't have much to do at all with archery but he assumed most were paying him little attention at the moment.

I made my life an arrow,
The tip a deadly sharpened point,
So people never came so close,
That I may disappoint,
I'd sit and watch in silence,
As the world would pass me by,
Wondering how far I'd fall,
If I ever tried to fly,
You watched me with such interest,
Like it was me you'd tried to find,
As though you knew all of my secrets,
And the thoughts within my mind,
You looked like all the others,
But what I did not know;
Was while I'd made myself an arrow,
You had made yourself a bow,
And apart we'd both been useless,
But we'd finally worked out why;
Since you need someone to pull you back,
If you ever want to fly,
So you aimed me with precision,
And I flew straight from the start,
Until I landed with a solid thud,
On the target of your heart.

As he finishes up the little diddy holds his lute by the neck with the bow across it as if a nocked arrow. He playfully pretends to attempting to line up a shot on one of his glowing orbs of light and laughs to himself as he makes a 'whooooosh' and then a 'thud' sound to emphasize that he hit is target. Deciding that he best start getting things ready for the festival proper, he begins to pack up with of his belongings he had unpacked and place them into their appropriate spots. 'It's a shame really, I high doubt they'd let a crossbowman into their little archery competition.' Lost in his thoughts per usual he tries to see though the crowd and catch a glimpse of the remaining shots from the hopeful contestants.

Smileybastard
2015-04-01, 05:15 AM
There are some bets being made by the crowd as Siella takes her shots. There are cheers as she makes two second ring hits.

One of the youths pushes his way forward and takes his shots.

Attack [roll0]
Attack [roll1]
Attack [roll2]

HappyMerecat
2015-04-01, 05:15 AM
Ta'Tok

Ta'Tok calmy takes his shots, seemingly focused and cal at the same time.

Attack [roll0]
Attack [roll1]
Attack [roll2]

Felyndiira
2015-04-01, 05:22 AM
Claes

After rousing up a crowd, Claes simply stands a few yards before the other spectators, seemingly admiring her own handiwork. She writes nothing else for now, and occupies herself with the archery and deciphering the bets that are taking place behind her.

Still_I_Rise
2015-04-01, 09:03 PM
Fel Kahan

Fel smiles as the competition gets underway, making her way to the target and lining up her bow, firing three times.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Smileybastard
2015-04-02, 06:37 PM
The second boy takes his three shots.

Attack [roll0]
Attack [roll1]
Attack [roll2]

Smileybastard
2015-04-02, 08:09 PM
Dale looks around "Anyone else? No? Alright them it seems Fel has won with six points! Followed by our elf friend at five points and our Shoanti friend and Ryan at three."
There are moans and cheers in the audience.

Bounty Hunter
2015-04-02, 10:46 PM

Having gathered up his belongings, the small little gnome begins to slink his way through the crowd as he tries to get closer to the competitors. Bigger folk never tended to keep an eye out for the smaller races or most of the time even the smaller ones of their own races when it came to places like this; always blocking the way or at least the view. Once he gets pretty close to the front, if he's able, he'll try to speak up over the groans and clapping. "Heck of a show there fella... and I bet you're just warming up eh? What brings someone of your skill into town this morning, just the festival?" He asks Fel as he extends a tiny hand.

Dire Moose
2015-04-03, 09:10 AM
Siella

Siella is surprised to see one of the locals has won the contest. She approaches the winner.

"Congratulations; it's not often that I'm outdone by a fellow archer. Where did you learn to shoot like that?"

Still_I_Rise
2015-04-03, 03:42 PM
Fel Kahan

Fel appears somewhat surprised herself at the praise, shaking hands with Finnean a little awkwardly.

"Ah... thanks," she says, looking at Finnean and Siella. Truthfully, she didn't know where her first shot had come from - and her shots had been steadily worse after that. Still, she had won.

"I had a good teacher," she says simply. "He's not around anymore though. I haven't seen him for a few months.

Oh, and yeah, just here for the festival. I sold off a few acquired goods before I came over here, though." She looks over at the Varisian trader ruefully. "Probably could've gotten a better deal, but this looked like good fun," she smiles.

"Oh, but what are your names?" she asks. "I'm Fel."

HappyMerecat
2015-04-03, 03:50 PM
Ta'Tok

"Hello and congratulations Fel. I am Ta'Tok of the Shiikirri tribe and this," the huge man holds out his mouse, "is Neekah."

Dire Moose
2015-04-04, 12:01 AM
Siella

"Siella, and this is my companion Lyren," says the elf, gesturing to the mountain lion by her side. "We are visiting from the Mierani Forest to the north."

Bounty Hunter
2015-04-06, 01:03 AM

"A pleasure to met you miss Fel, the name's Finnean... fairly new to town myself. On the way through towards bigger and grander things, but you probably know how that goes." He greets Fel warmly and quickly begins to chatter in true gnomish fashion. "Quite the display from the lot of ya actually. Would love to see what you were capable of once you had time to warm up." He particularly singles out one of the children with his gaze as he's talking in a friendly teasing manner.

"But anyway. The reason I'm bothering you ins't just to congratulate you; I'm always on the prowl for adventurers to hear a tale or two from. I'm in the process of writing a book you see and could always use more stories to set to music ya know?"

HappyMerecat
2015-04-06, 08:03 AM
Ta'Tok

"And this," Ta'Tok puts his big hand on Claes's shoulder and carefully pulling her closer, "is Claes, my friend. She speaks through he little board as some of you have no doubt seen."

Felyndiira
2015-04-06, 10:03 AM
Claes

The girl is so absorbed in the competition that she jumps when the Shoanti warrior placed his arm on her shoulder, reeling in shock and almost tripping over her own crutches as she hastily retreated from the barbarian. The girl seems to be scared of more than just a sudden hand on her shoulders; she seemsd to be panting rather heavily, as if expecting a monster to emerge from the ground, and only manages to calm herself after a few faint slaps to her own face. With a smile - clearly forced this time, and barely hiding fear at some memory of the past - she starts writing on her chalkboard, with panicked Varisian letters mixed in and hastily crossed off from the message:

对不 I'm really sorry.
That 真really surprised me.

I'm really sorry.

She stops for a moment to catch her breath, taking a few deep breaths to fully calm herself. Then, her smile returns to its natural state, and she replaced her message with a more carefully-written one with a disguised ad for her own bookstore.:

I'm Claes, part-time teacher
and the cashier of the Curious
Goblin at Sandpoint.

If you ever need books, we have
everything under the blue sky from
the tip of Golaria to the coasts of the
Eastern Continent.

Adventurers welcome! :smallsmile:

She approached the group again and added another message:

It was nice to meet you all.

By the way, Mr. Tossbottle, did you
get my earlier message about the
sale on the bookstore :smallsmile:?

HappyMerecat
2015-04-06, 12:01 PM
Ta'Tok

Ta'Tok freezes when Claes pulls back. He reaches to help stabilize her, but things better of it and stops and waits for her to write her message.

对不 I'm really sorry.
That 真really surprised me.

I'm really sorry.

Ta'Tok seems to be saddened by her reaction to him. "No I am sorry," he says quietly.

Bounty Hunter
2015-04-07, 01:55 AM

"Aye, that I did miss...might have to swing through there after the events of the festival wind down for the evening." The gnomish man responds in regards to the advertisement from before. "Anything in particular I should keep an eye out for when I stop by?"

Felyndiira
2015-04-07, 03:20 AM
Claes

Claes bows respectfully to the barbarian warrior, then answers the gnome bard's question on her blackboard.

My dad found a copy
of Ancient Symbology in
the warehouse on back.

Otherwise, all Varisian History
tomes are half-off this week.
As always, you are
welcome to read them before
you buy.

Dire Moose
2015-04-08, 11:50 PM
Siella

"Varisian history? That sounds like it could be helpful. I haven't gotten out much and learning more about the world is one of my goals."

HappyMerecat
2015-04-09, 11:18 AM
Ta'Tok

Ta'Tok tips his head towards Claes in a weak bow. He is at a loss as how to proceed. He wonders if he will ever fit in.

Bounty Hunter
2015-04-09, 01:53 PM

"My my...an Ancient Symbology turning up in a place like this? I wonder who must have been carrying it with them on their travels." The hyper little gnome speaks his mind aloud as he muses about the possibilities but finds himself on a bit of a sidetracked ramble while standing here among the strangers. Getting himself back towards the topic that Claes had written upon her board he mentions the sale of Varisian History tomes. "Ah, madam ... you know how to pander to your audience. History tomes on sale the last few days I'm in town, don't think I don’t see your angle! I've got a bit of coin I might decide to drop before leaving town...though signing hasn't brought in as much as I'd hoped. Seems most people here are more interested in the food and wine and music just becomes a free ambience."

Felyndiira
2015-04-09, 06:32 PM
Claes

Claes's face turns slightly red at Finnean's praise, showing her embarrassment - or any real emotion, really - for the first time since the Aasimar girl and the Gnome bard had first met each other within the dusty Curious Goblin bookstore. She scratches her head for a moment, her eyes looking about as if trying to confirm the gnome's philosophy on the Swallowtail Festival while diverting her attention from the praise.

Her eyes, by chance, meets that of Ta'Tok, and a slight mischievous look begins to form on her face. Without warning, the girl twirled gracefully into the barbarian warrior, her head playfully coming to rest on Ta'Tok's chest. She smiles innocently at the man and holds up her chalkboard to the barbarian - this time, due to her position, her message was only visible to Siella and Ta'Tok himself:

You know, my dad said
that if you don't smile
during the festival...

She hastily writes another message on the blackboard and shows it to the warrior, making a silly, faux-serious face - as if performing some sort of solo comedy routine.

DRAGONS!
...will eat you!

With goodberry pie!
And ale!

Her smile seems more genuine, as if her facade has temporarily cracked, revealing - if only for a scant moment - the heart of a girl that was truly enjoying herself. Playfully, she whirls back to her original position and writes another message to her blackboard, this time showing it to all of her current companions.

Maybe the other people
were right. We should go and
get some of the pie...

...before the dragons eat it all.

She looks at the message and adds another line at the bottom.

Or goblins. I guess
goblins would be more likely
to steal pies, no?

Still_I_Rise
2015-04-10, 05:04 PM
Fel smiles down at the girl on her crutches. At least she seemed to be enjoying herself here.

"Yes, the goodberry pie does sound good. I didn't think to eat much of a breakfast this morning."

She waits to see if the others intend to head over with her before walking towards the food.

HappyMerecat
2015-04-10, 07:01 PM
Ta'Tok

Ta'Tok smiles at her message.

"I ... have never had pie."

Smileybastard
2015-04-10, 07:33 PM
It is at that point the festivities begin with the opening speeches.

The turnout for the opening speeches is quite respectable, and the four keynote speakers each deliver short but well-received welcomes to the festival. Mayor Deverin's friendly attitude and excitement prove contagious as she welcomes visitors to town and jokes about how even Larz Rovanky, the local
tanner(and notorious workaholic) managed to tear himself away from the tannery to attend, much to everyone's amusement (except Larz's). Sheriff Belor Hemlock brings the crowd down a bit with his dour mood, his reminder to be safe around the evening's bonfire, and his request for a moment ofsilence to remember those who lost their lives in the fie that claimed the town's previous church several years ago. The next speaker is scheduled to be local nobleman Lonjiku Kaijitsu, but a sudden illness has prevented him from attending the ceremony (this isn't something that surprises the locals, given Lonjiku's well-known dislike of frivolity and festivals). Sandpoint's own showman Cyrdak Drokkus is more than up to the challenge of bringing the crowd's mood back up with his rousing anecdotes. He delivers a not-completely-irreverent recap of the long process the town went through to fiance and construct the new cathedral. He throws in a bit of self promotion at the end, as is his wont, inviting everyone to stop by the Sandpoint Theater the following evening to check out his new production of "The Harpy's Curse," revealing that the lead role of Avisera the harpy queen will be played by none other than the famous Magnimarian diva Allishanda! Finally, Father Zantus steps up to give a short speech thanking everyone for coming before declaring the Swallowtail Festival underway.

Still_I_Rise
2015-04-10, 08:33 PM
Fel raises her eyebrows. "Never had a pie? I think we ought to fix that problem."

She doesn't seem interested in the Mayor's speech, although she quite enjoys Cyrdak's comedic storytelling. Father Zantus managed to seems particularly dry afterwards, but at least he kept himself brief. And the pie proves to be delicious, as always.

Felyndiira
2015-04-10, 10:47 PM
Claes

The Aasimar girl seems to be ignoring most of the speeches. Perhaps she already knew all of them by heart - they haven't changed much over the five Swallowtail Festivals that she was a part of, after all. She seems to frown a bit during the Sheriff's dreary speech, and scrawls a message that only the little group by the archery stand could see:

Depressing, isn't it?

I don't know why he
keeps on bringing the
past up. It's really killing
the mood.

She seemed calm for a moment, then some inkling of a thought hit Claes. A bit surprised, she quickly wrote another message on the board.

Oh, right!

The previous church of Desna
burned down five years prior. They
say that the town had lost one
of its best pastors there.

She adopts a curious look, as if becoming a pedagogue on the subject of Sandpoint history. She looks at the podium for a while when father Zantus took the stand, and added another short message to her blackboard:

It was a bit before my
time, but they say that Father
Tobyn was beloved by everyone
and his daughter was blessed
by Desna herself.

She says nothing; her expression does not change, but she scrubbed out the previous message and added another in its place, in uncharacteristically neat handwriting.

The fire is still a sore
point for the town, I guess.

Oh! They are showing off
the rebuild temple today.
I guess it's so that the town
can finally move on from that
tragedy.

The girl seem to be personally interested in the church; a glimmer of excitement was hidden behind her eyes, escaping even her usual, serene facade. She wrote quickly this time, trying to explain years of history that she did not even personally experience to her new group of companions, showing the message, consecutively, to everyone in the little group:

Maybe we could pay it
a visit after the festival.

Are you a follower of Desna,
by any chance?

Note: this is still information from the KN: Local check from a few weeks ago.

HappyMerecat
2015-04-10, 11:32 PM
Ta'Tok

Ta'Tok smiles. "I would like to visit the temple, but I am not a follower of Desna. I follow the great Hawk who soars high above and Neeka is my guide."

Dire Moose
2015-04-12, 11:52 AM
Siella

"I would certainly appreciate a visit to the new temple; my tribe does not worship deities and I am curious how it is done."

Smileybastard
2015-04-12, 09:52 PM
The speeches over, some of the games begin. One of the first is a balance beam walking contest.

This is an acrobatics roll DC 15. The beam is 10 ft long and every 1 the DC is missed by is 2 feet of the beam failed to be walked.

Still_I_Rise
2015-04-13, 02:46 PM
Fel Kahan

"I don't know how much I'd find of interest in a temple," Fel says as she finishes her slice of pie. "They always seem a bit stuffy, you know what I mean?"

The beam walking contest catches her eye, however, and she heads over soon.

She doesn't make it very far across the beam before almost tripping up, having to jump off and back to the ground. She's a little frustrated with herself - ordinarily that beam would be a cakewalk.

Acrobatics: [roll0]

HappyMerecat
2015-04-13, 07:17 PM
Ta'Tok

"I worship under the open sky."

Ta'Tok, enjoying the games approaches the beam and gives it a shot and falls off immediately and begins to laugh heartily.

Acrobatics [roll0]

Bounty Hunter
2015-04-14, 11:50 AM

"As a follower of Sheyln I know exactly what you mean... our temples are always full of life, music, and often open air or some other architectual marvel...some of the other faiths don't worry to much about that sort of thing though. Worship shouldn't be a chore ya know?" He grins warmly at the rememberance of his last visit to one of her temples and tags along with the group.

= = =

Once it's his turn the gnome puts his belongings on the ground and does his best to get up on the balancing bar. It had clearly been built for the larger folk but he did eventually manage to get atop it and do his best to balance along the rail. However, much like the man before him, he barely makes it before falling off.

Acrobatics : [roll0]

Dire Moose
2015-04-14, 05:22 PM
Siella

"I guess I'll give this a try."

[roll0]

Siella promptly lands next to Ta'tok.

"Obviously, I must not be as graceful as I'd like to be."

Bounty Hunter
2015-04-14, 05:57 PM

"I think someone musta greased the beam!" The gnome jests.

HappyMerecat
2015-04-14, 05:58 PM
Ta'Tok

Ta'Tok laughs louder. "Clearly, Hawk, seeks to teach us something other than being graceful today."

Felyndiira
2015-04-14, 10:37 PM
Claes

Before anyone could stop her, Claes hobbles to the beam and makes an attempt to cross it, not really caring if she is making a fool out of herself. She clearly struggles with this task - tapping it occasionally with her crutches to balance herself and make up for the penalty of only being able to use one foot. Eventually, about where Fel had fallen off, she loses her balance and crashes to the ground, almost laughing in silence.

After a brief struggle to stand back up, she limps back toward her companions with an awkward smile.

Against all rational thought, Claes is going to try it.

[roll0]

Still_I_Rise
2015-04-14, 11:32 PM
Fel Kahan

Fel raises her eyebrows as her companions fail to do any better than her. "Indeed, who would have thought the beam would prove so tricky? Oh well - there will be other things to do," she laughs.

At the sight of Claes making her way even a foot or two across, she is quite impressed, however. She claps as Claes comes back over to them. "Well done!" she says, quite genuinely.

Bounty Hunter
2015-04-15, 12:55 AM

Finnean starts a slow clap for Claes

HappyMerecat
2015-04-15, 07:22 PM
Ta'Tok

Ta'Tok smiles broadly towards Claes and seemingly goes to hug her and at the last moment stops himself. "You are amazing Claes, you did better than us all."

Bounty Hunter
2015-04-15, 09:59 PM

"I wonder if they allow do-overs?"

Dire Moose
2015-04-15, 10:50 PM
Siella

Siella slow-claps along with Finnean.

"Very well done, Claes. I see the universe must have wanted to teach the rest of us a lesson in humility."

Smileybastard
2015-04-16, 05:01 AM
The man operating the challenge looks at Finnean. "Sure, if you wish. This is game more than a contest."

Felyndiira
2015-04-18, 08:34 AM
Claes

The girl is trying her best to look humble, but could not resist the temptation to bow to her new companions.

Just luck.

She thinks for a while, and adds:

And a bit of advice from
Pole Running for Dummies
by Orc Orcson.

The book and its author, of course, doesn't actually exist (at least not to her knowledge), and she's just joking around.

Still_I_Rise
2015-04-21, 10:48 PM
Fel shrugs and steps back up to the beam. "Well, so long as there aren't any rules against it, I'll try it out again. I didn't expect to have too much trouble with it the first time, actually."

She grins at Claes before she steps back on. "Orc Orcson? I wonder what he did to deserve that!"

This time she rushes across the beam quite quickly, dropping back down to the ground again with graceful intent. "That's more like it," she says, more to herself than the others.

Acrobatics: [roll0]

Bounty Hunter
2015-04-22, 09:58 AM

"Parents must not have loved 'em to much to have had a name like that eh? Lest it was just a pen name...but that might be worse since it means he had the ability to pick it for himself." Finnean says in response to Fel and watches as she climbs back up on the balancing beam and makes a much better run of things this time. The gnome gives a small bit of applause and cheers her completion of the challenge.

Dire Moose
2015-04-23, 04:45 PM
Siella

As the townsfolk try their luck on the balance beam, Siella's animal companion Lyren leaps on it.

[roll0]

The mountain lion walks almost to the end of the beam, slips, and falls off. He quickly dashes away with a look of "You didn't see that!" on his face.

Smileybastard
2015-04-23, 08:31 PM
At noon, Father Zantus and his acolytes wheel a large covered wagon into the square, and after recounting the short parable of how Desna fist fell
to earth and was nursed back to health by a blind child whom she transformed into an immortal butterfly as a reward for her aid, they pull aside the wagon's cover, releasing the thousand children of Desna-a furious storm of swallowtail butterflies that swarm into the air in a spiraling riot of color to a great cheer from the crowd. Throughout the rest of the day, children futilely chase butterflies,never quite quick enough to catch them.

Felyndiira
2015-04-23, 09:50 PM
Claes listened intently as Father Zantus spoke. She seemed more interested in the story of Desna than any of the other attractions in the event; though the story was not, strictly, fun or exciting like the impromptu archery, it carried a sort of weight within the girl's heart. Just as quickly, though, her concentration was broken - she looked away as the priest mentioned the ascension of the boy, and her gaze met that of the Shoanti warrior. With a faint smile, she wrote a few words on her blackboard and showed it secretly to the giant of a man.

They're releasing the butterflies
soon. Catching one is supposed
to represent good luck, though
it hasn't happened yet.

She laughed silently, going through the motions without a sliver of sound from her lips, and added another message:

It's all a children's game, I think.
They did the same in Magnimar,
and I caught one. It didn't seem
to help me at all.

Claes looked at her right foot, and the stiff, wooden replacement hidden underneath leather stockings and long boots that did not match the rest of her simple clothing. She seemed to pause for a moment, lost in thought as if remembering something from her past; for the briefest moment her lips turned to a scowl, as if menacing at some apparition that only she could see. It didn't take long, though, before she reverted to the cheerful, serene Claes that accompanied the four wanderers - as if nothing had happened, she looked longingly at the children playing around with the butterflies for a moment before her gaze turned, once again, toward the Shoanti warrior.

You'll have to tell me more about
the great eagle spirit sometime.

Perhaps he could bring more luck
to the town than just butterflies.

"有可能,它也只是一个幻想的东西," she added under her breath, away from her companions' notice, whispering hoarsely in Varisian - and softly enough so that no one can hear her.

HappyMerecat
2015-04-25, 05:12 PM
Ta'Tok

Ta'Tok reads Claes' signs. "It is the Hawk who has brought me here, but for what I do not know. " He smiles, holds up his big hand and Neeka. "Neeka might, but she is not telling."

"Shriikirri favors the brave and aids those who through that bravery act. He aids mostly through subtle signs. It is not the strong she guides but the brave. I think he would like you Claes."

Dire Moose
2015-04-25, 07:36 PM
Lyren goes nuts as soon as the butterflies are released, leaping around trying to catch them. Siella is currently occupied trying to keep him from inadvertently knocking things down.

Bounty Hunter
2015-04-26, 11:04 PM

"Strange to think that catching one would be good luck." Finnean chuckles to himself as he watches the swarm spread from the wagon and take to the skies. "I should think that the true measure of luck would be if a butterfly were to come to rest upon you by it's own free will." He backs away from the others slightly and hold out his arms for a moment as if suddenly imitating a scarecrow and waits to see if any of the butterflies seem him (and his brightly colored clothes) as a suitable perch...if even for a moment.

Felyndiira
2015-04-27, 01:11 PM
Claes

"命运么?" By habit, Claes's lips moves to form a few simple words in Varisian. It seems that she's more familiar with the language than she is with Common, though - as always - not a single sound emerges from her mouth. Her hand moves to her blackboard, though this time, she hesitates for a minute, her hands still and unsure, before a few words finally form.

In that case, maybe
I should change my faith.

She very hastily pulls back her blackboard, adding another line at the bottom.

Just kidding, of course.

She begins to write something else, but stops abruptly when the gnome bard spoke about the catching of the butterflies. She seems to be in deep thought for a minute, taking periodic glances at the children chasing the scattered butterflies. Perhaps a part of her wants to join them, but another part of her is holding back this impulse - chastising herself for even thinking of such a thing. As always, though, it's difficult to read what is really inside the girl's heart. Her hand moves through her hair and brings a strand of it to her eyes, and she spends a moment studying it, as if she was unfamiliar with herself.

She eventually begins to write again. This time, her handwriting is swift and certain - more so than any of her previous attempts to communicate with her new companions. Her message is ordinary and banal, however, in contrast to the swift strokes of its composition.

To be honest, I don't think Desna
would just bless any person
who could catch a butterfly.

It's just like merchants speaking a
prayer to her before their journey
and are eaten by wolves nonetheless.

"Just a superstition," she mouths, though once again no sound was heard. She thinks for a moment, then erases everything on her blackboard to add something else in significantly larger text.

But it's a superstition
that makes people happy,
so it's a good superstition.

At least, that's what I think.

Bounty Hunter
2015-04-27, 01:57 PM

Continuing to hold his arms out in hopes of a butterfly perching on him, Finnean glances a watchful eye towards Lyren the mountain lion as she romps around in a frenzied chase of the fluttering shapes. Doing his best to keep up he juggles his attention between the antics of Siella and her pet, Claes and her slew of words scribbled across the tiny blackboard, and Ta'Tok as he reveals some of the customs and beliefs of the people where he's from. And of course that's not to mention the bustling crowd of both natives and travelers running around, chattering, and merrymaking. It was all so exciting that he felt the desire to pull out his notebook and begin scribbling down little bits of information about this or that but there was quite a bit to keep up with so he decides against it.

"No judgments here..." He chuckles in response to the most recent conversation. "...if anyone knows a thing or two about superstition it's a gnome!"

Smileybastard
2015-05-01, 07:40 PM
Finally, as the sun begins to set, Father Zantus takes the central podium, uses a thunderstone to attract everyone's attention, and clears his throat
as he prepares to recite the Prayer of First Dreaming ...

Bounty Hunter
2015-05-04, 12:29 AM

Finnean spends the remainder of the day enjoying himself around the festival. From time to time he breaks out his lute and strums an upbeat tune for the crowd or even just for himself. He'd made some pretty decent friends today, and while he'd love to have time to learn what he could from each of them but part of him still felt the draw of his quest. As the sun begins to set he makes his way back to the main courtyard and finds that Father Zantus is once again at his podium and ready for the Prayer of First Dreaming. Bowing his head he exhales and eagerly awaits to see what would be said.

Still_I_Rise
2015-05-10, 11:08 PM
Fel Kahan

Fel spends most of the rest of day going from odd activity to odd activity, seldom talking much to any one person. She finds herself somewhat drawn to the odd bunch of characters she met earlier, however - they are at least different from the average villager.

She winces slightly as Zantus sets off the thunderstone, but looks towards the podium with some interest.

Smileybastard
2015-05-11, 08:25 AM
A sharp retort, like the crack of distant thunder, slices through the excited crowd as the sun's setting rays paint the western sky. A stray dog that has crawled under a nearby wagon to sleep starts awake, and the buzz of two dozen conversations quickly hushes as all heads turn toward the central podium, where a beaming Father Zantus has taken the stage. He clears his throat, takes a breath to speak, and suddenly a woman's scream slices through the air. A few moments later, another scream rises, then another. Beyond them, a sudden surge of strange new voices rises high-pitched, tittering shrieks that sound not quite human . The crowd parts and something low to the ground races by, giggling with disturbing glee as the
stray dog gives a pained yelp and then collapses with a gurgle, its throat cut open from ear to ear. As blood pools around its head, the raucous sound of a strange song begins, chanted from shrill, scratchy voices.

"Goblins chew and goblins bite,
Goblins cut and goblins fight,
Stab the dog and cut the horse,
Goblins eat and take by force!

Goblins race and goblins jump,
Goblins slash and goblins bump,
Burn the skin and mash the head,
Goblins here and you be dead!

Chase the baby, catch the pup,
Bonk the head to shut it up!
Bones be cracked, flesh be stewed,
We the goblins—you the food!"

Felyndiira
2015-05-11, 03:14 PM
Claes

The girl turns toward the commotion. She appeared puzzled for a moment - was it just another one of those extra 'events' that happened when outlanders appeared in the festival? No, it was not - the color slowly drains from her face as a mix of shock and horror appeared on her face, replacing the warm smile that she had worn for almost the entirety of the festival.

She turns toward her companions, then back at the direction of the screams. She doesn't need to write anything - her eyes are enough to communicate everything to her new circle of friends.

This is not a part of the festival. Run.

Still_I_Rise
2015-05-11, 03:48 PM
Fel Kahan

Fel turns to the commotion in disbelief. What in the hells was this?

It doesn't take long for her eyes to change from shock to anger, however. She hadn't had any problems with the goblins in the past - but she had been ready to. That was a large part of why she carried her bow after all, and why she knew how to use it. She wasn't about to run away now.

Instead she draws her bow and nocks an arrow, keeping her eye in the direction of the hideous singing. The first goblin she lays eyes upon will regret coming here today...

HappyMerecat
2015-05-11, 03:59 PM
Ta'Tok

Seeing the panic and hearing the song begin, Ta'Tok draws his greatsword and looks for the menaces that he knows are there. Neekah sensing something is wrong scrambles into the Shoanti's belt pouch.

Perception [roll0]

Dire Moose
2015-05-13, 08:37 AM
(note: Italics indicate Siella is speaking Elven)

Siella

"Enemies!"

Siella hears the distinctive sound of goblin chanting, which she remembers from the numerous raids on her home. She instinctively starts peering around intently for the source of the sound and readies her longbow. Her companion starts hunting for them as well.

[roll0]
[roll1]

"Where are you?"

Bounty Hunter
2015-05-13, 12:49 PM

'Goblins?!?' Finnean's mind races as it dons on him that this was not some sort of festival activity but that the town might in fact be under attack. 'Why here? Why now?' His thoughts were a flurry of disjointed tidbits as he begin to scramble towards some semblance of being ready for an attack. His small rapier was dangling at his side of course but for a situation like this keeping foes at a range would be much more preferrable. He realized that his crossbow was strapped neatly to the backpack he was weaing and attempted to make reaches for it while simulatenously looking to move towards some sort of cover or defenseable position.

Smileybastard
2015-05-13, 02:55 PM
You see the panic is more to the left on the map.

that the shape that raced by and killed the
dog now hides at the wagon's edge-a single goblin,
licking the blood from its dogslicer as it looks excitedly
at the crowd, seeking out a new target.

You see three goblins in total.

Bounty Hunter
2015-05-19, 12:48 AM

"There! There! Beneath the wagon. The gnome excitedly calls out in warning as his eyes catch a glimpse of the trio of creatures lurking there. "Three of the cursed things!" Taking a bit of cover towards the rear of the group, the bard unslings his pouch and grabs his crossbow, making ready to attack the first creature he's able to get a clear shot on.

Attack : [roll0]
Damage : [roll1]

Still_I_Rise
2015-05-19, 11:04 AM
Fel Kahan

Unable to see the goblins from her current position, Fel rushes forward to get a view behind the cart, ready to fire as soon as the hidden goblin comes into her sight.

Shortbow: [roll0]
[roll1]

Dire Moose
2015-05-19, 01:45 PM
Siella

Siella tells Lyren to attack the nearest goblin.

Handle Animal: [roll0]
Bite attack: [roll1]
Bite damage: [roll2]

Siella shoots the second-closest goblin.

Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]